YesNoOk

Additional meters/bars (Read 1522 times)

Started by TinFoilMkIV, March 10, 2010, 06:30:54 pm
Share this topic:
Additional meters/bars
#1  March 10, 2010, 06:30:54 pm
    • droidz.org/
For my current MUGEN project I'm planning on adding a second power type meter (like the special/super meter but different mechanics and different uses and such). I know how to accomplish a fairly basic one on a character by character basis, so thought I'd put this here and see if anyone has any tips for improving it or even a better way to accomplish something like this.

Well the current setup is having a check helper ID in the initialization state, the intro state, and the idle/standing state, and if the helper does not exist, create a new one. The helper itself is what will create and control the meter. The helper will contain an explode ID check (make sure one of each of the graphics making up the meter exist), and a parent var check to see what value the meter is supposed to have, and then a modify explode to alter the x/y scaling (depending on orientation) on the actual bar.

one issue I've encountered with this strategy is that the helpers seem to be erased when skipping the intro animations, which is why I added a check/recreation within the intro state and idle state as well, to hopefully cover for any random helper wipes, while trying to avoid adding the helper creation into state -3 or -2, as it shouldn't be necessary.

So I suppose this can be used as reference for anyone else thinking of attempting this, as well as a discussion to help improve my own understanding and strategies for this.

So some of my own concerns about this. Ideally I'd like it to be visible at all times, not show up/dissapear when the round is starting or ending. Placement isn't too much of a concern as its yet to be decided and can be easily controlled within the helper state. Something I would like to know is if there's a more effective/efficient way to accomplish creating a reliable secondary meter, or even a way to somehow add it into the round state coding or something of the sort for a full game project.
Re: Additional meters/bars
#2  March 10, 2010, 06:52:46 pm
  • Nothing ever ends
    • Portugal
    • www.justnopoint.com/loona
IIRC Bia's GB characters used an extra bar for their version of a MAX mode - I don't recall if it stayed on-screen all the time or just during that mode, but they could be handy to look into:

http://www.justnopoint.com/loona/bia/index.html