YesNoOk

Hogwarts: The Dueling Club, 1942 (Read 35068 times)

Started by Liquid Jake, November 19, 2010, 08:57:22 pm
Hogwarts: The Dueling Club, 1942
New #1  November 19, 2010, 08:57:22 pm
    • USA

Because my kids asked me to, I'm making a game that takes place in the Harry Potter universe.

10 playable characters (students) and 3 non-playable (teachers), eight stages and a unique screenpack.  The plan is to have a playable demo (2 characters and 1 stage) out late this year or early next year, and the full game out next summer at or about the time of the last movie.

It's first and foremost a kids game, so don't expect anything difficult.  Wands only, no contact, and that means no melee attacks, only spells.  And there's a lot of them.

The screenpack is finished, as is the Headmaster's Office stage.  I'm working on the characters and the spells now.

Sprites are mostly from Maple Story, with a lot of hand-drawn editing.  This is a huge comsuption of time, but it's been a lot of fun.

Let me know what you think...
Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 10:51:15 pm by Liquid Jake
Re: Hogwarts: The Dueling Club, 1942
#2  November 19, 2010, 09:01:30 pm
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
I think it's cool that you're making this thing entirely for your kids.  But I got to say that your stages look vastly unproportional to your characters.  Since the characters are chibi type sprites, your stages should be smaller in proportion to reflect that.  Good luck.
#3  November 19, 2010, 09:02:26 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
Lol, that looks more like Emo Fighter II or something but i love it. all characters in black clothes is excellent
#4  November 19, 2010, 09:03:46 pm
    • USA
The stage and character sprites are basically all from Maple Story, using their established goofy scale.

Thanks for the input, but I'm sticking with it as-is.
#5  November 19, 2010, 09:06:38 pm
  • Everyone has darkness,Fight it or EMBRACE it
actually looks like it would be fun to play and the spell thing makes since as well I havent seen Harry Potter but I'm sure there arent too many people punching and kicking each other. Also what your doing for your kids is AWESOME I wish I had a parent who knew how to code in ANY language lol
#6  November 19, 2010, 09:06:47 pm
  • Just a butcher on a mission
    • www.justnopoint.com/lbends
Yes I think the ground should be higher, as is the space looks rather empty.
#7  November 20, 2010, 10:30:48 am
  • The Only Easy Day was Yesterday
    • USA
    • www.facebook.com/truemicah
Who will be on this game?

None of the displayed chars look anything like Harry or the rest of the gang..
#8  November 20, 2010, 02:34:19 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
I think it's cool that you're making this thing entirely for your kids.
THIS. It's really very sweet to dedicate so much time for them in making a Mugen game.

Well, looks like gameplay won't be my cup of tea. The screenpack is really lovely, I really like the select screen, very creative. :)
#9  November 20, 2010, 04:26:21 pm
    • USA
The game takes place in 1942, so it's not Harry and his crew.  The top-left guy is Tom Riddle, who goes on to be Voldemort.  Setting it way back when gives me more room for artistic liberties, essentially.

True to the Potter universe, all the portraits move, so the select screen and that stage are both a little busy, but it looks pretty cool.  The crystal ball on the shelf under the portraits is used for selecting the stage.

Thanks for the feedback, everybody!
#10  November 20, 2010, 06:16:20 pm
  • The life of a dish is not an easy one.
    • USA
    • mugenplate.webs.com/
Could always put in Hagrid before his wand was broke as a playable person if you run out of ideas. :p
Stuff
#11  November 20, 2010, 06:44:45 pm
    • USA
Hagrid is top row, second from right.  Right between Moaning Myrtle and Eileen Prince, Snape's mom.

The story and characters are mostly right out of the books, with a lot of research at Mugglenet and the Harry Potter Wiki.  It's an awfully fleshed-out universe, and that makes things a little more fun.  Everything in the game is true to story, and true to canon.

The Pottheads are a rabid bunch, and I'd hate to do anything wrong by them...
#12  November 20, 2010, 08:02:33 pm
  • The life of a dish is not an easy one.
    • USA
    • mugenplate.webs.com/
Ah my bad, guess I was just used to him being a bit more wider. :P Best of luck to your project and as a Harry Potter Book fan I look forword to this.
Stuff
#13  December 02, 2010, 06:20:21 am
  • I'm already Tracer
    • Canada
It looks much better! I'm interested in how wandplay works, obviously it's a kid game but will that mean a whole bunch of spammable spells?
#14  December 02, 2010, 09:32:51 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
I would hope for a kinda spell code system? Like, hold down A and press F, F, B or something simple like that. Obviously as it's meant to be for kids you wouldn't want to go overboard but the MK style would fit pretty well. It would also let you use a lot more spells than just setting 1 per button. Stuffing the command up would net you something basic like stun or petrify.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#15  December 03, 2010, 03:11:10 am
    • USA
The game is four-button; Hex, Jinx, Charm and Curse.  If you've read the books, you'll recognize the four different types of spellcasting.  Smashing any one button will make your character wave their wand and shoot off pretty sparks, but it won't hit anything or hurt anybody.  To do that, you've actually got to cast a spell.

There are 32 standard spells in the game, meaning every character has them.  They are all essentially special moves.  My kids are fighting game veterans, so the moves will be standard direction taps, charges and rolls, plus whatever button for the type of spell you're casting.

Some of the spells, in addition to being standard special moves, are also hypers; Castable at higher levels using the bronze, silver and gold power bars above the health bar.  For instance, Expelliarmus, the disarming charm.  As a standard special move anyone can cast it, at any time, and it'll travel a short ways in front of your casting character.  If your opponent is close enough, and if they haven't cast Protego, which protects them from charms for a short time, then they're disarmed and they have to go and pick up their wand before they can cast any more spells.  But cast Expelliarmus with three full power bars and your opponent is knocked backwards and disarmed regardless of where they are, and it can only be blocked by a level-3 Protego spell.

Above all this, each character has at least 2 more hyper-type spells unique to them.  These are hyper only, so they can't be cast without at least the bronze bar full.

This is all fairly mind-numbing to code, but I'm still confident that it can be done.  When I called it a kid's game, I meant don't expect any Godlike AI, and the moveslist for all ten characters, at least for their 32 generic spells, will be exactly the same.
#16  December 06, 2010, 04:49:19 pm
  • Humanity can be so much more
    • Jamaica
    • https://network.mugenguild.com/makkah/
Wow, 32 sounds like a lot of moves to have be exactly the same between all the characters in a game. Even if it's meant for children. May be you could make slight variations in the way the spells are cast to give it more variety? Some characters being able to cast faster than others, for example. Or perhaps the angle that they hold their wand causes the spell to arc or something. Even the speed at which the spell travels across the screen, or even stopping half way, but causing more damage if it hits. Y'know, something.
#17  December 06, 2010, 05:40:14 pm
This is super adorable  ;D
#18  December 06, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
    • USA
What if they were different between Houses?  The students are divided up between 4 Houses, how about if each house was particularly good at one of the classes of spells?  Then at least there'd be 4 different movelists...

EDIT:  I like this idea, I'm going with it.  Each House is better than the others at one certain type of spell, and so when they cast that type it'll go further, faster, and hit harder.

Each House has their own movelist, plus the two spells unique to each character.

Game on.
Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 03:08:56 am by Liquid Jake
#19  December 07, 2010, 11:29:13 am
  • Humanity can be so much more
    • Jamaica
    • https://network.mugenguild.com/makkah/
Yeah, that sounds much better. :)
#20  December 10, 2010, 08:35:26 am
    • USA