YesNoOk

"Best of" Mugen edition: Starting a list?? (Read 4687 times)

Started by Saikoro, April 30, 2012, 08:31:53 pm
Share this topic:
"Best of" Mugen edition: Starting a list??
#1  April 30, 2012, 08:31:53 pm
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/saikoros-high-resolution-mugen-portraits-fatal-fury-full-set-145724.0.html
I wanted to do this a while back, but what the hell. It's before class, I've been reading for a college essay, and I'm getting tired of seeing threads like this start and go nowhere.

I'd like to possibly start a growing list of "Best of Editions" starting with Capcom VS SNK releases. Some of you may say that this is becomming redundant considering this is like the upteenth time that something like this has started. Perhaps we can all go and use a Wiki or Guild's very own database. "Yup, this is stupid!!" some might say. True, and valid points. But take into consideration that plenty of users don't know even where to begin with an ocean of Ryus, Akumas and Kens out there. There are also plenty of forum goers who are not as active as, say, MaxBeta, ExShadow and I, so they don't know where to start. Also, more seasoned forum goers can make the best recommendations to create a solid and definitive list. I'm all for being definitive!!  ;D

I'd like to start compiling a list of these best of characters with links or something (I'm brainstorming). What do you guys think?? Should I try?? Should I immediately lock this thread?? Should I even bother??

Feedback please....
All of your Mugen Portrait needs may be found HERE.

I'd like to report two robots on the MFG forums: One is EXShadow. The other is Saikoro.
There should be a Saikoro plugin for Photoshop.
Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 08:36:59 pm by Saikoro
Re: "Best of" Mugen edition: Starting a list??
#2  April 30, 2012, 08:52:35 pm
  • (´ー`)ノ
Actually that may be useful. Perhaps more of a guide to point newbies in the direction to get the most accurate characters? I was stuck on finding a good Ryu for a while and sadly I spent months without using POTS' Ryu, and asking people for the best version of a character can get pretty annoying sometimes. I say go for it if you're willing to make it.
#3  April 30, 2012, 08:59:49 pm
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/saikoros-high-resolution-mugen-portraits-fatal-fury-full-set-145724.0.html
Actually that may be useful. Perhaps more of a guide to point newbies in the direction to get the most accurate characters? I was stuck on finding a good Ryu for a while and sadly I spent months without using POTS' Ryu, and asking people for the best version of a character can get pretty annoying sometimes. I say go for it if you're willing to make it.

My point exactly. People will always want to make a definitive roster, regardless of tastes, so aimlessly surfing for a "best version" of a particular character can be a pain in the ass.

And from a popular author/creators standpoint, this could be a good opportunity to make yourself known to forum newbies. It's a win-win if you ask me. Any other takers??

I'd like to report two robots on the MFG forums: One is EXShadow. The other is Saikoro.
#4  April 30, 2012, 10:35:48 pm
  • Hedgehog Whisperer
  • Red Bull addict
    • Spain
    • xgargoyle.mgbr.net
not everybody likes POTS style characters...
XGargoyle: Battle posing since 1979
http://xgargoyle.mgbr.net
http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=e71c0d43fe35093a  <-- Please click that link
http://paypal.me/XGargoyle  <-- Donations welcome!
#5  April 30, 2012, 10:50:20 pm
  • You ugly! We fix!
I think this is a good idea, bro... but maybe not with Capcon vs SNK releases to start off with... the reason is that a user will quickly figure out that either POTS, Jmorphbro, Warusaki, Zero-Sennin (to some extent) have produced more than just a few stellar CvS creations. Hell, Jmorph is pretty active and newbs will most likely come across one of his release threads and notice how many users suck his dick on there. They'll figure out that his shit is, in fact, the shit! Okay, sorry for being so vulgar, but you get the point...

Other systems though, like KoF, SvC, Darkstalkers and Marvel/comic book releases are harder to come by (I mean, GOOD releases are harder to come by ad more eclectic) with a HUGE number of authors releasing hit or miss creations using these particular systems. These are harder for a newb to weed through and I think starting with these would most likely be more beneficial.

That's just my two cents though  :sugoi:
These palettes better make me cum rainbows when I see them.
#6  April 30, 2012, 11:55:47 pm
  • i'm a gay trans lady
  • bloon
    • USA
    • Skype - MelvanaInChains
    • www.melv.thedailypos.org/mainsite/smoothsilksamples.html
#7  April 30, 2012, 11:58:55 pm
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
I usually use GM's Street Fighter characters, I like bringing what I have from the source games over into Mugen. 
#8  May 01, 2012, 12:10:20 am
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
can i quote this a million times? seriously can other people and styles be brought up?

Remember, I'm brainstorming. Capcom VS SNK is the easiest to list and compile. I'm gonna get to something substancial very soon. Your feedback helps!! MC2, yeah you. Comments with good recommendations are helpful.

#9  May 01, 2012, 12:12:46 am
  • I will absolve you of your original colors.
    • www.bluehitbox.com
A huge, textual list of characters' names?
#10  May 01, 2012, 12:25:46 am
  • IG @tanooki_ninja
    • Puerto Rico
    • maxbeta.webs.com/mugen.htm
A noob friendly list to finally separate good shit from broken shit?

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
"We need other people in order to create the circumstances for the learning that we are here to generate" RIP Adam Yauch aka MCA
www.instagram.com/tanooki_ninja
#11  May 01, 2012, 12:50:36 am
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
A huge, textual list of characters' names?

With proper spoiler use to avoid unnecessary clutter, categorization, basic to-the-point descriptions and links. Think of it as an ever evolving sticky thread. I'd like to go along the lines of "If your looking for a very accurate X system Ryu, then this is the one you want by X. This other one by X is just as good, because..." etc, etc, etc. I would also like to be a little descriptive as to why that specific character made this list (Coding, Aesthetics, etc.). The list would properly populate based off what people have to say too.

Again, this is all brainstorming. I'd like to start something after next week as Quinnipiac holds finals starting Monday and Wednesday for me. Then its on to this and more portraits with releases.

Lastly, this idea came about as there really is no definitive listing that points out whats actually good within Mugen. There are constant mentions of what's good, but nothing like what I have in mind. And it sucks to do a shit ton of searching with no direction. We've all been there. It kinda sucks. Especially for newbs who haven't a clue.

Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 12:57:11 am by Saikoro
#12  May 01, 2012, 01:09:45 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
Define good first.

Some people make good stuff but it's not universally loved. Some people make fun stuff that's not really that good from any other standpoint.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#13  May 01, 2012, 01:49:44 am
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
Hmmm... Instead of going with the standard and common "Well, P.o.t.S. Ryu because..." I would say:

Omega Red by... you. He is coded impeccably, plays very accurate to his source, and he is just plain fun. I'm going by standards like this. Not a shit list only because a character is on it just to fill a gaping hole in someones roster.

A few other mentions: GM's creations, they are just amazing in many ways. Rajaa's Melty Blood creations and JMorphMan's CvS creations are simply awesome. KoopaKoot's KoF characters are very well done, and in my opinion, Muteki's GGX releases. Yeah, they're not 100% amazing coding wise (from what I hear) but they are the best you can get. And the entire roster is done by the same author, which makes for solid consistency.

Please correct me if I'm wrong with any better selections you have in mind. Which is the point in all of this.

MDD

#14  May 01, 2012, 03:37:10 am
  • OG Pallette Goon
  • Only here for one night let me put it on ya face
Also note that "fun" characters are not always "good" characters.
#15  May 01, 2012, 08:18:40 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
Something like Shin God Orochi for example IS fun, you go round destroying things and it's amusing. Doesn't mean it's good.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#16  May 01, 2012, 11:30:48 pm
There should be different categories of "good", perhaps source-accurate and custom. Or maybe even have a way for us all to vote for and vote off characters for the list. I think it'll be better that way.
#17  May 01, 2012, 11:36:12 pm
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
There should be different categories of "good", perhaps source-accurate and custom. Or maybe even have a way for us all to vote for and vote off characters for the list. I think it'll be better that way.

Suggestion certainly noted.  ;D

2OS

#18  May 02, 2012, 01:09:26 am
  • 608 Wannabe
  • Ich schicke dich zur HOELLE!! STIRB DU FEIGLING!!
    • Egypt
    • deuceovspadez.webs.com/
""fun"" and ""good"" are varying terms and they usually vary even further upon what it is you're actually judging.

For accuracy it's ""good"" if it's accurate ( duh ). For customs / creativity it's ""good"" if character traits remain / there's a sense of balance / it's not an SOS ( same old shit ). For jokes it's ""good"" if it's funny ( duh again ).

I generally find things ""good"" if they take honest and / or extreme effort ( they're not lazy ). I don't care if it's accurate/custom/joke/cheap/nuke/hack/mixture, I'll respect it.
Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 01:13:09 am by 2OS
#19  May 02, 2012, 08:56:13 am
    • Canada
    • www.mugencoder.com
Well, you can start off with series, as many as you can come up with

"Best MBAA Characters"
List goes here with creator's names

"Best (series) chracters", etc.

Or you can go on a categorical list based on fighting styles.

CVS Style
POTS Style
MBAA Style
Originals (Dragon Claw, etc)

Or based on Fighters
"Shotoken"
"Capoeira"
"TKD"
"Wrestling"
etc...

Just some suggestions, but this is going to be a loooong list LOL