YesNoOk

KFM Base? (Read 1214 times)

Started by Dr. Bob, Beautician, April 22, 2012, 06:05:39 pm
Share this topic:
KFM Base?
#1  April 22, 2012, 06:05:39 pm
  • You ugly! We fix!
Hi all,

Alright, I know I've posted on this particular board before and, while I try to mess around with creating a character for MUGEN every few months, I have yet to actually achieve anything. BUT I will say that I learn something new every time I try my hand at it.

Last time I tried creating a character, it actually went pretty well but I then got discouraged when it came to creating special moves. The code was just too much for me. I let time go by and I just ended up deleting the WIP. Lame? Maybe. But that's how I generally roll. I prefer to restart a character and thus forcing myself to keep working on the basics until I get them down.

Anyway, my Q here today is about starting template. I used the elecbyte template that comes with FF and I later found out that it was a definite NO NO when it came to creating a character. This time around, I'm gonna go ahead and follow some of your suggestions and work with KFM. What I would like to know, however, is how to I remake the .sff if I start with KFM?? Do I just replace every KFM sprite with the new sprites as I move along or do I delete the .sff completely? And if I do that, how do I create a new one while maintaining the same kung-fu man base?

Thanks for your tips, peeps. I'm learning, albeit very SLOWLY since I only have time for this kind of stuff during the summer, after the semester ends. 

EDIT: HOLY CRAP! I cant open KFM using FF classic???
These palettes better make me cum rainbows when I see them.
Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 10:15:51 pm by perrywinkle
Re: KFM Base?
#2  April 22, 2012, 10:25:43 pm
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
New KFM works with FF3. Delete the sff file. Create a new .txt file and rename it to yourname.sff. You can then do as you wish.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#3  April 23, 2012, 06:14:58 am
    • USA
When I started, I imported sprites to replace the existing KFM images, not changing his numbers so that the existing code would all work.  This caused all sorts of palette issues and, eventually, I had to rebuild the .sff file from scratch.  But, by that time, I had learned a bit more about what I was actually doing.  Plus, I had learned that Mugen actually uses "standards" for things;  Those standards are, obviously, used in KFM.

In the end, I think you'll learn more by doing things wrong a few times, instead of doing them correct right away.  I know I did...
#4  April 23, 2012, 04:09:53 pm
  • You ugly! We fix!
New KFM works with FF3. Delete the sff file. Create a new .txt file and rename it to yourname.sff. You can then do as you wish.

FF3? I'll check the other boards on here. The only two FF's I've worked with are Classic and Ultimate so far. And yeah, I was surprised when I could not open KFM (the one that comes with MUGEN 1.0) with FF classic.

But thanks for clearing that up, guys. I'll look into it now.
These palettes better make me cum rainbows when I see them.
#5  April 23, 2012, 06:49:14 pm
    • USA
    • speedy9199.webs.com/index.htm
I used the elecbyte template that comes with FF and I later found out that it was a definite NO NO when it came to creating a character.

I've never had any problem using the elecbyte template... I suggest you use the elecbyte template instead of using base characters or editing characters because when doing so other problems may occur. Like palette or coding issues. If you are new to coding and creation and when this happens you'll have no idea what's causing the problem or how to fix it. If you start off fresh and use the elecbyte template "most" problems you'll have you will create yourself and have a much easier time to solve the problem. IMO it's easier to learn things and create stuff if you start fresh instead of working with premade things because if you don't you might get "lost" and confused from things.

The answer to most of your mugen problems is to know more math.

How can you get the "feel" of a character if you are only touching a keyboard or controller?!?!
#6  April 23, 2012, 11:36:58 pm
  • Legendary XIII
    • New Zealand
Ignore that. Ignore it totally. I rule this forum and nobody is suggesting that fucking template ever. Don't use it. DO NOT. KFM, anything, not the elecbyte template.

Why? Because i have seen it break things in ways that make no sense. I've seen SFF's stop working because you added a single sprite. I've seen characters stop for no reason just because you added a trigger. IT DOES WEIRD SHIT.

Just because you haven't experienced said weird shit doesn't mean it doesn't happen. It also doesn't mean you're going to be the one who works through fixing it when it breaks. As it's often incomprehensible the "fix" is start again. So don't use it. Stick with KFM please.

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#7  April 24, 2012, 12:40:46 am
    • USA
Ignore that. Ignore it totally. I rule this forum and nobody is suggesting that fucking template ever. Don't use it. DO NOT. KFM, anything, not the elecbyte template.

Why? Because i have seen it break things in ways that make no sense. I've seen SFF's stop working because you added a single sprite. I've seen characters stop for no reason just because you added a trigger. IT DOES WEIRD SHIT.

Just because you haven't experienced said weird shit doesn't mean it doesn't happen. It also doesn't mean you're going to be the one who works through fixing it when it breaks. As it's often incomprehensible the "fix" is start again. So don't use it. Stick with KFM please.

Look I didn't know that it does that. If I knew that I wouldn't have suggested it. You don't have to say your first two sentences like that with the tone of a crazy nerd... jeez....

How can you get the "feel" of a character if you are only touching a keyboard or controller?!?!
#8  April 24, 2012, 12:50:08 am
  • Does this look like the face of mercy?
he said it like that because he already knows about the problems with the template based on his own experience and when people came asking for help and it turned out the problem was said template
#9  April 24, 2012, 01:05:18 am
  • Legendary XIII
    • New Zealand
I said it like that because i keep having to tell people not to suggest it. You'd be about number 15.

#10  April 24, 2012, 01:24:44 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
pretty much everyone uses a previous character as a template too, nobody starts from zero.
#11  April 24, 2012, 02:46:41 am
    • USA
pretty much everyone uses a previous character as a template too, nobody starts from zero.

I said it like that because i keep having to tell people not to suggest it. You'd be about number 15.

How I start my characters is that I create a folder, use fighter factory and create the basic files and then select templates and then "elecbyte" and then I copy and paste the .common file into the folder and pretty much start from there. Seriously. I start ALL my characters that way, no editing a previous character what so ever not even KFM or even my own characters. All you start with is the required and basic cns states, and the basic commands to do them. I do this because I fear that if I edit an already existing character, later along the line of creation I might run into a coding problem and that problem might be caused by a code from the previous character and I will have a hard time to fix it because I would be unaware that that caused the problem. I've created many characters and not once have I had something "strange" happen to me(that I was aware of) that Cyanide said when creating this way but if Cyanide says if this causes problems though....

Also Cyanide can you give me a thread link to an example when someone had this problem with the template?

#12  April 24, 2012, 09:47:58 am
  • Legendary XIII
    • New Zealand
http://mugenguild.com/forumx/index.php?topic=109813.msg1032668#msg1032668
There is one. That's kinda recent. It doesn't quite count the number of silly things i've dealt with prior to that. Deleting 5300 is actually pretty reasonable, but getting to the point where you find out that's the problem is a pain in the ass. It's much simpler if people don't use it ever (or make their own, it's just a stripped down KFM after all) than use it and have us (or me more accurately) work out that their "Crash because i added a playsnd" is caused because they used a buggy base. As you can see in that thread, his character has been working fine, he added 5 lines of code THEN it broke. That's what it does. And it's terrible.

#13  April 24, 2012, 08:30:58 pm
    • USA
I love this place.