YesNoOk

[Theme Thread] CVS Sprite thread (Read 2973619 times)

Started by Formerly Hoshi, April 21, 2010, 09:51:37 pm
Re: [Theme Thread] CVS Sprite thread
#6701  February 11, 2020, 11:03:24 am
    • crepa.neocities.org
Athena looks good, but doesn't feel like CvS.
Well, that applies to most Dampir sprites too. I suppose it's just a matter of making SF and KOF characters play against each other without having them look TOO different. But what do you think it looks more like? SFA?

What I mean is, that Athena still looks like a KOF sprite, but with some color and shading changes.
To make it more clear, here is a comparison that I took from here:

Yuri looks a bit more muscular in her CvS sprite, you can see it by looking at her legs, also her hands and feets are bigger than the SNK version.
What I'm trying to say is, if you want to make a SNK sprite more CvS'ish, you need to rework the proportions too, not just the shading.
#6702  February 11, 2020, 05:42:39 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
This is supposed to be a CVS sprite thread though, so obviously people are looking for correct proportions/rules for the style

That just looks mostly like a KOF sprite with CVS shading (which is what many of Dampir's spritesets do look like)
#6703  February 11, 2020, 07:37:28 pm
  • Nothing lasts forever Jack
    • Argentina
    • simonrojasnoel@hotmail.com
Credits to Chuchoryu for the original sprite

Credits to Diepod for the original sprite
#6704  February 11, 2020, 11:02:39 pm
    • Brazil
What I mean is, that Athena still looks like a KOF sprite, but with some color and shading changes.
To make it more clear, here is a comparison that I took from here:

Yuri looks a bit more muscular in her CvS sprite, you can see it by looking at her legs, also her hands and feets are bigger than the SNK version.
What I'm trying to say is, if you want to make a SNK sprite more CvS'ish, you need to rework the proportions too, not just the shading.
This is supposed to be a CVS sprite thread though, so obviously people are looking for correct proportions/rules for the style

That just looks mostly like a KOF sprite with CVS shading (which is what many of Dampir's spritesets do look like)
I agree pretty much with you guys, the proportions and other details are very important, but at the same i notice that a lot of people here are beginners, so shading is the 1st step they go for, which is already hard and time-consuming. I'd say that adjusting proportions is the next step, because it may even involve totally redrawing of parts. I think saying "it's wrong" seems to not acknowledge that it's just a beginning for many of these creators.

lui

#6705  February 12, 2020, 01:23:09 am
    • USA
?? how are you supposed to be informed without being let known about what the exact issue is? Being a beginner doesn't mean you should just ignore actual information that can help you out alot, that sort of just sounds like you're patting yourself on the back
#6706  February 12, 2020, 01:57:05 am
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!

I swear there was something cool here!!
#6707  February 12, 2020, 03:01:37 am
    • Brazil
?? how are you supposed to be informed without being let known about what the exact issue is? Being a beginner doesn't mean you should just ignore actual information that can help you out alot, that sort of just sounds like you're patting yourself on the back
I don't mess with that stuff, i know the basics but i don't think spriting is for me tbh

That said, i'm not defending myself, just the guy who posted that Athena sprite, i think it looks good but it needs to be worked on to look more CvS, i just think going to proportions and redrawing right off the bat is overkill if the guy doesn't even understand how the light source works.

How is that unreasonable?
#6708  February 12, 2020, 03:41:44 am
    • crepa.neocities.org
Well, as I said, the sprite looks good, it just doesn't feel like CvS. I made the same mistake a while ago, I took a sprite from another game and just worked on the shading without changing proportions and the result wasn't that good either.

Thankfully Apathy gave me some light on that.
#6709  February 12, 2020, 10:35:47 pm
    • USA
Adjusted the shading
#6710  February 13, 2020, 01:08:45 am
    • Brazil
Adjusted the shading

Looks great! Next step you could do as suggested above and try to change body proportions.

First and foremost i think you should change the size of the sprite. Since CvS sprites are usually bulkier, i'd personally scale it to 110% width x 100% height.

Then you could modify things like the size of the feet, the circumference of thighs/legs and other things that more experienced spriters could tell better than me.
#6711  February 13, 2020, 01:35:22 am
    • USA
I see. When I compared her CVS Sprites to mine, there really isn't any difference between the size, so she can blend in with other CVS sprites without resizing.
#6712  February 16, 2020, 12:29:14 pm
  • busy, busy....
    • Poland
It's high time to shake off some rust.

SFV Seth. [Credit goes to Delusion Trim. I used his sketch as a base to make my sprite]

...and quick edit of Shao Kun's Balrog:

Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 01:06:44 am by sabockee
#6713  February 16, 2020, 06:36:19 pm
    • Argentina
Both Seth and Balrog look great, my only complain is that the bottom lip looks quite big
#6714  February 17, 2020, 02:40:40 am
    • Chile
Behold my very first sprite from 2006

Yes it was on the perfect jpg format

Yes I wanted to make it Evil Kyo but ended with Victim of Domestic Abuse Kyo

#6715  February 17, 2020, 10:46:44 pm
  • busy, busy....
    • Poland
Both Seth and Balrog look great, my only complain is that the bottom lip looks quite big

Thanks, Shao. I'm glad that you like my edits. Your skills improved a lot lately. That Nash looks great.

Balrog's lip indeed looks too big LOL, on zoomed sprite it seemed fine :) Thankfully it is easy to fix.
#6716  February 18, 2020, 01:26:07 am
    • Argentina
Mr Karate, of course I didn't want to draw that hand, it looked painfully awful. Credits to demongorne for the head.
#6717  February 18, 2020, 03:17:19 am
  • Formerly known as HyperClawManiac
  • Competitive MUGEN when?
    • UK
    • sites.google.com/view/ragingrowen/home
The head just looks tiny with those proportions, dunno if it's the positioning or the mask.
WIP Schedule:
The next Street Fighter All-Stars update
#6718  February 18, 2020, 03:24:43 am
    • Chile

How about that?
#6719  February 18, 2020, 04:09:38 am
  • T.G. "Thunder God" Xenomic
    • USA
    • Skype - shinxenomic@hotmail.com
    • http://network.mugenguild.com/xenomic/