Share this topic:

Ax

MvC Link - RELEASED
#1  January 23, 2013, 03:43:00 am
    • USA
MvC Link - RELEASED

Download

http://mugenmultiverse.fanbb.net/t650-mvc-link-released#8229

Released Link today. He has a few bugs and some stuff may fail here and there but anyway, try it out. This is the first beta. Enjoy!

Special thanks to all those that supported this wip and those that contributed to this project.
Seek Truth
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Re: MvC Link - RELEASED
#2  January 23, 2013, 04:14:02 am
    • Brazil
I can't believe, its finally here.

Ax

#3  January 23, 2013, 04:26:48 am
    • USA
It should have been sooner but my PC had a power failure with its charger. I had to wait a while to get the money for a new one. Damn checks take too long in coming. Anyway I finished up some and I added a little extra such as the intro, win, and fairy thing that came from another Lin's code. 

Anyway, glad you like it.

I'm just happy that this one is over now and I can finally move onto something new again.

Seek Truth
#4  January 23, 2013, 04:33:48 am
  • shit at most things but ok at some
    • Australia
I've been looking forward to this!
i make bad videos watch them if you like bad videos (http://www.youtube.com/user/EchFilm?feature=watch)
#5  January 23, 2013, 06:06:10 am
  • Amature Spriter, Voice Pack Maker, Friend.
Congratulations on the release, the things you have done with this version of Link have been awesome. I'll definitly be putting him in my roster, now all I need is Marth. :P

Hope eventually you can get around to having fixed any bugs he may have in the future. Best of Luck on your Wips.

:)
#6  January 23, 2013, 06:32:34 am
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
Alright here's my opinion

-Debug flood all over the place.
-Velocities on dashes are way too fast to be MVC.
-Super jump has too much startup.
-No launcher?  Launchers are standard for air combos in MVC.
-His anim timings are very weird, which makes him look like he animates worse than he probably should.
-A lot of his normals are just too fast and too safe.
-He doesn't seem to have any special cancels.
-The opponent can move during his super pauses.  The aforementioned lack of cancels makes this even worse as he has to do his supers raw, which means they are easily dodged.
-Jump physics feel very wacky, not very MVC like at all.
-His stance is not very fitting, and makes the rest of his animations look bad due to poor transition.
-You left all the Silver Surfer files in the folder not renamed, including the board state (presumably for the leaf super).

I'm sorry, but this just feels like a very sloppy, rushed character.  It doesn't play much like MVC at all and it's very hard to play him because he doesn't have any sense of direction or coherence.  The sprites for the most part look pretty good though, but the poor animation hurts them. 
#7  January 23, 2013, 07:25:58 am
  • The Yatagarasu will be coming in any moment.
Not bad by the way he looks, Ax. Nice one. :) Congrats! ;D
Titiln said:
focus more and stop thinking about things like the internet or titties

Whatever happened to sex, drugs, and Rock. Nowadays, it's whores, AIDS, and Hip-Hop.
#8  January 23, 2013, 07:27:03 am
Your sprite work is great as usual but I think you should enlist the help of a coder because I know you've stated before that that's not really your forte
#9  January 23, 2013, 08:44:06 am
  • Non est hoc propter hoc sed propter est hoc
    • USA
    • doubletrend-zeta.neocities.org/
Non-gameplay issues I have:
-Your AIR is really big and messy and twice the size it could be because you left all the silver surfer sprites and animations in. I don't know why they're there (for all I know you could be editing in FF), but it really does add to the size of the file. :/
-Your CLSNs aren't constant. Some are multiple boxes, some are one box, some are WAY off from the sprite body

As a matter of fact, there are so many bad CLSN I could fill my post with their pictures and just use that as feedback (you're lucky because I WOULD do this if Jay Leno wasn't on right now). You really need to take some time and fix em up.
-HOLY SHIT I SCROLLED THROUGH THE AIR AND I SAW GALACTUS AND SHIT MY PANTS

Looking through this and seeing the CLSN, I almost want to assume this is an animation swap because I have never seen CLSN this poorly done since I made mine spent my time downloading orochi characters from esnips.
#10  January 23, 2013, 08:44:59 am
    • Italy
    • mark.nar@hotmail.it
I like it! But needs some fixes yet. :)
#11  January 23, 2013, 08:51:15 am
  • The Only Easy Day was Yesterday
    • USA
    • www.facebook.com/truemicah
#12  January 23, 2013, 08:57:24 am
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
Thanks for the nice sprites. The animations are pretty fluent and there are enough attacks packed in this character to make a good character out of it. I'll be waiting to see what moves you add.

As said by others, gameplay is pretty bad on this one, with wrong physics, many buttons that don't produce moves, misalignement everywhere especially basics, etc.
I'll wait for RMH or Zero-Sennin to make a good version out of this.

But yeah, once again : thanks for the sprites. ;)
#13  January 23, 2013, 09:15:47 am
    • thedopehouse.webs.com/
I like the sprites but there are some sprite inconsistencies. I noticed some of the sprites are missing the chest strap. The hammer and wand attacks being 2 examples that are missing it.

Also, I never got a response about that attack request for Link I pm'd you weeks ago. Seems like it'd be really easy for you to edit and I'd really like to use it in my version of Link.

Ax

#14  January 23, 2013, 12:37:55 pm
    • USA
Alright here's my opinion

-Debug flood all over the place.
-Velocities on dashes are way too fast to be MVC.
-Super jump has too much startup.
-No launcher?  Launchers are standard for air combos in MVC.
-His anim timings are very weird, which makes him look like he animates worse than he probably should.
-A lot of his normals are just too fast and too safe.
-He doesn't seem to have any special cancels.
-The opponent can move during his super pauses.  The aforementioned lack of cancels makes this even worse as he has to do his supers raw, which means they are easily dodged.
-Jump physics feel very wacky, not very MVC like at all.
-His stance is not very fitting, and makes the rest of his animations look bad due to poor transition.
-You left all the Silver Surfer files in the folder not renamed, including the board state (presumably for the leaf super).

I'm sorry, but this just feels like a very sloppy, rushed character.  It doesn't play much like MVC at all and it's very hard to play him because he doesn't have any sense of direction or coherence.  The sprites for the most part look pretty good though, but the poor animation hurts them. 

I wouldn't call it opinion but a well written report on what needs to be taken care of ;)

Thanks for listing these things, it'll make it easier for me to fix in a future update.

I've been looking forward to this!

I wasn't sure of this in the end? AT first I felt the same way, though now????

Though I am glad I got a MvC style version out there. But you know, I feel that this wip came up a little empty. The MvC MegaMan X wip was more fulfilling for me because the gameplay styles were in spirit with the wip.

Though this one I don't know???? :S  It needs some kind of change? I'm thinking that maybe a sword wielder has no place in a fighting game like MvC.

Not bad by the way he looks, Ax. Nice one. :) Congrats! ;D

Thanks, I hope his voice was agreeable in the sense of the character. Audio rips were a bit hard to get clean samples.

Your sprite work is great as usual but I think you should enlist the help of a coder because I know you've stated before that that's not really your forte

I would like for a coder to fix it up, or even redo it all. It's open source to btw. I know a lot of these errors that I make and it's a funny thing, I know I can fix a lot of these myself. I got some bad habits for those that know me :P

Thankfully though you now have several coders along with myself to try and someday release a more stable version. Those are good odds!!!

Non-gameplay issues I have:
-Your AIR is really big and messy and twice the size it could be because you left all the silver surfer sprites and animations in. I don't know why they're there (for all I know you could be editing in FF), but it really does add to the size of the file. :/
-Your CLSNs aren't constant. Some are multiple boxes, some are one box, some are WAY off from the sprite body

As a matter of fact, there are so many bad CLSN I could fill my post with their pictures and just use that as feedback (you're lucky because I WOULD do this if Jay Leno wasn't on right now). You really need to take some time and fix em up.
-HOLY SHIT I SCROLLED THROUGH THE AIR AND I SAW GALACTUS AND SHIT MY PANTS

Looking through this and seeing the CLSN, I almost want to assume this is an animation swap because I have never seen CLSN this poorly done since I made mine spent my time downloading orochi characters from esnips.

It's a mess for sure, though I have some reasons why some of it remains. Some animations from Silver surfer by T.O.P.S. had some animations that I needed such as the standard landing dust and other stuff like that. ANother reason is that sometimes when you remove a sprite that is rooted with a line of code or apart of the required sprites that if either of those examples go missing, the program of mugen will crash. Such was the case when I used Thor by Loganir for the codes and animations.

I'll try and clean it up whenever the opportunity comes up for some updating time.

ALso you are right to assume this was a swap, it was faster to produce this way, though far from perfect, it's something for now. From either me or someone else, you'll get your fixes in due time. Meanwhile's use this one as a place holder in your mugen or download and play the others available for mugen by other creators out there.

Thanks for the nice sprites. The animations are pretty fluent and there are enough attacks packed in this character to make a good character out of it. I'll be waiting to see what moves you add.

As said by others, gameplay is pretty bad on this one, with wrong physics, many buttons that don't produce moves, misalignement everywhere especially basics, etc.
I'll wait for RMH or Zero-Sennin to make a good version out of this.

But yeah, once again : thanks for the sprites. ;)

A lot of it was copied and pasted from pre-existing code from silver surfer's moves so it likely has some bad physics in there because of the mismatch paste-ings. The sprites are open source, feel free to edit them as well, I didn't really want to make sleeves on him but it would be sweet if someone out there made that modification though.

As for the coder's comment - hey I am happy to get that load off my back, no pressure is a good thing in my book LOL. I have a desire to make more wips and I like to get to them as soon as possible, even if it means that I have to complete betas first before I can go back and make my previous works finished.

I like the sprites but there are some sprite inconsistencies. I noticed some of the sprites are missing the chest strap. The hammer and wand attacks being 2 examples that are missing it.

Also, I never got a response about that attack request for Link I pm'd you weeks ago. Seems like it'd be really easy for you to edit and I'd really like to use it in my version of Link.

D'oh!!!

You are right, I'll fix that and I'll re-upload it when I get around to it.

thx

Attack request? I get a lot of pms, I'll have to make time to go back and read them again. There are enough sprites though for a frankenspriter to work with though if you need me to do that stuff, you'll have to wait on me, my bad. I have so many ideas that I at least want to get sprited and put to some level of use.

Seek Truth
Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 12:48:08 pm by AxKingsXRevengeX
#15  January 23, 2013, 01:44:32 pm
    • Thailand
I'm thinking that maybe a sword wielder has no place in a fighting game like MvC.
You should have played MvC before you tried to make a character that uses its gameplay. I can only assume you haven't played any version of it, otherwise you wouldn't have posted that. =p

#16  January 23, 2013, 02:08:04 pm
  • Eyyyy
    • UK
There was a sig here. Its gone now (thanks photobucket ya fecks)

DW

#17  January 23, 2013, 03:34:36 pm
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
I'm thinking that maybe a sword wielder has no place in a fighting game like MvC.

Didn't stop Strider Hiryu, Hayato, Zero, Taskmaster, Arthur or Dante though.

Arthur's not really a sword wielder in that regard. He has a sword slash special, yeah. But, he doesn't actually wield it in the way that the other chars you listed do. MVC gameplay isn't something everyone can do. Simply having chain combos, easy super commands, and super jump does not make a char MVC styled in the least. It's also one of those styles that just can't be implemented right into MUGEN imo. There's very few people who do it right/well and even then, it just doesn't feel right... :-/

I'd suggest if you don't know much about code, that you leave that task up to someone else who understands it better. It'd also be a good idea to reference Ferchogtx chars, because he does MVC2 damn well. Sprites look pretty good overall. His stance looks really weird though imo. Also, as for the sword users not belonging in a MVC environment... I find it odd that you'd say something like that, seeing as how you used Hayato as a base for Link...
#18  January 23, 2013, 04:14:06 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
I honestly think the reason certain people make "MvC" characters is because they honestly think it's an easy style to make. To them, MvC is just Super Jumps, ABC chaining, Launchers and flashy supers. But as mentioned, MvC style is much more than just that, which is why a lot of "MvC" characters fall flat.

I think it might be best to try another simpler gameplay style first.
#19  January 23, 2013, 04:16:44 pm
  • Eyyyy
    • UK
Isn't MvC just like one big comic book type thing? Where people can survive titanic punches, energy beams and gun shots, sword slashes shouldn't matter whether they're from ancient god blades or lightsabers.

As for CLSNs, well, you could look at Samurai Shodown or KOF as an example where despite having a weapon, say, Billy Kane doesn't have infinite priority, nor do the people in Samurai Shodown, mostly to keep things fair.

So I say keep at it with Link, it might get better. And Its nice to see you take feedback from MC2 and Bannana. You've got some potential it seems.

You could also look at MvC characters by Kamekaze to see an idea of MvC done right mostly.
There was a sig here. Its gone now (thanks photobucket ya fecks)

Ax

#20  January 23, 2013, 04:25:46 pm
    • USA
I played some of those and they always felt weird to me. (sword wielders)

I am thinking now that maybe their attack range throws the whole fight out of place. It changes the whole close combat hand to hand dual. You have one character that fights close and the other one that has to fight at a distance all the time just to make proper contact.

It's like a clumsy fight for both the fighter and the opponent.

It's just bad form.

Maybe if the fighters had some kind of pushing force between them to maintain that distance all the time the fights might work better but then contact could be an issue?

Regarding the MvC thing, it's just the cartoony look that I titled to be MvC.

Seek Truth
Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 04:29:46 pm by AxKingsXRevengeX