YesNoOk

Fun With Parallax - Training Stage Alpha [Hi-Res] (Read 13915 times)

Started by ziltama, August 27, 2007, 03:12:05 am
Share this topic:
Fun With Parallax - Training Stage Alpha [Hi-Res]
New #1  August 27, 2007, 03:12:05 am
    • www-personal.umich.edu/~tdkim/ziltama/
Started building this stage out of "spare parts" from my screen pack and other stages.  I made this to experiment with parallax...and I think I figured it out now.  Characters don't float on the floor anymore.

The far wall ALSO has a parallax effect and moves seemlessly with the back wall and the floor (this was a complete pain to do).

I just put the stars and the moon there as placeholders, although I may just end up keeping them there.

Still playing with the lighting/shading.

Click on thumbnail:
Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 10:55:02 pm by Titiln
Re: [Hi-Res] Fun With Parallax - Training Stage Alpha
#2  August 27, 2007, 03:45:22 am
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/
I suggest making the stars move up on different layers/velocities, to give it some kind of VR feel.
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.
#3  August 27, 2007, 05:24:53 am
I'll have to make two versions.  If I generate two parallax side walls, mugen slows down.  I'll have to do one without walls.  Even with a partial wall up, mugen slows down once I add transparency layers.
#4  August 27, 2007, 08:15:41 am
This is the no-side walls version WIP: (click on thumbnail for full view)

I want to keep it relatively simple compared to my other stages.  The view above is the left side of this stage.  The stage is almost done.  Just have to apply the same changes to the right.

The background is inspired by the Night Warriors credits scroll.  There are now 3 layers of stars scrolling at different speeds.

I currently have Ebla by ES Posthumus playing as the BGM.

I'm trying to think of a symbol to appear during super moves.  I thought about J. Talbain's outline.
Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 08:26:12 am by ziltama
#5  August 27, 2007, 09:52:07 am
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
For the symbol, may I suggest this ? (click for a bigger one)

And I still want my version with all the walls and transparency. My computer will not slow down just because of Mugen. >:D :sugoi:
#6  August 27, 2007, 10:16:47 am
I have to generate the parallax side walls one pixel width layer at a time using parallax objects.  So, in hi-res, with decent sized walls on both sides, one could imagine how bloated the def file would become (not to mention the extra resources needed).  When I made the first screen shot, the wall on the right was only halfway built.  By the time I finished the wall and duplicated it on the left side, mugen crawled (well, lots of frame skipping).  I intend to make a super uber version, but it'll take a while.

The def file for the simpler version is a little over 5kb.  The def file for the original version is about 240kb.

Thanks for the symbol suggestion, but I already had this done: (click on thumbnail)

Night Warriors sprite re-sprited to double-res.

I'll try the Horvahunt (whatever that is) sprite later today and compare.

As for music, http://www.esposthumus.com/ has the track I'm using streaming in the background.  Choose Ebla.

I toned down the purple moon halo slightly.  I expect a release in a day or two for the simple version (I'll probably end up calling it something stupid like Training Stage Alpha Gamma 200% FTW No Side Walls Turbo.)
Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 10:25:31 am by ziltama
#7  August 27, 2007, 10:27:05 am
    • France
Your symbol is really nice, I like it. :)

240kb for the complicated one ? o_O What the hell did you put inside, it's even bigger than felineki's Gradius' stage !!!!

Let's see if someone has a computer capable of handling such a stage in Mugen, without crashing or having it play at 2 fps. ;P
#8  August 29, 2007, 03:13:28 am
Well, my Sky Battle stages are about 7kb.  The Mario stages are between 37-40kb in size.  My stage releases, I guess, tend to come in pairs.  The modified Training Stage I released yesterday is a little under 6kb.  The current wip original Training Stage is currently at 268kb.

Click on thumbnail:

I decided to leave the red areas in.

I'm trying to decide if I want to leave the whole side wall intact or selectively take out rows to give the impression that there's another training area next door.  I could actually cut out shapes too, but that would require a bit of extra time generating graphics.
Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 06:32:12 am by ziltama
#9  August 29, 2007, 08:52:19 am
    • France
I like the idea of the other training room next door. :)
#10  August 30, 2007, 06:32:31 pm
  • Nothing ever ends
    • Portugal
    • www.justnopoint.com/loona
Since paralax seems to be one of the things focused on in this project, perhaps this will prove useful - when I checked it the usual geocities bandwidth issue was preventing me from reading it, so I don't recal if it's in english or portuguese, but the math should be eloquent enuogh to be helpful:

http://www.geocities.com/vibhp/mugen/tuto/parallax.html
#11  August 31, 2007, 10:18:01 am
Click on thumbnail:

Some more tweaking.  The above is not close to what the final design will be (still yet to be decided), but it gives one an idea of what can be done to the wall and still keep it all in parallax.

Ya, I already looked at all the parallax docs and help sites.  That particular one doesn't help me since I'm using width and not xscale.  Width, I think, is easier to implement and better for tiled floors.  Xscale is helpful for non-tiled floors.
#12  September 01, 2007, 09:41:38 am
Here's an example with an x-shape: (click on thumbnail)

Here's an example with a mix of both: (click on thumbnail)

The def file is holding steady at 260kb.  The only problem with cutting out shapes instead of whole rows is the pixellation.

Another variation: (click on thumbnail)
Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 11:27:11 am by ziltama
#13  September 01, 2007, 03:31:06 pm
    • France
I really like the last varation (although they're all good). The final look will all depend on how good it looks with the pixelation.
#14  September 02, 2007, 03:12:20 am
If the wall wasn't skewed, then pixellation wouldn't be a problem.  This is about as clean as I can get it:

For skewed walls, large simple shapes come out better:

Still, I may end up going with the "x" version.

From this, I figured out one could generate simple 3d models with layers of parallax, but again, it would slow mugen down.

If I extended the stage out, this is what the wall would look like at a different angle.  Less skew = less pixellation.