YesNoOk

Arson attack at Kyoto Animation Studio (KyoAni) (Read 25233 times)

Started by aokmaniac13, July 18, 2019, 05:47:38 am
Share this topic:
Arson attack at Kyoto Animation Studio (KyoAni)
#1  July 18, 2019, 05:47:38 am
  • Just a butcher on a mission
    • www.justnopoint.com/lbends
Re: Arson attack at Kyoto Animation Studio (KyoAni)
#2  July 18, 2019, 06:58:16 am
  • Raging Fist
good god. Why would anyone do this? Seriously why!
#3  July 18, 2019, 07:54:02 am
  • Idea!
    • USA
Forget the film. Hopefully the folk are okay. Rest in peace to those who didn't survive the attack and condolences to their family and friends.
#4  July 18, 2019, 03:06:35 pm
those guys are top of the industry... do they have a lead who did this? i'm guessing it's someone who knows the building layout and could be a employee.
#5  July 18, 2019, 04:14:49 pm
  • Vs Style Debuts Tag Project CEO
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
They got someone in custody so they're gonna get the answer to why he did it.
Beware the Dark Wolf once more!
#6  July 18, 2019, 05:23:19 pm
    • Brazil
Apparently according to a 2ch post the dude is a schizofrenic train otaku who doesn't like moe stuff at all. He also posted in 2ch saying that the anime Sound! Euphonium ruined his life. Wow also, a witness saw him screaming something about plagiarism.
#7  July 18, 2019, 05:27:39 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Fire started from the first floor, 33 confirmed dead.

Perpetrator is very likely to get the death penalty.
#8  July 18, 2019, 05:28:43 pm
Reports say at least 33 dead, 36 wounded including 10 critically, of which several have lost consciousness, and no missing person left.
The building is one of two animation studios owned by the company (plus their HQ). Their animation school seems to be elsewhere.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 05:35:37 pm by Byakko
#9  July 19, 2019, 06:06:13 pm
yasuhiro takemoto died in the fire... kyoto animation owes a lot to that man. though some of his work is not to my liking still he did a fairly great job.

the guy they caught sounds like a nutcase , good thing pleading insanity isn't really a thing in japan. and how the fuck a musical anime ruins ones life?
#10  July 19, 2019, 06:56:01 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
There are two rumours going on.

The first one, that I only stumbled upon once says that the guy was a weird train otaku and he "coined" the phrase "barisaku", referring on how to take train photos, the phrase barisaku is also used un hibikie euphonium related to baritone and saxophone, so he claimed that kyoani stole the phrase from him. I think this one is just made up but the rumour also said that this user dissapeared from 2chan one day prior to the incident and is still missing.

The second one says that the guy wanted to work for kyoani, he made a recruitment visit several years ago and he also participated in the "submit a novel to kyoani" contest that euphonium won. That is why he complained about euphonium in particular and hated kyoani in general.
#11  July 19, 2019, 08:09:02 pm
the latter sounds plausible. i was thinking it was a disgruntled employee , it's quite a common story up there.

poor train otakus though , gets all the unnecessary hate.

how long was the building on fire though? to burn that large portion of the building and no immediate respond from the local fire department? it's a tiny building but still. and nobody saw the guy pouring gasoline all over the place? security guards? security cameras? must be a very lax town.
Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 08:20:15 pm by 地獄の花
#12  July 19, 2019, 10:13:42 pm
  • Five Dynasties of Water
    • Mexico
    • Skype - alchemistofatlas
the latter sounds plausible. i was thinking it was a disgruntled employee , it's quite a common story up there.

poor train otakus though , gets all the unnecessary hate.

how long was the building on fire though? to burn that large portion of the building and no immediate respond from the local fire department? it's a tiny building but still. and nobody saw the guy pouring gasoline all over the place? security guards? security cameras? must be a very lax town.

The fire took 20 hours to be controlled, until 6:20 am local time.
PotS said:
That they don't just restrict themselves to my style.

Fact.
#13  July 20, 2019, 12:28:27 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico

Well, it was a lent animation studio, so no security guards/cameras. The harsh part of the fire lasted 5 hours; according to one engineer that talked about it, the building's fire code was perfectly functional for an accidental fire, but since it was gasoline fire/arson, it was not enough.

From some reports, the dude doused the building with fire first,,m then he blocked the entry while he kept on purig gasoline on people, the latest is what reinforces that he is getting the death penalty, since he can't argue that he just wanted to burn the building and the  deaths were accidental. One thing aobut kyoani is that they employ a lot of women, that is why he was able to block the entry and douse people on gasoline, it was not until one of the kyo ani male employees started beating him up that he ran from the entry.
#14  July 20, 2019, 02:20:53 am
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
Damn, that's all kinds of fucked up.
#15  July 20, 2019, 11:35:39 am

Well, it was a lent animation studio, so no security guards/cameras. The harsh part of the fire lasted 5 hours; according to one engineer that talked about it, the building's fire code was perfectly functional for an accidental fire, but since it was gasoline fire/arson, it was not enough.

From some reports, the dude doused the building with fire first,,m then he blocked the entry while he kept on purig gasoline on people, the latest is what reinforces that he is getting the death penalty, since he can't argue that he just wanted to burn the building and the  deaths were accidental. One thing aobut kyoani is that they employ a lot of women, that is why he was able to block the entry and douse people on gasoline, it was not until one of the kyo ani male employees started beating him up that he ran from the entry.

i've heard that they kept their back ups there. and it's all gone now. like it won't matter anyway.... most of the people who died are veteran animators and creators.
this is the worse case scenario for kyoani , both their paper , digital and half of their talents are all gone.
#16  July 20, 2019, 12:19:35 pm
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
    • https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/8108265
 I feel like crying because I've grown up on KyoAni and the most terrifying thing possible had to happen. I need to keep strong and keep hoping in the face of this bleakness.

In retrospect, I feel a little better that I've made a characters who had KyoAni adaptations... it almost feels like I did a sort of tribute in a sense.
#17  July 22, 2019, 01:27:58 am
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
There are two rumours going on.

The first one, that I only stumbled upon once says that the guy was a weird train otaku and he "coined" the phrase "barisaku", referring on how to take train photos, the phrase barisaku is also used un hibikie euphonium related to baritone and saxophone, so he claimed that kyoani stole the phrase from him. I think this one is just made up but the rumour also said that this user dissapeared from 2chan one day prior to the incident and is still missing.

The second one says that the guy wanted to work for kyoani, he made a recruitment visit several years ago and he also participated in the "submit a novel to kyoani" contest that euphonium won. That is why he complained about euphonium in particular and hated kyoani in general.
The first rumour could be true at all, the guy claimed KyoAni stoled some ideas from him to make series, so he got a grunge against them and then started the fire with the "DIE!" words, after witnesses.

I don't use them as reference, but Kohaku had updated his news post about this with all recent newsd about this:
https://kotaku.com/fire-at-kyoto-animation-sixteen-confirmed-dead-and-sus-1836473998

I feel so bad about this :mcry:

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#18  July 22, 2019, 01:59:56 am
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#19  July 22, 2019, 02:11:18 am
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
Thanks Byakko, from what I heard that is the current up to date news so far. Man, it's bad enough this happened, but now people are trying to get virtue points from this event, and it just makes me sick.