YesNoOk

Do some N64 games have layers? (Read 1308 times)

Started by Sheng Long, May 13, 2015, 12:45:57 am
Share this topic:
Do some N64 games have layers?
#1  May 13, 2015, 12:45:57 am
  • Video Game Veteran
  • Can you do it? SUREYOUCAN!
    • USA
    • gcnmario.free.fr
I was thinking, some games like Super Mario 64, or Mario Party have sprite layers as the top, which displays things like the HUD (for health, or current place in line, or # of lives). I was wondering if any of those could be disabled in an emulator to perhaps make some decent Mugen stages out of? Or perhaps some clean rips of other backgrounds.

"You must defeat my flaming
dragon punch to stand a chance."
Re: Do some N64 games have layers?
#2  May 13, 2015, 02:23:19 am
  • Most Dangerous Mugen
    • USA
    • caddie.smeenet.org
If you use project 64 and the right plugin, you can rip every texture in an n64 game just by playing it. Think it's...rice's video plugin beta or something like that. Then enable advanced options and save textures to file or something like that. It's been too long man, my point being it's possible to rip all the textures real easy.
#3  May 13, 2015, 03:08:41 am
  • Video Game Veteran
    • USA
    • gcnmario.free.fr
What if the purpose is to rip frame by frame animation from an emulated N64 game?

#4  May 13, 2015, 03:16:35 am
  • Most Dangerous Mugen
    • USA
    • caddie.smeenet.org
Should work, the only problem you might have is for 3d objects it'll rip the texture and not the whole object. Also if I remember correctly the naming on the files is weird.

Oh and the textures might be cut into pieces. If that's the case for the particular game you're working on you might wanna go a different route.
#5  May 13, 2015, 07:43:11 am
  • Video Game Veteran
    • USA
    • gcnmario.free.fr
Yea, there are some games which the camera is completely stationary, for certain scenes the background could be used as a plain 1 layer stage in mugen. But was gonna rip some of the models being displayed in game screen as part of the animation. But some of the HUD display is kind of in the way, which is why i was thinking of way to disable those HUD display, but rip the movement frames of the 3d character models.