YesNoOk

fight stick or console controller whats your preference  (Read 14075 times)

Started by Memo, November 19, 2016, 09:56:07 pm
Share this topic:

Poll

fight stick or console controller?

fight stick nuff said
5 (15.2%)
umm..controller/pad
10 (30.3%)
keyboard!
18 (54.5%)

Total Members Voted: 33

fight stick or console controller whats your preference
#1  November 19, 2016, 09:56:07 pm
  • Estoy siempre listo para un desafío.
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
So like the title says...

I've been playing with consol controllers forever until recently.  My girl friend found an
Arcade at a mall that's about an hour an a half from home and oh boy I was in heaven!
They have just about every single fighting game that matters, they even have a ps4
Inside a cab with street fighter 4!  The first couple of times I went I didnt know what
I was doing so I bought a cheap fight stick for ps1 called "Blaze pro-shock arcade"
Took that shit home and practiced the shit outta it.  At first I was a noob and one
Night while blazing lol I booted up some 3rd strike and started bustin dragon
Punches like a pro with Ken and my life changed forever! Never will I go back to
A controller eww yuck.  The pro-shock arcade was a good starter stick for me, the
Stick is actually good I read somewhere its basically a sanwa, the buttons are are
A different story.  Then recently I moved up my game to the classic ps1 Namco
Fight stick and I love it.

So what's your preferred tool to whoop dat azz?
Re: fight stick or console controller whats your preference
#2  November 19, 2016, 10:40:51 pm
This thread needs a poll.
Controller forever. I just can't handle a stick, I never know what direction I'm pressing and all my QCFs end up with a jump forward.
edit - oh, and it should probably be in the gaming / fighting games section.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 11:27:19 pm by Byakko
#3  November 19, 2016, 11:01:59 pm
  • Every night fucks every day up
  • Every day patches the night up
    • Puerto Rico
Neither to be honest (keyboard user here :P), but if someone had a PS4 SFV set up, I would probably use the pad much before I try the stick (although I have played using both and they both have their advantages and disadvantages, it's all preference, really).
#4  November 19, 2016, 11:31:30 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
Poll added! And also my stick has a square gate, if anybody can elaborate on square vs octagonal and so on that would be great since I dont have too much experience with that
#5  November 19, 2016, 11:34:53 pm
  • Prince of Latis
  • Destroy the Core!
    • Canada
    • Skype - Whiplash-1
I use a keyboard.

Unless it has the UMVC3/Injustice/JJBA layout, then it's a pad.

I can't afford a stick so I've never gotten used to using them, I'm god awful with them tbh.
Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 12:07:46 am by -Whiplash-

lui

#6  November 19, 2016, 11:40:29 pm
    • USA
Keyboards bc im poor
#7  November 19, 2016, 11:48:49 pm
Stick. Even though I still don't own one, gotta buy a toy steering wheel first.

All that time hopping laundromats last year really helped me get better with them.
#8  November 20, 2016, 12:13:28 am
  • Dance the night away!
    • Australia
It really depends for me. Most of the time i play controller cause i aint rich, and even keyboard when im lazy to get mah controller
but with some games (Hyper DBZ) i personally enjoy an arcade stick
#9  November 20, 2016, 12:44:21 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
Oh wow I didnt expect so many users to pick keyboards, I thought you guys were pros and used fight sticks! Lol
Yea I know they can be expensive especially a good one, my starter was about $15 and my Namco fight astick was $60 on eBay imported from Japan. Eventually when my moneys right I might get one of the $200 ones.
#10  November 20, 2016, 12:52:07 am
If we're talking PC then I use a keyboard too. I figured it was about consoles, since most of my fighting games are on a console, I don't play them on PC.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#11  November 20, 2016, 01:35:19 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
I dont have any consoles right now so I use a playstation to USB adapter from radioshack on PC, I want a ps4 so when I get a good expensive stick ill get one for ps4 and since its USB I can use it on pc too
#12  November 20, 2016, 01:35:34 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
Where do you live that has this amazing arcade?

Keyboard and controllers for me. I have problems using fight sticks unless I'm standing up.
#13  November 20, 2016, 01:36:58 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
Where do you live that has this amazing arcade?

Keyboard and controllers for me.

I live in Clarksville TN and that arcade is in the rivergate mall, its cool you pay $5 for half an hour or $7 for the full hour
#14  November 20, 2016, 01:41:09 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
I have not played for months now, if not years; funny thing it takes me a while topick up a gamepad, but as far as joystick goes I can adapt to them as if I never stopped using them, dunno why it happens like that.
#15  November 20, 2016, 02:47:24 am
  • Helpful Hermit
    • USA
If you require my assistance, please feel free to contact me on Discord: 2DMirage#5299
Commissions/Requests are closed. Please do not ask.
Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 02:51:54 am by Hoshi
#16  November 20, 2016, 02:51:13 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
#17  November 20, 2016, 02:57:24 am
I played a lot on arcades back in the day, funny thing is, arcades here had the  stick itself on the right side, I noticed you guys have it on the left in the USA if the stick is on the left I cant move hahahhah

As of in the last 10 years or so I use a keyboard arrows for movement
ASD  for punches
ZXC for kicks
Its a 9 out of 10 setup, but  hypers such as alex's hyper bomb are an issue.

As for pads and stuff, I cant use them, I am shit with pads,the  game pad stick is waay to floaty for me, an arcade stick I can use if the nob is on the right.
Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 03:02:12 am by PeXXeR
#18  November 20, 2016, 03:20:10 am
  • Helpful Hermit
    • USA
Those hit boxes look pretty cool are they like playing with a keyboard?
Basically. It took me a week or so to completely adapt to it after playing with a HRAP3 for years. The biggest hurdle is the bottom red button being the UP direction, but now it's second nature AND I still can swap between a stick and the hitbox.

I still need to grab a PS4 version though.
If you require my assistance, please feel free to contact me on Discord: 2DMirage#5299
Commissions/Requests are closed. Please do not ask.
#19  November 20, 2016, 04:29:13 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
I played a lot on arcades back in the day, funny thing is, arcades here had the  stick itself on the right side, I noticed you guys have it on the left in the USA if the stick is on the left I cant move hahahhah

I raise late80s early 90s mexican arcades, with p1's joystick in the left side and p2's joystick in the right side; you'd have to play crossed regardless of which side you got used to.
#20  November 20, 2016, 06:38:47 am
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
If you enjoy keyboard I strongly suggest investing in a hitbox.  It's basically the same experience and you can use it on consoles as well.
#21  November 20, 2016, 07:12:56 am
    • Puerto Rico
If you enjoy keyboard I strongly suggest investing in a hitbox.  It's basically the same experience and you can use it on consoles as well.
I don't wanna get this thread off-topic, but I dislike where the movement buttons are placed. I would mod it, but I know jack shit about it and I wouldn't risk fucking up a +$200 investment. It would be really cool if they did different models or somethin' (or possibly someone selling moded versions or somethin').
Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 12:08:57 pm by TheFclass97
#22  November 20, 2016, 10:12:04 am
  • Still lurks regularly, but posts once a blue moon
    • Canada
I always prefer using the keyboard with my right hand controlling the analog buttons (arrow keys :P) and my left hand pressing the attack buttons (ZXCASD).
Unless I'm playing a grappler, cause 360 motions are hard to do consistently and 720+ motions are almost impossible.
I probably might be more interested in investing in a hitbox if the movement buttons weren't on the left side.

Not too sure how I feel about pad vs stick these days.  I used to prefer using a pad much more than a fight stick, but I haven't played too much fighting games on consoles these days (Unless you count Smash) and I've gotten a lot better playing on arcade cabinets.

I guess if I'm playing a game where there are 4 or less attack buttons (Blazblue, MvC3, KoF, etc.), I'd play with a controller.  But for games that have more (Street Fighter, Skullgirls, etc.) I would prefer a stick.
#23  November 20, 2016, 10:34:33 am
    • Vietnam
Keyboard... I'm extremely slow with fight sticks and I don't like using controllers to play fighting games, but when it comes to keyboard I can pull off 10 Shun Goku Satsu in less than a few seconds
#24  November 20, 2016, 08:15:14 pm
  • IPPEN SHINDE KOI!
  • TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THAT SNOUT!
    • Canada
    • keg2810@hotmail.com
    • biggreenmugen.weebly.com/
Controller for me. I have a Logitech F510.

Some keyboards aren't smooth enough to pull off motions, as I used the arrow keys. Couldn't bring myself to use other keys.

As for fightsticks, too expensive.
#25  November 20, 2016, 10:12:02 pm
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
Pokken Tournament controller all day erry day
#26  November 20, 2016, 11:10:47 pm
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
I don't wanna get this thread off-topic, but I dislike where the movement buttons are pal ed. I would mod it, but I know jack shit about it and I wouldn't risk fucking up a +$200 investment. It would be really cool if they did different models or somethin' (or possibly someone selling moded versions or somethin').
It's really not as hard as you think, trust me. I modded all my sticks while drunk as fuck, never had problems or screwed up anything. And I knew jack shit about soldering when I started.

Also, fightstick here.

And for those who are like "I dunno if I'll ever get good at stick," it just takes practice, and sometimes, some odd game choices. @Killer Kong: actually got good at stick by playing Mega Man X4. In fact, I'd recommend choosing any 2D game you're most comfortable with, or 3D game if it doesn't contain proportional inputs (Tekken, DOA, you could probably even get away with GTA3 on PS2 since it allows D-Pad movement).
Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 11:16:57 pm by Jesuszilla
#27  November 21, 2016, 06:12:27 am
  • war is always over mugen
  • the solitare blade of light
    • Uruguay
i play more whit my joystick in my pc than my keyboard i prefer joystick
#28  November 21, 2016, 08:18:46 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
It didn't take me long to learn stick took me about a week, I did play alot of yoshi's island with it, and a couple other snes games.
I'm telling you guys its not hard to learn and I bet you wont go back once you do.

GLB

#29  November 21, 2016, 08:31:38 am
    • network.mugenguild.com/glb/
Controller for me. It's how I learned to play games, RARELY used a fight stick. Where i grew up there was very little arcades to go to. There was only one that was very expensive (even had a walk-in fee) and shut down around the time i was 9. So the few times I have used a fight stick it feels very off for me.
#30  November 21, 2016, 09:17:17 am
    • France
First, Pad controller since young days.
But then, when student, didn't have anything other available than a keyboard --> adapted to it.
Now, I'm only playing on those (made them myself and quite proud of the work :P ) :
1 st one (old PC pad PCB inside)

2nd one (Universal brook PCB)

Both full sanwa with custom button layout. Quite comfy I must say.
- samurais, swords & stuff ? → Another Blade
#31  November 21, 2016, 10:41:37 am
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
It didn't take me long to learn stick took me about a week, I did play alot of yoshi's island with it, and a couple other snes games.
I'm telling you guys its not hard to learn and I bet you wont go back once you do.
I have a stick and I almost never use it, even when playing 2D fighter (it's pretty much just testing combo-related bug reports in MUGEN). I mean, I guess it's cool if you have a big arcade scene where you live but most of the arcades down here are either closing down or focusing on more casual games. Meanwhile I've been playing with a controller almost all of my life.

I like how the topic is totally not neutral at all. The title suggests we talk about what we use and why, but apparently you're using it to tell controller players why their preferred method of play is wrong.
#32  November 21, 2016, 11:56:01 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
#33  November 21, 2016, 12:11:57 pm
    • Puerto Rico
#34  November 21, 2016, 01:02:00 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com

I like how the topic is totally not neutral at all. The title suggests we talk about what we use and why, but apparently you're using it to tell controller players why their preferred method of play is wrong.

Apparently I'm not telling no one there method is wrong, where did you read that shit.
#35  November 21, 2016, 01:42:48 pm
Well, "it's not hard and you won't go back" is pretty much explicitly saying that the stick is easy and everyone will prefer the stick to the controller once they learn it. It's literally what you said in that quote, so, kind of, yeah.
#36  November 21, 2016, 01:55:20 pm
Seems more like people who don't have one is because a quality stick is expensive. Yeah you can get something cheap but those break easy, I'd bet more people would use them if they weren't a triple-digit investment that are good for only a few games.

I would say to find your closest arcade board and practice there but not everyone has that convenience. Use what you got, like using a milkcrate as a basketball hoop.
#37  November 21, 2016, 02:36:03 pm
But what about the people who really prefer the controler or keyboard and don't like the stick
#38  November 21, 2016, 03:16:54 pm
    • Philippines
I can do EWGF on 1P and 2P side on controller
I can only do it on 2P side on stick and I practiced for hours and spent maybe 20 dollars trying to do in on 1P side when Tekken 6 came out here.

Controller wins!
#39  November 21, 2016, 03:23:40 pm
Tekken's better with pad.

^^ Oh I was just pointing out that the choice would be more flexible if a stick didn't cost so much. When there are devices that get the job done just as well and aren't anywhere near as pricey. Helps that there are actual good pads/keyboards for these kind of games.
#40  November 21, 2016, 04:57:00 pm
  • EL FUCKO GRANDE
  • I'm back, nerds
    • Canada
I miss when T5 used to have PS2 controller slots, that shit was the greatest.
#41  November 21, 2016, 10:38:23 pm
  • "OHHH YES!"
    • Canada
oh I got tagged? Yeah if you're interested in learning stick the first and most important thing tbh isn't even the buttons, it's the movement. That was my big hurdle with fight sticks for the longest time, recently overcome by....well, playing Mega Man X4 (using Zero specifically, he works better with it.)

Any precision/relatively precise platformer is great for this as you're forced to familiarize and get a hang of controlling the character with the stick dynamically and quickly. Though I do believe it's slanted in favor of Mega Man X solely because the dash button and the ability to naturally piano and mobilize yourself without having to switch direction toooo quickly makes it especially good for practice. I'd recommend it!

But are there truly grown men in this world?!
#42  November 23, 2016, 12:50:40 am
  • Fate's Persona
  • Words hurt more than blades.
When i play one of the  few fighting games i have on console,well controller of course
but  when on pc especially HDBZ then keyboard,difficult at first but i've overcome this.
I don't know about fighting sticks because i don't use them (i briefly used one at a festival)
Truly,depends on the user and how they see fit.
"Six button characters, i use fight stick for {insert reason}?"  as an example
~ A swift blade makes monsters tame. ~
#43  November 25, 2016, 03:33:59 pm
    • Philippines
Tekken's better with pad.

^^ Oh I was just pointing out that the choice would be more flexible if a stick didn't cost so much. When there are devices that get the job done just as well and aren't anywhere near as pricey. Helps that there are actual good pads/keyboards for these kind of games.

If I was playing high level Tekken with on point punishment I'd rather have stick so that if I see a -15 move I can punish it with df2, instead of having it come out a frame later because I accidentally inputted d,df2. It's irrelevant at my level of play though, I can't remember every move that's -15 on block
#44  December 27, 2016, 09:56:08 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
It don't get any better than this fellas, after a lil bit of tinkering with the
Stick it works great now! I fucking love this stick everything about it is
Awesome, will be getting some mods soon, I'm gonna get some sanwa
Buttons and jlf stick and modding it pretty soon. Ill post pics of it when its done!
Shit I also slick want to paint it all black but I like the Namco and ps insignia