YesNoOk

I need some advice on PC game controllers to buy (Read 6868 times)

Started by Legendary DeMoNk@I, December 28, 2014, 05:40:10 am
Share this topic:
I need some advice on PC game controllers to buy
#1  December 28, 2014, 05:40:10 am
    • USA
    • sites.google.com/site/demonkaimugen
well im more so a console gamer so ill never get that used the whole keyboard deal. too awkward for me. Anyway my new laptop can handle a lot of the new gen games so I just bought Dead Rising 3 from steam to play. It looks great on my PC! I love it. BUT I gotta use my keyboard :disappointed:

I downloaded one other game some hours ago called Vindictus which was free (its a big RPG game). Looks great and I can use my old PS2 pad on it....but for DR3 its a no go :thumbsdown:....I can see in the controls screen a pic of a Xboxone controller though so im wondering do I have to buy that? :-\

so what console like Joy pad is good to buy at this point? Or do I need to install some sort of driver to my pc? I tried using my PS3 pad but its a weird deal where its still controlling my system so I haven't figured that out yet...
Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 07:40:33 pm by Legendary DeMoNk@I
Re: I need some advice on PC game controllers to buy
#2  December 28, 2014, 05:52:41 am
  • チョンリサ
    • Canada
so what console like Joy pad is good to buy at this point? Or do I need to install some sort of driver to my pc? I tried using my PS3 pad but its a weird deal where its still controlling my system so I haven't figured that out yet...
You have to disconnect the controller from the console by holding the PS button in the middle of the controller and selecting "Turn off controller" then you just plug it into your computer, there are a bunch of Dual Shock 3 driver programs you can use like BetterDS3(if you play games on your computer while offline) and MotionInJoy.
you can't mixup a blind man, and you can't out think a brick ~skisonic
Street fighting is all about analysis, prediction, and reaction. That's it.

#3  December 28, 2014, 05:55:45 am
  • I am hilarious
  • and you will quote everything I say
    • USA
Logitech F310s are good pads, actually.
#4  December 28, 2014, 05:59:59 am
  • [The Destroyer]
  • College Life is Killing Me
    • USA
    • Skype - wattawright
    • mugencoder.com/authors/view/watta

NO. Mine broke without reason, and so I went to go get it replaced using my warranty. Then the replaced one also broke without reason, but this time it only lasted 2 months. I searched online and apparently many others were having the same problem.
#5  December 28, 2014, 06:00:22 am
  • Humanity can be so much more
    • Jamaica
    • https://network.mugenguild.com/makkah/
A 360 pad should be fine. It's the most hassle free controller to use on PC since it's integrated into most games perfectly. I'm not sure about the xbone controller, but it should work just as well.

As for using a DS3... I tried once with the MotionJoy drivers, but that shit was really dodgy. The DS4 works just fine, wired, I hear, but I've never tried it myself.
#6  December 28, 2014, 07:00:32 am
    • USA
You have to disconnect the controller from the console by holding the PS button in the middle of the controller and selecting "Turn off controller" then you just plug it into your computer, there are a bunch of Dual Shock 3 driver programs you can use like BetterDS3(if you play games on your computer while offline) and MotionInJoy.

hmm that's the thing though. I tried that same exact method first before I asked here and it didn't work it seemed :-\. It still controlled the system after it plugged into the PC from being off. I thought I was being slick but it didn't work smdh lol I don't know im going to try that method again in a bit. BUT im going to look into that BetterDS3 driver you mentioned too. I didn't know about that ;)

NO. Mine broke without reason, and so I went to go get it replaced using my warranty. Then the replaced one also broke without reason, but this time it only lasted 2 months. I searched online and apparently many others were having the same problem.

Damn^^ That sound like a horrible experience :-\

A 360 pad should be fine. It's the most hassle free controller to use on PC since it's integrated into most games perfectly. I'm not sure about the xbone controller, but it should work just as well.

As for using a DS3... I tried once with the MotionJoy drivers, but that shit was really dodgy. The DS4 works just fine, wired, I hear, but I've never tried it myself.

Hmm yeah I used the 360 pad after trying the trick with the PS3 pad but im screwed with that because theres a short in the wire now smdh....

Thanks for the tips folks. keep em coming! im looking into some things!

well.....the coolest thing that came out of it was I got curious to see if my PS3 HMDI cord fit into the side of my lap top here to show on my TV and it worked!  ;D
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

#7  December 28, 2014, 02:55:35 pm
  • チョンリサ
    • Canada

Yeah, idk, I constantly have to save settings before it starts working and the window itself is laggy as fuck. At least my TE still works, otherwise I would be extra screwed.

hmm that's the thing though. I tried that same exact method first before I asked here and it didn't work it seemed :-\. It still controlled the system after it plugged into the PC from being off.

I guess turn off your console then? (not just redlight, like actually power it off) SHRUG!
you can't mixup a blind man, and you can't out think a brick ~skisonic
Street fighting is all about analysis, prediction, and reaction. That's it.

#8  December 28, 2014, 03:02:30 pm
  • [The Destroyer]
  • College Life is Killing Me
    • USA
    • Skype - wattawright
    • mugencoder.com/authors/view/watta
well.....the coolest thing that came out of it was I got curious to see if my PS3 HMDI cord fit into the side of my lap top here to show on my TV and it worked!  ;D

Lol yeah. I used to do that and play Tekken 6 on my big TV when my controller still worked. It's awesome aye?
#9  December 28, 2014, 05:40:28 pm
  • Madman
  • Honorary Asshole
if you are planning to play space sims or Mechwarrior

Saitek rhino, X52, Dual Logitech Extreme, Thrustmaster T.Flight X or Warthog

For Dead Rising 3, Darksiders 2 and etc, Xbone/360 controller, Thrustmaster or Saitek controller
#10  December 28, 2014, 07:09:46 pm
  • Estoy siempre listo para un desafío.
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
Ps2 pad is best if you have the ps2 to usb adapter,  u need to find them drivers for the
Accessory so its 100% workin right.

Xbox pad fuck that dpad if its a fighter. On any other type o game its fjne.
#11  December 28, 2014, 07:53:19 pm
    • USA
I guess turn off your console then? (not just redlight, like actually power it off) SHRUG!

yep I did that too Tempest, I did that too  :yes: lol

odd situation for now :-\ Thanks on those tips though

Lol yeah. I used to do that and play Tekken 6 on my big TV when my controller still worked. It's awesome aye?

Hell yeah man. Its lot better than just sittin up on the lap top like that. My screen is a 17 inch but I like to sit back and relax for the big screen!

if you are planning to play space sims or Mechwarrior

Saitek rhino, X52, Dual Logitech Extreme, Thrustmaster T.Flight X or Warthog

For Dead Rising 3, Darksiders 2 and etc, Xbone/360 controller, Thrustmaster or Saitek controller

Thanks on that man ill look into those! :thumbsup:

Ps2 pad is best if you have the ps2 to usb adapter,  u need to find them drivers for the
Accessory so its 100% workin right.

Xbox pad fuck that dpad if its a fighter. On any other type o game its fjne.

lol yeah I feel ya. I hate using the 360 pad for fighting games. I can play but not as effective like when im on my PS3. And yeah im still trying to see whats up with those drivers Tempest put me on to.  They should work since I have a PS3 controller n such. I gotta keep tinkering around till something happens. Certain PC games let me use my PS2 pad and some games don't. DR3 should though. I like that damn game and I want to fully enjoy it :bigcry:. Im going to get USSF4 from steam to see whats up with that too since its a fighting game. Hopefully that shit works. I can definitely play mugen with my PS2 pad though from its special USB adapter :-\

#12  December 28, 2014, 07:54:37 pm
  • what a shame
    • Iran
buy a wired 360 controller.

no drivers required, high game compatibility. just plug in and play.
#13  December 28, 2014, 07:57:31 pm
    • USA
buy a wired 360 controller.

no drivers required, high game compatibility. just plug in and play.

I do have a wired 360 pad. it has a lil short in it though as I was saying earlier. when it did come on (the light) it still didn't work for the game :-\.....but im gonna get  a new wire anyway to be extra sure
#14  December 28, 2014, 09:50:17 pm
  • Madman
  • Honorary Asshole
i have a PS2 controller which i use to play a few race games(burnout and classic NFS games), vanilla RE4, DMC4 and Darksiders
#15  December 28, 2014, 11:33:22 pm
    • USA
That's good to know since I have a PS2 pad that works with certain games. But im just baffled that I have a fairly new PS3 Dualshock 3 Sixaxis controller and it doesn't work on the Plug n play right now. I gotta figure this out because I plan to buy MGS 5 from steam too
#16  December 29, 2014, 01:09:48 am
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
#17  December 29, 2014, 01:19:47 am
    • USA
HMM very cool and nostalgic. something id buy off GP because that's my Childhood era of gaming from how it looks  :).

well I forgot good old amazon has some good selections & prices. so ill look there and see whats up
#18  December 30, 2014, 12:46:13 am
  • all is love in fair and war
my genuine x360 controller's left analog literally fell apart (the whole analog switch unsoldered itself from the PCB) after 1 month of light use... while my Logitech F310 still going strong after few years, so QC varies between one product to the next regardless of brands as they all made in China, probably even in the same OEM factory/ies... original x360 d-pad was horrible for fighting games imo.
#19  December 30, 2014, 01:36:47 am
    • USA
I'll be going to my import gaming store J&L here in NYC possibly this WED to see what they got. I don't like 360 pads either for fighting games smh. I can digest them for Adventure and other game genres though.

I tried for a couple hours getting those drivers to work like DS3 & MotionInJoy but still no cigar. Im sure they work though but i guess i need to just go and get those PC pads.
#20  December 30, 2014, 04:08:40 am
    • USA
IM SAVED  :buttrox:

This video right here below that I was directed to by another tech youtuber help me nail the issue without those other driverss!!  Now im rocking DR3 with my PS3 controller  :twisted:

Thanks for all the tips anyway folks :mugoi:....
Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 04:21:51 am by Legendary DeMoNk@I