YesNoOk

Djoul's stuff (Read 59006 times)

Started by Djoul, December 05, 2016, 01:43:49 pm
Djoul's stuff
#1  December 05, 2016, 01:43:49 pm
First I would like to specialy thanks "Just no point" for his time in PM. I decided to open my galery to not harass you anymore haha ! :P
The HDBZ team gave me lot advices to improve my style in order to make my sprites more HDBZ. Thx for that.
I am still learning and trying to improve.

If you would like to know more about me :
I began with mugen for 15 years now, I began with Low resolution sprites and I decided to move on High resolution sprites for years (I will show later).
I know the basics of coding and even if I enjoy that a lot, I don't have the time to be good. I love to eat snail.

I follow HDBZ project since the begining, and well, everybody knows that this game is a big success, the gameplay is truly amazing.
For fun I decided to sprite again in low resolution and I was very surprised to appreciate that a lot.

Constructive feedbacks would be very appreciate, you can find the evolution of my work here.

One month ago :

Tried to adapt my style one month ago (I put intentionnaly my sprites with no modification)

I met the HDBZ team and try to improve lot of things in my work : lightsource, color, lines and so on.

New Kid Buu concept (With HDBZ help)

I did others sprites (1 week ago) to practice

An animation with HDBZ team feedbacks (not finished and still in improvement):

A sprite of perfect Cell I did today :

Cheers !
Djoul
Re: Djoul's stuff
#2  December 05, 2016, 01:48:43 pm
    • Argentina
Oh boy! The sprites are amazing! Kid Buu improved a lot and I love the new version :D!

I think Imperfect Cell, Capt. Ginyu and Perfect Cell need some retouches but I've never tried the style myself so I can't give you enough feedback :( They're still good though ;)
#3  December 05, 2016, 01:59:43 pm
Thanks Hades ! Cleary Imperfect Cell and Captain Ginyu needs some improvement, they were done one week ago.
Perfect Cell was done this morning, I enjoy to draw him a lot.
#4  December 05, 2016, 04:51:03 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Woohoo glad to see you open this up! Can't wait to see more Kid Buu! Keep on practicing, you're doing great!
#5  December 05, 2016, 05:32:07 pm
  • Whats a girlfriend? its something you can eat?
    • Spain
Good luck with this! Sprites look good, they need some tunning but they are in the right direction.
They are way better than my first attemps at the style thats for sure!
#6  December 05, 2016, 08:15:00 pm
Thanks guys!

I did a new sprite, I tried to increase a little bit the size of the hands as requested in private.

This sprite should be use for an intro called "Awake from a long sleep" :P

A strange punch concept is in progress as well.
Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 08:18:39 pm by Djoul
#7  December 05, 2016, 08:38:29 pm
  • Shit
    • vadapega.akawah.net/motorroach/
Your Kid Buu sprite design has to be the best one I've seen in the sprite style so far. It looks very in style and pretty expressive looking as well, just as he should be. Great work.

Shit
#8  December 05, 2016, 09:02:00 pm
    • Canada
Some pretty big improvements in a small amount of time! He's pretty much nailed the style now. :) It looks way better than my early Super Buu sprites.

Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 10:55:48 pm by Barker
#9  December 05, 2016, 10:41:56 pm
It's like I didn't even lend a hand in shading the sprite (not correctly, but that's not the point), the first Djoul sprite was my overhaul, he took it and changed a few pixels and now everyone thinks he made that.
#10  December 05, 2016, 10:43:35 pm
    • Argentina
First of all, who are you?! :mean:

We know, Alex. We know. I'm sure that those who paid attention didn't forget what you did (it was a huge improvement).
#11  December 05, 2016, 10:55:19 pm
    • Canada
Apologies, I only saw the stuff that was in PMs. Edited my previous post.
#12  December 06, 2016, 12:36:07 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。

some brainstorming
#13  December 06, 2016, 01:43:37 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
I'll have to join in on the mspaint ideas after Piccolo is released. I am pretty pumped I may get to code a Kid Buu (Gotenks will still get coding priority of course no fear on more delays everyone)
#14  December 06, 2016, 10:27:50 am
Thx for the nice words.

Indeed Alexsin and thank you ! Barker's sprites helped me a lot as well.
Some very nice ideas Iced :) I like this kind of concept.

Here a strong/strange punch concept with a nice range. I tried to create it like a snake attack.

#15  December 06, 2016, 10:49:00 am
  • OOHWEE
    • Chile
    • http://nicotinefist1805.deviantart.com/
nice job so far! :) that punch animation doesn't look bad, but it lacks of impact. I would get rid of the fifth (or fourth) frame. Also it would improve a lot adding some movement at the antenna thing
#16  December 06, 2016, 11:08:34 am
Hello Nico,

Yes am totaly agree, I tried to add more frames but it gave me the feeling that my punch was no powerfull. :P

So if I understand well : I remove a frame and I will check for the antenna movement during the day.

Original

With one less frame
#17  December 06, 2016, 11:39:46 am
  • Dance the night away!
    • Australia
Lovin your kid buu stuff :D
While i think its really nice, the startup frames seem a bit odd

Probably needs to be a bit tweaked but it should look something like this

HQ

#18  December 06, 2016, 11:58:28 am
To be honest, I'm not a big fan of that punch.

- The body movement conveys that he is pulling back the stretched arm (and therefore should probably follow a punch that is more exaggerated & that has a proper anticipation of the actual punch)
- The weight of the animation should be placed on the front foot (the right one - spriters view) and his hip and body mass should also move towards that
- Having him look the other way is weird I think
#19  December 06, 2016, 12:05:13 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
I agree with HQ. The snake like anim of the arm itself is good but the body movement is all wrong. You won't be able to take shortcuts on attacks by keeping the body static and the same as his stance.

I can sketch out keyframes of how the body would move better for this. You should combine this anim with the frame of the sSP your pmed me earlier as that frame conveyed the weight and momentum well.
#20  December 06, 2016, 12:43:11 pm
I see ! And I have to say I am agree, I will check for something like the Hyper dimension move, the position of the body will be more adapted.
I go for that ?