YesNoOk

Prisons bans Dungeons and Dragons (Read 7702 times)

Started by Randomish, February 02, 2010, 01:03:07 am
Share this topic:
Prisons bans Dungeons and Dragons
#1  February 02, 2010, 01:03:07 am
  • The Mugen Philosopher!
    • Canada
    • www.freewebs.com/realreaper3
http://youbentmywookie.com/wtf/game-over-inmate-cant-play-dungeons-dragons-8150
A man serving life in prison for first-degree intentional homicide lost his legal battle Monday to play Dungeons & Dragons behind bars.

Kevin T. Singer filed a federal lawsuit against officials at Wisconsin’s Waupun prison, arguing that a policy banning all Dungeons & Dragons material violated his free speech and due process rights.

Prison officials instigated the Dungeons & Dragons ban among concerns that playing the game promoted gang-related activity and was a threat to security. Singer challenged the ban but the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals on Monday upheld it as a reasonable policy.

Dungeons & Dragons players create fictional characters and carry out their adventures, often working together as a group, with the help of complicated rules.

Singer, 33, has been a devoted player of the fantasy role-playing game since he was a child, according to the court ruling. After the ban went into effect, prison officials confiscated dozens of Dungeons & Dragons books and magazines in his cell as well as a 96-page manuscript he had written detailing a potential scenario for the game that players could act out.

Prison officials enacted the ban in 2004 after an inmate sent an anonymous letter expressing concern about Singer and three other inmates forming a “gang” focused around playing the game.

Singer was told by prison officials that he could not keep the materials because Dungeons & Dragons “promotes fantasy role playing, competitive hostility, violence, addictive escape behaviors, and possible gambling,” according to the ruling. The prison later developed a more comprehensive policy against all types of fantasy games, the court said.

The appeals court said the prison’s policy was reasonable and did not violate Singer’s rights.

“After all, punishment is a fundamental aspect of imprisonment, and prisons may choose to punish inmates by preventing them from participating in some of their favorite recreations,” the court said.

Singer was sentenced to life in prison in 2002 after being found guilty of first-degree intentional homicide in the killing of his sister’s boyfriend. The man was bludgeoned to death with a sledgehammer.

Department of Corrections spokesman John Dipko said the department was pleased with the decision and will continue to enforce rules that are designed to maintain a safe environment.

Singer’s court-appointed attorney, W.C. Turner Herbert of North Carolina, also did not immediately return a message seeking comment.

So yeah what do you think?
Welcome to the House of Fighting.
Re: Prisons bans Dungeons and Dragons
#2  February 02, 2010, 01:10:28 am
violated his free speech
I read only up to that part and the thought "that's where he lost" just popped in my head.
Anyway I think they should really have to prove that it's actually the case when they say stupid things like "it promotes gang behavior". They should have to actually see if it's only harmless playing, or prove that the people playing it really show that behavior. Otherwise by the same reasoning these guys could go to court and ban guns everywhere saying it enables you to commit murders (oh, yeah, they should).
So the question is, did the guy and his group really use it to form gangs, or were they only playing normally. Should they ban playing cards too ? Some card games allow players to form teams, afterall !
“After all, punishment is a fundamental aspect of imprisonment, and prisons may choose to punish inmates by preventing them from participating in some of their favorite recreations,” the court said.
Technically that does sound acceptable enough. But here again, they could just use that to justify putting everyone in a 2x2 cell with no bed and no skylight, because it's punishment.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 01:14:10 am by Byakko
#3  February 02, 2010, 01:11:52 am
Prisons bans Dungeons and Dragons
As they should.
I assure you that the percentage of rapes will go down after this.

Playing Dungeons and Dragons is like putting on a purple cape that reads, "Please...fuck me in the ass".
#4  February 02, 2010, 02:04:23 am
  • Sluggo is lit
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman

Yeah, he beat someone to death with a sledgehammer. I don't have a lot of sympathy for him because he can't play DnD.
#5  February 02, 2010, 02:45:10 am
  • WIP: SF4 CE
Technically that does sound acceptable enough. But here again, they could just use that to justify putting everyone in a 2x2 cell with no bed and no skylight, because it's punishment.
Bingo. They conceive prisons as punishment instead of rehabilitation to later re-enter society.

It would be cutting edge theory if we were in the 1700s, but not since the 1950s. Way better institutionalization paradigms have been developed in the last 50 years.

PS: D&D is for losers, anyway. Go play WoD.

#6  February 02, 2010, 01:54:50 pm
  • üks muretu olend
    • Finland
conscious dreamers can be treasurer to their own currency
im a conscious dreamer
therefore i can be treasurer to my own currency

i can be the mind controller
#7  February 02, 2010, 06:38:45 pm
  • bd poster :D
    • Italy
    • http://emanuelepepi.tk
A man serving life in prison for first-degree intentional homicide lost his legal battle Monday to play Dungeons & Dragons behind bars.
that's cool
#8  February 03, 2010, 02:22:01 pm
  • all is love in fair and war
that's cool

for such person, that equals to life sentence.
#9  February 03, 2010, 02:48:28 pm
  • I got a PM.
Of course. Only in shit kicking areas, do they hypocritically murder someone for murder.

This is crap because there logic is wrong. I mean they have had gangs before D&D was around. If they really want to stop gangs, maybe they should explore what it is in prison that causes them to flourish and stop that instead. I'm sure it has nothing to do with D&D. I bet talking encourages gang activity. Maybe they should remove their tongs?

Someone on /tg/ said that dice equals gambling and gambling equals gang activity. Be it as it may, I have no sympathy for killers.

PS: D&D is for losers, anyway. Go play oWoD.
Fixed.

Does that include soldiers, police, politicians, and every citizen of a state that carries out capitol punishment? Hell I can even argue that because you buy oil and use a computer that you are guilty of murder through proxy.

#10  February 03, 2010, 04:57:07 pm
I couldn't agree more.

#11  February 03, 2010, 09:29:26 pm
  • üks muretu olend
    • Finland
I worded myself wrong. I have no sympathy for murderers. Soldiers kill because it's necessary for a higher cause, police kill when there is no other option and capital punishment isn't an issue because criminals shouldn't have rights anyway.
im a conscious dreamer

#12  February 03, 2010, 09:33:20 pm
  • what a shame
    • Iran
"Losers have no rights. That's what history is all about"

- Clark Steel.

#13  February 03, 2010, 09:38:04 pm

#14  February 03, 2010, 10:12:42 pm
  • üks muretu olend
    • Finland
It's right there in my profile. And if they can't abide by the rules of society, why should they have any part in it?
im a conscious dreamer

#15  February 03, 2010, 10:24:09 pm
  • I got a PM.
"The degree of civilization in a society can be judged by entering the prisons."

Fyodor Dostoyevsky, The House of the Dead.
#16  February 03, 2010, 10:34:26 pm
  • üks muretu olend
    • Finland
You could quote anyone but it wouldn't change my opinion on this matter.
im a conscious dreamer

#17  February 03, 2010, 10:37:09 pm
  • Horrible
    • Sweden
    • http://network.mugenguild.com/anjel/
I think that they should not be threated like shit, but, in some countries (like in Sweden) the prisoners have it better than some families, and that's just wrong.
My shitty mugen stuff:
#18  February 03, 2010, 10:39:48 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
#19  February 03, 2010, 11:05:14 pm
  • Does this look like the face of mercy?
I think Yagami Light was right, if you kill all the criminals then you'll have a better world and anyone would think twice due to fear.
#20  February 03, 2010, 11:44:00 pm
Sure, that's why states with death penalty have less violent crimes than states which don't have it, and that's why countries with harsher laws have less crime...

NOT!

in some countries (like in Sweden) the prisoners have it better than some families, and that's just wrong.
If it works and they actually decrease crime violence and amount... I don't see why it would be so wrong.