YesNoOk

Kenpachi Zaraki [Download inside 3-17-2015] (Read 26956 times)

Started by Dope, April 18, 2014, 08:44:01 am
Share this topic:
Kenpachi Zaraki [Download inside 3-17-2015]
New #1  April 18, 2014, 08:44:01 am
    • thedopehouse.webs.com/

Some of you may be familiar with my old Kenpachi. If you are then I suggest you forget about it because it's trash compared to the current revamp I'm working on. Kenpachi was the very first mugen character I tried to create when I started coding back in 2010. Now with 4 more years of knowledge and experience I'm ready to give it another shot. This character has a lot of potential but sadly no one has ever created a truly great character out of it, myself included. Kenpachi has always been a character I've been passionate about creating and I'm excited to finally have the skill to make a great mugen character out of him. I believe Bleach fans and non-Bleach fans alike will enjoy this character. I recommend everyone that likes blade wielding characters to try him out when he's released.

Now onto the details. Gameplay wise he'll play similar to my latest Bleach mugen character, Uryu Ishida. Kenpachi is a very combo heavy character and it's quite easy to make all sorts of nice combos with him. Kenpachi is a six button character. 3 slash buttons (light, medium hard), punch, kick, and dash. The newest gameplay feature that makes Kenpachi stand out is his dash system. Kenpachi also has the same custom gauge that I gave Uryu. I've dubbed it the "Flash Gauge". Uryu's flash gauge's only purpose was to limit his flash stepping (A dash teleport of sorts to those of you that don't know). Kenpachi uses it for entirely different things. It's main use is for dashing, which is a new mechanic to Kenpachi's gameplay that I've never used in any of my previous mugen creations.

The flash gauge has 3 bars, as you can see in the above images. Each bar is gold when full. When using a bar it completely depletes and then refills itself slowly. Dashing is performed with the c button and uses one bar each time. After performing a dash you can cancel into almost any attack which also gives the basic attacks a slight velocity boost. Dashing can also be performed mid combo making it that much easier to rush in for extra blows. The z button hard slash also has a special quicker animation when performed after a dash which you can see in the second image above.

EX specials also use up one flash gauge bar. Here you can see a screenshot of Kenpachi's EX uppercut in use.

And here we have one of Kenpachi's revamped special attacks. His lunge special now functions similar to his Bleach DS counterpart where he lunges forward with his sword extended which hits multiple times. After that you can perform QCF, Slash to uppercut the enemy into the air for some short follow up air combos, or you can instead perform QCB, Slash to do an overhead slash to slam the opponent to the floor.

Now here's a sneak peak at his energy release super. I converted KOF XII Vice's fx to a more low-res style that only uses 8 shades. I like how it turned out and it's very nice to see in action.

I hope people are looking forward to this character as much as I am. It's truly the most entertaining project I've ever worked on.

Download for latest public alpha (March 17th, 2015)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/23h0pj
Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 09:16:26 pm by Dope
Re: Kenpachi Zaraki
#2  April 18, 2014, 09:52:02 am
    • Venezuela
    • Blacksight22@Yahoo.Com.Ve
    • Skype - sebastian.osio
This looks really DOPE man, looking forward to Kenpachi.
I haven't tried your Uryu, he's one of my fav chars, I'll look for it.

#3  April 18, 2014, 09:56:24 am
  • Food and Woman!
Man this is awesome, Kenpachi was a beast in Bleach, he's also my favourite character on Bleach. Must follow this project!
#4  April 18, 2014, 08:11:40 pm
  • StormEX
  • | Content Creator | Gamer | Programmer |
    • USA
    • Twitch.tv/ZayOsirisGaming
It's been way too long dope. Glad to see you're still in the game. :yes:

The project looks Great!
#5  April 19, 2014, 04:07:15 pm
    • thedopehouse.webs.com/
His B,B no longer hops back. He slides back instead now. Here's a look at a couple of the frames as well as the dust fx I'm using.

I plan on releasing a public alpha soon in maybe 2 or 3 weeks. He's ready for one now but I want to get a few more things done first. The alpha will only be available here in this topic.

This looks really DOPE man, looking forward to Kenpachi.
I haven't tried your Uryu, he's one of my fav chars, I'll look for it.
Thanks. And Uryu plays great, although he's only about 90% complete and needs other newer updates I've planned since his release.

Man this is awesome, Kenpachi was a beast in Bleach, he's also my favourite character on Bleach. Must follow this project!
Thank you. Kenpachi's always been my favorite too. I'm glad they gave him such great sprites to work with in Bleach DS.

It's been way too long dope. Glad to see you're still in the game. :yes:
Yeah it's been quite a while. I haven't been able to do any mugen stuff in almost a year now due to personal issues but I'm back at it now. Kenpachi's the only project I plan on working on for now. It's been a minute since I've sent you a copy of one of my projects, I'll send you a copy of Kenpachi now.
Re: Kenpachi Zaraki [Download inside] (Minor Sprite Help Wanted)
#6  May 19, 2014, 08:55:03 am
    • thedopehouse.webs.com/
First public alpha is now available. Everything you need to know should be in the Movelist text document.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/5fzqfb

Feedback, comments, and criticism are welcome.

I've also been wondering if there's any good spriters out there that would mind doing a bit of custom spriting for this character. Not much, maybe just an animation or two. If not I'll probably just do it myself like I usually do but I'm no Balthazar or Diepod.

Here's a couple new screenshots. First one is just to show the energy release super with a different palette and updated transparency values. Second just shows off 4 new palettes, 3 of which are VS Crusade inspired.
Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 08:58:39 am by Dope
#7  May 19, 2014, 04:56:08 pm
  • Spriter-in-Training
  • Learning new ways to sprite
    • USA
    • Skype - altherprimus
I must admit, this one feels WAY better in terms of basics, feels a LOT smoother transitioning between moves now,  looking forward to when he's finished!

Although I'm far from the world's best spriter, I'd be willing to help out with the sprites if you like.
Xan (on Skype) said:
Because fuck logic it's mugen

The reason I don't post more is because 1: I rarely have anything to say, and 2: I stink at saying it XP
#8  May 19, 2014, 05:15:42 pm
  • [The Destroyer]
  • College Life is Killing Me
    • USA
    • Skype - wattawright
    • mugencoder.com/authors/view/watta
I've always loved your characters man, good to see that you're still in the game :)
Re: Kenpachi Zaraki [Download inside]
#9  March 07, 2015, 05:16:24 am
    • thedopehouse.webs.com/
Started back up on Kenpachi. Sort of. Just now getting back into mugen creating after a long vacation but progress will still be slow. So far I've got another special attack done. It's a slash that sends out an energy wave. The slash doesn't travel far so it's kinda like Dan or Sakura's hadouken. The commands will be D,F, a (punch) which travels a short distance, then there's D,F, b (kick) which travels a medium distance, and then there's the EX version which travels a longer distance. I'm not sure if I'll go through with this next part but I was thinking of maybe making it chainable into an additional energy slash or two but with a different slash animation for Kenpachi. So kinda like the ki blasts for GokuZ2

Here's a look at the animation. There's 2 new custom sprited frames added to it

And a look at the slash effect I'm using

And a screenshot

For now it's only missing a sword trail effect so the sword's movement doesn't look as nice as it could but everything else is there.

Not sure what's next but it might be another special attack. After that's done I'll update the public alpha that's in the first post.
Re: Kenpachi Zaraki [Download inside]
#10  March 15, 2015, 04:24:29 pm
    • thedopehouse.webs.com/
New download available:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/9mdgk5

His energy slash special is now in as well as the EX version. I finished spriting the sword trail fx for it and added all the finishing touches. EX Thrust now has different properties. It still sends the opponent flying across screen to hit the wall but now it multi hits and can also use the follow up specials like the non EX versions do. Sound effect added to EX specials to further signify it's an EX move. Limitations of dashing and EX attacks according to flash gauge are now toggled on. And a couple screenshots of the updated EX Thrust and Energy Slash.

I plan on continually posting public alphas in this thread as progress is made. I don't care about keeping things private these days so I'm letting everyone enjoy the latest developments as they're made.
Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 04:29:11 pm by Dope
Re: Kenpachi Zaraki [Download inside 3-15-2015]
#11  March 15, 2015, 07:24:25 pm
  • Food and Woman!
Gonna check this up.
Re: Kenpachi Zaraki [Download inside 3-17-2015]
New #12  March 18, 2015, 04:13:39 am
    • thedopehouse.webs.com/
Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 09:16:54 pm by Dope