YesNoOk

Adding all characters & stages to mugen fast. (Read 13876 times)

Started by ChouZangetsu, June 11, 2007, 12:55:54 pm
Share this topic:
Adding all characters & stages to mugen fast.
#1  June 11, 2007, 12:55:54 pm
This works on XP. I'm not sure if the "dir * output > xxx.txt" command is the same for Vista. It might be.

Most people may already know this but this is for those who don't and spend hours adding their characters into their mugen.

I took my time in the video but I can add about 400+ names to my select.def in about 5 minutes.

Your character's folder name and .def file must have the exact same name.

Here's the high quality vid download. Use Windows Media Player.

Updated (file size is now just 56 MB)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/b39bxg
Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 11:26:09 pm by ChouZangetsu
Re: Adding all characters & stages to mugen fast.
#2  June 11, 2007, 01:47:20 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
Maybe a bit complicated for newbies who don't even know how to unzip a file which has .rar format :S , but nice method nevertheless.

Maybe you could move it into the tutorial section instead of this one (which is rather to ask questions) ;)
#3  June 12, 2007, 08:21:14 am
This is cool.

What is that Text editor you were using? Is it free?, and is it unformatted(Like notepad)? Spyware free?

Also what were the lines you typed on the command line to create the text files based on folder contents?

Real good instructions 8)
#4  June 16, 2007, 03:11:54 pm
What is that Text editor you were using?

It's called TextPad and you can get the trial version. It's also spyware free and unformated like notepad!

Also what were the lines you typed on the command line to create the text files based on folder contents?

If you wanted a complete list of all folders (not the folders in folders) and files in a directory you should open your dos command prompt, navigate to your current directory, and type dir * output > anyname.txt then press enter. It will create a notepad.txt document with a full list.

If you've got a directory with different files in it (like mp3s, avi, mpgs, etc), you can create a list of just the file type you want (like just all the mp3s in there) by typing dir *.mp3 output > anyname.txt.

To navigate to your current directory, right-click a blank space in there, pick properties, copy the entire line beside "Location" which would look something like C:\Documents and settings\Administrator.SIRSYSTEM.000\Desktop\folder name\ etc, open dos command prompt, type in cd then press space and paste the line in there and press enter. It should set itself to that directory. Then go ahead and make your lists.
Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 03:21:01 pm by ChouZangetsu
#5  June 16, 2007, 04:43:25 pm
  • DAT SAX
Doesn't really help much for people who have an organized system like me but still cool nonetheless.

~*The Last Quincy*~         ~Sig by [TempesT]
My MUGEN shit:
MvC2 Tron Bonne, MvC Kim Kaphwan, Barns (Destruction Desire),
and Burai Yamamoto (Arranged)
#6  June 19, 2007, 09:44:12 pm
  • Yume De Aetara fanboy of the highest caliber!
    • www.esnips.com/user/urzaspalettes
Rar compression is not as good as DGC compression. Any files I post are in DGC format to optimize space.

Ecchi, it calls to me...
#7  June 22, 2007, 09:23:46 pm
ChouZangetsu

Thanks for all the info. This really helps. Your a hero. This info will be a great use to me even outside Mugen.

By the way your youtube video isnt there anymore, but the Windows media player one still is.

Cheers ChouZangetsu :sugoi:

Doesn't really help much for people who have an organized system like me but still cool nonetheless.

My system is probably the most organised out of everyone, and its a great help to me.

Why bother posting a negative comment about this? Trying to increase your posts maybe?

Thats so sad. You could have helped someone out instead, considering your so well organised o_O

Now time to slate the spammer/advertiser/business people :ninja:

a.k.a. UrzaTheOtaku

Rar compression is not as good as DGC compression. Any files I post are in DGC format to optimize space.

DGC sucks. Need a specific extractor for it (Let me guess you made it in college?). The time it takes to get that makes it a complete waste of time. IZarc, or 7zip are free and have no spyware/adware/malware and do all standard compression types. :o

Who cares about better compression? I never heard of DGC, and its definitely not a standard. Anyway tar.gz is the best. Everyone has DSL anyway so compression doesnt matter. an extra milisecond, really do you notice that????? Go try and sell your college project to someone who gives a $h1t.

No one listen to this fool. If his compression was so good then linux would have adopted it. And it hasnt, therefore he's talking through his s-bend. 8)

I was on your website, and I prefer not do get your crappy DGC files/downloader. Probably dowsed in Spyware, Malware, Adware and AIDSware. >:D

Maybe people will download your files if you use a real compression format. ;D

PS what has this comment got to do with this post? Nothing its just blatant advertising.  ???
Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 09:30:07 pm by redlad
#8  June 23, 2007, 03:27:15 pm
ChouZangetsu

Thanks for all the info. This really helps. Your a hero. This info will be a great use to me even outside Mugen.

By the way your youtube video isnt there anymore, but the Windows media player one still is.

Cheers ChouZangetsu :sugoi:

Yeah, I removed the youtube video because the quality was so bad. You couldn't really see what I was typing either.

#9  June 23, 2007, 05:53:51 pm
  • DAT SAX
To RedLad:

How did I come off as negative?

When I said I have an organized system, I meant CvS chars in one place, SF chars in another, GGXX here, Melty Blood here.

Not everyone organizes alphabetically.

Don't accuse me of being negative. I said the method is still pretty cool, and if I didn't use my kind of system I'd definitely look into it. It may not be the best kind, like you so believe it is, but it's useful if you organize alphabetically.

~*The Last Quincy*~         ~Sig by [TempesT]
My MUGEN shit:
MvC2 Tron Bonne, MvC Kim Kaphwan, Barns (Destruction Desire),
and Burai Yamamoto (Arranged)
Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 05:56:01 pm by *~Ishida-Uryuu~*
#10  June 24, 2007, 02:30:22 am

I dont have anything alphabetical ?

I have my street fighter characters, and other 6 button chars (Not many)

However you are missing the point. This is a technique that can be applied elsewhere. You see i dont use this for characters. I use it for stages. And stages are easier alphabetical.

Or you could take it to a different level, and start all your char folders and def files with the game they are from, and then if you sort alphabetically, it will be sorted by game. Only if you were organized to start with ;P

You see this is simply a technique. Your application of the technique is up to you. How could you make use of this way of thinking. And yes it has saved me hours already. Adding 100 stages in no time. With time to check them all.

Also if you write your select.def file the way i do it then you can have different folder names to def files. I still dont actually do it but characters i made a mistake with still worked fine and are sorted by game:
cvs2ryu/ryu.def, random

How specific do you want to be is up to you.

The block selecting is great. Theres no way you can save time without it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ChouZangetsu
Yeah the video quality was bad on youtube, but it was still helpfull for what i got out of it. (thats why i asked you what you typed) Because i saw the video a few weeks ago.
#11  November 04, 2007, 05:27:13 pm
Great thread. I was just searching the net on ideas how to do this. Thought there would be a program or something. Any way I've been thinking a little bit about this and will try to do it using dos the same way as you did here but using Excel for all the editing. Then copying it to notepad.
Now I am become Death, destroyer of worlds.
#12  November 05, 2007, 07:59:33 am
  • If only I had my rainbow star back -_-
    • www.myspace.com/honest_luke
To RedLad:

How did I come off as negative?

When I said I have an organized system, I meant CvS chars in one place, SF chars in another, GGXX here, Melty Blood here.

Don't accuse me of being negative. I said the method is still pretty cool, and if I didn't use my kind of system I'd definitely look into it. It may not be the best kind, like you so believe it is, but it's useful if you organize alphabetically.
how were you negative to redlad? You just stated you liked it your way roflcopter  ::)
It's true that if you own a PS3 then all arguments made by those who don't have one are invalid.
#13  November 06, 2007, 02:32:53 am
  • uhhh, what happened to my avatar??
This video takes so friggin long to download

sig by TempesT