YesNoOk

Do you deserve a "PERFECT" / "FLAWLESS VICTORY" in this scenario?  (Read 23198 times)

Started by Cong Fu Man, July 12, 2007, 06:01:59 am
Share this topic:

Poll

You won a round with full health, but had regained some health earlier.  Do you still feel you deserve a "PERFECT KO" victory?

Yeah, I deserve it.
17 (44.7%)
Not, I don't really feel that I do.
21 (55.3%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Do you deserve a "PERFECT" / "FLAWLESS VICTORY" in this scenario?
#1  July 12, 2007, 06:01:59 am
  • 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100
Example: 

You won a round with full health using Heidern, but only because at some point in the round, you leeched off some of your opponent's health via a storm/killing bringer. 

The screen flashes "Perfect!" 

I am not limiting this question to just KOF, but any fighting games that may arise a situation like this.  Would you, as a player, feel that you deserve the praise, and whatever bonuses/points that may accompany it?  Or, do you feel that the "perfect" round is tainted? 

你們為什麼要跟我做对?  是不是想找死啊?  好!  我会成全你們的!!
Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 06:05:34 am by Cong Fu Man
Re: Do you deserve a "PERFECT" / "FLAWLESS VICTORY" in this scenario?
#2  July 12, 2007, 06:17:23 am
  • mm music
    • mugenxero.deviantart.com
Quite so! Often the leeching/healing moves are huge risks and you must plan them intelligently to use them efficiently so I would say you deserve the perfect.

I have many names, 
                            Chrisis X is my current sig :P

mugenxero.deviantart.com = Me
#3  July 12, 2007, 06:20:02 am
Nope. All characters I've ever used in fighting games never had a healing move. Yep, that's how cool I'am.
#4  July 12, 2007, 05:47:02 pm
  • A True Saiyan...
    • dbzgt.scruffydragon.com/index.php
nah. A perfect to me is when you don't get hit.  :P
#5  July 12, 2007, 06:53:21 pm
    • Peru
No.
#6  July 12, 2007, 11:48:22 pm
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/
You made a good point, I wonder why they never thought/bothered about it. And yeah I agree that it shouldn't be a perfect.
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.
#7  July 13, 2007, 12:04:39 am
  • Now your gonna feel my hooks! OH YEAH!!
I vote yes. Player status = Perfect meaning having no visible damage done. Thus PERFECT!  Never really thought about it though, good point.  ;P
#8  July 13, 2007, 12:08:40 am
  • Aka ShadesTeam/Zeckle
i think it should be a perfect with a question mark or nothing at all
XD
cause perfect means there werent any mistakes made and getting damaged means you made a mistake
Shades 2 site:Shades of Manhattan

MachinaWeapon

#9  July 13, 2007, 05:16:40 pm
No, in essence perfect should be defined in fighting games as not being hit at all, making no mistakes.
#10  July 13, 2007, 05:21:48 pm
  • Yume De Aetara fanboy of the highest caliber!
    • www.esnips.com/user/urzaspalettes
Perfect/Flawless Victory means you totally owned the other person. If you were hit, even if you gain life back, it's not a perfect victory.

Ecchi, it calls to me...
#11  July 13, 2007, 09:05:03 pm
  • much love to r. kelly
#12  July 13, 2007, 10:58:35 pm
    • USA
yeah, perfect should means not get hit at all...

but... I have another question...

in kof games, when you win a round with low life, and recover some but you dont get your fullbar, and you are in the next round with less than 100% life, you don't get hit at all and you win, should that be considered perfect? I mean you didn't get hit at all but you dont have the full bar :P
#13  July 14, 2007, 01:06:35 am
  • duwa duwa
lol perfect = never getting hit or full life bar
play to win btw.

like cars in reverse ,  ya better back up
#14  July 14, 2007, 01:34:08 am
  • mm music
made no mistakes can be interpretted multiple ways as if you're good you could plan on taking hits in order to guarentee other ones *like sac throws* and if you planned for it and recovered as part of your plan then you completed it with no mistakes, ergo perfect. Though starting with under max life and not getting hit at all I also see as a should be perfect.

I have many names, 

#15  July 14, 2007, 10:09:35 pm
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/
but... I have another question...

in kof games, when you win a round with low life, and recover some but you dont get your fullbar, and you are in the next round with less than 100% life, you don't get hit at all and you win, should that be considered perfect? I mean you didn't get hit at all but you dont have the full bar :P
IMO perfect should mean both not getting hit and having a full lifebar, so no (though I sometimes also asked myself the same).
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.
#16  July 15, 2007, 01:29:54 am
IMO, it should be considered perfect because for me, perfect means not getting hit, not just having a full lifebar. That's just me though.
#17  July 15, 2007, 03:35:51 am
    • Germany
well, it was said before - perfect does per definitionem mean without a mistake, not even a recovered one.

on the other hand, losing life and regaining it could be seen as a whole instead of two situations in a battle, thus not a "flaw"

ah well I'm okay with either. seeing "perfect" flashing onscreen after you took a jab and then regaining life with something like lei's dragon stance throw does feel great :P
Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 03:43:56 am by Valodim
#18  July 15, 2007, 04:57:26 pm
  • Nothing ever ends
    • Portugal
    • www.justnopoint.com/loona
It shouldn't be that hard to adjust those healing/life-draining moves to calculate the amount of recovered life based on how much you already have, so that at most you can only reach lifemax-1 (unless your lifebar's already full)...
#19  July 15, 2007, 09:23:23 pm
  • mm music
and if you heal at full it should say pwnz instead of perfect =p

I have many names, 

MachinaWeapon

#20  August 02, 2007, 03:24:11 am
#21  August 02, 2007, 06:32:58 am
i think it should be a perfect with a question mark or nothing at all
XD
cause perfect means there werent any mistakes made and getting damaged means you made a mistake

Q4T
#22  August 07, 2007, 12:11:02 am
    • www.mmeras.com/phpbb3/index.php?sid=c723bb48504bb3a0e06da45a2337a21e
Full health is full health! =P

If it means perfect like

Perfect health! Then yeah! Course I deserve it... But if it says... Flawless Perfection or something like that.. You know what i mean. Then no, I don't deserve it.
#23  August 18, 2007, 10:29:45 am
  • If only I had my rainbow star back -_-
    • www.myspace.com/honest_luke
It's true that if you own a PS3 then all arguments made by those who don't have one are invalid.

SNT

#24  August 26, 2007, 03:56:17 pm
  • Super Old Bitter Dude
    • Australia
As a Yoshimitsu player I'm totally biased here, but I think so.  Full health means no damage.  Most health recovery techniques leave their user wide open for attack, so if an opponent is dumb enough to let him heal back to full health, then he deserves to have big letters blaring PERFECT in his face.

It depends on your interpretation of fighting games in general.  I've always seen a health meter less as medical wellbeing and more as mental determination, their will to fight, if you will.  Once the bar hits zero, they're thinking to themselves "Yknow, I'm just not gonna get up.  That way, I won't have to fight him/her/it any more."  It's a pretty immature way to look at it, sure, but it does explain how (more often in the 3D games), a continue screen has the loser walking away in a huff, or throwing a tantrum, etc. instead of being literally knocked out.  Health regeneration techniques could be viewed simply as the player psyching themselves back up.  To that end, a perfect victory, in this case, would be a victory in which the winner is not at all demoralised by hits taken.  Taking a hit wouldn't matter if he's too psyched up to feel it, so the attack had no effect on the fight.  Therefore, a hit that gets healed shouldn't count against a perfect win.