YesNoOk

Dragon Ball Z Mugen Butouden 16 bits project (Read 7924 times)

Started by vlad_alucard, March 06, 2019, 09:21:34 pm
Share this topic:
Dragon Ball Z Mugen Butouden 16 bits project
#1  March 06, 2019, 09:21:34 pm
    • Argentina

First of all I apologize for my English. I'm using Google Translate. And second if it is possible that they have seen my project in some pages are experimental versions that I made and distributed out there both the fullgame and elements of this. I have decided to take it more seriously and focus on trying to get something of quality for everyone in and out of the mugen community.

The goal of this project is to have a balanced, light and easy to use game for casual players. It has basic Arcade mechanics and most movements are based on Hyper Dimension. Super Butouden saga and Buyuu Retsuden respecting and always staying true to the aesthetics of the 16-bit games of the saga. This reflected in the effects, sprites, color palettes and sound. To have a 16 bit experience more true to the retro use midis files instead of mp3.

Screenpack

This contains elements of the mentioned games. The presentation of the selection screen is a combination of the silhouettes of Super Butouden, The portraits of Buyuu Retsuden. The background is reference to the game of genesis but obscured to reference the black screen of SNES and decorations of Hyper Dimension

Roster:

In the final version there will be two types of characters: the basic characters and the skins. The basic characters are shown on the normal roster and appear in the arcade mode. The Skin characters are accessed by going to the void that is next to this character, its slot does not appear on the screen but it is easily accessible, Skin characters do not appear in the arcade mode unless this is modified.

Characters:

Skin Characters:

Characters Progress:                                                          Skin Character Progress:

Goku SSJ                        (Done)                                                  GT Goku            (Done)
KidGohan SSJ2               (Done)                                                  Movie 9 Gohan (Done)
Future Trunks                 (Done)                                                  Without Jacket  (Done)
Krillin                              (Done)                                                  Buu Saga (Done)
Piccolo                           (Done)                                                  Nail Skin            (Possible)
Vegeta                           (Done)                                                  Buu Saga (Done) GT Vegeta (Possible)
Bethida                          (Done)   AKA: Majin Vegeta                 Baby Vegeta (Possible)
Android18                     (Done)                                                  Buu Saga (Possible)
Frieza                             (Done)                                                  Mecha Frieza  (Possible)
Cell                                (Done)                                                   (No Skin)
Majin Buu                      (Done)                                                   (No Skin)
Broly                              (Done)                                                   (No Skin)
Adult Gohan                  (Done)                                                   Ultimate Gohan (Done)
Recoome                       (Done)

Super Buu                      (WIP)                                                   (No Skin)
Ginyu                            (WIP)
Dabura                          (WIP)

Mr. Satan                      (Possible)
CellJr                             (Possible)
Kaioshin                        (Possible)
Kid Trunks SSJ              (Possible)
Goten SSJ                     (Possible)
Dr Gero                        (Possible)
Yamcha                        (Possible)
Ten Shin Han               (Possible)

Maybe it adds movie characters but that is in see.

I will detail the general aspects of the chars below.
On standing ground:
2 kick buttons (a, b)
2 punch buttons (x, y)
2 quick scroll buttons (c, z) Super Butouden mechanics in replacement of the L and R of the SNES joystick
Teasing (s)
Load of Ki (x + a)
Basic fireball (Back + b)

On crouched ground:
Crouching punch (x)
Uppercut Launcher (y)
Crouching kick (a)
Sliding Kick (b)

Jumping:
Aerial punch (x / y)
Aerial kick (a / b)

Flight (z + c) Flight system based on the GohanSSM2 code with the exception that during the flight the character can not do crouched commands except the uppercut if he has it.

Each character has a unique ability that can be passive or active by or during some movement.
Each character has two specials. One strong and one weak. The strong represented as when you execute a long distance special in Super Butouden / Buyuu Retsuden and the weak one representing a special made at close range.

Each character also has an automatic combo command that can be easily counteracted but otherwise removes as much health as a weak special.

Each character has in one of its movements one that can be used as a counterattack at the moment in which it is receiving damage, this can serve as to re-attack the opponent or as to put itself at a safe distance.

Sound

All the sound effects are rippeados of the games of the time. And the OST also including tracks that are not from fighting games but from the franchise

Scenarios

There will be one minimum for each character specially customized for this one.

NOTE The sprites and elements that have a previous creator for example the Sprites of Krillin that I do not create and as much modify them have their corresponding credits in the readme of each char.

Elements to add

*Pre-battle dialogs like DBZME2
*Smash Buttom Autocombat
Help me i can't change profile picture!!!! D:
Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 09:49:53 am by vlad_alucard
Re: Dragon Ball Z Mugen Butouden 16 bits project
#2  March 21, 2019, 03:43:33 am
    • Argentina
Upgrade: Android 18, Cell and Frieza are Done!!
#3  March 21, 2019, 04:37:55 pm
    • Germany
#4  March 22, 2019, 04:33:29 am
    • Argentina
Upgrade: Android 18, Cell and Frieza are Done!!

Nice, on which character will you work next?

I`m Working on Broly right now. it looks a lot like Broly from dbz me2 but adapted to the mechanics of this game. It will not have as many special moves as that version but it will be just as cruel. What is slower is to edit the sprites because I make sure that the color palettes are separated in all possible details to be able to have freedom of creativity with them. Obviously it will be the Broly SB2 but with the separation of colors it will have a palette dedicated to the new canonical Broly.

Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 04:36:51 am by vlad_alucard
#5  March 22, 2019, 05:14:08 am
  • Don't copy code if you don't understand it.
    • USA
    • a13rown@hotmail.com
Awesome Project!!!  I have always been a big fan of the early DBZ games.  I still play Super Butouden 2, 3, and DBZ Hyper Dimension to this day.  I hope one day you decide to also add 17.  He was always one of my favorites.

Anyways, good luck!!!
#6  March 29, 2019, 11:30:54 am
    • Argentina
Awesome Project!!!  I have always been a big fan of the early DBZ games.  I still play Super Butouden 2, 3, and DBZ Hyper Dimension to this day.  I hope one day you decide to also add 17.  He was always one of my favorites.

Anyways, good luck!!!

Thank you so much!!!

Upgrade: Broly is done I started with Majin Buu after Him and Adult Gohan I will release a beta for testing. I Think what 17 is a good adition for now is a Helper for Android 18 when she uses the energy shield and do a cameo for the Intro. The problem with Android 17 is that it is very obvious that they are Trunks sprites. I could do it if I took the time to work with Android 18 Sprites from SB1 but for now it's a lot of work. With the exception of Super Buu I try to work as much as possible with the original material of the games and modify them as little as possible. If they are modified sprite sets they have to be well edited to save my work. The 17 that you show me when you do the separation of color you notice that it has the color palettes broken. And the Chrono Stife has a completely different style to Super Butouden, in addition to having the same problem with colors.

Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 11:49:32 am by vlad_alucard
#7  April 05, 2019, 04:31:44 pm
    • Argentina
I have a question for those who are interested in the project.

Do they want the chars to fly? the only difference that I find to fly or not is that the flight serves to attack more "cowardly" at a distance and to escape special attacks. And as a disadvantage I see that there are attacks that are not seen well shot in the air and that being unable to flee so easily gives the feeling of a closer and more intense combat.

Anyway, I'm going to program the flight in all the chars. But I will have it disabled in the .cmd file by putting the ";" so that whoever wants to activate it at will.
#8  April 05, 2019, 08:30:27 pm
  • Fist of Nothingness
  • I'm not powerful.
    • Mexico
    • j_llamosa@hotmail.com
Oh man... now i'm excited.
#9  April 05, 2019, 10:06:41 pm
    • Germany
Thank you so much!!!

Upgrade: Broly is done I started with Majin Buu after Him and Adult Gohan I will release a beta for testing. I Think what 17 is a good adition for now is a Helper for Android 18 when she uses the energy shield and do a cameo for the Intro. The problem with Android 17 is that it is very obvious that they are Trunks sprites. I could do it if I took the time to work with Android 18 Sprites from SB1 but for now it's a lot of work. With the exception of Super Buu I try to work as much as possible with the original material of the games and modify them as little as possible. If they are modified sprite sets they have to be well edited to save my work. The 17 that you show me when you do the separation of color you notice that it has the color palettes broken. And the Chrono Stife has a completely different style to Super Butouden, in addition to having the same problem with colors.

Nice to see that Broly is already done, and will Adult Gohan have two versions too (Purple Gi & Turtle Gi) or is there a option for a seperate Ultimate Gohan?

And about 17, if you consider to add him I would suggest to that you realy edit 18 sprites from SB1 for this, many creators seem to forget that 18 and 17 are supposed to have same size, and make him far too to big, and I guess the SB1 sprites of 18 would be the easiest way to create a Super Butouden style 17 without creating new sprites from scratch.

I have a question for those who are interested in the project.

Do they want the chars to fly? the only difference that I find to fly or not is that the flight serves to attack more "cowardly" at a distance and to escape special attacks. And as a disadvantage I see that there are attacks that are not seen well shot in the air and that being unable to flee so easily gives the feeling of a closer and more intense combat.

Anyway, I'm going to program the flight in all the chars. But I will have it disabled in the .cmd file by putting the ";" so that whoever wants to activate it at will.

I'm ok with flying, it was a part of the Original Super Butouden games anyway, and I guess that you add a way to deactivate it is a great compromise for everyone who don't like the Fly option.
#10  April 05, 2019, 10:38:54 pm
    • Argentina

Nice to see that Broly is already done, and will Adult Gohan have two versions too (Purple Gi & Turtle Gi) or is there a option for a seperate Ultimate Gohan?

And about 17, if you consider to add him I would suggest to that you realy edit 18 sprites from SB1 for this, many creators seem to forget that 18 and 17 are supposed to have same size, and make him far too to big, and I guess the SB1 sprites of 18 would be the easiest way to create a Super Butouden style 17 without creating new sprites from scratch.

I'm ok with flying, it was a part of the Original Super Butouden games anyway, and I guess that you add a way to deactivate it is a great compromise for everyone who don't like the Fly option.

Yes, first I finished the editions of Sprites of Gohan of SB3, it has too many faults, the shadows, the separation of colors, the size is huge and that added to that some sprites are deformed in the head. After that I will make the "Ultimate" version as a skin.

About the flight as I said it will be programmed and ready but deactivated when I launch it. It is activated by editing the .cmd file

Oh man... now i'm excited.

Thank You so much
#11  April 05, 2019, 11:20:19 pm
    • Germany
#12  April 06, 2019, 04:54:46 am
    • Argentina
No problem my friend so here are a long time projects for the future my own handmade sprites for Tien and Android 17

Tien is a fusion of Piccolo sprites and Tien sprites made by Team OS I decide to make my own sheet because that sprites got a broken color palette, are a little bit bigs and the shading is not in butouden style,

Like Ï said before there are an edit of Android 18 sprites from SB1 with edited Goku pants from the same game.

If there is a spriter that would like to help accelerate these projects, it would be welcome if not, it does not matter but I could not confirm that I would finish them some day
#13  April 06, 2019, 05:22:17 am
    • Argentina
Some Screenshots showing the Super Specials

Note: maybe I will change Final Flash for Big Bang Attack on Majin Vegeta
Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 03:25:08 am by vlad_alucard
#14  April 09, 2019, 03:56:03 am
    • Argentina
UPDATE:

Majin Buu is finished I will put focus in Adult Gohan now. about the beta for testing the chars in the beta will doen't have AI. I will add the AI when the roster be complete for a full release
#15  April 14, 2019, 06:08:32 am
    • Argentina
LAST UPDATE BEFORE THE BETA FOR TESTING

I finished the char base of Adult Gohan I go on to make the alternative skin in his ultimate form. Here you can see the diferences between the original from Super Butouden 3 and mine versions.

#16  April 17, 2019, 05:50:24 pm
    • Germany
I Like your redesign, the head of the original sprite always looked a little bid odd.
#17  May 06, 2019, 07:23:26 pm
    • Germany
I tried to play your Beta but if I try to start it I get the Following Errormessage:

This application could not be started because the side-by-side configuration is invalid. For more information, see the application event log. More details can also be viewed using the sxstrace.exe command-line tool.
(Translated via google Translate from German to Englisch)

After that I looked in the Mugen.log and found this:

Code:
Initializing pads...failed

Code:
Load [Victory Screen]...Couldn't load

Code:
Load TitleBG...VersusBG...VictoryBG...Error loading VictoryBG

Code:
Initializing select screen...finding characters...
  Error reading character file: chars/-/-.def

Error reading character file: chars/No use Space/No use Space.def

Error reading character file: chars/No use Space-/No use Space-.def

Everything else in the log seems to be ok as far as I can see.
#18  May 06, 2019, 11:46:59 pm
    • Argentina
I tried to play your Beta but if I try to start it I get the Following Errormessage:

This application could not be started because the side-by-side configuration is invalid. For more information, see the application event log. More details can also be viewed using the sxstrace.exe command-line tool.
(Translated via google Translate from German to Englisch)

After that I looked in the Mugen.log and found this:

Code:
Initializing pads...failed

Code:
Load [Victory Screen]...Couldn't load

Code:
Load TitleBG...VersusBG...VictoryBG...Error loading VictoryBG

Code:
Initializing select screen...finding characters...

Everything else in the log seems to be ok as far as I can see.

Is strange, try change the .exe or the resolution
#19  May 07, 2019, 03:12:44 am
    • Argentina
Already confirm that it is an error of the executable file. Surely it happened during the compression or when I uploaded it. Just copy a mugen 1.1 executable into the folder that should be enough to fix it
#20  May 08, 2019, 04:25:34 pm
    • Germany
Already confirm that it is an error of the executable file. Surely it happened during the compression or when I uploaded it. Just copy a mugen 1.1 executable into the folder that should be enough to fix it

ok thx.