YesNoOk

Hyper DragonBall Z Intro (Read 32759 times)

Started by Invictusok, September 15, 2014, 10:22:49 pm
Share this topic:
Hyper DragonBall Z Intro
#1  September 15, 2014, 10:22:49 pm
    • USA
I love DBZ and the whole idea of Hyper DragonBall Z. This game got me into Mugen and I've been on the edge of my seat waiting for more stuff to come out for this game.

So because of that I've decided to take the initiative and make an intro for this game. I've got storyboards and a number of things already done on the intro.

Sources of inspiration:

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Title:

Normal Colours-

Alt Colours-

Finished Work:

Misc.:

Steam banner I made months ago when the game came out to the public-

Kakarot comic bubble inspired by Spider-Man's taunt in Marvel vs Capcom-

Feel free to pitch in, throw ideas, give criticism. I'll use this thread to document my progress. The most important things I need are Cybaster and Balthazar's blessing and a theme song from WizzyWhipIt lol
Re: Hyper DragonBall Z Intro
#2  September 16, 2014, 02:44:59 am
    • USA
Took the moon from the "Red Thirst" stage in Darkstalkers 3

and put the glow from Goku's House at Night

behind it:

I also used the same colour of the night sky from the stage.
#3  September 16, 2014, 07:26:39 am
    • USA
Updated the dragon ball so it matches the colour palette found on the Namek stage. Also made use of above lighting.
#4  September 16, 2014, 10:04:32 am
    • Australia
    • euan.a.carpenter@gmail.com
this is looking so good!
#5  September 16, 2014, 11:27:11 am
  • Koi.
    • USA
    • Skype - Wizzy.WhipitWonderful
    • wizzywhipitwonderful.webs.com
Great work, Invictusok!

Iced and Balthazar might be interested in your works.

We would have to talk with the rest of the team about a theme song....
Slow and steady wins the race, but there is a darkness... growing inside of me...

And if you provoke it...

I will slay you all.

Donate Here
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=B92JC32FZ5CME
#6  September 16, 2014, 12:04:56 pm
    • France
    • louis.salome@live.fr
I can either hear Cha la head cha la or hero with that intro, or anything else since it looks awesome lol.
Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 01:01:38 pm by Loupil
#7  September 16, 2014, 07:41:07 pm
    • USA
Oh Wizzy you replied lol. I'm kinda star struck since I've been listening to alot of your music lately. You have alot of great work and deserve much more recognition. Thanks a ton for filling my ears and my mind with your music and the kind words. Thank you Loupil and Euan C.

Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 07:44:14 pm by Invictusok
#8  September 16, 2014, 07:44:08 pm
    • France
    • louis.salome@live.fr
I'd go for the intro sky color
#9  September 16, 2014, 08:17:51 pm
    • USA

This is what I'm currently working on atm. Having trouble figuring out a colour palette for recolouring the dragon ball. I plan on having this sequence fully animated within the next hour and a half.

I'm gonna need some pine tree sprites that match the Hyper DBZ style and those pillar type mountains.
#10  September 16, 2014, 09:46:49 pm
  • Fuck you.
    • Philippines
    • Skype - Markpachi
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/-opensource-mps-psds-stages-and-resources-please-put-them-good-use-172321.0.html
I honestly think you should hold out on making this for now, since the whole game roster isn't really made yet.

Rest in peace, Tamez. Thank you for everything.
#11  September 17, 2014, 01:50:58 am
    • USA

The stars might need some work done. After that this sequence will be finished very quickly.

Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 07:15:31 am by Invictusok
#12  September 17, 2014, 03:06:00 am
    • USA
Frame 2-

Frame 3-

Frame 4-

Frame 5-

Frame 6-

Up to 7 frames right now
Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 06:58:58 am by Invictusok
#13  September 17, 2014, 01:20:03 pm
    • France
    • louis.salome@live.fr
nicely done !
#14  September 17, 2014, 04:09:04 pm
  • SNK is life
Why are the pixels in different resolutions? :S

The ball's pixels are huge, then the Stars' have super small and well defined pixels.
#15  September 17, 2014, 04:36:42 pm
  • DCB | Vato
    • Bolivia
    • www.justnopoint.com/dshiznetz
Gotta have the chala intro

HQ

#16  September 17, 2014, 05:52:58 pm
#17  September 17, 2014, 11:22:48 pm
    • USA
Why are the pixels in different resolutions? :S

The ball's pixels are huge, then the Stars' have super small and well defined pixels.

Reason for this is because I made the image ultra big and was editing it that way. The stars on all of the frames need to be pixelized so I'll get around that at some point. Help would be wonderful.

I think an Intro like this Would be easier to make And Look more original:

http://quartercirclejab.tumblr.com/post/97118510495

I like your Effort but you Should coordinate with the z2 Team if they are Interested on your Talent ;)

I really like the way you're thinking. I can't make sprites in the Z2 style to save my butt though. The first few frames are very inspiring towards this project.

The 4 star animation is completed. All that's needed to truly complete the sequence are the pillar-like mountains and pine trees. There's only like 5-7 different images needed.

The first 3 seconds of this I'd like to do. I'm not sure what to do about Gohan though since that's 7 seconds of movement. Plus the backgrounds and clouds I'm gonna need. Shenron can be taken from the Goku Z2 files and make him close his mouth. Might need a lighting change.

I'll probably position Shenron and extend his body if needed for this part and then maybe work on Vegeta and Nappa walking or something else.....
Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 11:42:47 pm by Invictusok
#18  September 18, 2014, 04:42:34 am
    • USA
Test image of progress so far:
#19  September 20, 2014, 01:57:24 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
This is some pretty nice WIP and cool job you're doing here.

As said, since the roster isn't set in stone (far from it), you might want to limit your spriting to generic DBZ stuff and the already created chars for now.

My biggest advice, apart from what walt said with the resolution, is paying attention not to mix styles.
Your Piccolo and last hand images have a fine color count with some antialiasing. I think this is what you should go for. The Dragon Ball animation lacks anti-aliasing and is very limited color-wise, whereas the sky in the BG with the blue hills uses 32bits gradients, which is too colorful for the style.
Long story short, try to converge towards a medium color count, giving more colors to the dragon ball, and applying dithering to the blue background.

Good luck ! ;)
#20  September 21, 2014, 12:02:30 am
    • USA
What's dithering? I used the same amount of colours as Piccolo and the hand for the dragon ball, just took colours from already made HDBZ stuff and applied it. I'll keep in mind the pixel related stuff although I'm not exactly sure how to anti-alias the dragon ball itself. And thank you.

The android hand sequence should be finished today along with some other stuff. The opening title sequence I finished in After Effects yesterday. I'll upload gifs soon. Anybody is free to chip in ideas. This intro will not just feature the chala intro stuff but it will branch into character showcasing among other things. It will be the intro that Capcom would have given DBZ.

If anybody wants to help out with the spriting/photoshop process you're more than welcome to.

Work so far:

The next thing that I want to start working on is having outlines of 4 major villians from the series with a black background. Have Vegeta in blue outline, Frieza with purple, Cell with green, Buu with pink.

UPDATE:
Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 04:27:08 am by Invictusok