YesNoOk

Y'all know that .ai file is not only a placeholder? (Read 4245 times)

Started by MKII, December 12, 2013, 06:10:05 am
Share this topic:
Y'all know that .ai file is not only a placeholder?
#1  December 12, 2013, 06:10:05 am

And the content actually differs when different moves hit/miss the opponent.

I wonder how it works?
Reppu-reppu-reppu-reppu-reppu-
Re: Y'all know that .ai file is not only a placeholder?
#2  December 12, 2013, 06:20:59 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
It doesn't. It fills up with gibberish, but it has no effect (or a supremely negligible one) on a characters performance.

IIRC Byakko ran some tests with kyo + .ai vs Kyo no .ai to see what happened. Over 100 matches the ratio was like, 55:45. And that's not a big enough difference to say that the .ai was making much difference.

So, yeah, it is a waste of time, i suppose it's something that was meant to be implemented but wasn't/

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#3  December 12, 2013, 06:23:03 am
  • Thanks and God bless
    • USA
    • ricepigeon.neocities.org
Noticed the gibberish code and decided to take a look at the file in Word out of curiousity, and noticed that it seems to be encoded in Shift_JIS. Was this something that Byakko encountered during his test as well?
#4  December 12, 2013, 06:32:12 am
It doesn't. It fills up with gibberish

Well, I don't know if it affects a character's performance or not, but I'm confident it's not filled up with gibberish.

You can open the file with a hex editor, and it actually contains useful information. I did a very quick investigation and found out the following:

The file registers every kind of attack, states such as run, walk and jump are ignored.

How do I know that? The integer at 0x40 in the file registers how many kinds of attack the character has used since the file was generated.

Then, for each attack, a block that has the size 0x4B4 is added to the header, which has a size of 0x148.

Different moves write similar info into that block, with a few differences, probably representing different staetnos

If a move hits or misses, the content in that 0x4B4 block will be different in about 4 places. Different moves that hit/miss differs in the same location

But this still doesn't say much, aside from the fact that the data in it is meaningful in some way. It probably still doesn't affect the characters performance tho
#5  December 12, 2013, 06:40:36 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
iirc it is somehow related to your computer, so the file is unportable, meaning thatif you release a character that ahs a .ai file that has been finely tuned in your mugen, once anothwr person uses your character the file will be deleted/overwritten and it will become "useless" anyway.

Posted: December 12, 2013, 06:41:55 am
also, I remember it made a small difference with simplistic ai coding, iirc, the chaarcter would also block better, so if the chaarcter's cns custom ai did not take over a lot of functions, like blocking or moving around that ai file was useful.
#6  December 12, 2013, 06:46:59 am
  • Thanks and God bless
    • USA
    • ricepigeon.neocities.org
Starts to make you wonder if the ability to read information from that file would assist in the integration of adaptive AI, if such as feature was planned but never used?
#7  December 12, 2013, 06:51:52 am
iirc it is somehow related to your computer, so the file is unportable, meaning thatif you release a character that ahs a .ai file that has been finely tuned in your mugen, once anothwr person uses your character the file will be deleted/overwritten and it will become "useless" anyway.

Posted: December 12, 2013, 06:41:55 am
also, I remember it made a small difference with simplistic ai coding, iirc, the chaarcter would also block better, so if the chaarcter's cns custom ai did not take over a lot of functions, like blocking or moving around that ai file was useful.

Will look into the effect of blocking on the file's content
#8  December 18, 2013, 10:12:35 pm
    • China
    • http://vans.trinitymugen.net/
I remember someone mentioning it was part of an incomplete AI training option. IIRC only basic descriptions of such a feature remained deep in the winmugen exe.
#9  December 19, 2013, 08:06:45 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
I have found mugen's default AI to be particularly block heavy regardless. As i say, when this was first discovered people did test it and found it did so little that it wasn't worth looking at. Now you only really see it if someone mistakenly thinks .ai is a good extension for a seperate AI file.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.