YesNoOk

Five Nights at Freddy's (Read 399005 times)

Started by Sleepy Eskimo, August 16, 2014, 05:51:10 pm
Share this topic:
Five Nights at Freddy's
#1  August 16, 2014, 05:51:10 pm
  • meep
    • USA
    • Rian.Brelsford@gmail.com
    • Skype - Mag
I do liked the concept of this game, and the gameplay was spot on I had to say.
I did see some gameplay videos, pretty fun and scary.
any opinions?
Current Project: Ryuko2nd by OGGY, remade as 3rd.
Status: WIP, Cleaning Palettes, redefine moveslist, making some gameplay changes, and staying inactive a long time.
Re: Five Nights at Freddy's
#2  August 22, 2014, 12:17:37 am
  • Behold my unerring mediocrity
Hooo boy.  There's plenty to have opinions about, my friend.

Five Nights at Freddy's is, in my opinion, a kind of spectacularly crafted game that doesn't suffer from a lot of the one-man show indie game tropes.  It's not trying to push a deep meaning down your throat, it's graphics aren't made of upscaled pixels, the artwork is actually decent and although people may criticize the jump scares for...  Well, existing, they are rare outside of being a condition of failure.  Another thing I like about these jump scares is that, like a lot of the game at large, they leave a lot to your imagination.

In a way, it's a lot like a type of game you'd find in the 90s.  Thin on detailed story with a lot to be found in the environment and what you actually are given.  You're not told why you signed up for this job, you're not in it to solve some huge conspiracy, your character is...  You.  The security guard who sits in his chair all night and pokes a few buttons is undeniably you, and you can be completely unnerved about the situation as the phone guard seems to expect you to be, or you can take failure with total submission.  The only thing you can't do that might be an immersion breaker is leave your room during work hours, but that is probably for the better as chances are the entire idea would be just turned into a ripoff of other survival horror genres.  The way it's structured so far works wonderfully.

And there's a lot to be had from the lore.  The phone guard clues you in on events, and even though you can't walk around yourself, looking around at the cameras works for exploration since that ends up telling it's own story aside from keeping tabs on the rogue animatronics.  For instance, there are posters scattered around with text to read concerning rules and regulations, newspaper articles which detail events that had happened in Freddy's as a restaurant, and you'll even notice that there are parts for only 3 out of the 4 animatronics you'll encounter in the game, with one being notably missing from any of the advertisements you can see in-game.  I'll leave the speculation up to you guys, though, there's loads of theories ranging from rogue AIs, to "they're probably not actually animatronics at all", to supernatural possession.

With that said, the downfall of the game is that the gameplay is what it is.  It's a resource management game, and you have to keep on your toes about your power usage and learn patterns to keep yourself from being possibly suffering a gruesome death by way of being jammed into a collection animatronic body parts.  It never really gets too much deeper solely as a game than night 3, and by 5 it's mostly just testing your management skills.

By the way, were you ready for Freddy?
#3  September 12, 2014, 07:44:50 pm
  • Keeping mugen stupid
    • USA
    • fivehundrederrors@hotmail.com
Lol there's gonna be a sequel

#4  September 12, 2014, 09:33:08 pm
  • For honor!
While the characters are cute I kinda got bored watching footage of it because 1) Every single video out there is some idiot with footage of himself in the corner is hamming up his reactions like an obnoxious spaz and 2) It's basically Night Trap without the amusing cheesy story.

Also I think the whole "Dying because they stuff you in a fursuit" would've been better if it was written as "They shut you down (kill you) and stuff your body in a fursuit"
Iroha stripped for me
#5  September 13, 2014, 03:43:31 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Five Nights at Freddy's isn't a very scary game to watch, at all, but when you're playing it yourself it's actually a really competent horror title.  It hits all the right benchmarks for really good horror game design: quiet tension, vague dangers that leave the very worst of it up to the player's imagination, and above all creating a feeling of feeling of utter and total disempowerment.  I wish the internet hadn't turned the game into such a stupid fucking meme because it deserves to be taken more seriously than it is, I think.

Although I have no idea how he plans to make a sequel to it.  It'll have to be a completely different game than the original, because he did literally everything he possibly could with the gameplay in the first.
#6  September 13, 2014, 03:49:36 am
  • チョンリサ
    • Canada
Yeah and even though there are jump scares, they are more of a punishment for misplay than a key element as a part of the horror.
you can't mixup a blind man, and you can't out think a brick ~skisonic
Street fighting is all about analysis, prediction, and reaction. That's it.

#7  September 13, 2014, 07:45:15 am
  • Keeping mugen stupid
    • USA
    • fivehundrederrors@hotmail.com
#8  October 23, 2014, 01:51:28 pm
    • USA
FNAF 2 Trailer

Interesting.  Looks like it's set in a cleaner, more modernized version of the pizzeria, but all the old, busted bots are still lurking around.  It seems to have the same basic gameplay, but now without the ability to lock the animatronics out. 
#9  October 23, 2014, 07:06:36 pm
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
and I guess you hide by shoving a mask on your head now?
#10  October 23, 2014, 07:26:38 pm
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
In the first game the guy on the phone gives an idea to put on a suit but they might stuff an animatronic in you. I guess if you put on the top part, it'll work. But no doors man....and the fact that they somehow get the other newer bots working against you....Screw it....
#11  October 23, 2014, 07:59:14 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
wow lol, people are posting live reaction videos to this because no better way to hype yourself up to people fake screaming at a game than to watch them fake scream at a trailer
#12  October 23, 2014, 08:05:39 pm
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
But yeah, it is funny when people do that.
#13  October 23, 2014, 08:29:02 pm
  • (´ー`)ノ
Well that sort of thing is part of the reason it got big, makes sense tbh.
#14  October 23, 2014, 08:44:48 pm
The game looks cool and all, but those toys are not scary at all. I'm sorry, but i never watched anything in my childhood that would make me scared of toys.
Clowns are scary, does it have them in there? i think i saw a screenshot of an clown, but I'm not sure.
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#15  October 23, 2014, 09:18:38 pm
  • TEHUH NAYUME EZ HUWK KOO MAWUN
    • Canada
Eh, looking at the broken old ones. They're twice a persons size, with sharp teeth, they're plenty dangerous atleast.

Harmony is harmony is harmony is not with us, harmony is not with us. Living hell is coming.

3DS FC: 0232 - 8852 - 3659
#16  October 23, 2014, 09:46:53 pm
  • Does this look like the face of mercy?
i'm sure most of you people into this game might have already seen this but if you haven't then have "fun":

#17  October 23, 2014, 10:17:12 pm
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
I remember watching this, it has some pretty solid theory in it too. That and I have a sub to him too.
Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 10:21:52 pm by R565
#18  October 23, 2014, 10:27:27 pm
  • (´ー`)ノ
shame i didn't know about this story until that video :/
#19  October 23, 2014, 11:21:44 pm
    • USA
Eh, looking at the broken old ones. They're twice a persons size, with sharp teeth, they're plenty dangerous atleast.

They're also possessed by the vengeful spirits of murdered children whose mangled corpses were stuffed inside of them and left to rot for years.  So there's that.
#20  October 24, 2014, 12:28:50 am
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
i'm sure most of you people into this game might have already seen this but if you haven't then have "fun":
Did I ever go on record saying how much I fucking hate this guy's voice? No? Okay, I really fucking hate his voice and his "theories."