YesNoOk

Brainstorming: Spriting Ms Walters/She Hulk (Read 11287 times)

Started by Rolento, February 21, 2011, 07:57:15 pm
Brainstorming: Spriting Ms Walters/She Hulk
#1  February 21, 2011, 07:57:15 pm
  • Figuring things out, one sprite at a time.
    • irwt.iammanyninjas.com
Currently having some fun trying to work out the process for making a set of sprites for this green lady; I worked out a scratch sprite based on some captures from MvC3 and height and width comparisons with returning characters like Hulk and Wolverine to get this initial sprite which I color separated to capture a few of the alternate looks from the game:

24 colors total.

Sample of palettes. Before anyone mentions it, I noticed that I goofed on the Red She Hulk palette afterwards and made the center part black in that one.

It captures the general spirit, but this faux-CvS style I ended up developing at some point does stand out a bit compared to the rest. Also, Steamboy just set up his own take on the character, which does honestly fit in much better. Here's the two side by side for comparison's sake.

Trying to work out a blend of the two currently before the set gets too much further; not adopting Steamboy's take outright as the current shading model does not lend itself to the color separation needed for things like the FF suit, but it certainly has qualities worth carrying over.

GOH

Re: Brainstorming: Spriting Ms Walters/She Hulk
#2  February 21, 2011, 08:04:45 pm
  • Pure radge
    • Portugal
Not sure if I should post this here, but as much as I like Steamboy's take on the sprite, IMO I think it has too much muscle mass on the legs. They're skinnier compared to the rest of the body in terms of proportion in the original model for MVC3.
#3  February 21, 2011, 09:27:53 pm
  • hmmmm
Not sure if I should post this here, but as much as I like Steamboy's take on the sprite, IMO I think it has too much muscle mass on the legs. They're skinnier compared to the rest of the body in terms of proportion in the original model for MVC3.

i agree with him about  ur version being kinda skinnier than steamboys but still very nice sprite good work
#4  February 21, 2011, 09:49:49 pm
  • Bringing her back
    • USA
    • hiivolt-07.deviantart.com/
Cool idea, she does seem as if she won't be too difficult to sprite a sheet of.

I just remembered I owe you something.
Spriting is hard.
#5  February 21, 2011, 10:05:39 pm
    • irwt.iammanyninjas.com
Goh and Newboyflow: I figure the added mass on the leg has quite a bit to do with the exaggerated nature of most CPS2 era sprites. They always tend to be bulkier in nature if you take a good look at the females present within the assorted games.

Diepod: Probably not too hard once a final look is figured out. Color separation adds a tad bit of inconvenience, but as long as it doesn't get too crazy it should be fine. As for the other thing, I'll be happy to put it up once you're done with it.
#6  February 21, 2011, 10:14:14 pm
  • hmmmm
Goh and Newboyflow: I figure the added mass on the leg has quite a bit to do with the exaggerated nature of most CPS2 era sprites. They always tend to be bulkier in nature if you take a good look at the females present within the assorted games.

oh im starting to see what your talking about
#7  February 22, 2011, 07:11:37 am
  • Bringing her back
    • USA
Played as her today... MAKE THIS CHARACTER!!!  >:(
Spriting is hard.

MDD

#8  February 22, 2011, 07:16:34 am
  • OG Pallette Goon
  • Only here for one night let me put it on ya face
For the sake of her awesome theme and her Lvl. 3 hyper combo, i'm going to agree with Diepod.
#9  February 22, 2011, 09:19:27 am
I like your take, Rolento, it definitely has a cvs feel to it. For mine, u are right and I made her legs thicker to have her fit more with the rest of the cps2 characters, but now that I see it mirrored in your comparison, I noticed that her neck doesn't line up with her head, I better fix that.
#10  February 22, 2011, 09:21:48 am
  • 2D Forever. Maybe.
    • www.twitch.tv/brendle
She Hulk is pretty much my main character in MVC3  :sugoi:
An anthropomorphic existential nightmare.
#11  February 22, 2011, 09:22:16 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
I actually like Steamboys one, but i'm a sucker for the CPS sprites, i like the style.

Yours would be better if it was sorta, bigger. She hulk wasn't really that short was she?

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.

DMK

#12  February 22, 2011, 09:40:48 am
  • 141⅔% chance of winning
    • USA
    • www.twitch.tv/ThisbeDMK
Both look good and honestly I'd love either style. I think yours fits better in my eyes for the MvC3 style, what with the thinner legs.
#13  February 22, 2011, 09:53:35 am
She hulk is a few inches shorter than the hulk
use this as a reference
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
You don't need her whole body to figure out there proportions.

GOH

#14  February 22, 2011, 10:53:26 am
  • Pure radge
    • Portugal
"You guys" gotta learn to upload pictures to a image hosting website, otherwise they won't show up, due to hotlinking.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#15  February 22, 2011, 01:57:51 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Rolento, attempt to increase her arm size and hand size, seeing her side by side with the other she hulk makes me wonder if that wouldnt make her look more( less ) balanced.
#16  February 22, 2011, 03:13:21 pm
    • irwt.iammanyninjas.com
She-Hulk was originally scaled by comparing her to Hulk and Wolverine in their idle stances in MvC3 and then those two in their CPS2 counterparts. The female characters were generally more slender in MvC3 compared to the male fighters. Perhaps that might have something to do with it.

Diepod and Mala: This topic is for working out the kinks in the general look so I don't have to revise it later when the animating starts.

Iced: You are probably right about the arms and hands.  Wouldn't be surprised if I end up doing some leg alterations too, although not to the same extent as normal CPS2 sprites. Probably simplify some of the shading while I am at it.

Steamboy: Setting the head 1 pixel up and a few back seem to fix the neck up nicely enough. On an unrelated note, you have reminded me that I still have yet to get around to a study of CPS2 or CPS3 sprites on my own site: I still don't have a handle on just how the original Capcom artists decided on the shading for darker tones; CvS sprite work comes off as a bit more logical in comparison, at least from my own standpoint.
#17  February 22, 2011, 04:03:46 pm
  • Mach Punch Zoning Arm
    • USA
    • Skype - Zero-Sennin
    • tinyurl.com/zstrinmu
Personally I think that Steamboy has the right idea with the hair as well. Not that you need to model it exactly the same, but giving it a little wildness or looseness would be nice. I also agree w/ toning up the muscles a bit.

Still looks good though. Very exciting.
Youtube 
Twitter
Ask.fm
Zero-Sennin's Workshop
[22:18] <Ebil_Homer> because you messed up?
[22:18] <Ebil_Homer> well that's a fucking shame
[22:18] <Ebil_Homer> pick up your sucks

I don't provide old versions of my characters once they're updated. Please don't ask me for them.
#18  February 22, 2011, 04:43:57 pm
  • Bringing her back
    • USA
So... you are gonna make her?
Spriting is hard.
#19  February 22, 2011, 05:11:56 pm
    • irwt.iammanyninjas.com
Diepod: That's the plan.
Zero: I probably was going to steal the hair by the end of this. Hah. Haven't made that revision yet as I'm actually changing the look on my website right this second.
#20  February 22, 2011, 05:29:02 pm
@Rolento

I just visited your site, I didn't realize you were the one who made that awesome analysis of the KOFXII sprite style. Very in depth, and it helped me a lot when I was trying to do the KOFXII style. A very great resource to have! :D

Regarding the CPS2 and CPS3 style, it's really deceiving when trying to get the right colors to match with the Capcom sprites, often when I eyeball it, it becomes more dull than the colors they used. When I did She Hulk and I eyedropped Hulk's skintone i was like, "Really? it's that saturated?" Another thing I find is that Capcom sprites their characters while compensating for aspect ratio deforming. Back when games used to be on old TVs, the pixels were rectangular and vertical, so all their sprites are made to be a little wider so that when they get squished, they don't look super skinny. As a result, when they are displayed in square pixels, they look a little wider than they should. I'm not sure if this is 100% accurate, but it's something I noticed when making the SF4 CPS3 sprites.