Started by SADF, September 25, 2007, 02:51:23 am
Share this topic:
Hi Res stuff?
#1  September 25, 2007, 02:51:23 am
  • Za Warudo!
What's the deal with it?
Re: Hi Res stuff?
#2  September 25, 2007, 02:56:33 am
  • Three times thicker font than a normal user.
It's prettier looking.

That's about it. Personally, if all it is is just "prettier looking", chances are I won't bother with it. That's one of the reasons I never got Hi-Res Mugen.
Imagine a zanguief runing to attack ryu, ryu does a quick+kind of weak fast punch and hit the chest of zanguief, will this punch be enough to zanguief say/think \"oh no, this punch hurted a little, I better stop the attack and put my hand on my chest to help contain the pain while ignoring if ryu is going to make other attacks now"

Cenobite 53 said:
If someone isn't able to get girls laid, why buying this exorcist needing piece of retardet piece of bullshit an not wisiting his local red light district. For that money he could  :hump: tons of hookers.
#3  September 25, 2007, 02:59:49 am
  • uhhh, what happened to my avatar??

sig by TempesT
#4  September 25, 2007, 03:00:46 am
  • Za Warudo!
#5  September 25, 2007, 03:03:03 am
  • uhhh, what happened to my avatar??
sadly...i dunno. Depends, if you don't have a screenpack, you can download from sites easily. If you DO have a screenpack...i dunno

EDIT:wizijah-manof-panzerma--whatever! the dude with the long username was right. It's prettier looking

sig by TempesT
Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 03:11:23 am by ran677
#6  September 25, 2007, 03:03:49 am
It's prettier looking.

That's about it. Personally, if all it is is just "prettier looking", chances are I won't bother with it. That's one of the reasons I never got Hi-Res Mugen.

it's nor prettier looking, it's just way clearer to see the stuff better

Right, prettier looking.

In any case,  SADF, Random Select has a link to Hi-Res Mugen. Be warned, however, that HRMugen cannot correctly display normal Mugen stages.
Imagine a zanguief runing to attack ryu, ryu does a quick+kind of weak fast punch and hit the chest of zanguief, will this punch be enough to zanguief say/think \"oh no, this punch hurted a little, I better stop the attack and put my hand on my chest to help contain the pain while ignoring if ryu is going to make other attacks now"

Cenobite 53 said:
If someone isn't able to get girls laid, why buying this exorcist needing piece of retardet piece of bullshit an not wisiting his local red light district. For that money he could  :hump: tons of hookers.
#7  September 25, 2007, 03:04:49 am
  • Za Warudo!
It's prettier looking.

it's nor prettier looking, it's just way clearer to see the stuff better

Right, prettier looking.

In any case,  SADF, Random Select has a link to Hi-Res Mugen. Be warned, however, that HRMugen cannot correctly display normal Mugen stages.

... K

My stages suck anyway

EDIT: I need it for Hi-Res characters too, right?
#8  September 25, 2007, 03:07:27 am
And I should mention that there are stages specifically made for Hi-Res Mugen. They are generally labeled with [Hi-Res], or something like that.

Cenobite 53 said:
#9  September 25, 2007, 03:21:05 am
    • www-personal.umich.edu/~tdkim/ziltama/
It's prettier looking.

Ok, that response made NO sense what-so-ever.  Of course, people are going to choose the graphically superior option.  Don't be silly.

Hi-res just means 640x480, which may not seem truly hi-res by today's standards.

Regular winmugen does allow characters and lifebars (in doubleres = 4) to be in hi-res, but the stages have to be 320x240.

There's a hack of winmugen that allows 640x480 resolution for stages (and also the select screen).  So, the entire fight can now be in hi-res.

With 4 times the square area to improve graphics, of course, higher res graphics look better.  In many cases, the difference is just stunning.  Just about everybody would pick higher res over lower res.  That's just common sense.

The problem with winmugen is that the higher-res hack doesn't scale old low-res stages.  There's no special tag in hi-res stages that set them apart.  So, one would have to abandon all the old stages to use hi-res mugen.  This is why some people don't use hi-res mugen.  Some people also don't feel like using hacks.  Considering elecbyte isn't around (despite the lame fake homepage returning) anymore to properly update mugen, then this is the best we have left to keep mugen "up to date" with the more recent higher resolution fighting games.  Of course, with Capcom releasing 1080p games in the near future, 640x480 will seem terribly outdated.

Initially (well, duh, if you think about it), there weren't many hi-res stages to take advantage of the hack.  Now, as time goes on, there are plenty of stages to take advantage of the hi-res hack (including truly low-res stages that are scaled higher).

Most people use 2 different setups.  One for low-res stages and one for hi-res stages.

I find myself barely playing the low-res setup anymore.

Eventually, another hack will come along, or a project like infinitycat/shugendo will allow further changes to resolution and scaling of old stages (not to mention lifting annoying limitations inherent of mugen).

In real games, the progression went from low-res characters & low-res stages -> low-res characters & hi-res stages -> hi-res characters & hi-res stages.  The low-res characters on hi-res stages concept seems to be better tolerated than hi-res characters on low-res stages (which is the "progression" that mugen seemed to go after).
Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 03:27:36 am by ziltama
#10  September 25, 2007, 03:26:33 am
It's prettier looking.

Ok, that response made NO sense what-so-ever.  Of course, people are going to choose the graphically superior option.  Don't be silly.

I was talking about myself, not anyone else. (unless that comment was sarcasm)

Sure, I'd get HR Mugen, provided I didn't have to worry about additional crashes, and support for normal Mugen stages, and didn't slow down my computer.

Cenobite 53 said:

DMK

#11  September 25, 2007, 03:34:17 am
  • 141⅔% chance of winning
    • USA
    • www.twitch.tv/ThisbeDMK
Also the problem for some of it taking up more memory and running slower.

I never had the problem when I first uploaded mine but users with pretty normal computers may experince slowing troubles and etc.

As well as having 700 + characters but that in truth goes for both I could easily assume.
#12  September 25, 2007, 03:37:12 am
Well, I have around 65 characters and 53 stages in my mugen anyway. But my laptop is merely decent, so HR Mugen would most likely slow it down.

Cenobite 53 said:
#13  September 25, 2007, 03:38:11 am

Sure, I'd get HR Mugen, provided I didn't have to worry about additional crashes, and support for normal Mugen stages, and didn't slow down my computer.

Additional crashes?  What made you think there are additional crashes?  It crashes the same as regular winmugen...which is a lot.  Mugen is just inherently buggy.

Slows down your computer?  Mine is considered "ancient" (4 year-old p4 2.8ghz single core).  99% of the stages don't slow down for me.  The only ones that do have a lot of transparencies involved.  Complex low-res stages can slow down mugen as well.

The number of characters in the rosters makes no difference in playing speed.

As far as normal mugen stage support goes, yes, it doesn't do them unless you scale the original.

If you want to stick with older stages, that's perfectly fine, but don't make up weird comments.  Actually trying it out wouldn't hurt either.
#14  September 25, 2007, 03:49:00 am

Additional crashes?  What made you think there are additional crashes?  It crashes the same as regular winmugen...which is a lot.  Mugen is just inherently buggy.

Okay. Also, my Mugen rarely crashes on its own.

Slows down your computer?  Mine is considered "ancient" (4 year-old p4 2.8ghz single core).  99% of the stages don't slow down for me.  The only ones that do have a lot of transparencies involved.  Complex low-res stages can slow down mugen as well.

I also record matches. So I will stick with normal Mugen anyways. No, I won't get a separate Mugen. I have my main one, and my "test characters out" Mugen with 2 characters and 4 stages. I also have a low HD capacity.

The number of characters in the rosters makes no difference in playing speed.

But it effects loading, something else I don't want too much of.

As far as normal mugen stage support goes, yes, it doesn't do them unless you scale the original.

I R wetard wit teh stage skale!

Also, I go through a good deal of stages fairly quickly at times. I don't want to have to constantly re-make stages every time I get another one.

And I don't know if HR stages work on Stage Viewer.

If you want to stick with older stages, that's perfectly fine, but don't make up weird comments.  Actually trying it out wouldn't hurt either.

I beat up all the kids in the yard
and they're like,
"Don't beat me up sir!"
Yeah, right...
"DON'T BEAT ME UP, SIR!"
But I'll beat them,
and I'll even charge.

Anyways, I applaud your efforts to convince me to get HR Mugen, but I shall kindly pass on your offer.
[/b][/color]

Cenobite 53 said:
#15  September 25, 2007, 03:54:21 am
  • You know it!
    • viewtiful9.blog124.fc2.com/
WOO! WOO! WOO!
PSN / XBLA - ViewtifulSuxx
#16  September 25, 2007, 03:57:14 am
I didn't say you had to rescale any low-res stage you get.  I agreed with that part.

Load time?  I don't even notice that.  Again, that's independent of what setup you have.

It's just that your responses appear silly (and actually moot), especially without trying out hi-res mugen.  Also, it appears that your pc setup is even worse than mine.  Lastly, the "In The Navy" Blue thing is rather annoying and rather aol-ish.
#17  September 25, 2007, 04:05:20 am
In any case, even if I did try it out, I'm not keeping it. I'm not making a third mugen just for the stages. Even I know word of mouth may not be reliable at times, but it's a risk I'd rather not take at the moment.

And it's a post style; one I've had for 2-3 years.

Cenobite 53 said:
#18  September 25, 2007, 04:13:13 am
  • If only I had my rainbow star back -_-
    • www.myspace.com/honest_luke
I have no problems with my load times (about 15 secs to boot). For the "just prettier part, i kinda disagree with that. Making images and the screenpack makes mugen look more of a game and more professional IMO. Like, my mugen has almost gotten so clear, it can almost pass as a released game, excluding the rare crashes. and also, Hi-res crashes just as much as regular mugen, probably even less than regular, for mine at least. I've been working strictly on hi-res, but secretly lolz. It will become mugen's future! MUAHAHAHAHA! *jacks controller into snes*
It's true that if you own a PS3 then all arguments made by those who don't have one are invalid.
#19  September 25, 2007, 04:21:27 am
I consider clearer pictures as "prettier". I mean, they certainly aren't "uglier", are they?

Cenobite 53 said:

DMK

#20  September 25, 2007, 04:38:25 am
  • 141⅔% chance of winning
    • USA
    • www.twitch.tv/ThisbeDMK
#21  September 25, 2007, 05:42:32 am
  • Mugen-Wiki Founder
    • pkeffect.com/
Thought I may as well spam this link.

Seems people have multiple feelings both ways. I personally run many 'mugens' for testing purposes and otherwise. The hi-res has me hooked when it comes to recreational play. Since there really isn't that much content for this version I dedicated a section of the wiki to it.

I could use some help with it based on user experience etc.

Hi-Res

Your one stop M.U.G.E.N. spot.