YesNoOk

So Joel (from Vinesauce) decided to play mugen(again(again)). (Read 37875 times)

Started by SupremeShark, April 03, 2015, 10:44:36 pm
Share this topic:
Re: So Joel (from Vinesauce) decided to play mugen.
#21  April 04, 2015, 05:31:28 am
  • I am hilarious
  • and you will quote everything I say
    • USA
Stream site. Joel's one of the streamers there.

I've been frequenting there since 2013 actually.

I'm a little disappointed that the person who sent him this included so many low-quality stages and characters, but i'm still glad that mugen is getting a little bit of publicity i guess. Plus its Joel man.

I know the person who gave him the stuff, he set it up so it would be a fun stream, not necessarily for quality. If you watch Joel's stuff, you'll know that he plays a lot of the bizarre and terrible.

He also made some rom corruptors as wrll, but that's a different story (albiet one I won't get onto, cause haven't watched his stuff that much).

That was people on the forums that made those.
#22  April 04, 2015, 05:34:39 am
  • Build it, shape it, by my will.
#23  April 04, 2015, 05:37:58 am
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
To be honest it would have been a boring stream if it was just "good" characters and stages, that's not what Joel is known for. 
#24  April 04, 2015, 05:58:19 am
  • Non est hoc propter hoc sed propter est hoc
    • USA
    • doubletrend-zeta.neocities.org/
More people are embarrassed of their RPG maker days than people are with their MUGEN days, I'll tell you that much.
Judging from the amount of RPG maker games on Steam I'm not sure about that anymore...
#25  April 04, 2015, 06:26:10 am
  • oh yeah mr krabs
    • USA
Stream site. Joel's one of the streamers there.

I've been frequenting there since 2013 actually.

I'm a little disappointed that the person who sent him this included so many low-quality stages and characters, but i'm still glad that mugen is getting a little bit of publicity i guess. Plus its Joel man.

I know the person who gave him the stuff, he set it up so it would be a fun stream, not necessarily for quality. If you watch Joel's stuff, you'll know that he plays a lot of the bizarre and terrible.

i was just a little bit afraid that this would have a negative impact on how mugen would be viewed by other people including Joel.
#26  April 04, 2015, 06:28:54 am
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
Mugen's negative reputation is never going away because it's earned it.  It's better to just accept that Mugen is retarded and enjoy it for what it is.  Nobody is going to download Mugen because they want a balanced well made gameplay experience because it can't do that.  The fact that it's a dumb mashy orgy of chaotic stupid characters doing bizarre silliness is exactly its appeal to most people. 
#27  April 04, 2015, 09:19:58 am
i was just a little bit afraid that this would have a negative impact on how mugen would be viewed by other people including Joel.

On the contrary, things like this is good for Mugen; publicity that shows it as mindless fun is a good thing. Mugen is seen negatively because of a lack of publicity that shows it can be taken seriously. This is due to the engine being near incapable of showing a collective product of quality; that falls on the shoulders of Elecbyte.

If the engine was more flexible, developers would be able to do more with it and this would be less of a problem. As it stands, Elecbyte should feel grateful that people can find any kind of intrinsic value out of it, let alone believe that something of substance can be made with it.
Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 09:23:22 am by Niitris
#28  April 04, 2015, 10:02:21 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
Mugen has been a beta for over 15 years. I don't think the devs care whether we can make real games with it or not. What they do seem to care about based on what has been done so far is seeing WHAT people can do with it. They pimped Babel Sword by Tatsu when they came back into the community.

The people who do stuff in this engine have pushed it in directions it was never expected to go and done things elecbyte never really thought of in the first place. For a free engine with a 10 year hiatus on any sort of development it's doing remarkably well and holds up surprisingly next to other environments for "easy" creation. Obviously you can do a shitload more with a true coding language. But for the plug and play we've been given we've done far more than just basic 2D fighting games and i think that's something that should be appreciated.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#29  April 04, 2015, 03:49:27 pm
  • What is life without tacos?
    • USA
    • catanesetyler@gmail.com
Mugen's negative reputation is never going away because it's earned it.  It's better to just accept that Mugen is retarded and enjoy it for what it is.  Nobody is going to download Mugen because they want a balanced well made gameplay experience because it can't do that.  The fact that it's a dumb mashy orgy of chaotic stupid characters doing bizarre silliness is exactly its appeal to most people. 

Actually it depends on which character they download, like cyanide said people done things elecbyte would never even think about, you're basically talking about certain taste people have in characters, if they like broken characters then that's them, but there are a lot of good creators out there, you're just basing your opinion and try to make it a fact which that's not even the case, not even close.
#30  April 04, 2015, 04:32:49 pm
But for the plug and play we've been given we've done far more than just basic 2D fighting games and i think that's something that should be appreciated.

Good point, certainly a more optimistic way of looking at things.

It'd be nice if the engine became more versatile and allowed creators to expand on their capabilities (by developers I meant Mugen creators, I like to believe that such can be classified as "amateur game developers"). If it never happens, it doesn't objectively turn Mugen into a massive time waste that no one should bother with. It's just that there will always be more ideal choices for making content, as well as better choices for a structured gaming setting.

That said, I've kinda already resigned to the notion that Mugen will never be 'taken seriously' to the general gaming public (for already stated reasons) and you know what, that's fine. As long as there's a collective group of people who find it fun and worth spending time on, that should be reason enough to be involved. Though what I find fun about it is different from most here, it's the only reason I need to continue on with Mugen. Silly, quirky fun isn't a satisfactory reason for some people, who cares; they're the ones missing out. Besides, the notion that a basic game engine made over 15 yrs ago is still decently relevant in 2015 (thanks to it being extremely accessible) is something to be proud of in it's own right.
#31  April 25, 2015, 08:05:00 pm
that's ridiculous, most people don't know fighting game intricacies that much to be able to tell the difference

Billy and Jimmy from Double Dragon have a transformation super that changes their costume.  That game came out in 1995.  It's 2015 and Mugen can't do that move.  Seth from KOF has a move that reverses the opponent's controls, he debuted in 2000.  Mugen can't do that either.  I'm not even talking subtle intricacies, I'm talking entire pieces of a character's moveset.

MSH boss Thanos (also from 1995) also had the ability to reverse the opponent's control (Mind Gem). However, such moves (like KOF Seth and MSH Thanos have) would appear useless to the CPU player.
Kaiser Knuckle's General vs MvC Onslaught:
The ultimate war has begun.
#32  April 30, 2015, 05:06:52 am
  • Been toying with MUGEN since 2014
    • USA
I'm surprised RoySquadRock's versions of Chester and Cool Spot were on there.

Also Sakuya...

AND DWANE!!!

P.S. Don't say MUGEN has a bed rep. It demotivates me. :(
If there are any problems, let me know. I will try to fix them as soon as possible.
#33  May 07, 2015, 07:42:34 pm
  • I am hilarious
  • and you will quote everything I say
    • USA
Duane sucks.
#34  May 09, 2015, 04:33:52 am
  • Xenoblade Chronicles Shithead Worshipper
  • Shoobies Go Home
    • USA
    • ccraik98@gmail.com
    • Skype - rebelluigi
skeletor
.....................,,-'´ . . . _,,,,,';:-,...................
....................,-(c\ \`;-=´,_,-~-, \`...............
..................,/ . . .¯'\, º ,/.'-~°,' .¯`'-,.............
................../ . . . . . .¯,_ ~--~',, . . .'\..........
.................| . . . . . . . . ¯¨¨¨(̅_̅_̅_̅((_̅_̲̅м̲̅a̲̅я̲̅i̲̅j̲̅u̲̅a̲̅n̲̅a̲̅̅_̅_̅_̅() ڪے
.................| . . . . . . . , . . . .`'-, . . . |..........
................/\ . . . . . . ."-,,,-'~-~' . . . '|..........
.............,/'`\,`'-, . . . . . . . . . . . . . . /\..........
░█▀▄░█░█░█▀█░░█▀▀░▀█▀░█▀▀░█▀█░
░█░█░█░█░█▀▀█░▀▀█░░█░░█▀▀░█▀▀░
░▀▀░░
#35  June 02, 2015, 03:10:53 pm
  • Been toying with MUGEN since 2014
    • USA
I checked Joel's Twitch page, and he did another M.U.G.E.N. stream! This time, with a larger character roster.
If there are any problems, let me know. I will try to fix them as soon as possible.
#36  June 12, 2015, 03:00:54 pm
  • M.U.G.E.N Stage/Character Reviews
  • Dakara Ore Ga Sabaku
    • Germany
    • nindentofreak67@jabme.de
    • www.youtube.com/channel/UCLYoSjNthAaVO9O3lgT7pOg
This guy is amazing :D
#37  June 12, 2015, 03:01:21 pm
  • M.U.G.E.N Stage/Character Reviews
  • Dakara Ore Ga Sabaku
    • Germany
    • nindentofreak67@jabme.de
    • www.youtube.com/channel/UCLYoSjNthAaVO9O3lgT7pOg
I'm surprised RoySquadRock's versions of Chester and Cool Spot were on there.

Also Sakuya...

AND DWANE!!!

P.S. Don't say MUGEN has a bed rep. It demotivates me. :(

No it's Duane m8
#38  June 12, 2015, 03:11:52 pm
  • Eyyyy
    • UK
chuchoryu characters aside, I laughed along with him at Ragna the Bloodedge's tryhard-as-fuck name and seeing Hulk Hogan in action was hilarious. So at least Joel had fun.
There was a sig here. Its gone now (thanks photobucket ya fecks)
#39  June 13, 2015, 04:58:11 pm
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
Wait, Ragna was in there?

Please tell me it was Daimonmau's.
#40  June 13, 2015, 07:07:31 pm
  • it's me
  • Bat's a Wrap.
    • Chile
    • koakoa@jabber.org
    • Skype - koakumadevil69
God, the deviantART clashes thing he made made me laugh.
Yeaaaah im shootign ducks wiht the paino