YesNoOk

The "honor code" of the mugen scene . Nobody cares anymore? (Read 43519 times)

Started by OMEGAPSYCHO, January 10, 2016, 05:34:32 pm
Share this topic:
The "honor code" of the mugen scene . Nobody cares anymore?
#1  January 10, 2016, 05:34:32 pm
  • Haz lo que te gusta para que te guste lo que haces
    • Mexico
    • www.omegapsycho.webs.com
You see guys, I was looking for some videos about mugen fights in Youtube and I found this:

A nasty p***e of s**t stolen Shao Kahn, MY SHAO KAHN VERSION FOR WINMUGEN!. (Yes, It was released to the public)

I have been present at the Mugen scene for 15 years and I remember that this kind of things were much less tolerated.
I'm not trying to persecute anyone, I understand that sometimes it is inevitable but I have a question for you all:
The Mugen scene has become so small that currently nobody cares anymore?. I remember the amount of downloads of my first characters it counts in thousands the first week of its release and now are only a few hundred. As I said earlier, I will be creating projects for Mugen until I only left myself, but I don't feel the same feedback as before; when a mugen project is releasded I receive some public congratulations (and that is appreciated) but the community no longer ask for more in the same way as before; I have released characters with annoying glitches and no one takes the time to report it except for some loyal fans, the people seems to prefer modify themselves, even I make a lot of updates for my projects but the people keep uploading videos of obsolete versions of my characters.

Perhaps in the near future we will see a "CVS2 Rugal by Warusaki modified by Ahuron"? or "Morrigan by P.O.T.S. remade by MASA, adapted to Winmugen by FutanaDeTal"? or "Evil Dragon Claw God version 2.0 Remix?

This breaks my heart.  :'(
Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 05:40:32 pm by OMEGAPSYCHO
Re: The "honor code" of the mugen scene . Nobody cares anymore?
#2  January 10, 2016, 06:13:47 pm
If it's online, people will download it and do whatever they want with it. That includes editing characters for themselves, showing old versions... what can you do about it?

Times change.

A nasty p***e of s**t stole Shao Kahn, MY SHAO KAHN VERSION FOR WINMUGEN! (Yes, it was released to the public)
Contradiction.

Perhaps in the near future we will see a "CVS2 Rugal by Warusaki modified by Ahuron"? Or "Morrigan by P.O.T.S. remade by MASA, adapted to Winmugen by FutanaDeTal"? or "Evil Dragon Claw God version 2.0 Remix?
I've answered you before... although those may never happen.

In any case, people know who the original creator is. If they're very interested in your work, they'll mind enough to give you some feedback.
Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 06:23:35 pm by Sin-

lui

#3  January 10, 2016, 06:18:13 pm
    • USA
wow dude, the salt is real. we're back in 2003 folks!

he edited your shao kahn, so? i personally love your work, but what are you going to do about people editing your shit? your original version is still available, why cry about it? you can't upload something to the public without expecting someone to fiddle with it. there is no "honor code" wtf, people just say that when they don't want their stuff edited, which is understandable, but still fucking stupid. if someone edits your stuff, you can't do anything about it, thats just how life works online, im not one to support stealing, but cmon now this is mugen, stop treating it like an actual job.

im tired of people making threads complaining about small shit like this.
Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 06:23:37 pm by walruslui
#4  January 10, 2016, 06:32:34 pm
this has nothing to do with mugen's current state or the community becoming smaller or people not caring, people have been editing other people's shit since day one
#5  January 10, 2016, 06:41:49 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
"Perhaps in the near future we will see a "CVS2 Rugal by Warusaki modified by Ahuron"? or "Morrigan by P.O.T.S. remade by MASA, adapted to Winmugen by FutanaDeTal"? or "Evil Dragon Claw God version 2.0 Remix?"

Improvements and different versions are a good thing in my book.
#6  January 10, 2016, 06:44:34 pm
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
I would love to see Warusaki's CvS2Rugal modified by Ahuron. He'd probably come up with some really cool stuff.

And it's not like anything else is being done with it.
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#7  January 10, 2016, 07:12:23 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
The community is smaller because fighters were even a niche in the 90s and early 2000s. Now sprite based fighters are even more of a niche. Heck, Mortal Kombat Trilogy was the last 2d MK game and it was released in 1996. That was 20 years ago! Most MK players now probably can't stand those old games due to their gameplay and graphics.

We grew up in that time so it seems odd that there isn't as much interest now. You're not going to find a lot of people nowthat want to get into an engine that is primarily used with lo res game sprites from before they were born!

Looking at that time gap it's amazing how many ppl are still here all together!
#8  January 10, 2016, 07:32:25 pm
  • The Barbarian
  • Most ****able 2013
    • USA
    • Skype - chronostrifeff7h@hotmail.com

he edited your shao kahn, so? i personally love your work, but what are you going to do about people editing your shit? your original version is still available, why cry about it? you can't upload something to the public without expecting someone to fiddle with it. there is no "honor code" wtf, people just say that when they don't want their stuff edited, which is understandable, but still fucking stupid. if someone edits your stuff, you can't do anything about it, thats just how life works online, im not one to support stealing, but cmon now this is mugen, stop treating it like an actual job.

So much wrong with this post it stings. I couldn't be that big of a dick if I tried.

Just because you say he shouldn't care what people do to his work doesn't make it right.
stop treating it like an actual job
He isn't, if you worked in the industry you'd see he's treating it like more of a hobby, in fact.

I could pull your whole thing apart into pieces and explain what wrong with your view on this and why he isn't wrong, despite his over reaction. But I'm not bored enough at the moment. :|
#9  January 10, 2016, 07:38:57 pm
    • Mexico
Look, I understand. Is not possible prevent this. That's not the point. Is not about "authorship" is about time, money and effort put it in a project.
I can remember that Shao Kahn took me 2 months of work, a lot of coffee and a pain in my back for being much time sitted.
Currently I am creating the entire roster from MK, and this kind of things really takes away from me the desire to do it. I feel like a ghost working for anyone. That's why I refuse to include in my own mugen roster stolen chars, because i know what are behind a project. That is the "honor code" what I reffer, and if you don't care about it, I suggest politely that you evaluate other aspects of your personal life because surely this belief is reflected and will not bring anything good for you my friend.
Again, not trying to persecute anyone, but how would you feel if you make a project for school and an idiot take your work, show it as own and have a good grade for it?, that's the point of all this.

And why I cry about it?, because maybe I'll can't continue doing this:

And as I said, "That breaks my heart", because programming in mugen is a lot of fun; this situation make it painful. That's why I take seriously.
We grew up in that time so it seems odd that there isn't as much interest now. You're not going to find a lot of people nowthat want to get into an engine that is primarily used with lo res game sprites from before they were born!

That's correct, Is not supposed to left only true fans?, Why are there are still people who don't understand that Mugen was the childhood dream of many like me and make it happen requires a lot of effort?. Again, for me, programming in mugen is a lot of fun; this situation make it painful. That's why I take seriously.
#10  January 10, 2016, 07:42:40 pm
  • Every night fucks every day up
  • Every day patches the night up
    • Puerto Rico
So... is it not receiving credit that bothers you?
#11  January 10, 2016, 07:44:14 pm
  • I changed it to match my WIP
    • USA
It's sad really. People are gonna change things and you can't really do a thing about it but observe what they do. Not everyone respects closed source.

It's understandable if you wanna stop with MUGEN because of this. I've heard of plenty of Authors who did that for the very same reason.
Spoiler: Works In Progress (click to see content)
#12  January 10, 2016, 08:14:36 pm
  • For honor!
I'm afraid this won't sound encouraging but if I didn't want to risk having my homework stolen I'd keep it to myself. People were never honorable about MUGEN even way back when "creator ethics" were enforced on MUGEN forums.

It's useless to expect your content to be honored. Sorry dude, you've only set yourself up to be disappointed.
Iroha stripped for me

lui

#13  January 10, 2016, 08:43:22 pm
    • USA
unless you don't upload anything to a public degree and only share private, there is NO guarantee that somebody won't edit it. it isn't stealing if its out in the open for anyone to look at, sheesh.

im not saying that someone just editing your work without permission is a good thing, its a dick move and shouldnt be how things work, but its just how the free internet is, so it WILL happen, you can't really police stuff like this when you have no control once it's out in the open.

look, alot of people already love your work, and if someone edits it people will still tell its yours since you're a fantastic coder. it's alright to feel a bit bothered by it but you can't expect everyone to go with the whole honrific code thing, it IS the internet after all. so if you're gonna quit and not continue something since one little youtuber or something edited it, then that's your own doing, you can't blame other people that edits your stuff because they never forced you to quit.
#14  January 10, 2016, 09:06:00 pm
  • Five Dynasties of Water
    • Mexico
    • Skype - alchemistofatlas
There's people who still care about creations, Omegapsycho.

Personally, I do because I played MK since I was a child, and it's nice to see that (that and you made one of my favorite bosses from Castlevania, Legion); it also helps you're offering a different content than most people release.

There's people who will edit a creator's work regardless if it is open source or not.

I personally watched the video and I fail to see what's the problem there. That Shao Kahn still plays in the SAME way as you coded it. Couldn't you consider that it was just a simple change with the palettes and the "evil" addition to his name was simply that? Because seeing the AI operate, that was Shao Kahn's regular way to play. Pay close attention to the video and you'll notice there's no actual change from the Shao Kahn you released years ago. I would have been a problem if they "released it" as if it were theirs, but it's not the case.

In spanish: Lo siento, Omegapsycho, pero te fuiste con la finta.

That "code of honor" you seek can only be found in the Japanese community, you won't find it in the western community, I'm afraid.

You're not helping with your attitude either.
PotS said:
That they don't just restrict themselves to my style.

Fact.
Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 09:10:06 pm by ティンカーベル
#15  January 10, 2016, 09:20:03 pm
    • USA
And it's not like anything else is being done with it.
I know this may not be an applicable answer, but seriously.. It's amazing that as many of you do dedicate as much time as you do. I mean people are still making sprites & doing commissions for this stuff in 2016. The way things are now "omg dem graphics" it's no surprise only those dedicated fans are still around. Mugen imo has always been "The freedom to change". If you aren't making OCs aren't we all doing what you speak of? Editing? You didn't create those MK characters? Or the concepts entirely?

I could pull your whole thing apart into pieces and explain what wrong with your view on this and why he isn't wrong, despite his over reaction. But I'm not bored enough at the moment. :|
Yes. Man Yes.

Look, I understand. Is not possible prevent this. That's not the point. Is not about "authorship" is about time, money and effort put it in a project.
I can remember that Shao Kahn took me 2 months of work, a lot of coffee and a pain in my back for being much time sitted.
Currently I am creating the entire roster from MK, and this kind of things really takes away from me the desire to do it. I feel like a ghost working for anyone. That's why I refuse to include in my own mugen roster stolen chars, because i know what are behind a project. That is the "honor code" what I reffer, and if you don't care about it, I suggest politely that you evaluate other aspects of your personal life because surely this belief is reflected and will not bring anything good for you my friend.
Again, not trying to persecute anyone, but how would you feel if you make a project for school and an idiot take your work, show it as own and have a good grade for it?, that's the point of all this.

And as I said, "That breaks my heart", because programming in mugen is a lot of fun; this situation make it painful. That's why I take seriously.

That's correct, Is not supposed to left only true fans?, Why are there are still people who don't understand that Mugen was the childhood dream of many like me and make it happen requires a lot of effort?. Again, for me, programming in mugen is a lot of fun; this situation make it painful. That's why I take seriously.
You know.. At times I would feel the same.. To go the private route because someone said something we don't agree with, or we feel as though no one appreciates what we do.. Only one losing is ourselves. Because many of us do this to allow others to bask in nostalgia & our love for it. I myself have always just wanted to gossip about these old games & talk about how great they were & still are. The thing for me that you said that stands out above all... "It's Fun" that's all it took for me to completely disregard anything else. More so than any form of recognition... Just knowing people still enjoy mugen is enough for me. I do things for myself first & others second. I enjoy what I do. I am my biggest fan. I can only disappoint myself. Now I understand this may not be the same for you, but... Why else would you be doing this? Upon reading everything you said though I can truly appreciate what you do & where you are coming from. There are actually those that can only do something if they are given praise for it. They don't enjoy making the characters they do, hell they probably don't even have fun doing it anymore. It becomes a chore and they truly do it because they want to be acknowledged for the one that did it.. Now that is shameless to me.. There will always be those that complain,  those that  actually love it, and there will always be those that just hit the download button. Idk why, but the state of things being people are less likely to express themselves openly, or rather don't share the same sentiment as we do. It sucks, but that is the reality. There are so many things I could get into & perhaps I missed the point on a few things, but at the end of the day.. Just as I had to learn.. This is a hobby and hobbies aren't hobbies if "we" aren't you know enjoying them.
#16  January 10, 2016, 09:50:11 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
This is a story from 1 fighting game fan to another. I'll try not to wall -o- text but I can't guarantee it =p

I'm 34 years old. I was a teen when SF2 and MK came out. In fact Mortal Kombat 1 was my 1st fighting game on SNES (we didn't have an arcade scene here). I was instantly hooked. From then on Fighting games became my absolute favorite games.

I found MUGEN in 2001 soon after MFG was started. Back before it even had a forum and was just a site to download characters. It had a shout box and that's how I communicated with people. I came in talking about wanting to make a Darkstalkers vs Street Fighter and of course a full game with my comic characters! I was told to be sure to not use anyone else's works etc etc.

Back then it took months to rip a whole character. Some emulators didn't even have ways to remove back grounds and you had to manually perform every frame of animation.

I spent forever ripping sprites. Finally me, Joram, and JJWE worked together in IIRC and learned how to use artmoney to rip sprites. By then the whole "don't use anything from others" thing was really going strong. One of the biggest problems I've had finishing stuff is that I want to help others finish stuff as well. I want the process of making characters to be as simple as possible. I don't WANT other people to have to start from scratch every time they wish to make their dream game.

I began ripping sprites in bulk with artmoney so that everyone, including myself, could have easy access to save time.

I feel by now we should have accurate bases that people can grab and start editing how they choose. I left MUGEN in 2006 for several years to make my webcomic. Mostly because of the hostility and politics of the vocal "don't steal" crowd.

I came back about 2 years ago. Tried to balance MUGEN and webcomic. Webcomic got my main focus. Due to time because of having a baby I decided MUGEN was the easier hobby to juggle and came back a few months ago in full force.

So now I'm coding a lot behind the scenes to prepare a great release and to learn. I can't teach people coding if I don't know it well enough myself!

I want you to know I still respect "creator's rights". I have never used anything without permission or wasn't open source. I don't agree with it but that doesn't mean I don't understand it.

But this is a hobby and a game. My views on this can be different than you or anyone else's. But my view is that this isn't similar to stealing homework. And then you have people that don't think of it as anything at all more than a way to make characters in games. For those this conversation doesn't even cross their mind. Like when I 1st started.

And this forum is also built on this idea more. We encourage new users to learn by editing. Once they become more engaged in the community they begin to learn about the "honor code" and as such can choose to respect it or ignore it. Most of the time they fall under the "giving credit to the person that helped them is good enough". Which we expect people that edit to do as well.

I'm not trying to change your mind or views. I just want you to see that people have different views on this.
I think helping others achieve their dream in this hobby is as important as my own work. People like us actually enjoy doing all this the long hard way. But you mention all the time it takes. Does it not feel nice to shave that time from someone else?

As a community we should work together I feel.
If you still get upset how others use your work to bring enjoyment that's okay too. I still understand the view. All I can do then is hope you can see that it's a silly reason to stop doing what you enjoy to do. But in the end if you can't let it go and it bothers you this much your only choice is to stop releasing your works. IMO that'd be the most tragic outcome. That ends new enjoyment for everyone. Unless you're one of those lucky people that can enjoy coding chars just for yourself in private in your isolation bubble. Or maybe you have a lot of people that you play MUGEN with. That could help too.

Anyway, didn't mean to get so wordy. Just wanted to reach out fighting game fan to fighting game fan. :)
I hope you keep creating either way!
#17  January 10, 2016, 10:19:16 pm
    • Mexico
unless you don't upload anything to a public degree and only share private, there is NO guarantee that somebody won't edit it. it isn't stealing if its out in the open for anyone to look at, sheesh.

im not saying that someone just editing your work without permission is a good thing, its a dick move and shouldnt be how things work, but its just how the free internet is, so it WILL happen, you can't really police stuff like this when you have no control once it's out in the open.

look, alot of people already love your work, and if someone edits it people will still tell its yours since you're a fantastic coder. it's alright to feel a bit bothered by it but you can't expect everyone to go with the whole honrific code thing, it IS the internet after all. so if you're gonna quit and not continue something since one little youtuber or something edited it, then that's your own doing, you can't blame other people that edits your stuff because they never forced you to quit.
You know.. At times I would feel the same.. To go the private route because someone said something we don't agree with, or we feel as though no one appreciates what we do.. Only one losing is ourselves. Because many of us do this to allow others to bask in nostalgia & our love for it. I myself have always just wanted to gossip about these old games & talk about how great they were & still are. The thing for me that you said that stands out above all... "It's Fun" that's all it took for me to completely disregard anything else. More so than any form of recognition... Just knowing people still enjoy mugen is enough for me. I do things for myself first & others second. I enjoy what I do. I am my biggest fan. I can only disappoint myself. Now I understand this may not be the same for you, but... Why else would you be doing this? Upon reading everything you said though I can truly appreciate what you do & where you are coming from. There are actually those that can only do something if they are given praise for it. They don't enjoy making the characters they do, hell they probably don't even have fun doing it anymore. It becomes a chore and they truly do it because they want to be acknowledged for the one that did it.. Now that is shameless to me.. There will always be those that complain,  those that  actually love it, and there will always be those that just hit the download button. Idk why, but the state of things being people are less likely to express themselves openly, or rather don't share the same sentiment as we do. It sucks, but that is the reality. There are so many things I could get into & perhaps I missed the point on a few things, but at the end of the day.. Just as I had to learn.. This is a hobby and hobbies aren't hobbies if "we" aren't you know enjoying them.
I understand well what you both say, and deeply thinking about it, is not the video or the character that bothers me; it's just that I have some questions as this:

Am I making the same mistake?
I don't win a single coin doing this and maybe Ed Boon also bothers this kind of thing; that is why we included the Netherrealm and Warner Brothers logos on the latest chars, as I said, is not about authorship, is about respect for the other people work and that's when I remember because I do this:
Because nobody was doing it and I want it.

Another question:
Really we need a policeman to regulate the morals of the people?
I'm clear that if the society is still in diapers in matters of moral values. Everyone wants quality but does nothing to make it happend, that's the reality and I can't change it but that's brings me to my last question for you, and this seems to be the focus of my topic:

Really worth that much I do my best in something that eventually people will end up doing it for me?, If I leave the scene Mugen you think it stops to exist MK characters and other suff I do?, Of course not, it's as simple as taking my code and make a new character; same thing is happening with Warusaki and POTS characters and if someone not agree with that, then why not ask for more?, more quality, more details, more evolution. It seems that the current society is happy with crumbs. That's why Michaels Bay's Transformers 4 exist and that depresses me.

That's why my very first question: Nobody cares anymore? About you reply Rei: Your commentary make me remember why I do this, and make me think that I shouldn't care about it either. Im angry in this moment that's all. 10/10 to your comment.  ;)

In spanish: Lo siento, Omegapsycho, pero te fuiste con la finta.
No lo hice, si por lo menos lo hubiera hecho bien tal vez no estaria tan molesto, esto fue como dibujar un bigote y decir que es otra cosa.

I did not, at least if he had done well perhaps would not be so upset, this was like drawing a mustache and name it different.

This is a story from 1 fighting game fan to another. I'll try not to wall -o- text but I can't guarantee it =p
Thanks for sharing your story with me "Just No Point" maybe that's what I wanted.  ;)

XSZ

#18  January 10, 2016, 10:21:51 pm
    • USA
    • www.youtube.com/user/XSZ105
Your work gets plenty of props, Omegapsycho. You are a boss. But if you're not getting the motivation you seek, maybe you should take a break to see if it comes back to you.
Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 10:33:06 pm by XSZ

lui

#19  January 10, 2016, 10:26:51 pm
    • USA
man, i really do suck at wording, i didnt mean to come off as hostile and not-caring, i do really love your works, my main point is, just dont care about who edits your work man, they're probably not gonna be as good as your original stuff and if someone fixes some stuff, you can use that to improve yourself even more, just dont let little edits like these get you down man, frankly its not really worth caring over.
#20  January 10, 2016, 10:37:26 pm
    • Mexico
man, i really do suck at wording, i didnt mean to come off as hostile and not-caring, i do really love your works, my main point is, just dont care about who edits your work man, they're probably not gonna be as good as your original stuff and if someone fixes some stuff, you can use that to improve yourself even more, just dont let little edits like these get you down man, frankly its not really worth caring over.
Do not worry man; the fact that you're in this topic tells me you really care. Thanks a lot for that.  :thumbsup:
#21  January 10, 2016, 10:55:52 pm
  • Magna Power
  • Its Hotdog time. Hot.... Dog...time...
    • neofiresonicmugen.webs.com
mugen has a honor code?
this website is stupid

XSZ

#22  January 10, 2016, 10:56:35 pm
    • USA
For me, the best thing about mugen is the infinite customizations you can make to it to suit your gameplay style. You have to expect it, but I still think that the honor and respect of the creators' works can still be appreciated by everyone.
#23  January 10, 2016, 10:58:31 pm
  • Magna Power
I always "credit" people when i release my mugen stuff, if I know their names of course.
this website is stupid
#24  January 10, 2016, 11:40:24 pm
  • GEE GEE
Times have changed. There was once a time where Mugen characters were like an excavation - every release was new and exciting. Ownership mattered here because it was linked to attention. But Mugen is now aged - a lot of these new ideas have been explored and now repetitive. The people left are those who truly appreciate its core, which is like, 1/10 the population. So ownership still matters, but not as much. since there isn't a huge fan basis to appreciate it.

Credit is still due where appropriate. But when someone takes your work, chances are they are adopting it because they believe in your work and want to build upon it. Its not to steal attention, since, quite frankly, there's no one to impress. Sure credits these days might end up looking like a chain of people, but that just means that the work is polished and is in its best form.
wat.
#25  January 10, 2016, 11:54:10 pm
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
Not really. Most of the time when someone takes something it's because they want to make it "Harder" and in the process, far worse. Rarely does someone take something without asking and actually improve on it. If they ask, they probably will improve on it, but those are 2 different mindsets.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#26  January 11, 2016, 12:11:05 am
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
Yeah Omega, a lot has been said that I could say myself. If they do give credit to the original creator, then ok. There's a problem when people don't give credit...not to mention make things worse.
#27  January 11, 2016, 12:37:58 am
    • Mexico
Exactly, in this specific case, you will notice in the video that is exact same Shao Kahn I did some years ago. Only with the color palette and the name changed. As I said before, it's like putting a mustache and say that this is another character.
I don't think I would have bothered whether at least have it another set of powers and features that make it different.
This case in my opinon was disgusting and it remove my desire to continue spending my weekends doing this, at least for the moment. Don't worry,  I'm not giving up.
#28  January 11, 2016, 12:46:44 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
You'd be surprised how many people like doing that stuff. I mean look at all the MLP and Sonic recolor/renames. Only the most talentless people create totally original characters by recolor/renaming them.
#29  January 11, 2016, 01:13:12 am
  • Pixel Animator
  • "I'm done trying with you."
    • USA
I always felt that editting and modifying others works were to be used as a learning process starting point, not something to make a name of yourself on...

Then again, I began here in 08', so I was late anyway... around then, it was mostly the "God" "Omega" "Hyper" ect ect really flaring up. Something I still deeply despise to this day.
#30  January 11, 2016, 03:13:07 am
  • Vs Style Debuts Tag Project CEO
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
I don't really understand the Honor Code thing here but what I do understand is that you're upset somebody edited your work and released it. If you wasn't credited, OK, you have a right to be mad or upset but quitting MUGEN over that is your choice you put on yourself. The thing is, it's the internet, if you released something in public, it's gonna be classified by LOTS of people as Open-Source and just gonna edit it anyway, no matter the cost. Editing someone's character was a major stepping stone for me when I got into MUGEN coding and I ALWAYS credit someone for their work and I, on certain occasions, notify them I've edited their work and they were amazed. I even made a template and made my Snapback/Counter/X-Over code Open-source because doing that will encourage others to try to use my code for their own works and I'd like to see how they did it.

As I said, you have a right to be upset if you wasn't credited for your work used by someone else. Didn't know issues like these were around because I got into MUGEN back in '11-'12.
Beware the Dark Wolf once more!
#31  January 11, 2016, 03:20:40 am
  • "VS. Style Debuts - CEO"
  • Death is the start of a brand new cycle
    • Brazil
    • Skype - emperorzankuro
    • https://shinzankuro.carrd.co/
Doens't have credited for something made by you being used by other people it's really a bad thing.

But DW is right, once some release are public, you should understand that public release will be used by other people, with good or bad intent.

I always felt that editting and modifying others works were to be used as a learning process starting point, not something to make a name of yourself on...

Like the characters i've converted and I'm converting until now, it's based on Beximus coding style [But hey, I already asked his permission for using his older characters as basis, and I always credit him for it, and actually I've learned a lot of things to put my personal touches on the characters to try make those chars unique]
- Want to commission me for a artwork? Just come here
- Donations is welcome
#32  January 11, 2016, 06:01:33 am
OMEGAPSYCHO, I really love your stuff, just my 2 cents. Instead on focusing on the kids editing your stuff, focus more on the people that you are making happy releasing your chars.  The Only MK chars that I'll add to my roster are yours, I consider them the best.
I know that it may be disheartening seeing your Shao Khan stolen like that, but think about it, how many people have used the edited version 2, 3 , 5 ? and how many people use your version ? numbers are in the thousands. :)
Just take it as a compliment and be done with it. :)
#33  January 11, 2016, 11:07:23 am
Haz lo que te gusta para que te guste lo que haces
Do/make what you like because you like doing/making it.

You could have taken that advice and not cared about that youtuber. Or was that line just for show? I mean, you had it before making this topic, but you contradicted yourself again with that.

Maybe I'm starting something, but I just felt the need to point that out.
#34  January 11, 2016, 01:17:25 pm

As a big fan of your Mortal Kombat creations and Scorpion, I cried inside  :'(

when will this personal crises ends? it just won't stop!
#35  January 11, 2016, 01:58:54 pm
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
Totally this. I support most of the comments here about that kind of things don't care anymore. The MUGEN Police doesn't exist anymore, anyone can make a character as he/she wants, the community understands that the only way people can learn about MUGEN coding is to edit actual content to create their own stuff, various famous creators started like that, included me. Always will exist people that makes minor (or shitty) edits of stuff and claim it as own, as well people that make shitty stuff, that cannot be avoided. But you can't be pissed off about that, you're not a child anymore (as seen in your photo)

I'm not trying to persecute anyone
Again, not trying to persecute anyone,
Lie, the whole thread is about that. Youtube MUGEN community is blamed for the poor quality of their "creations" (mostly edits of other people), but you can't blame the whole MUGEN community because one shitty edit. Heck, even various opf my chars has been edit like that Shao Kahn and I don't care since everyone else knows about my work and what I do. You're not a n00b that made his first character and spit to the community becuase that char has an awful edit. YOU are a very known MK creator and very respected, as Kazmer and Juano16 before you, you've no worry about an edit of an N.N. would dirt all your work from years, so stop this, please.

I was taking a break from programming in mugen and see that video. My motivation gone for now. Maybe later when I am more quieter.
If you want to take a break of making characters (or maybe retire) because you're bored, you lost inspiration or real life get all of your time, you're free to do it and no one will say you anything about it. But not because other people edited your characters and you were pissed off about it, that won't be an argument to stop making your awesome content, not for me at least.

Sorry if this comment may be harsh (especially sorry Omega if I could offend you in any way), but this kind of thread shouldn't be done anymore, not in 2016.

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#36  January 11, 2016, 02:10:01 pm
  • Master Mugen Collection Maker and Mugen Enthusiast
    • hammerman398@gmail.com
I agree with the point you are making. That is the reason why I am not making Viga for my Master Fighter 3 project (I don't want to steal code or create a spriteswap). The last thing I want is to have an inferior creation.
#37  January 11, 2016, 04:57:45 pm
  • The Barbarian
  • Most ****able 2013
    • USA
    • Skype - chronostrifeff7h@hotmail.com
Totally this. I support most of the comments here about that kind of things don't care anymore. The MUGEN Police doesn't exist anymore, anyone can make a character as he/she wants, the community understands that the only way people can learn about MUGEN coding is to edit actual content to create their own stuff, various famous creators started like that, included me. Always will exist people that makes minor (or shitty) edits of stuff and claim it as own, as well people that make shitty stuff, that cannot be avoided. But you can't be pissed off about that, you're not a child anymore (as seen in your photo)
Sorry if this comment may be harsh (especially sorry Omega if I could offend you in any way), but this kind of thread shouldn't be done anymore, not in 2016.
Love the "current year" reference in 2016, like it works as some sort of point to the argument, but where do you get off telling him he can't be pissed about his work being used and potentially butchered? It's totally within acceptable reason for someone to be upset that their "art", if you can call mugen that, is modified.

Long shitpost incoming:
So let me see if I understand the argument in terms of Mugen works. The code is open-source, same as the sprites, you can't lock either of them down (nor should we be able to, and I agree with this). On that basis, other people can take what you made, improve on it, or shit it up (I totally agree with this). But complaining or being bothered by it is just plain 'childish'..

So when I take Balthazars Z2 sprites, and give all the characters giant erections thru their pants, and code in shit emitters when they power-up, then make all Saiyan attacks as 1-hit kill moves. Give credit to Balth and Cybaster for the modified Goku, but then take all the rest of the credit for myself for all the work done on the characters/stages sprites, code, and sound. After all, I modified them all or atleast some of those things, it was a learning experience for me on drawing dicks and explod spammers. People are allowed to complain that it's a stupid edit when I post a release thread or youtube video, and say I'm a cunt for thinking it was worthy of a release and I should remove the dicks. BUT the Z2 team isn't allowed to complain that I turned their code and artwork into a literal shitshow? Because by your own description, they'd be childish to complain that I fucked their stuff up then stole credit for the base work.

Also the argument I saw in an earlier post: "I know who created the original and thus it doesn't matter" is a stupid one, no one person on this board is the general userbase, I don't know who released what. If I downloaded that edited Shao Khan, and there was no credit to OmegaPsycho, and I really liked the character then I'd say "So-and-so that's listed in the ReadMe or on the site I downloaded it from can do some good stuff". I wouldn't just seize up and say "Hnng! OmegaPsycho made the original version this is based off, of course!", because I wouldn't know.

From what I've witnessed over the years, and my view is biased as my own, there are people in the mugen community that swung from one far side of the pendulum to the other as far as expectations of crediting goes. Where it used to be some people would start a witch hunt against code thieves, spriteswappers, and warehousers. A few years ago I saw the opposite, where there are people who believe you should get mocked if you are unhappy someone just straight up stole you efforts. It's the opposite extreme and it's just as stupid. Mugen creators/contributors should expect this sort of thing to happen with open-source, freely accessible material they threw up on the internet. They are also fine to be pissed when someone takes it, adds a new PlaySND or sprite swaps a Ryu over their code and then uploads it to their own site or a warehouse and says "I made this! Do not steal, lol!" Open-source/Free doesn't mean bend-over and don't complain, regardless of the circumstances of this particular scenario from the OP.

Me personally, when I see my code used/stolen or however you want to look at it these days it makes me feel pretty good. A year or so ago I came across a video of my old Trunkz character, sprite swapped with new sprites by someone called Mephistopheles. I downloaded the character because it had better sprites and was going to upload him to to my site giving him sprite credit. In the end I was pretty disappointed with the swap. Some sprites had animation issues, he lacked strong punch, and the sprite alignment was iffy (especially the hit frames), among other things such as pallette issues. So I reached out to him and asked him if I could use his edit and improve the character and give him credit, and he was cool with it! I The new sprites were originally created by JediStarDust and edited by Cacuke which I didn't know about at the time, until I got informed on Facebook. Now everything is worked out and BenHazard gave the sheet another pass, so everything is better now.

My point is, you can't expect anyone to follow some unwritten community guideline on feelings, everyone has different reactions to work they did getting used. Especially when it is an open hobby like MUGEN. If was a code or graphics job at some software company, yeah, complaining that you aren't getting name recognition for that awesome fix-all utility or your website graphics you made would be dumb. You get paid for your work and get experience, and once you quit or are fired, the company keeps ALL your work.
In Mugen it's a hobby, but it is also work (fun work as it may be), if you really believe people shouldn't be upset that their hobby project got butchered and someone elses name plastered on it or your name stripped off it, then you are nuts. It's not 2011 anymore.. I mean it's 2016, come on!
#38  January 11, 2016, 05:03:12 pm
I MEAN COME ON
#39  January 11, 2016, 05:54:02 pm
  • Magna Power
I think its only really bad if someone does ABSOLUTELY nothing to a character other than change the author's name and put their own name.
this website is stupid

lui

#40  January 11, 2016, 06:22:01 pm
    • USA
well fuck this thread just went downhill fast
#41  January 11, 2016, 09:45:42 pm
  • Man of Mystery (and Chocolate)
    • USA
You know the old saying that there's 'No honor among thieves?' That's what this situation feels like...

Here's the thing, Omega. I know you've done great work with your characters... let's face it, outside of the MK Project fix that borg has done, you have the best characters from the series in MUGEN. Bar None.... Are you going to sit there and let some jerk ruin what you have built over time or are you going to brush that dirt off of your shoulder and get back to work on the next character?

I don't know about you, man, but I hate to see you take time off or even quit because of one incident.
#42  January 12, 2016, 04:06:21 am
    • Mexico
Haz lo que te gusta para que te guste lo que haces
Do/make what you like because you like doing/making it.

You could have taken that advice and not cared about that youtuber. Or was that line just for show? I mean, you had it before making this topic, but you contradicted yourself again with that.

Maybe I'm starting something, but I just felt the need to point that out.
TOTALLY TRUE!. My mind is a little more clear now; is just that I have present all the work behind this, all the money, all the ideas that come to my mind to make it more fun, complex, awesome, something "out of the box" and before seeing the video I was seven hours uninterrupted programming in mugen and when I found that, I simply explode; I shout aloud FFFFFFUUUUUUUUU!!! and i came here inmediatly.
This was merely a tantrum, but I think it may be of some use for those who feel that is a waste of time put a little more effort than average. Those people will decide if worth or not this strange hobby. Thanks for your comments.

Don't worry man, Im NOT giving up. in spite of what you read here; I'm not that weak.  :sweatdrop:
I think its only really bad if someone does ABSOLUTELY nothing to a character other than change the author's name and put their own name.
That's the point, It's about respect not tribute.
You know the old saying that there's 'No honor among thieves?' That's what this situation feels like...

Here's the thing, Omega. I know you've done great work with your characters... let's face it, outside of the MK Project fix that borg has done, you have the best characters from the series in MUGEN. Bar None.... Are you going to sit there and let some jerk ruin what you have built over time or are you going to brush that dirt off of your shoulder and get back to work on the next character?

I don't know about you, man, but I hate to see you take time off or even quit because of one incident.
Of course I will not, maybe take a little time, but I promise there will be more mugen projects coming soon.

Well, I read all of your comments, some are harder than others but I think all have been fair so far and deserve my gratitude and a final comment because there is no point lengthen more this episode.

1.- I am not giving up. I'll still to do the same good job that I think I do.
2.- I don't think that taking sprites, sounds and even code is "steal" unless you get financial compensation for that. I think mugen is about to do what the original authors of these works will never give us, is for cover a necessity if you wish to see it in a way, but the work and care put into this IS REAL, there are no morals police; if you think you can ignore your own values ​​and think that nothing happened, fine, but life will pass you the bills. We are already talking about personal values ​​here, I think it's important say this for those who think that is usless a topic like this (P.D. for Titiln). At the end of the road, be successful in whatever you do involves episodes like these and be unable to seeing coming and can't be capable to handle it, turns you in al loser. (I have learned that).
3.- I've noticed that my work is not as undervalued as I thought, I will try to not forget what it says my signature again. (Thanks Sin).

One final tip from me: I'll repeat myself again: "The work and dedication put it into this IS REAL." Think about that when someone shares with you a project worthy of a rookie; is very difficult be devote and put a part of your life to learn how to do something you love and nobody care about it; but it is beyond terrible when someone think that something good have you done, grow from the ground like grass. It is about respect, gratitude and understanding.

Good day everyone.  :tipshat:
Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 04:17:02 am by OMEGAPSYCHO
#43  January 12, 2016, 08:33:04 am
  • Support me @ ko-fi.com/violinken
    • youtube.com/c/ViolinKen
As someone who's been around since elecbyte and testp were still active, I can say your creations stand out to me after all these years of trying different characters.  Just about every type of character you've made feels accurate.  It's pretty obvious that you put a lot of work into your characters.  As someone who's made characters as well, the amount of time you've spent on your characters is definitely recognized and appreciated.  Original fatalities, built in movelists, 2 sound sets, original bonus stages, etc... the list of creative things you've done goes on and on. 

Despite being a victim of someone's poor edit of your creation, you really shouldn't let it bother you.  It's pretty obvious you're a well respected creator in the mugen community (you got nominated a few times for character of the month!).  Anyone in the mugen community would immediately see that the character was originally yours (heck, not a lot of people have attempted making Shao Kahn anyway). 

Support me @ ko-fi.com/violinken

#44  January 12, 2016, 09:46:46 pm
  • mirror, mirror...
    • www.poland.pl/
..I remember opened a similar thread being treated as shit asking it....."code thieves","leecher" and other terms are gone like was..:http://network.mugenguild.com/rs/ddm/ravenous.html....many creators came private those days to stop it....but failed..rules changed...then come as a plague bad edited ,spriteswaps....but the real creator never be ignored by that awful edits...ignore that people....and she,Omega is a good one...
-I hate haters and S.o.S chars.....
-time to migrate from winmugen...
#45  January 12, 2016, 11:01:23 pm
well fuck this thread just went downhill fast
it's really not though. read chrono.st's post, he explains why it's okay for a creator to get pissed if he sees his creations get bastardized.
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#46  January 13, 2016, 06:57:41 am
    • tusulan@googlemail.com
First of all: I can understand your position quite good. You are creating outstanding characters and stages and some stupid kiddies are editing something and sell it as their work. Sadly, it isn't possible to protect your work, as far as I know. But I hope that this isn't too demotivating for you. Please remind that you are a well-known personality in MUGEN and because of that most people can distinguish between these kiddies and the BOSS. :cool4:

That's Correct. If the credit were a thing that worries me I would have shown my face and voice in one of my videos. "OMEGAPSYCHO" is only a "character" this is the real me:

You've seen me before?, of course not. Thats the proof that Is not about credit.

Objection, Your Honour! :stop:

What is this...? :deal2:

I don't like take photos of my self; I prefer to remain anonymous but I guess show my driver's license photo will not hurt anybody, so, this is me:
  ;P

And here is even more! :yaoming:

you sure do look like an PSYCHO that will bring the OMEGA :uhoh:

:P

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Reeeaaaallyyy..?
How about this!!!...

:wugoi:

Okay, back to the topic:

1.- I am not giving up. I'll still to do the same good job that I think I do.

It's very nice to hear that. :mthumbs:

2.- I don't think that taking sprites, sounds and even code is "steal" unless you get financial compensation for that. I think mugen is about to do what the original authors of these works will never give us, is for cover a necessity if you wish to see it in a way, but the work and care put into this IS REAL, there are no morals police; if you think you can ignore your own values ​​and think that nothing happened, fine, but life will pass you the bills. We are already talking about personal values ​​here, I think it's important say this for those who think that is usless a topic like this (P.D. for Titiln). At the end of the road, be successful in whatever you do involves episodes like these and be unable to seeing coming and can't be capable to handle it, turns you in al loser. (I have learned that).

I am right there with you.

3.- I've noticed that my work is not as undervalued as I thought, I will try to not forget what it says my signature again. (Thanks Sin).

Don't forget that there is a user in this forum, who dedicated every post to you. :yuno:
#47  January 14, 2016, 03:08:27 am
    • Mexico
Thank you for your comments guys, I have read it all with attetion this is pure fuel for my motivation. And I really hope this topic can be usefull for those who wants start or find motivation for continue in this very fun hobby. I really apreciate.

Please remind that you are a well-known personality in MUGEN and because of that most people can distinguish between these kiddies and the BOSS. :cool4:

(You got me with that photos dude  :mlol:)

I know, I know, I have very clear what you guys are thinking now:

And so I will !.  ;)
#48  January 14, 2016, 03:12:18 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
Not even going to read all of this thread but I'll chime in: just because it's not as common these days doesn't mean it's not appreciated. All it takes is a PM, and people will usually tell you "yes," simply because you actually took the time to ask.
#49  January 14, 2016, 03:34:13 am
#50  January 14, 2016, 03:42:45 am
  • Thanks for all the help!
    • USA
I'm "new" here but I want to chime in because I'm trying to edit hitsparks and it's starting to test my last nerve.

We have something special here and we've had it for damn near 20 years.

I still remember the first time I saw 8 characters with a shitty screenpack that my friend gave me.

When I played, Evil Ken was over powered and made the game useless.

We should be beyond that but threads like these and uptight creators have ruined it so far.

Till this day I find shitty releases with horrible A.I. lack of clarity and a lack of a real sense of togetherness from this community.

You guys and gals are ruining it.

We could have a game with dbz street fighter mortal kombat marvel dc and more but we don't because they're all broken to shit.

I'm seeing now even more so than before because I'm trying to put one of those dream projects together and every single f****** char has different coding to make it difficult to edit.

Every Character has different hitsparks, a.i. shitty hitboxes and more and why?

So someone can say I made that no matter who puts the work into putting it all together and trying to make it work as a fighting game.

Guess what? If a game comes out and only 1 out of 1,000000 characters is really good than that game is broken.

If a fighter comes out and all the hitsparks are crazy and unorganized than that game is broken.

If a game comes out and some of the characters play at hard 8 all the time than that game is broken.

This community is broken because of selfish ass creators who didn't even make the characters or stages to begin with.

We don't own capcom, we don't work for capcom and we won't make any godamn money from this so why the f*** hasn't everyone banded together for what we all want?

I'll tell you why; It's because everybody wants to be the guy who gets credited.

I won't take credit for my compilation, I've said it time and time again that all of my chars and stages will be recognized by their author in the credits and I'm still meet with bullspit.

Elecbyte sure as hell didn't help by releasing so many version either but the real problem is selfish ass creators.

I know it takes time..... look at my youtube channel and you'll find that this has been my side "dream" project for over a year now but I'm barely really getting into it and all I find is variables upon variables and shitty f******* coding on top of shitty F****** coding in order to stop this dream from happening.

We should be past the point of having to start from scratch.

Members of this community have come and gone....members have passed away and yet here we are having this same bs discussion over bs that no one in the outside world gives a damn about.

We could do something special here.

We should work together and not against one another.

Capcom is a huge corporation with a bunch of employees and one person cannot put everything together......by now the pieces should be in place for a dream project to come out WE ARE THAT CORPORATION TOGETHER but to my surprise it hasn't happened yet because of the same bs politics that this thread is still shilling.

Now if you excuse me, I have to go back to trying to fix my waifus hitsparks because every creator decided it would be fun to put different hitsparks and different coding to confuse the fuck out of dudes like me
Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 03:47:20 am by goldeneragaming
#51  January 14, 2016, 03:51:45 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
What the fuck does that have to do with this thread?
#52  January 14, 2016, 03:55:48 am
    • USA
What the fuck does that have to do with this thread?

godamnit I'll put it in laymans.....

muthafuckas need to chill the fuck out about who made what and why and how. Just release that shit, make it good and try and make something special.

We all love fighting games so worrying about how your char is yours or how someone is going to steal it only derails us from what we should be doing.

We should work together and bring something special to the world.

Fuck.

You can exclude me if you want but by fuckin now you should have done it already.

Fuckin virtual reality is going to be a thing soon and we can't have a fuckin 2d fighter with all of the best characters and stages because of bullshit.

Instead of saying ohhhhhhh my char has to better than his char or I won't release it! release that shit when they're even godamnit. Don't make your creations work against each other, make them work with each other.

The sad thing is, no one fuckin cares about this bullshit I'm spewing and I can expect "rarer" Akuma in a week or some shit
Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 04:04:55 am by goldeneragaming
#53  January 14, 2016, 04:04:51 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Until you put in any kind of work to help others you're the selfish hypocrite here. You have no idea why unique people make unique things their way for MUGEN. As someone that's literally spent their entire MUGEN career trying to help others in the areas I learn in MUGEN I find what you're doing here insulting.

Get off your high horse and quit wishing for others to do all the work for you. Actually learn skills and share those skills. If you're not being a part of the solution you're being part of the problem.
#54  January 14, 2016, 04:06:55 am
    • USA
Until you put in any kind of work to help others you're the selfish hypocrite here. You have no idea why unique people make unique things their way for MUGEN. As someone that's literally spent their entire MUGEN career trying to help others in the areas I learn in MUGEN I find what you're doing here insulting.

Get off your high horse and quit wishing for others to do all the work for you. Actually learn skills and share those skills. If you're not being a part of the solution you're being part of the problem.

I agree! that's why it pained me to write that but I am learning and I've helped in a thread or two so far.

I'm not saying I'm some fuckin mugen savior or anything, I just had hoped that by now things would be better and it's not.

It's quite sad actually.
#55  January 14, 2016, 04:09:16 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
I hope and think the same. But I don't make huge crazy rants. I get out there and do it. Talk is cheap. You want something done you do it yourself.
#56  January 14, 2016, 04:10:45 am
    • USA
I hope and think the same. But I don't make huge crazy rants. I get out there and do it. Talk is cheap. You want something done you do it yourself.

very true. As I stated, I was on edge which is no excuse but it's the truth
#57  January 14, 2016, 04:15:05 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Might want to apologize to "the community" and all these people that put in so much time into their creations, good or bad. Just so you can come in here and call them all trash because they didn't fit the idea you had.
#58  January 14, 2016, 04:16:49 am
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
goldeneragaming said:
bwaaah! why didn't dozens if not hundreds of creators with different backgrounds, tools and goals do the be all end all uniform compilation that I dream of!? The mugen community blows!
You're full of shit.
#59  January 14, 2016, 04:17:38 am
    • USA
My apologies to the community and I don't think any of the releases are trash.

goldeneragaming said:
bwaaah! why didn't dozens if not hundreds of creators with different backgrounds, tools and goals do the be all end all uniform compilation that I dream of!? The mugen community blows!
You're full of shit.

you're literally putting words in my mouth. I did not say that
#60  January 14, 2016, 04:20:20 am
we have. you're just not looking hard enough.
how are we not working together when you have people ripping sprite sheets and hosting them for everyone?
how are we not working together when you have people who post mugen tutorials and help other coders?
how are we not working together when you have people like balthazar and the rest of the Z2 team working on a full game with it's own gameplay system and original sprites which they will release for free?
i'm sick of this argument btw and i honestly don't know why people keep using it.
#61  January 14, 2016, 04:24:32 am
  • I am hilarious
  • and you will quote everything I say
    • USA
Don't cut yourself on all that EDGE, gold
#62  January 14, 2016, 04:25:20 am
    • USA
we have. you're just not looking hard enough.

care to link?

how are we not working together when you have people ripping sprite sheets and hosting them for everyone?
how are we not working together when you have people who post mugen tutorials and help other coders?
how are we not working together when you have people like balthazar and the rest of the Z2 team working on a full game with it's own gameplay system and original sprites which they will release for free?
i'm sick of this argument btw and i honestly don't know why people keep using it.

we're not together when every char has a different way to have hitsparks, when every char has different gameplay, when a lot of chars have different a.i. when certain characters are hidden and no longer shared, when the community is literally split into like 3 different boards

Don't cut yourself on all that EDGE, gold

you've decided to attack my character because you have nothing to say
#63  January 14, 2016, 04:25:57 am
  • I am hilarious
    • USA
Hey did you know people like different things
#64  January 14, 2016, 04:27:41 am
  • 90's Kawaii
    • Guatemala
Ah, my apologies goldeneragaming.

Till this day I find shitty releases with horrible A.I. lack of clarity and a lack of a real sense of togetherness from this community.

We could have a game with dbz street fighter mortal kombat marvel dc and more but we don't because they're all broken to shit. I'm seeing now even more so than before because I'm trying to put one of those dream projects together and every single f****** char has different coding to make it difficult to edit.
[...]
Now if you excuse me, I have to go back to trying to fix my waifus hitsparks because every creator decided it would be fun to put different hitsparks and different coding to confuse the fuck out of dudes like me.
[…]
we're not together when every char has a different way to have hitsparks, when every char has different gameplay, when a lot of chars have different a.i. when certain characters are hidden and no longer shared, when the community is literally split into like 3 different boards.

You're still full of shit, though.
#65  January 14, 2016, 04:28:47 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
We won't ever be a hive mind.
#66  January 14, 2016, 04:29:51 am
    • USA
Hey did you know people like different things

I sure do but when we are all on the same engine and all trying to accomplish the same goal(creating a video game) then having personal preference is going against everyone else is selfish.

I agree and I understand that everyone wants to create different things....most are happy with one character or one stage.

All I'm saying is that if there was a default idea and purpose then we could have something amazing.

I understand it's impossible and really really hard to do, which is what I'm attempting to do but I think it could have been done better by now.

It's just a wishful thought really.

I know I'm wrong.

We could have a game with dbz street fighter mortal kombat marvel dc and more but we don't because they're all broken to shit. I'm seeing now even more so than before because I'm trying to put one of those dream projects together and every single f****** char has different coding to make it difficult to edit.
[...]
Now if you excuse me, I have to go back to trying to fix my waifus hitsparks because every creator decided it would be fun to put different hitsparks and different coding to confuse the fuck out of dudes like me.
[…]
we're not together when every char has a different way to have hitsparks, when every char has different gameplay, when a lot of chars have different a.i. when certain characters are hidden and no longer shared, when the community is literally split into like 3 different boards.

you're allowed to say that, you can feel however you want about me
#67  January 14, 2016, 04:30:42 am
  • I am hilarious
    • USA
#68  January 14, 2016, 04:31:54 am
and between 2000 to 2010, we had a lack of good fight games on video-games, maybe that make people look for mugen, nowsday fight games are a trend again, since they give up to make 360º floor and became a plane again.
#69  January 14, 2016, 04:32:36 am
    • USA
#70  January 14, 2016, 04:33:28 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
And the people that are making a video game are generally making different kinds too. There's so many different fighting engines and combinations...
#71  January 14, 2016, 04:34:05 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
I sure do but when we are all on the same engine and all trying to accomplish the same goal(creating a video game) then having personal preference is going against everyone else is selfish.
I think you fundamentally misunderstand the purpose of MUGEN, or at least the purpose Elecbyte created it for. It's not so that the community as a whole to create one single game, it's so that each individual has the ability to make one themselves (or, more commonly, in a group). MUGEN creations are not, and shouldn't ever be, a monolith.
#72  January 14, 2016, 04:34:30 am
  • 90's Kawaii
    • Guatemala
Your lack of self awareness is staggering.
#73  January 14, 2016, 04:37:46 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
We could have a game with dbz street fighter mortal kombat marvel dc and more but we don't because they're all broken to shit.

I'm seeing now even more so than before because I'm trying to put one of those dream projects together and every single f****** char has different coding to make it difficult to edit.

this shit has nothing to do with this thread and i couldnt even go beyond this without almost roling my eyes out of my sockets.
You are basically crying that no one is doing characters how you want them to do.

thats not togetherness, thats oppression. People are free to do with their time whatever they want without anyone deeming them worth of being posted or not, and its not because someone tells them that they need to get together to do your idea of a perfect game that they have any business stopping their own projects to do your vision.

This rant is very selfish and even bringing that up in the middle of a thread that had nothing to do with it is selfish.
#74  January 14, 2016, 04:38:27 am
  • Prince of Latis
  • Destroy the Core!
    • Canada
    • Skype - Whiplash-1
when every char has different gameplay,

Are you for real? what are you suggesting? everyone make CVS-Style characters? KOF 2002 UM style? SF3? Blazblue? MVC? something new altogether?

What about people who like one of the multitude of other styles? Are they shit out of luck?
#75  January 14, 2016, 04:38:52 am
    • USA
Your lack of self awareness is staggering.

you're right, the post about different styles of video games is valid

this shit has nothing to do with this thread and i couldnt even go beyond this without almost roling my eyes out of my sockets.
You are basically crying that no one is doing characters how you want them to do.

thats not togetherness, thats oppression. People are free to do with their time whatever they want without anyone deeming them worth of being posted or not, and its not because someone tells them that they need to get together to do your idea of a perfect game that they have any business stopping their own projects to do your vision.

This rant is very selfish and even bringing that up in the middle of a thread that had nothing to do with it is selfish.

also valid.

I was wrong

just no point and jmorphman - also right................

thanks for reading my post....I just needed to let go of some steam.

Thanks for correcting me as well. lesson learned
Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 04:44:22 am by goldeneragaming
Hi Fubs
#76  January 14, 2016, 04:59:45 am
  • animes are for pussies
    • Germany
I liked your palettes back in the days, but as a moderator...

[...]
[…]

and due to all respect... YOU TOTALLY SUCK.
#77  January 14, 2016, 05:03:50 am
  • I am hilarious
    • USA
So he's not allowed to call out someone who's looking for attention and being super entitled?
#78  January 14, 2016, 05:04:00 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
That rant is pretty full of shit tho.
#79  January 14, 2016, 05:05:27 am
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
So how much longer till we Hall of Fame this portion of the thread? :P
This is a generic forum signature.
#80  January 14, 2016, 05:05:45 am
    • USA
#81  January 14, 2016, 05:06:45 am
    • USA
Re: Hi Fubs
#82  January 14, 2016, 05:07:37 am
and due to all respect... YOU TOTALLY SUCK.
first off you mauled "with all due respect" and secondarily i don't get what your point here is. fubs summed up golden's rant, golden said stop putting words in my mouth, so then fubs quoted the parts of golden's rant that sounded exactly like fubs' paraphrasing.
#83  January 14, 2016, 05:12:29 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
#84  January 14, 2016, 05:14:02 am
  • Club -SyN- in my past life
    • USA
    • negative-edge.net
Sad to see certain things hasn't changed...
#85  January 14, 2016, 05:15:18 am
  • Just a butcher on a mission
    • www.justnopoint.com/lbends
I remember a long time ago when ripping material was a labor intensive, manual process that yielded mediocre results at best.  Does not the apple farmer get angry when the pie maker steals the apples?

Nowadays we have the technology to replicate apples.  The farmer is obsolete.
#86  January 14, 2016, 05:16:12 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
CheatEngine apples!
#87  January 14, 2016, 05:16:20 am
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
This is a generic forum signature.
#88  January 14, 2016, 05:17:39 am
nothing in that post resembled a joke
#89  January 14, 2016, 05:20:38 am
  • Tickets ONLY! NEXT!!!
    • USA
Oh, geez. EVERYONE is weighing in on this in some way, huh?
Have you tried "Season 2" Kitty yet?

http://mugenguild.com/forum/senri-project.421
#90  January 14, 2016, 05:21:26 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
Like you?

No seriously, who the fuck are you?
#91  January 14, 2016, 05:22:24 am
  • Magna Power
this website is stupid
#92  January 14, 2016, 05:23:29 am
    • USA
    • negative-edge.net
I know I'm severely late to this topic but this honor code thing, wasn't that settled years ago at this very place shortly after the era of no hosting or using other peoples works, materials, etc was enforced in 80% of the community?

I understand the topic starter is upset but he been involved in mugen just as long as many of us has since that era and should know that any or all content is subject to improper usage and false copyright.

What I'm getting at is why all of this now? And this is directed to all involved in this topic
#93  January 14, 2016, 05:24:29 am
  • Tickets ONLY! NEXT!!!
    • USA

#94  January 14, 2016, 05:27:33 am
  • Hey four stars, whatever that means
    • Canada
    • amidweiz.neocities.org
Wow this thread turned into a shitstorm quickly all over a crappy edit. Sometimes things never change.
#95  January 14, 2016, 05:33:02 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
Re: Hi Fubs
#96  January 14, 2016, 05:34:45 am
  • 90's Kawaii
    • Guatemala
#97  January 14, 2016, 05:35:16 am
    • USA
    • negative-edge.net
JZ, lol. I'll ride with that then.
#98  January 14, 2016, 05:36:19 am
  • Tickets ONLY! NEXT!!!
    • USA
What I'm getting at is why all of this now? And this is directed to all involved in this topic

Because we haven't done this in a while, apparently.

Like you?

No seriously, who the fuck are you?

Whoa, whoa, whoa. What in the world? Mind running that by me again?
I don't know who the fuck you are or why you think you're important enough to make such a statement.

Gee, was my initial statement that harsh?

#99  January 14, 2016, 05:38:18 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
No, just you've got a lot to learn before you try weighing in on such matters.

And a lot of less fucks to give.
#100  January 14, 2016, 05:38:31 am
    • USA
#101  January 14, 2016, 05:40:44 am
  • Tickets ONLY! NEXT!!!
    • USA
No, just you've got a lot to learn before you try weighing in on such matters.

And a lot of less fucks to give.

You're talking to me like I'm not an adult or something. Just 'cause I don't have a bunch of stars under my name doesn't mean you can just go in on me at a moment's notice.

#102  January 14, 2016, 05:41:49 am
    • USA
Indeed.
#103  January 14, 2016, 05:41:56 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
Didn't even notice the stars. Know what else I didn't recognize? Your name.
#104  January 14, 2016, 05:44:08 am
  • Tickets ONLY! NEXT!!!
    • USA
Didn't even notice the stars. Know what else I didn't recognize? Your name.

It bothers me as to how you treat people you don't know. And, look; we just took this whole thread over due to this little stuff.

#105  January 14, 2016, 05:45:53 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
This thread was taken over loooooooooong ago and I'm sorry I'm taking it further. Time to leave this alone because I am not in the right state of mind when I want to hug the Valodim pony.
#106  January 14, 2016, 05:47:47 am
    • USA
#107  January 14, 2016, 05:50:43 am
  • A living Mugen dinossaur :)
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
    • www.brazilmugenteam.com
#108  January 14, 2016, 05:54:47 am
  • Most Dangerous Mugen
    • USA
    • caddie.smeenet.org
I had a much better time with Mugen when I stopped caring about all the stuff that is being mentioned in this thread. If that is my advice to any of you it is for you to do the same. Trust me. :)
#109  January 14, 2016, 05:55:57 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
Wow, what the hell happened here? I thought this topic was done?

I had a much better time with Mugen when I stopped caring about all the stuff that is being mentioned in this thread. If that is my advice to any of you it is for you to do the same. Trust me. :)

Things are generally much simpler when you stop caring about stuff that doesn't matter.
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#110  January 14, 2016, 05:56:25 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
Create, have fun raise hell, beat Debra, and don't forget to flick off people
#111  January 14, 2016, 03:14:01 pm
  • Vs Style Debuts Tag Project CEO
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
This thread is still on going? I thought it was on the verge of being locked because it was resolved.
Beware the Dark Wolf once more!
#112  January 14, 2016, 03:25:53 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
It was resolved back on page 3. Anyone still talking about the OP hasn't been paying attention to what happened. From page 3-5 became the Goldeneragaming period. A period of time where GeG made many posts about his entitlement to having all MUGEN characters made in the way he prefers.

Then from 5 - the present we have entered the JZ is drunk and angrily doesn't know that one guy era. But with God smiting JZ with a hangover that era may have ended and now we will be entering the "I'm going to post in awe that this topic is still going on" moment.

I can only hope the nobody keeps bumping it for no reason phase can happen soon.
#113  January 14, 2016, 04:16:12 pm
i think the derail should be shit threaded.
#114  January 14, 2016, 04:41:26 pm
You made me laugh out loud in class and I hate you.

XSZ

#115  January 14, 2016, 05:21:25 pm
    • USA
Seeing where this thread has gone, it's relevant I'm sure :mwhy:  :smash:

Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 05:26:04 pm by XSZ
#116  January 14, 2016, 05:32:18 pm
  • tired
    • Skype - Istillhasnoname
This thread is still on going? I thought it was on the verge of being locked because it was resolved.
Not to mention locking threads isn't exactly how we roll unless we seriously have to. This isn't one of those times.
Is finding MUGEN to be more enjoyable to play when you're not wearing clothes an underrated opinion?
#117  January 14, 2016, 05:50:36 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico

but you know that stopping caring about this is just one step away from stopping caring bout releasing stuff :P
#118  January 14, 2016, 06:05:07 pm
#119  January 14, 2016, 07:33:50 pm
  • Hëll
    • Brazil
    • https://www.youtube.com/user/MugenJaderMugen
M.U.G.E.N is the new term used to define cyber wars
 :computer: :rifle: :whip:
LOL Elzee is very funny! XD
#120  January 14, 2016, 09:49:29 pm
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
Stop it guys, seriously. As mod, I've no problem at all locking this or just moving to the Shit thread or Recycle Bin, or even just delete the comments I want to stop this, but I won't do it. All the staff here appeal to your sane jugdment of not derail this thread more, and I'm gonna respect that. So stop this, please, Omegapsycho already solved his question in the forum, so there's nothing more to talk here unless there're constructive critics, which wasn't happened yet.

Unless you want to make a good point of view to this thread, better avoid any other comment like the ones after page 3, please

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#121  January 14, 2016, 09:55:57 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
O_o

Basara, one of the deals of letting you have mod powers to run COTM was that you couldn't use them to act as a moderator. You said you can do that. Please don't make me start regretting it now.
#122  January 15, 2016, 03:34:18 am

Don't worry man, Im NOT giving up. in spite of what you read here; I'm not that weak.  :sweatdrop:
Now I can breath again  :coollove:

when will this personal crises ends? it just won't stop!
#123  January 15, 2016, 04:09:52 am
  • Does this look like the face of mercy?
Basara, one of the deals of letting you have mod powers to run COTM was that you couldn't use them to act as a moderator. You said you can do that. Please don't make me start regretting it now.
damn it basura, you had ONE JOB... that you were not supposed to do >_<