YesNoOk

Your criteria for character keepers? (Read 1523 times)

Started by DNZRX768, June 07, 2012, 01:06:31 pm
Share this topic:
Your criteria for character keepers?
#1  June 07, 2012, 01:06:31 pm
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
I know that we get characters all of the time, and most of them are not keepers.

What is your criteria for keepers?
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!
Re: Your criteria for character keepers?
#2  June 07, 2012, 01:20:16 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
I like them and they're high quality enough for my standards ?
#3  June 07, 2012, 01:25:51 pm
  • Fuck you.
    • Philippines
    • Skype - Markpachi
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/-opensource-mps-psds-stages-and-resources-please-put-them-good-use-172321.0.html
- Should not be a lame rip-off of Reu's characters and/or PotS' characters
- If a current character in one's roster already exists, it can replace the current character as long as it's better
- Shouldn't be another "OROCHI, GOD, EVIL, ULTRA, ETC." character, I hate it when I see that
- No chibi characters (I never really liked that)
- If it's Original, test it first. If it's crap, then it's off to the Recycle bin

Your criteria for character keepers?
Maybe you should cover more ground like ... "Your criteria for stage, character, screenpack, lifebars, etc. keeper".

Rest in peace, Tamez. Thank you for everything.
#4  June 07, 2012, 01:33:54 pm
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Cybaster pretty much summed up mine and probably most others response in one sentence.

I do tend to give some leniency to characters made from shows and games that are not naturally fighting games.  The idea behind Mugen is a fighting engine that lets you put whoever you want into it, no?  I shouldn't restrict myself to perfection and perfection only.  Some in my roster have their flaws and such aspects that would make them "broken", but they're enjoyable nonetheless.

Now, before anyone mistakes what I mean by that.....that should not mean creators should only leave a half-worked on character, just because it's something obscure to the fighting genre.  I do not want a character that's made just so you can have that face in there, and that's it.
Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 09:19:52 pm by Llong Jjohn Killer
#5  June 07, 2012, 01:38:41 pm
  • Know your place Imbecile
    • Philippines
#6  June 07, 2012, 04:16:27 pm
    • Canada
    • www.mugencoder.com
Depends on the fighting style and the style of sprites, its usually a specific gameplay that attracts me the most with the quality of sprites. Anything that is a knockoff would be fine if it is done properly.
#7  June 07, 2012, 04:32:12 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
stray pixels
#8  June 07, 2012, 04:45:38 pm
    • Hungary
    • seravy.x10.mx/Wordpress
-Needs to have 1.0 scaled difficulty AI with reasonably set difficulty levels close enough to the other characters I have...if it lacks one and I like the character, I might make the AI myself when I have time.
-No bugs.
-Reasonable damage output.
#9  June 07, 2012, 04:51:49 pm
    • UK
    • strides2glory.com/
anything that amazes and inspires me like bugya's work...rare occurance though.
That guy never ceases to blow me away.
Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 04:55:41 pm by LM_MAVERIK
#10  June 07, 2012, 05:26:16 pm
    • Philippines
    • https://web.archive.org/web/20181226221429/http://moogen.piiym.net/
If a character is fun to play as. That's it.
#11  June 07, 2012, 06:39:12 pm
  • Unity of Hearts
    • Spain
I like them, they work well, and are originals or edits (aka a character with a complete different gameplay).
#12  June 07, 2012, 06:41:16 pm
  • Hick-spanic
  • the dawn away
    • Puerto Rico
Cybaster pretty much summed up mine and probably most others response in on sentence.

I do tend to give some leniency to characters made from shows and games that are not naturally fighting games.  The idea behind Mugen is a fighting engine that lets you put whoever you want into it, no?  I shouldn't restrict myself to perfection and perfection only.  Some in my roster have their flaws and such aspects that would make them "broken", but they're enjoyable nonetheless.

Now, before anyone mistakes what I mean by that.....that should not mean creators should only leave a half-worked on character, just because it's something obscure to the fighting genre.  I do not want a character that's made just so you can have that face in there, and that's it.
This
might as well shill: https://twitter.com/FraudKrew
the streams are here: https://www.twitch.tv/robotboombox
#13  June 07, 2012, 06:55:20 pm
  • I am hilarious
  • and you will quote everything I say
    • USA

DW

#14  June 07, 2012, 07:21:52 pm
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
I don't like broken/buggy chars. I can understand it for a beta release, but if months or even a year or two has gone by, and the same problems are still there, it has to go. I shy away from certain chars out of personal preference, though not because they are coded poorly or anything. (I.E. Chibi chars, cartoon chars, along those lines.) So, I agree with the simple answers. Just fun, well balanced chars. With no bugs, extreme damage values, unfair/broken advantages. Back when I first got into MUGEN in 07', my standards for chars wasn't very high. I was easily "wowed" by things I saw, because MUGEN was new and had me awestruck. Now, being a coder myself(to a degree ;P), I see the broken bugs right away in chars if they so have them. I just can't stand cheap/broken chars. It really takes the fun out MUGEN for me having those chars in my roster.
#15  June 08, 2012, 02:56:37 am
I have different MUGENs for different types of chars, the one I play the most is the CvS MUGEN, so most of the time I look for CvS characters. Just needs to be balanced, have a little more depth than meets the eye and plays like it should.
#16  June 08, 2012, 09:27:12 am
  • For honor!
My criteria has 2 main factors

Does it not suck?
==============
Sure I'll keep it if it's from a game I'm familiar with in some way shape or form and like the game in some way shape or form.

Does it suck?
==============
Sure I'll keep it only if it hilariously sucks. Like Riot Ken or Obese Cheese Boy.
Iroha stripped for me
#17  June 08, 2012, 10:48:51 am
    • Thailand
If a character's velocities, hit velocities, and hit pauses are stupid, then I don't like the character.
#18  June 08, 2012, 12:51:35 pm
  • Koi.
    • USA
    • Skype - Wizzy.WhipitWonderful
    • wizzywhipitwonderful.webs.com
a character that just plays great all around, like Pots' Ryu or Cy & Balthy's Goku.
Slow and steady wins the race, but there is a darkness... growing inside of me...

And if you provoke it...

I will slay you all.

Donate Here
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=B92JC32FZ5CME
#19  June 08, 2012, 10:34:57 pm
  • SNK is life
For a character to be in my roster, it has to be KOF by Ironmugen, OrochiKOF97, Scal, Vans, KoopaKoot, Thedge, Sander, Rolento (Reiji) and Helios (Ash)! Other than that, I might have all existing KOF characters at least once to use their sprites as a base for edits, but they're not active in my roster.

Absolutely nothing Marvel related, except for Zvitor's Xmen Second Coming full game.

CVS? Only a handful, probably by POTS. And some of Sean Altly's stuff because I'm curious about the sprite edits. I will download Jmorphman's Guile one day because Guile is cool, and Rajaa's Rogue just for the sprite edits.
Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 10:42:30 pm by [Isaac]
#20  June 08, 2012, 11:27:26 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
For a character to be in my roster, it has to be KOF by Ironmugen, OrochiKOF97, Scal, Vans, KoopaKoot, Thedge, Sander, Rolento (Reiji) and Helios (Ash)! Other than that, I might have all existing KOF characters at least once to use their sprites as a base for edits, but they're not active in my roster.

Absolutely nothing Marvel related, except for Zvitor's Xmen Second Coming full game.

CVS? Only a handful, probably by POTS. And some of Sean Altly's stuff because I'm curious about the sprite edits. I will download Jmorphman's Guile one day because Guile is cool, and Rajaa's Rogue just for the sprite edits.

sounds a lot like mine, you just have to add random emale characters to the list.