YesNoOk

CPS2 In Depth Study in Progress + random test stuff. (Read 6093 times)

Started by Rolento, March 03, 2011, 01:32:09 am
CPS2 In Depth Study in Progress + random test stuff.
#1  March 03, 2011, 01:32:09 am
  • Figuring things out, one sprite at a time.
    • irwt.iammanyninjas.com
http://irwt.smeenet.org/sprite-cps2.html

Currently writing up a study based around the art style used within Capcom's older arcade titles that made use of the CPS2 hardware. While I've still more to write about, I have come across an interesting pattern present in the in game palettes of these titles and jotted down some pointers to keep in mind when trying to emulate the style.

I'm also putting these findings to the test by creating some scratch work that follows the general rules found to see how well you can make something blend in. With that thought in mind, I actually took a character design that WildTengu pointed me out to who knows how long ago and made it as using the various things I learned, along with a version of her on a diet for my own amusement. Hah!

As for the general conclusions I've come to, here's a Coles notes version which are not quite as obvious as the usual things like there being a 16 color limit:
- Color usage in these games are far from random. RGB values of all colors are multiples of 16 as long as they are not zero.
- Speaking of zero values, Capcom shys away against using pure black entries. Rather than 0,0,0, they usually use 16,16,16 or 8,8,8.
- Light source is around a 45 degree angle above and in front. Light source favors things which are closer to the viewer, with items further away getting less brightness.
- Linework is key with many of the lines drawn in the original sketches being present in the final frames, although these lines are broken up between 2 shades usually to prevent one very long sequence of pixels using the same color.
- Unless you are E. Honda or a cameo, no fat people in the Capcom universe at this time. Rufus doesn't count, as he has only appeared in 3D titles.
- Speaking of Honda's sizable gut, it appears to defy usual rules as it is kept mostly in shadows even in frames where it should be exposed clearly to the light source. Curious exception?
- Blackheart's sprites are also a complete exception to the usual rules mostly to better emulate his appearance in the comics. Curiously enough, the purplish back lit shading will appear again to some extent within the CPS3 era...
Re: CPS2 In Depth Study in Progress + random test stuff.
#2  March 03, 2011, 03:08:26 am
    • USA
Nice work, it's a very interesting read. And about this (from the Proportion Breakdown section):

"I came across a set of scanned pages from an unknown art book that contained lineart to sprite comparisons from SFZ and DS games."

Both the Adon and Guy scans are from the Street Fighter Alpha 2 Official Strategy Guide, released by Versus Books.  :)
#3  March 03, 2011, 03:45:06 am
Great read, rolento! I can't believe how all the palettes are multiples of 16... That would explain why my sprites are lacking that cps2 color theme. A very interesting article and I look forward to seeing your cps2 sprites as well as a cps3 study( my favourite style) :)
#4  March 04, 2011, 06:46:40 am
    • irwt.iammanyninjas.com

Take 1 on this revised stance and look. Scratch work with the exception of the feet; the build up to this sprite to be used in the review will be using his p2 Z-ISM palette as this p1 version actually has one color reuse within the gi top. Mostly used this palette just for the sake of showing him in his standard colors.
#5  March 04, 2011, 02:36:48 pm
  • Lazy spriter
  • Demon in heaven gotta carry a knife
    • Bolivia
    • network.mugenguild.com/thedge/
Great read, indeed.
That’s when I thought, “good grief”
Just ain’t my belief
Until I saw the holes
Inside his hand
#6  March 10, 2011, 02:53:19 am
    • irwt.iammanyninjas.com
Still working on things in the background, but  after studying up on some line art, I've come up with a general template for Capcom's female body build. Even counting cases where the person has some extra body fat or muscle, it doesn't really deviate much from here:

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Put into spoiler due to nudity; nothing beyond what Capcom artists themselves include within their work. Will be working on a male equivalent, and likely sketching up some examples of how Capcom deviates from these general norms on occasion. (By deviations, I refer to things such as how Capcom modifies the body for their archtypes of wrestlers, older fighters, and the rare fat person they include in games.)
#7  March 10, 2011, 03:12:58 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
Yep, that looks right. For guys I don't think it will be so easy since there's no "one" template for them, but I want to say I remember seeing Balrog/Vega (claw) as the base body type.

Of course, Boxer, Dictator, Pyron and to an extent Honda and Zangief have similar base. Wolverine's is also more in alignment with those proportions... so that may be the base.
#8  March 10, 2011, 03:27:27 am
  • A frame here, a pixel there.
From what I've seen investigating Vampire Savior, The CPS2's palette definitions devote one nibble (0-F, or 0-15) to each channel, so you are right about it being in multiples of 16 when converted to the modern standard of one byte per channel.
#9  March 10, 2011, 09:06:43 pm
    • irwt.iammanyninjas.com
Felineki: That would explain a bit.

Alternate take on a rubbery person that Diepod designed. Think I made her a little on the short side, but the pose I went with might be throwing me off. Also, I may need to make an animated taunt out of this based off some of the stuff sketched over at Diepod's DA page. :P

Currently drawing up a number of Capcom's female cast over the template and finding that I have to change surprisingly little to make it fit. Spoilered for the same reasons as the last one. It's basically just some scale work and adjusting the bust for the most part.
#10  March 10, 2011, 10:52:48 pm
  • Bringing her back
    • USA
    • hiivolt-07.deviantart.com/
Hahah  ;D I like that one.

You gotta do the on at the bottom right!!!
Spriting is hard.
Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 11:09:43 pm by Diepod
#11  March 11, 2011, 02:32:09 am
    • irwt.iammanyninjas.com

The Spider-Bubble has been borrowed.
#12  March 11, 2011, 06:12:05 am
  • Bringing her back
    • USA
Thank you.  :sugoi:
Spriting is hard.
#13  March 11, 2011, 06:21:44 am
    • irwt.iammanyninjas.com

Okay, seriously last frame for the night.
#14  March 11, 2011, 06:25:59 am
  • Bringing her back
    • USA
Damn.
Spriting is hard.
#15  March 11, 2011, 01:13:49 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
#16  March 12, 2011, 08:13:48 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
You'd better define how high the hands have to be then.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#17  March 13, 2011, 07:48:07 am
  • EL FUCKO GRANDE
  • I'm back, nerds
    • Canada

Hullo there~
#18  March 13, 2011, 11:44:39 am
    • Netherlands
    • network.mugenguild.com/balthazar/index.html
You'd better define how high the hands have to be then.

There  ::) Goku's hands are between 52 and 68 pixels high from his feet position, so i guess anything between 50 and 70 pixels high will suffice :)
#19  March 13, 2011, 03:37:07 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Taller characters need to be leaning down for this, shorter characters leaning up. Its based of one of the genesis butoden systems.
Im actually curious of seeing taller and shorter characters with this.
#20  March 13, 2011, 05:22:19 pm
    • irwt.iammanyninjas.com
Shwa: The lines on the head look a little busy still, but it appears you got the light source for that frame figured out.
Balthazar: Noted. Might want to throw that into the GokuZ2 topic if you haven't already. Hah.
#21  March 13, 2011, 06:12:12 pm
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
What about Roll?
#22  March 14, 2011, 05:42:53 pm
The general base hasn't changed much over the years.

#23  April 27, 2011, 10:59:40 pm
    • irwt.iammanyninjas.com
Now that I remember that I had actually started this topic earlier, I have a few minor updates to make of the sample character being used for the study:
A little stance here...
A little crouching there...
... and this one really explains itself. Also, Kuribo's Shoe will happen.
#24  April 27, 2011, 11:16:30 pm
  • Bringing her back
    • USA
Spriting is hard.
#25  April 27, 2011, 11:18:04 pm
    • irwt.iammanyninjas.com
No, but it is probably a command basic of some sort. Stands out a bit more than a dive kick, don't you think?
#26  April 27, 2011, 11:29:19 pm
  • Bringing her back
    • USA
definitely
Spriting is hard.
#27  April 28, 2011, 02:32:09 am
    • irwt.iammanyninjas.com
Okay, after some thought she definitely needs a Mario hat of some sort to complete that and the related animations. Also been looking at some Maximum Carnage, Seperation Anxiety, and Battletoads of all things for some ideas.  Going to have some fun here...

Not a sprite, but eh. Start up for a winquote image maybe? (Forgot to scale down that back shoulder, crap.)

Also some random sketches trying to think of the eventual launcher animation. Also, didn't notice that the forum scaled down the images for previewing. Click for full size.
Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 05:48:27 am by Rolento
#28  April 28, 2011, 06:08:38 am
  • Bringing her back
    • USA
like the ass and the punch.

Love the shoe.
Spriting is hard.
Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 05:46:15 pm by Diepod
#29  April 28, 2011, 07:30:51 am
    • Edtion.TK
*Saved*  :)

Bea

#30  April 29, 2011, 02:23:28 pm
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org
The Kuribo boot is looking awesome! It will certainly be beyond awesome when done.  :D

Loving those sketches. :)
Princess Adora: "My friend saw She-Ra take her dress off in the shower. She said she has an 8 pack. She said She-Ra is shredded."

SF2NES is dead. Long live SF2NES.