YesNoOk

duke nukem forever trailer tomorrow (Read 7127 times)

Started by Titiln, December 19, 2007, 01:18:31 am
Share this topic:
Re: duke nukem forever trailer tomorrow
#21  December 20, 2007, 01:41:25 am
  • Garbage Day!

GamerTag: Meatball01
#22  December 20, 2007, 01:59:52 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
the current generation of hardware is still pretty weak when it comes to the gameplay/gfx compromise; considering the fact that a lot of stuff in duke can be destroyed, that would mean sacrificing some of the gfx in favor of gameplay. just like doa4 sacrifices gfx in comparison to doax2, even though both run on the "same " engine and hardware.
#23  December 20, 2007, 02:00:51 am
  • Never give up
Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 02:05:25 am by anthonygamer
#24  December 20, 2007, 02:37:22 am
Besides Style > Graphics.
What style? It's just normal mapping. One of the first games to use normal mapping was released in 2004. :blank:

Exactly.  What style?  There is NOTHING unique about it. Sure it looks FINE but not GOOD like it should for a new game after all this time.   Doom 3, Quake 4, and F.E.A.R. all have this SAME look.  The monsters aren't even funny looking anymore its just stock scifi.  But don't get me wrong I always bet on the Duke.

the current generation of hardware is still pretty weak when it comes to the gameplay/gfx compromise; considering the fact that a lot of stuff in duke can be destroyed, that would mean sacrificing some of the gfx in favor of gameplay. just like doa4 sacrifices gfx in comparison to doax2, even though both run on the "same " engine and hardware.

They've had 10 years on this game.  There is no room for excuses.  Unless this game offers interaction unseen in a FPS like they promised(Good luck with that with Half Life 2 and the bunch out already) there's no reason to look like Doom 3.
#25  December 20, 2007, 04:53:19 am
  • Master of the palm and foot.
    • randomselect.piiym-net.com/
Let's review one very important fact: while you're working on a game, technology changes, advances, etc. The longer you take, the more you're going to have to gut what you have, redo it with a modified engine, and proceed to keep up. That's basic common sense. And these guys have been at it 10 years, so that's a lot of having to do that: look how much technology has changed over that period of time?

Whatever, don't mind me. I'm the kind of guy still pleased with a simple gameboy game if I can at least properly have fun with it.
#26  December 20, 2007, 05:03:28 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico

They've had 10 years on this game.  There is no room for excuses.  Unless this game offers interaction unseen in a FPS like they promised(Good luck with that with Half Life 2 and the bunch out already) there's no reason to look like Doom 3.

how is your reply related to my post at all ?
#27  December 20, 2007, 05:07:07 am
Current hardware can do anything Duke can throw at it.  Especially if they plan for it to look like anything like in the teaser. 
#28  December 20, 2007, 05:13:08 am
  • Never give up
Current hardware can do anything Duke can throw at it.  Especially if they plan for it to look like anything like in the teaser. 
True.

I almost fell out of my chair when I read E's post. "current generation of hardware is still pretty weak". lol! :smile:
#29  December 20, 2007, 05:16:13 am
  • ~Cry Havoc And Let Loose The Dogs Of War~
A new duke? damn it's been a long time I must say - I remember playing the first duke nukem in highschool (you know when it was a side scroller) I did like Duke 3d, and from the look of the teaser it looks much better than the duke of old I hope background objects are destoryable without sacr. too much in graphical goodness (okay I was going to say quailty but I think I splet it wong)
When you know a thing, to hold that you know it; and when you do not know a thing, to allow that you do not know it - this is knowledge.
Confucius
#30  December 20, 2007, 05:16:13 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
current hardware is not as strong as the companies selling it make it look like. read on some interviews/articles made by the guys who make them and you will notice the ones tha push on technology and gfx complain about lack fo power. like tomonobu itagaki complains on not being able to put a good amount of character with detailed models on his games. he even proves it in doax2, as the detail in teh individual scenes is much higher than the detail on the 2vs2 volleyball ones. or the way eh had to model hair and clothes, as the current gen hardware is unable to do proper physics for them.

[EDIT]
"lol" ? have you even coded a 3d engine ?
#31  December 20, 2007, 05:22:10 am
Technically, it is.

To really take full potential of, say, a PS3's hardware, you'll need to be working on a game for it specifically for years. That's one thing you hear a lot from game companies when the "next-gen" console hits: they were just getting used to the last one.

It isn't a simple matter of stepping from one floor to the next. Exploits are removed, others added; methods of dealing with the hardware can change pretty drastically, even though it's still the same company making the system. And if you've been programming for one console for awhile, well you do the math.

Additionally, when you see strengths pop up in one field, gotta think that they'll probably go down in another. You see games with realistic looking basketball players shown, but where's that in the game? It isn't. The models are still pretty much the same ones, just a little improved. If they did include all those models on the field at once at that level of detail, you'd easily expect slowdown.
#32  December 20, 2007, 05:22:56 am
That's puny console ware.  I'm talking manly man hardware on PC with lots of doubling and quading.
#33  December 20, 2007, 05:26:05 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
your point being ?
#34  December 20, 2007, 05:27:38 am
You mean make it like some games where most PC owners can't actually run the game?

And too, they're obviously planning a console release: how well do you think a console ver that looks weaker than its PC counterpart ever goes over?
#35  December 20, 2007, 05:31:54 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
even with doubling and quading the hardware is puny when it comes to big graphical tasks, why do you think good quality renders still take hours ?
#36  December 20, 2007, 05:33:27 am
You mean make it like some games where most PC owners can't actually run the game?

And too, they're obviously planning a console release: how well do you think a console ver that looks weaker than its PC counterpart ever goes over?
Specs hurting sells stop happening when the first Quake came out. Furthermore most console ports are GROSSLY inferior to their PC counterparts and it never hurt them before.
#37  December 20, 2007, 05:35:00 am
  • Never give up
Looking at that gametrailers page, this game is for the PC and XBOX360.  The last time I checked, games that were ported from the PC to the XBOX360 have always looked good.
#38  December 20, 2007, 05:36:12 am
ah duke nukem its been a long time since i played duke nukem zero hour (its for nintendo64) and duke nukem advance (its for gameboy advance) i played em since 2000 maybe.  ah such good killings i beat both games along time man in zero hour the game has ZOMBIES in it but fake faces
kakarot kakarot KAKAROTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
#39  December 20, 2007, 05:38:17 am
Furthermore most console ports are GROSSLY inferior to their PC counterparts and it never hurt them before.

Yeah, nobody complained about console versions of F.E.A.R. and others before.

Wait...

The last time I checked, games that were ported from the PC to the XBOX360 have always looked good.

Name which games then are on that pedestal you seem to be putting this one on?
#40  December 20, 2007, 05:41:29 am