YesNoOk

bombing at dark knight rises. (Read 38895 times)

Started by Iced, July 20, 2012, 11:11:07 am
Share this topic:
Re: bombing at dark knight rises.
#701  August 06, 2012, 03:51:44 pm
- Let's say they could have alerted the authorities. What about it then ? The police can't take the guns Holmes acquired, since he did it legally. They can't arrest him for a crime he didn't commit (yet), this is not Minority Report.
Surveillance is possible, I'm pretty sure they do that for people suspected of having links to terrorism. Even if we were to accept that selling a grenade launcher to any civilian is okay, buying four weapons like that should definitely put you on someone's watchlist. This surveillance and "catching him on the moment he's just about to commit his act of terrorism" is definitely something that exists already.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#702  August 06, 2012, 03:55:07 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
You know how much money and time that would take? Especially in a country where everyone's scared of everyone, where lawsuits are constantly thrown around like tomorrow won't come, etc. Too many of those checks and subsequent "investigations" would amount to non-issues and would result in watsed time. The government(s) as some point just said to itself, we have to let it go because 'we can't patrol everything' (even if strict gun control was mandated).

I assumed all of those are already tracked!!! >:| Wtf, why wouldnt those things be tracked for all the reasons ive said.

Val, you mean to tell me you have no social security id or citizen id?

hjk

#703  August 06, 2012, 04:01:31 pm
  • Watch my fro grow as you go, go, go, go, go.
    • Afghanistan
- Let's say they could have alerted the authorities. What about it then ? The police can't take the guns Holmes acquired, since he did it legally. They can't arrest him for a crime he didn't commit (yet), this is not Minority Report.
Surveillance is possible, I'm pretty sure they do that for people suspected of having links to terrorism. Even if we were to accept that selling a grenade launcher to any civilian is okay, buying four weapons like that should definitely put you on someone's watchlist. This surveillance and "catching him on the moment he's just about to commit his act of terrorism" is definitely something that exists already.
Not necessarily. There are many people who anyone could suspect of having links to terrorist organizations who simply can't be surveyed because the resources aren't available.
It's even harder to police someone like Holmes because there are thousands if not millions of general civilians who share his story. There are just too many people to scout if you were to arbitrarily say, "survey them" and call the problem solved.

I assumed all of those are already tracked!!! >:| Wtf, why wouldnt those things be tracked for all the reasons ive said.
The reason why is because there are simply too many people to be tracked in that case. In my High School, by my graduating year, teachers and students had made complaints about at least 60 kids that they thought would be "school shooters" and to everyone's surprise (not mine, but many of us) none of them actually did anything - I live in the 3rd richest county of the US, btw. People in this country are just way too paranoid.
LOL, Caddie's the man!! ;)

I'm as real as the runnin, I just happen to rap, Nigaas London, Japan, and i'm scared of dat tap.

I suggest extending my banning, cuz when I come back, it's gonna be hell. You think I was annoying before, oh man, it's on now :)
hjk vs. 99% of MFG. I will win.

RIP Poo Bear Tell my Dead Homie isson, for the year my partner.
#704  August 06, 2012, 04:07:58 pm
Not necessarily. There are many people who anyone could suspect of having links to terrorist organizations who simply can't be surveyed because the resources aren't available.
That becomes a different matter altogether, then - resources. It doesn't mean we should just give up because we can't do it.
It's even harder to police someone like Holmes because there are thousands if not millions of general civilians who share his story.
There are millions of people who buy a shotgun, an assault rifle, and a grenade launcher, with a psychiatrist who can see they're preparing something like that ? That only sounds like this is the problem. Unless it's fixed, cases like Holmes will never have a solution, and we can't lament about it, just say "well what did you expect" until we finally decide that's enough.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.

hjk

#705  August 06, 2012, 04:17:36 pm
    • Afghanistan
That becomes a different matter altogether, then - resources. It doesn't mean we should just give up because we can't do it.
I'd love to think so too, but over the years I've just had to come to accept that sometimes it really is impossible - or maybe not impossible, but extremely hard to control.

It's even harder to police someone like Holmes because there are thousands if not millions of general civilians who share his story.
There are millions of people who buy a shotgun, an assault rifle, and a grenade launcher, with a psychiatrist who can see they're preparing something like that ? That only sounds like this is the problem. Unless it's fixed, cases like Holmes will never have a solution, and we can't lament about it, just say "well what did you expect" until we finally decide that's enough.
About the psychiatrist being able to see that he was planning this... people say things like this all the time, that doesn't necessarily mean they'll do it. The psychiatrist might even have reported it to the cops, chances are he would have been interrogated and let go anyway.
And don't get this wrong, psychiatry is like a fad here. So many people go into those offices and say whatever. The psychiatrist really can't tell whether or not you'll do something. even if you say it, because the extremity of words is so common here (especially in psychiatrical offices) that it is barely ever taken seriously. Most times it's just regarded as "honest venting."

I'm as real as the runnin, I just happen to rap, Nigaas London, Japan, and i'm scared of dat tap.

I suggest extending my banning, cuz when I come back, it's gonna be hell. You think I was annoying before, oh man, it's on now :)

Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 04:23:17 pm by len1231234
#706  August 06, 2012, 04:21:59 pm
    • Thailand
Four handguns, maybe. But what about a shotgun, an assault rifle, smoke grenades and whatever else he had ? The guy bought four assault-grade heavy weapons. How is that alone not a high enough level of suspicion ?
I don't know. Wherever he bought them probably had a bunch of people come and do the same without hearing about a mass murder from 4 months later. Your guess is as good as mine.

The simple fact is that psychos are unpredictable.
If the psychiatrists he was seeing actually noticed that he was preparing those things, doesn't that say it was actually predictable ?
If his psychiatrist thought he might be a threat to others or himself, she had the legal right and moral obligation to let other people know, and apparently she did just that. But she couldn't have predicted his specific machinations because he sent the details to her ON the day of the attack. Not 4 months earlier.

Maybe it isn't always so, maybe psychos aren't always followed by a psychiatrist. But even if you can't account for all the psychos, there are those you can see (and you actually do see), so what about them ?
Psychos who are accounted for wouldn't be allowed to buy weapons. Holmes's psychiatric treatment apparently wasn't that formal(?), so a background check was unlikely to bring that up. Unless he had special detectives who dug into his history. Also, there is a doctor patient privilege -- and rightfully so.

#707  August 06, 2012, 04:28:30 pm
About the psychiatrist being able to see that he was planning this... people say things like this all the time, that doesn't necessarily mean they'll do it. The psychiatrist might even have reported it to the cops, chances are he would have been interrogated and let go anyway.
And don't get this wrong, psychiatry is like a fad here. So many people go into those offices and say whatever. The psychiatrist really can't tell whether or not you'll do something. even if you say it, because the extremity of words is so common here (especially in psychiatrical offices) that it is barely ever taken seriously. Most times it's just regarded as "honest venting."
I was more concerned about the whole part where someone can actually buy four weapons like those ones - AND on top of that have a psychiatrist who picks up those tendencies. The psychiatrist bit would be the last step, the last check, especially since it's supposed to be confidential. The selling of those weapons would be the first flag - I'd say it shouldn't even happen. If anyone is concerned about that, then they should speak up, make a group, etc.

Wherever he bought them probably had a bunch of people come and do the same without hearing about a mass murder from 4 months later.
The fourth one to sell him his heavy weapon sold a heavy weapon to someone who already had 3. Why would that gun seller think it was okay ? Because he didn't know Holmes had 3 like that already ? So why did he not know, then ?
Psychos who are accounted for wouldn't be allowed to buy weapons. Holmes's psychiatric treatment apparently wasn't that formal(?), so a background check was unlikely to bring that up.
Background check might not have picked up that he was a psycho, but as I was saying to len, it certainly should have picked up that he had 3 heavy weapons already. Even 2. Hell, that he already had even one assault rifle.
Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 04:48:37 pm by Carpe Diem
#708  August 06, 2012, 04:34:24 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
The reason why is because there are simply too many people to be tracked in that case. In my High School, by my graduating year, teachers and students had made complaints about at least 60 kids that they thought would be "school shooters" and to everyone's surprise (not mine, but many of us) none of them actually did anything - I live in the 3rd richest county of the US, btw. People in this country are just way too paranoid.
Are you talking only about guns, or also about things such as cars ? If you regulate cars, you can also regulate guns at some point, no ?

It shouldn't be too hard to put in place a system where a gun retailer would be able to check the background of the guy who wants to purchase one. And each time a weapon is bought, its ID is sent to a police file.

This sounds contradictory to me (especially for the country spending the most in military defense, one would think you'd regulate your own citizens before the rest of the world) :
Especially in a country where everyone's scared of everyone, where lawsuits are constantly thrown around like tomorrow won't come, etc.
Isn't this usually the motivation for regulation ? When people are so scared of others, isn't this when the government acts as Big Brother ? I'm not saying it's necessarily a good thing. The government should NOT check on every single little thing you do and look into your private life, but controlling things such as houses (do you actually live here), cars (is it actually your car and do you have a license) and guns (do you have the right to carry those) makes sense and is needed to ensure security (and taxes ...) at some point.

Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 04:38:06 pm by Doppelganger
#709  August 06, 2012, 04:56:52 pm
i believe discussion about the amount of guns/type of guns is kind of moot. instead of buying rifles and shotguns he could've just bought two handguns. because two handguns is all you can get with these new theoretical laws. two handguns is all you can get without a deeper background check, without a psychiatrist evaluating you for 5 hours (assuming these are master psychiatrists that guarantee this person will absolutely never, ever malfunction). then he'd be a guy in armor with two handguns surrounded by tear gas. that's still absolutely fucking dangerous. he would've just killed a couple less people. it would still have been a tragedy.

the chris benoit example brought up by len is a good one. this was someone who was considered normal among his peers. when news of his death and his family's death broke they mostly thought it was an accident or someone murdered them. benoit being the muderer never crossed their minds. they even made the show a tribute to him and his career. this is someone that murdered a woman and a child with his bare fucking hands. no guns involved whatsoever.

what i meant by culture (which was a sentence i worded poorly i definitely admit) was just everything surrounding the country. all the other factors that cause crime, gang violence, home violence and suicides. the same factors that affect crime and violence in other countries. it's not just guns.

hjk

#710  August 06, 2012, 04:58:03 pm
    • Afghanistan
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Great post altogether. Yes, the answer to this is that the US is retarded. The lack of a mandate that holds private gun-dealers accountable for failing to perform background checks is beyond me. When things like this happen, I'm often perturbed by the fact that they can get off scot-free by law while facing shit for their negligence. I don't fear for my life, but I think that it would be more comforting to have a law in place that handles this issue to at least keep them in check by some minute measure.

Are you talking only about guns, or also about things such as cars ? If you regulate cars, you can also regulate guns at some point, no ?
It shouldn't be too hard to put in place a system where a gun retailer would be able to check the background of the guy who wants to purchase one. And each time a weapon is bought, its ID is sent to a police file.
This sounds contradictory to me (especially for the country spending the most in military defense, one would think you'd regulate your own citizens before the rest of the world) :
It's easy to have a registry. The truly hard parts would be identifying who belongs in the registry and who does not. You can name thousands of people who are reportedly disturbed, just like Holmes, but knowing whether or not they'll actually do something is a whole 'nother issue. If every single James Holmes were in a registry, then you'd have to face how exactly you'd go about investigating the sheer volume of people who would be in that registry, only to find out that the number would probably be impossible to handle.

Especially in a country where everyone's scared of everyone, where lawsuits are constantly thrown around like tomorrow won't come, etc.
Isn't this usually the motivation for regulation ? When people are so scared of others, isn't this when the government acts as Big Brother ? I'm not saying it's necessarily a good thing. The government should NOT check on every single little thing you do and look into your private life, but controlling things such as houses (do you actually live here), cars (is it actually your car and do you have a license) and guns (do you have the right to carry those) makes sense and is needed to ensure security (and taxes ...) at some point.
It is needed, it most certainly is, but again the point is that because people are so paranoid out here, you'll fill thousands of pages with the amount of people you'll have to investigate and the time, energy, and resources needed to handle these things simply isn't there. And even getting the information to conclusively state that somone "will" do something like this would be even harder to get.
In other words you'll be dealing with "a bugillion" false alarms (where you might even be sure that a person is dangerous yet they turn out not to be) while trying to weed out the ones that really do pose a threat.

Yep. You're absolutely right man.

Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 05:07:16 pm by len1231234
#711  August 06, 2012, 05:07:59 pm
he would've just killed a couple less people. it would still have been a tragedy.
That is true, though it would have been a far smaller problem. Not less of a tragedy, but I admit that there's some point where you just can't regulate it all the way through - much like you can regulate cars and alcohol consumption but that won't stop all alcohol-induced lethal accidents with cars. Yes, at some point, you really can only say "that's life, shit happens". But it would then pass as something that really, really can't be prevented. While the usage of four weapons like those certainly can, and that's absolutely not something you can say "that's life, shit happens" to. You do have to draw a line between what's relatively acceptable (in a "shit happens" way, not that it's less of a tragedy) and what just isn't.
#712  August 06, 2012, 05:11:56 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
i believe discussion about the amount of guns/type of guns is kind of moot. instead of buying rifles and shotguns he could've just bought two handguns. because two handguns is all you can get with these new theoretical laws. two handguns is all you can get without a deeper background check, without a psychiatrist evaluating you for 5 hours (assuming these are master psychiatrists that guarantee this person will absolutely never, ever malfunction). then he'd be a guy in armor with two handguns surrounded by tear gas. that's still absolutely fucking dangerous. he would've just killed a couple less people. it would still have been a tragedy.

Still, reducing the consequences is still good , if 9 peeple die instead of eleven, if the amount of people getting killed by guns is cut in half, that's a good thing, not a worthless thing. I don't really feel like posting seriously in this thread because a lto fo people that I know ahve been killed by guns in the past few years, so take a much as you get.
#713  August 06, 2012, 05:32:48 pm
    • Germany

um, privacy? personal freedom? this ain't 1984 :blank:

I have a social security id, but that's not bound by default to anything else. Even the police would have to ask the judicative before they could do anything (with it. I certainly don't have a "citizen id".
#714  August 06, 2012, 05:42:34 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
You don't have a "national identity card", or even a passport ?
Your country doesn't know which car(s) you own, if any ? They don't know if you have a driving license ? They don't know where you live (or at least have a legal address) ? They don't know how much you earn (to know how many taxes you should pay) ?
#715  August 06, 2012, 05:45:33 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
if you honestly believe your id cards arent used to track you up , i dunno what to tell you, and no, i dont think this is a big 1984 big brother kind of thing, its just normal tracking where they have you ided .
In the same vein most ocuntries have social id, birth cedule, etc. You cant have a population where people go unnacounted for, too much potential for people being abused.

We have BI number, social id, police records and drivers ID. in case we have a gun we have gun permits.
#716  August 06, 2012, 05:47:13 pm
my id card.
#717  August 06, 2012, 07:59:14 pm
    • Germany
if you honestly believe your id cards arent used to track you up , i dunno what to tell you, and no, i dont think this is a big 1984 big brother kind of thing, its just normal tracking where they have you ided .

my social security number is used for social security stuff, my driver's license is used to check if I'm allowed to drive. the only ones who can cross-reference those are the police, and then it's a manual process and needs to be permitted by a judge.
Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 08:02:26 pm by Valodim
#718  August 06, 2012, 08:20:58 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
in germany, do thye ask you for your social security number when you get a job ? what about birth certificates ?

here we even have specific ids, suchs as a fiscal code, unique pupulation record (linked to your cell phone number), adult id, etc...
#719  August 06, 2012, 08:29:51 pm
    • Germany
in germany, do thye ask you for your social security number when you get a job ? what about birth certificates ?

former yes, second not sure but I don't think an employee is legally obliged to show his birth certificate to an employer
#720  August 06, 2012, 11:04:39 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico