Started by Jmorphman, September 05, 2014, 10:55:46 am
Share this topic:
Fast food strikes
#1  September 05, 2014, 10:55:46 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Thousands of fast food workers across the country were on strike yesterday, conducting sit-ins and marches outside restaurants protesting their low wages; these protests have resulted in hundreds of people being arrested for civil disobedience.

People just can't live on those wages, not without working a second (and sometimes even third) jobs, and even then that still doesn't cover their basic needs and necessities. Meanwhile, these fast food companies are raking in money hand over fist, while complaining that raising wages would be cost prohibitive. Any and all attempts by Obama and/or legislative attempts at raising the federal minimum wage have been dismantedled by Republicans and business lobby groups. And thus, the strikes.

Spoiler: B-B-B-B-B-OOOOONNNNNUUUUUUS-S-S-S-S-S-S (click to see content)
Re: Fast food strikes
#2  September 05, 2014, 12:02:56 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
If you pay them too much they might get uppity and revolt.
#3  September 05, 2014, 12:09:37 pm
  • Busy, busy, busy
    • www.trinitymugen.net/forum/index.php
If you cant afford a raise, then you definitely cant afford to lose large chunks of your workers. Unless, of course, you intend to use those chunks for your mystery meat. Same concept for walmart, though it supports a min wage increase since most of the workers shop there and it would benefit them overall. They cant do it unless forced to for max profit reasons though

-
http://www.Trinitymugen.net/Hosted/CFJ2/
-
thanks again Vans/Jesuszilla!
#4  September 05, 2014, 01:40:30 pm
Yay, I get to complain about my rl problems.

I'm feeling it; I'm in the process of finding a second job to help my family. I'm "homeless" technically speaking (temporarily live with my parents friend with no formal address of my own). Cost of living is too high; my lone job doesn't cover the kind of expenses to live in a residence of my own. It's a relatively shitty situation.

Might get shit for this one (understandably so), but I actually do support the idea of not raising the minimum wage (at least not to the degree that having a job that pretty much anyone can get means you can make a decent living). Where I work (grocery store/supermarket), too many people try to get over without doing any real work and half-assing their job (and I'm in one of the higher-end supermarkets). This is what I did back in my time in school; can't say I don't deserve to be in the situation I'm in. I'm a much harder worker than I used to be and embrace the challenge of being man enough to work 50-60 hours to get shit done (because that imo is the true measure of a man). I'd hate to know that someone who puts half as much effort would be able to live with the same kind of comfort. Of course this doesn't get into people who have a financial partner (girlfriend/wife, roommate, parent, etc) who would naturally have it a bit easier.

Sounds unemphatic, somewhat shitty, and borderline "republican," but people need to learn that the good things in life are obtained by those who work for them. Some people never do unfortunately.
Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 01:46:58 pm by Niitris
#5  September 05, 2014, 01:50:09 pm
If you cant afford a raise, then you definitely cant afford to lose large chunks of your workers.
Except losing workers can be fixed by hiring more workers, since you can pretty much pick anyone off the street to do that job.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#6  September 05, 2014, 02:15:08 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
at the mcdonalds i worked at you im pretty sure you got fired for even mentioning union activities or strikes

yeah anyone can do it, that doesnt mean people dont deserve more for it. its hard, hard, hard fucking work, its stressful as hell. the pressures during a busy night is enough to make you want to jump out a window. thats behind and in front of the grill. if youre working front counter or the drive through booths you pretty much have to deal with societys worst at a breakneck pace. youre the one who gets yelled at for most fuckups regardless of whether you have done it. and behind the grill the work is so frantic and constant even the most experienced crew trainers and managers get exhausted and frustrated. and cleaning and maintenance? that shit deserves 15 dollars an hour. you try cleaning a mcdonalds to company standards and youll see.
#7  September 05, 2014, 02:23:02 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Wouldn't increasing minimum wages raise prices anyway and thus not fix a thing?
#8  September 05, 2014, 02:29:43 pm
  • #1 Boss Lady
    • UK
Increasing minimum wage in general would cause fluctuations in the American economy. And for that matter, the world's economy since they're such powerhouses. Plus that would fuck with small businesses.

A better solution is a relative minimum based on income. McDonald's can definitely afford to pay more money than their disgusting current wages.
#9  September 05, 2014, 02:31:26 pm
    • USA
    • twitter.com/inktrebuchet
exactly!

These jobs are not meant to be careers. These jobs are meant for young people to use them as a stepping stone to better things.

#10  September 05, 2014, 02:56:08 pm
yeah anyone can do it, that doesnt mean people dont deserve more for it. its hard, hard, hard fucking work, its stressful as hell. the pressures during a busy night is enough to make you want to jump out a window. thats behind and in front of the grill. if youre working front counter or the drive through booths you pretty much have to deal with societys worst at a breakneck pace. youre the one who gets yelled at for most fuckups regardless of whether you have done it. and behind the grill the work is so frantic and constant even the most experienced crew trainers and managers get exhausted and frustrated. and cleaning and maintenance? that shit deserves 15 dollars an hour. you try cleaning a mcdonalds to company standards and youll see.

Yeah, working at mcd's is fuckin awful (didn't you say something about living in nyc some time ago, holy shit i know that feeling). 15's a bit of a stretch (although again cost of living), but certainly deserves more than 7.25 (federal min wage).

I guess what doesn't help is the minimal qualifications it takes to perform the tasks, resulting in the horrid pay. Easier to give crap wages when workers are easily expendable. Even so, I guess it's one of those things where those the lower class have to make due with what they're able to. Elephants ruling the house doesn't help any.

More personal stuff, my plan is to work enough to get a residence obviously and then a car so that I can find work in a wider location radius that would likely pay more. Gotta go through the bullshit grinder first to get there however, tih.
#11  September 05, 2014, 03:00:51 pm
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
at the mcdonalds i worked at you im pretty sure you got fired for even mentioning union activities or strikes

I completely agree with is. I worked a McDonald's for a year and half before actually getting a decent job. You have to have done it before you can criticize. Some jobs that pay a lot more and workers doing absolutely nothing. Let's take any management position. Most people are fucking morons in this position who just got in through nepotism. Others work their way up. Besides telling people what to do and maybe filing a few forms every now and again (yes, I'm generalizing the process...), it's a cake-walk compared to what you have to go through in a retail position, let alone a fast-food position.

-[Все слова это только слова.]-
#12  September 05, 2014, 03:04:20 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
exactly!

These jobs are not meant to be careers. These jobs are meant for young people to use them as a stepping stone to better things.

But in the current economy those jobs end up being all some people can attain, should they be forced to go homeless just because they are at the lowest rank? If you pull in a work shift you deserve to get paid, we are not talking about people that are just coasting through by sitting at mcds instead of wanting something better, we are talking about people that cant get better things.

its like asking "why dont the ethiopians just move to america for a better life?" Thats not a option sometimes.
#13  September 05, 2014, 03:05:56 pm
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
I'm pretty sure the jobs are there to keep the business afloat and nothing more.

#14  September 05, 2014, 03:11:17 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
But in the current economy those jobs end up being all some people can attain, should they be forced to go homeless just because they are at the lowest rank? If you pull in a work shift you deserve to get paid, we are not talking about people that are just coasting through by sitting at mcds instead of wanting something better, we are talking about people that cant get better things.

its like asking "why dont the ethiopians just move to america for a better life?" Thats not a option sometimes.

By increasing minimum wage you make it so more people will end up like you are saying. Increasing minimum wage would increase all prices. Jobs that paid more would not get the increased salary. So someone making $15 an hour now would be making minimum wage.

If prices stayed the same this would be great. But prices for everything would increase drastically because the corporations will not want to lose money.
The value of the dollar would decrease.

Now having these places volunteer to pay more would be a better idea. They can afford it. But forcing a higher minimum wage will only hurt everything.
#15  September 05, 2014, 03:17:49 pm
    • USA
Do you guys think they are doing hard work that deserves more pay or are you thinking the company makes so much money they can give a little more?

Just because someone is down on their luck doesn't mean they should get a little more pay. Thats bad business.

Raising minimum wage just makes the company raise prices to compensate for the extra dollar they are handing out. It doesn't solve anything, it's a pointless battle. what JNP said. :P

I'm pretty sure the jobs are there to keep the business afloat and nothing more.

You're pretty sure... whats your point?

Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 03:23:43 pm by ink
#16  September 05, 2014, 03:24:19 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Minimum wages should be hold in accordance to the place they are aimed at, if someone cant sustain themselves on minimum wage, its not a minimum wage! Thats the whole point of having a minimum wage to begin with.
#17  September 05, 2014, 03:30:24 pm
Do you guys think they are doing hard work that deserves more pay or are you thinking the company makes so much money they can give a little more?

Both (even if my first post seems to contradict the former).

For the first point, it's fair to say everything is more expensive than it used to be. For wages to be stagnant would be inconsistent and economically detrimental for citizens (and eventually, business owners).

For the second, these are billion dollar corporations; I'm sure one extra dollar won't cripple them (for the record, minimum wage in some states is in the 8-9 dollar range).

edit: i know not everyone is a citizen but that's besides the point.
Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 03:37:16 pm by Niitris
#18  September 05, 2014, 03:30:56 pm
    • USA
Minimum wages should be hold in accordance to the place they are aimed at, if someone cant sustain themselves on minimum wage, its not a minimum wage! Thats the whole point of having a minimum wage to begin with.
I didn't know there was an official reason. (Honestly, I am not being a smart ass)

I guess life would be tough without going out for entertainment, cable, internet and a smartphone.

Seriously though, do the math. You can live on that, it's just not fun.
#19  September 05, 2014, 03:31:57 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
What you are saying is true but does not change what I'm saying. There needs to be a better trickle down from the top. Corporations do not need execs making so much money and making so much profit then paying their employees so little (or making prices for their products so high)

The problem is at the top. Nothing you do on the bottom level will change things because the top will simply increase prices so they don't lose out.

The way the US works right now the true definition of minimum wage is not possible. Increasing it will put more people at the bottom is all.
#20  September 05, 2014, 03:33:31 pm
Just because someone is down on their luck doesn't mean they should get a little more pay. Thats bad business.
The problem is when the whole country has only this kind of job left because the economy is shit and no one else will hire them.
People earning more money (for the same cost of living) can live better, and living better means a better economy because they're buying stuff (and they're buying because they can buy stuff). If no one can buy anything (either they have no money at all, or the little money they have is too low to buy stuff because stuff had their price grow at the same time - or faster), that's when the economy drops. But who's going to make the first step ?
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#21  September 05, 2014, 03:37:29 pm
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
You're pretty sure... whats your point?
My point is that there's no need to sugarcoat things. The companies will hire anyone that will work for them. It has nothing to do with bettering the lives of our children or stepping stones to better futures. It's just the greedy truth.

#22  September 05, 2014, 03:50:18 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
I didn't know there was an official reason. (Honestly, I am not being a smart ass)

I guess life would be tough without going out for entertainment, cable, internet and a smartphone.

you cant really even pay rent with that as a job on some of those places, its exactly what they are protesting.
if you have to do two full time eight hour jobs to hold rent and get food theres something intrisincally wrong with your minimum wage system.
It doesnt really matter that "prices would raise" because theres absolutely no reason why you would pay someone below a living average.
If prices would be so changed due to that then the whole system needs an overhaul but the other countries are able to have minimum wages without that kind of issue. we have a minimum wage ( also called a living wage ) and who works in one doesnt need to take two jobs to be able to hold a house. Why should it be different in America?

If the issue is too many large wages for the top then the taxes get changed to charge more to those that get more out of them and the shifted money is placed at the bottom. Thats what the taxes are for, you get more out of a society you put more into it than those that get less out of it.
#23  September 05, 2014, 04:01:49 pm
    • USA
There's a couple issues going on here; minimum wage is pretty minor to this specific thing (fast food strikes), all things considered. The strikes themselves are not aimed at raising minimum wage, they're aimed solely at increasing wages at fast food restaurants to a level of a living wage, because the actual minimum wage has done an incredibly shitty job at doing that.

Most of the people working at these places aren't young kids; they're people with families, often immigrants, and a fast food job is the best thing they can get. And they can't even survive on that, even while working one or two extra jobs in addition to that. All while billions and billions of profits are being raked in by corporate. It's... it's evil, is what it is, in the truest sense of the word. And thus the strikes.

Because that's what strikes are for, they're the reason why we aren't living in a terrible dystopia out of Upton Sinclair's worst opium dreams (no idea if Sinclair did opium, and like, I love the outraged muckraking of The Jungle and the seismic consequences it had, not only in the meat industry, but labor at large, but my god is that a shitty, badly written book, and that's why I'm making fun of a long dead author). We don't live in a world where people get paid in company money they can only use to buy shitty products in a company store (and only just barely enough to survive on), a world where wages were so horrifically low that every single person in a family, including young children needed to work to keep the family surviving, a world where workers are treated as nothing more than cattle. All because of organized labor, unions, and striking. This latest protest is simply the next step in a long series of workers fighting for their very survival.

Increasing minimum wage in general would cause fluctuations in the American economy. And for that matter, the world's economy since they're such powerhouses. Plus that would fuck with small businesses.
Not really, no. There is scads of evidence from different states that all have varyingly different levels of minimum wage that proves that raising it to something like $10/hour would pose little to any negative effect. The minimum wage hasn't kept up with inflation since the 80s, and it's time to fix that.

I strongly urge everyone against raising the minimum wage to read that article.

That's absolutely, objectively false. You simply can't live on a McDonald's wage, even if you're working a second job.
#24  September 05, 2014, 04:02:46 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Iced - It'd be nice if that was how things worked in the US
#25  September 05, 2014, 04:16:14 pm
    • USA

That's absolutely, objectively false. You simply can't live on a McDonald's wage, even if you're working a second job.
Not easy, not fun but not impossible.

People do survive on this. The best move someone can do who is on the bottom is try to move up, or cut down on extra things they dont need. Large companies will never change because there will always be able to replace there unskilled workers with any random person who wants to make a small wage.
#26  September 05, 2014, 04:20:10 pm
    • USA
They literally did the math, and the math is impossible. McDonald's own budget for their workers shows it's impossible. The people working at these places can't sustain themselves on these wages forever.
#27  September 05, 2014, 04:27:23 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com

Not easy, not fun but not impossible.

People do survive on this. The best move someone can do who is on the bottom is try to move up, or cut down on extra things they dont need. Large companies will never change because there will always be able to replace there unskilled workers with any random person who wants to make a small wage.
You're absolutely wrong. Please tell me you've actually lived on a McWage for a long period of time.

There was a guy here who legally immigrated here, been working at McDonalds for like 9 years now. In order to survive from day to day, he works construction in the morning till about 4:30-5:00, then comes to work at 6 till close. He lives on Long island which has humongous property taxes and the cost of living is fucking insane, and I'm pretty sure he's gotten a raise like twice (one being the min wage raise)... so maybe 9 dollars an hour, I don't remember.

He told me himself he had to get another job to support his family back home and his life here- he lives off a shitty phone, an old laptop, and he lives in the basement of his sister (who also works at the mcdonalds)

He's desperately looking for a job with better pay, cause he if he has to do it much longer, I think he's probably gonna be forced to move back and find work in his country. At least he has talked about it.

There's another guy who hit his 20s, has to live on his own now, doesn't have money to go to school but still wants to. He works 80 hours a week, 40 at McDonalds (thats just on the clock) and another 40 over at the hospital where he got a job at. He got the job specifically because he can't pay bills on McWage alone.

These are real people, who lived in my town, who struggle because of the absolutely terrible pay, the lack of benefits, the awful management/business practices, and the long hours at McDonalds.

Yeah, its possible, but its no way to live.

#28  September 05, 2014, 04:35:27 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
if a person cant feed clothe and pay rent for themselve ( as in, one individual) then theres something wrong going on and the job isnt being paid at the level of the zone where they are living.

If a homeless 18 year old just kicked out of their home cant get by with just that job without support from others then the job is not a job. I mean this isnt a third world country, someone with a job should be expected to have at least some ability to get by .
#29  September 05, 2014, 04:40:07 pm
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
You're absolutely wrong. Please tell me you've actually lived on a McWage for a long period of time.

There was a guy here who legally immigrated here, been working at McDonalds for like 9 years now. In order to survive from day to day, he works construction in the morning till about 4:30-5:00, then comes to work at 6 till close. He lives on Long island which has humongous property taxes and the cost of living is fucking insane, and I'm pretty sure he's gotten a raise like twice (one being the min wage raise)... so maybe 9 dollars an hour, I don't remember.

He told me himself he had to get another job to support his family back home and his life here- he lives off a shitty phone, an old laptop, and he lives in the basement of his sister (who also works at the mcdonalds)

He's desperately looking for a job with better pay, cause he if he has to do it much longer, I think he's probably gonna be forced to move back and find work in his country. At least he has talked about it.

There's another guy who hit his 20s, has to live on his own now, doesn't have money to go to school but still wants to. He works 80 hours a week, 40 at McDonalds (thats just on the clock) and another 40 over at the hospital where he got a job at. He got the job specifically because he can't pay bills on McWage alone.

These are real people, who lived in my town, who struggle because of the absolutely terrible pay, the lack of benefits, the awful management/business practices, and the long hours at McDonalds.

Yeah, its possible, but its no way to live.
And to add in with more examples, there were about 6 hispanic employees under the same general situation working at mine. One man was over 70 years old. He had to be working there to support his family and even that wasn't enough. His hours were more than 8 per day and he worked weekends. That's ridiculous...

#30  September 05, 2014, 04:40:31 pm
Not easy, not fun but not impossible [to live on a McDonald's wage] .

Depends on the second job, cost of living, etc. On one by itself, lmao.

Living is more than just "paying rent." Have to pay for commute (unless you're lucky enough where you can walk to work), a cellphone at the very least (you have to have some kind of phone), insurance, utilities, etc. This doesn't take into account any possible emergencies which would completely derail any financial plan that would leave some shit out of luck.

Budgeting sounds good in theory but is much harder to practice (especially if your wages suck).
#31  September 05, 2014, 04:42:53 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
JMM I read that link but it doesn't say anything about prices going up due to it or if they stay the same.
#32  September 05, 2014, 04:53:15 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
#33  September 05, 2014, 04:53:58 pm
  • SNK is life
He made a decent point there. Nice quoting out of context.
#34  September 05, 2014, 04:54:45 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
what other context should I take "its not a real job that is stressful" cause it definitely is
#35  September 05, 2014, 04:57:51 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。

nice "I will allow it" from someone that was claiming that umezono should consider himself lucky for getting ten bucks and thinking that the cost of living in mexico is similar to america. If you are going to have a repeat performance of mocking people who are poorer than you and then avoid answering anything you shouldnt bother.

Rajaa i cant tell if you are joking or not, but anyone should be earning enough to live on, this is not a matter of luxuries.. If you work an eight hour job and cant sustain yourself on the basics the system isnt working.A graduate should be earning way above that pay level since its a education level that will earn him some luxuries.

Inflation is not directly correlated to salaries for one the inflation is adjusted far more often than salaries do.
#36  September 05, 2014, 05:03:58 pm
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
Someone that works at McDonalds should earn as much as someone who did actual worked and busted their ass to get a decent job? Raising minimum wage would completely inflate everything, it's not even a long term solution and working at McDonalds isn't some hard task that causes massive stress, it's not even a real job. It hurt my brain to see people in this thread making it seem like it's worth 15 dollars an hour, similar to an entry level college graduate's job.

Instead of just outright raising minimum wage, the wage increase should be based on a person's education level, if anything at all. I'll be damned if some bloke who just graduated high school with no intention to contribute shit to society makes as much as someone who wants to go to college to at least attempt or pretend to attempt to be a contributing member of society. At least the education will somewhat enlighten them, making them a human being worthy of a bit more compensation for their efforts.

All these people nowadays want handouts without the actual work that comes along with it.
Yep, all we need is selective minimum wage increases, lol. Hard work is hard work and one should be rewarded appropriately. Some schmuck who made it to the top without any hard work shouldn't be rewarded at all. But the way things are, he's on top and getting paid the most. Of course there could be some college dropout working at McDonald's who contributes nothing to society. Also, education level doesn't mean as much as it probably should. I've met some fucking morons with Masters Degrees in their fields. I don't even have an Associate's, but who gives a fuck? I got my job from my skill level, not from my education level. Due to all these different factors, it's not going to matter what they change really. There's no perfect solution that's going to benefit everyone. There's always someone who will get fucked over by the process.

#37  September 05, 2014, 05:10:27 pm
    • USA
Right now, a parent that works full time, on minimum wage, will not earn enough to be above the federal poverty line. In what fucking universe is that acceptable?

JMM I read that link but it doesn't say anything about prices going up due to it or if they stay the same.
Can't really find anything that specifically talks about prices of goods, but most sources have an increase in the federal minimum wage providing a pretty huge increase in GDP, jobs, and would provide a real stimulus to the economy. It doesn't seem like price inflation is mentioned in these studies simply because it's not a big concern at all.

Eh, not really. That post was a fucking abortion, taking every other post in this thread out of context.
Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 05:38:01 pm by Jmorphman
#38  September 05, 2014, 05:17:15 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
There's no perfect solution that's going to benefit everyone. There's always someone who will get fucked over by the process.

While thats true it doesnt justify economic based eugenics.
Even someone who went through life with less school work deserves to live as long as they are willing to pull their weight around.
#39  September 05, 2014, 05:19:18 pm
    • USA
And I think there's been enough stories shared in this thread to show that fast food workers are willing to pull their weight around, doubly so than most. It's only fair that they should be able to, you know, actually be able to subsist on a living wage for that.
#40  September 05, 2014, 05:20:22 pm
Rajaa i cant tell if you are joking or not...

It's not a joke because that was the context of what I was saying (it's just that Rajaa is more of an asshole than I am, I clearly have a lot to learn). ;P

While I do support a slight increase of minimal wage, it's off to think that all low-end laborers deserve to live decently because they have an occupation that anyone can do (at least not without a second job anyway). Hell, half of them can't be assed enough to do their only job right. Even if they do, they think it's enough to put in 40 hours of a job with the most minimal qualifications possible, not the same thing as putting in 40 hours in a job that requires an educational background. This would be solved if they did something else that would justify a better societal position. Nothing wrong with working fast-food or retail if that's what you gotta do, but it's far from enough.

As for people who have this as their only option (immigrants and whatnot), it's as simple as learn decent English. You would kinda need to know the language to be able to succeed in an English speaking country.
#41  September 05, 2014, 05:24:06 pm
  • SNK is life
If you are going to have a repeat performance of mocking people who are poorer than you and then avoid answering anything you shouldnt bother.

Where do the concepts of Meritocracy and Inflation fit into whatever you're defending?

Like Alexei said, there's no perfect solution that's going to benefit everyone. Hell, I think he worded my point of view the best.
#42  September 05, 2014, 05:24:14 pm
  • (´ー`)ノ
Why would a person have child if they're working full time on minimum wage?
Sometimes people lose their well paying job and can't find another good one and are forced to work with what they have for their family.
#43  September 05, 2014, 05:25:31 pm
don't have children until you establish yourself.
Because everybody knows that the tools and education to do that are available for everyone. Yeesh, these poor people, what do they learn in school, it's so easy.
Oh, wait.
#44  September 05, 2014, 05:27:09 pm
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
While thats true it doesnt justify economic based eugenics.
Even someone who went through life with less school work deserves to live as long as they are willing to pull their weight around.

Yes of course. I'm saying that it can backfire. Those who felt cheated for their hard work before won't anymore and those who didn't, might, because there are a lot of people who do little to no work and don't pull their weight who would then be rewarded by, for example, an increase to 15 dollars.

#45  September 05, 2014, 05:31:10 pm
    • USA
Why would a person have child if they're working full time on minimum wage? If you're working minimum wage, don't have children until you establish yourself.
One shouldn't be doomed to a life of slow starvation with no medical care at all simply for having a child. Or for merely existing and being dealt an extraordinarily shitty hand, like most of the world's population. Especially when there are such stupidly easy solutions to fix some of this stuff, to mitigate human suffering, solutions that have been proven extensively through multiple studies not to harm anyone. And one of those solutions is raising the minimum wage, which actually improves the economy and creates jobs.

While I do support a slight increase of minimal wage, it's off to think that all low-end laborers deserve to live decently because they have an occupation that anyone can do (at least not without a second job anyway).
It's not about living decently, it's about being able to live at all. And people who work full time on minimum wage simply can't survive.
Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 05:38:20 pm by Jmorphman
#46  September 05, 2014, 05:31:22 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Protection doesn't always prevent child birth either. My kid was conceived while I was using protection and my wife as well =p
#47  September 05, 2014, 05:32:30 pm
    • USA
The fault belongs solely to you alone, and for that you have been consigned to work in the mines until your death!
#48  September 05, 2014, 05:33:16 pm
  • SNK is life
Why would a person have child if they're working full time on minimum wage? If you're working minimum wage, don't have children until you establish yourself.
One shouldn't be doomed to a life of slow starvation with no medical care at all simply for having a child. Or for merely existing and being dealt an extraordinarily shitty hand, like most of the world's population. Especially when there are such stupidly easy solutions to fix some of this stuff, to mitigate human suffering, solutions that have been proven extensively through multiple studies not to harm anyone. And one of those solutions is raising the minimum wage, which actually improves the economy and creates jobs.
Sources, so we can all believe in this Economics Magic World you're living in, please.

You seem pretty convinced that the Classical Economic Theory that's been going around for the last couple of centuries is pure baloney, and that by everybody having more money all of a sudden solves all problems, when that's clearly not the case.
#49  September 05, 2014, 05:34:15 pm
All the links he's been posting for a few posts.
#50  September 05, 2014, 05:34:53 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
nonexistent hard work? is rajaa just fucking around
#51  September 05, 2014, 05:35:35 pm
  • (´ー`)ノ
don't think so
#52  September 05, 2014, 05:36:08 pm
    • USA
#53  September 05, 2014, 05:36:14 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
#54  September 05, 2014, 05:37:14 pm
  • (´ー`)ノ
busted
#55  September 05, 2014, 05:38:09 pm
    • USA
Aaaaaaaack!

they're remnants from sentences that I rephrased and moved elsewhere!!!
#56  September 05, 2014, 05:40:18 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
It's proof that you are one of those people that sit back and try to skate by without trying to finish anything! You deserve less than minimum wage! You owe US!!!
#57  September 05, 2014, 05:43:37 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Its not worth replying to walt, he literaly believes living in mexico and living in new york carries the same costs and people earning 7.25 should consider themselves lucky because that would make them rich in ethiopia, he has no fucking clue and he doesnt read other people's posts unless they are meant to cherry pick whatever fits his previously formed vision. case in point demanding sources for jmorphman irritantingly long posts full of links.

about the discussion itself:  Throwing poor people out to the dogs because "fuck them they are poor" doesnt fix shit.

Denmark went through with their minimum wage shift years ago, by placing everyone that was willing to do a job ( they consider studying a job) with a living wage.
If you get kids or whatever the minimum wage might not be enough, but everyone that is willing to work gets at least enough to live by.

In Portugal fast food workers are paid € 565.83 a month.
thats =734.252129 U.S. dollars Thats 4 bucks a hour.  Thats not a lot, but thats enough to be able to hold a house via rent and feed yourself and everything properly. you can sustain yourself.

The states are far richer,t hey can easily afford to pay more than seven bucks a hour.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_wage_in_the_United_States
Rents outside of the city are about 1.500 dollars a month to rent ( 1 bedroom) paying someone 1200 dollars a month means they cant even afford housing. Get a couple together and maybe they can afford housing and food , but its still ridiculously low.

Cities suck up resources, if the cost for living in a city is high so the cost to pay for the workers in that city should increase. unless everyone is planning on having a homeless faction of people that work like slaves for money enough to eat and little else.
http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/city_result.jsp?country=United+States&city=New+York%2C+NY
#58  September 05, 2014, 05:45:33 pm
    • USA
#59  September 05, 2014, 05:49:33 pm
#60  September 05, 2014, 05:51:09 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
#61  September 05, 2014, 05:51:33 pm
  • (´ー`)ノ
Damn you just got told son
#62  September 05, 2014, 05:52:33 pm
    • USA
#63  September 05, 2014, 06:03:19 pm
#64  September 05, 2014, 06:08:19 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
#65  September 05, 2014, 06:10:00 pm
    • USA
I HATE
#66  September 05, 2014, 06:10:35 pm
  • Busy, busy, busy
    • www.trinitymugen.net/forum/index.php
In the area I live, the average apartment is going to set you back about 500 a month. That's usually without utilities so you may as well bump that to 600(even the subsidised housing carries a min of 425 a month before utilities, but a family of 2 needs to make less than 26k a year iirc to qualify). At 8.85 an hour, Im taking home about 900-950 a month usually (after taxes). Assuming your car is paid for(mine isnt. My other vehicle died and I was talked into building credit via a car), you still have insurance, gas, and food. Cheapest you'll get around here for insurance is like 40 bucks for the minimum(mine is 100). You also need to factor in pop up expenses(clothes for work, medical costs, phone, etc).

I work 72 hours each pay check(the way the pay cycle works). At 8.85, I literally cant survive on my own here. My fiance works fast food and she rarely gets hours. Its a high stress, minimum return job. Its not worth the pittance she makes(usually less than 200 every two weeks). If my car was payed off, Id be barely making it(gas for my car ranges from 150-200 a month). The cost of living here is fairly high. Not exactly Cali or New York bad, but when milk is like 4.50 a gallon and gas is between 3.30 and 4 something a gallon, you just cant survive on minimum wage.

It should be tied to inflation with a minimum it cant drop below. Something in the 10-12 dollar range based on what the change has been. I could get by easily with that. Not rich, but at least I could potentially think about retiring with something someday. Im considering actual careers, but cant afford college

-
http://www.Trinitymugen.net/Hosted/CFJ2/
-
thanks again Vans/Jesuszilla!
#67  September 06, 2014, 01:06:14 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
Too bad Switzerland rejected the minimum wage proposal of 25$ per hour, or I would have gone to work in a McDonalds there. Or not.
#68  September 06, 2014, 01:40:51 pm
#69  September 06, 2014, 01:51:52 pm
    • France
I'd rather let politician extraordinaire François Hollande solve all our problems ! :D
#70  September 06, 2014, 02:29:18 pm
Fast food jobs are moron jobs.
If people didn't care how they got their food, McDonald's would be a giant vending machine. It's all by the numbers and machines are more than capable of handling every facet of those jobs. But for now people need to be served by other people...that don't deserve $15 an hour.
You can make money in this country if you want to. You just gotta be a little disciplined and a little driven and a little creative.

Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 02:33:38 pm by Nucka
#71  September 06, 2014, 02:34:53 pm
    • France
Because everybody can be the new Mark Zuckerberg, living the American Dream !
#72  September 06, 2014, 02:35:43 pm

Truth, doesn't take a genius to do one of those.
I've always been told "get paid for what you know." That reminds me to go visit some place today about tax filing classes.
#73  September 06, 2014, 02:36:33 pm

Bea

#74  September 06, 2014, 02:57:24 pm
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org
I can't fathom why would anyone be for a minimum wage that isn't enough for a person to get by, pay rent, food, utilities...
Princess Adora: "My friend saw She-Ra take her dress off in the shower. She said she has an 8 pack. She said She-Ra is shredded."

SF2NES is dead. Long live SF2NES.
#75  September 06, 2014, 03:04:17 pm
    • France
#76  September 06, 2014, 03:48:56 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
I can't fathom why would anyone be for a minimum wage that isn't enough for a person to get by, pay rent, food, utilities...
It makes perfect sense for an employer to think that way, but none for an average, wage earner Joe to do so.

America isn't a fucking third world country, and you working class aren't slaves, a person with a formal job working 48 hours a week shouldn't need to look for a second job just to make ends meet. Even if it is the most insignificant, expendable job in society (and it isn't) it should pay enough to survive.
#77  September 06, 2014, 03:54:09 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com

Bea

#78  September 06, 2014, 03:56:39 pm
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org
It makes perfect sense for an employer to think that way, but none for an average, wage earner Joe to do so.

America isn't a fucking third world country, and you working class aren't slaves, a person with a formal job working 48 hours a week shouldn't need to look for a second job just to make ends meet. Even if it is the most insignificant, expendable job in society (and it isn't) it should pay enough to survive.

Well, I am an employer and I can't understand that way of thinking. An employee that is paid a decent wage produces way more.
Princess Adora: "My friend saw She-Ra take her dress off in the shower. She said she has an 8 pack. She said She-Ra is shredded."

#79  September 06, 2014, 04:17:08 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
    • Guatemala
I assume you're a mid-small employer? Are your employees common labourers or are they specialized workers?

Bea

#80  September 06, 2014, 04:40:31 pm
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org
Most of them are specialized workers, but regardless of that, you still need cleaning crew and other far less specialized workers around.
Paying those a living wage helps with their performance and with the mood in the company.

#81  September 06, 2014, 04:45:17 pm
    • xxlunytun3sxx@aim.com
Yea ive been seeing alot of these around in NYC(specially Manhattan)

While im on the fence on if we should raise the wages that high or not, i will say this. I dont like how condescending people act towards fast food jobs even as far to calling them "moron jobs". Yes some people may think its "easy" but just because it may or may not be the case doesn't mean only morons work their. People need to stop having this notion that you can definitively and even to some degree,generally determine a persons character based on where they work.
http://www.twitch.tv/zer0degr33z

I sometimes stream MUGEN. Join me!
Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 05:31:05 pm by Zer0degreez
#82  September 06, 2014, 06:10:40 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
If people didn't care how they got their food, McDonald's would be a giant vending machine. It's all by the numbers and machines are more than capable of handling every facet of those jobs. But for now people need to be served by other people...that don't deserve $15 an hour.
You can make money in this country if you want to. You just gotta be a little disciplined and a little driven and a little creative.

You sound like those idiots who say that all the farming jobs should be done by robots.
#83  September 06, 2014, 06:36:04 pm

While im on the fence on if we should raise the wages that high or not, i will say this. I dont like how condescending people act towards fast food jobs even as far to calling them "moron jobs". Yes some people may think its "easy" but just because it may or may not be the case doesn't mean only morons work their. People need to stop having this notion that you can definitively and even to some degree,generally determine a persons character based on where they work.

Just being real, I've worked one of those jobs.

They don't challenge you in any real way (at least not mentally); they test your emotional ability but that only goes so far in a results-driven workforce. Yeah it's wrong, but I think we've all caught ourselves making snap judgments every now and then. What am I supposed to think of a 25 yr old native who presents himself like he doesn't take his work seriously (shitty as the job may be)? I don't think everyone there is an irresponsible idiot, but it's naive to think that some aren't (especially considering the reputation these jobs have).

Not trying change your stance, but just pointing out that there's a reason incompetent people and/or people with limited knowledge are in the lower rung of the occupational hierarchy.
#84  September 06, 2014, 06:44:44 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
    • Guatemala
What makes you think people making more cash are not equally as bad?
Most of them are specialized workers, but regardless of that, you laborers need cleaning crew and other far less specialized workers around.
Paying those a living wage helps with their performance and with the mood in the company.

I figured you wouldn't be in the same ship as McDonalds. If you had a bigger business with too many employees to actually know them all, and most of the most  were laborers, you could afford to fire the less productive workers and hire new ones. If the production as whole was low you could hire more people, you're paying them peanuts after all.

Spoiler: tangetial anecdotical stuff 'bout mcdonald's & morons (click to see content)

Bea

#85  September 06, 2014, 06:49:19 pm
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org
This hasn't to do with firing low performance workers, but with paying them enough so that they can survive on one job, and maybe change their lives if they decide to work hard and get two jobs for a while to be able to save some money for their future/education/whatever.

Currently, in the US, the minimum wage isn't a living wage. The same is true here in Brazil, sadly.
This needs to change. We aren't talking paying them a lot of money for their basic labour, but instead paying enough for them to afford rent, food, basic utilities and clothing.

Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 07:18:57 pm by Bea
#86  September 06, 2014, 06:50:09 pm
    • France
Not trying change your stance, but just pointing out that there's a reason incompetent people and/or people with limited knowledge are in the lower rung of the occupational hierarchy.

So what you're saying is that most (if not all?) people at the bottom of the hierarchy are incompetent people with limited knowledge, while people at the top of the hierarchy are competent people with some huge knowledge ?

Rich people are awesome and live an awesome life that they deserve because they're nice looking and smart. Poor people live the life they deserve because they're ugly, stupid and poor and exist only to serve the rich people as slaves. Or something.

And everybody was at his own place, and everything was fine.
The End.
#87  September 06, 2014, 07:15:47 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
there are plenty of hardworking people at the bottom of the occupational ladder because they came from a bad socioeconomic background, or maybe theres a language barrier, or a medical incident.

#88  September 06, 2014, 07:18:20 pm
    • Philippines
    • https://web.archive.org/web/20181226221429/http://moogen.piiym.net/
There are also many idiots who can find high paying jobs too especially when they have connections.
#89  September 06, 2014, 07:40:47 pm
    • xxlunytun3sxx@aim.com

Just being real, I've worked one of those jobs.

They don't challenge you in any real way (at least not mentally); they test your emotional ability but that only goes so far in a results-driven workforce. Yeah it's wrong, but I think we've all caught ourselves making snap judgments every now and then. What am I supposed to think of a 25 yr old native who presents himself like he doesn't take his work seriously (shitty as the job may be)? I don't think everyone there is an irresponsible idiot, but it's naive to think that some aren't (especially considering the reputation these jobs have).

Idk i rather just actually make my decisions of people on a case by case basis, rather then just assume or generalize every person that works at X place is smart/dumb/whatever.

I get your point and it is taken. Thats why i said to some degree you generally cant really judge a persons character based on where they work,but you will never ultimately get to know a persons character until you understand them.

Thats a good bit of insight on the word Moron Chopped Liver lol. if someone meant it that way the i guess i wouldnt have as much of a problem with it.
http://www.twitch.tv/zer0degr33z

I sometimes stream MUGEN. Join me!
Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 08:01:42 pm by Zer0degreez
#90  September 06, 2014, 08:35:19 pm
And then there's also tons of students working there, trying to pay their way through college, and they're smarter than you.
#91  September 06, 2014, 09:15:23 pm
I was trying to actually fit that in somewhere but had to cut my post short.

Yeah some people do work hard or are teenagers/college students with limited experience (or just need extra money). Doesn't negate that the job is easy to obtain (compared to other places) with lower hiring standards and limited mental work. And yeah, some rich folk with high end jobs are horribly dumb but their knowledge comes from knowing people. Doesn't mean they have competent work habits or a high iq of course but eh.

Idk, guess I'm a bit jaded by coworkers (doing other people's job ftw), family members (stepdad), and hell even myself (my choices could've been better).

Also do realize it's getting away from the minimum wage thing. Thing is that the standard of living in the usa revolves around couples, or financial partners rather. Probably not how it works in other places but it doesn't sound too unreasonable here. It'd be best to increase the minimum wage a bit being that the poverty rate has certainly increased (wash dc's min wage will be 11.50 in the year 2016). I don't think an extra dollar or so (from 7.25) is too unreasonable. It needs to be done anyway, not as if costs will ever go down (price of candy have doubled from years ago). :(
Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 09:30:07 pm by Niitris
#92  September 06, 2014, 10:43:43 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
in the workplace it does not matter how "good" youa re so iq and preparation are secondary, what matter is how effective youa re at doing your work, that is why a lot of times you can find really dumb people at management positions, they happen to be good at forcing other people to do their job properly even if they are incompetent workers by themselves. there's teh case fo a friend of mine who never gets promoted to manager because he cares too much aobut workers rights so the next management level does not want him to have more influence by actually putting him in charge of workers.
#93  September 06, 2014, 11:16:37 pm
  • Man of Mystery (and Chocolate)
    • USA
Well, I live in Washington state myself and the minimum wage here is $9.32 and the wage itself is tied into the CPI. That means it can increase every year. May not be much, but that little bit can help. Now, if you go to Seattle, they've passed a resolution to increase it to $15, but that is a 7 year plan.

The way I see it, one chooses to work at a McDonald's or similar place, then shouldn't they be worth something? A good company would make sure that it's workers are happily taken care of and one of those ways is to have a decent pay. I'm not saying give them $15/hour for a menial task, but why not $10? You want to feel like part of a team that works.

I just don't understand how this country, with all the talk of us being a 'superpower' and whatnot, can't see that $7.25 isn't cutting it anymore.
#94  September 08, 2014, 02:09:11 am
#95  September 08, 2014, 02:34:34 am
Go on, don't be afraid, elaborate on what you're trying to say more explicitly ! It'll be funny.
#96  September 08, 2014, 04:08:52 am
No, it won't.
#97  September 08, 2014, 08:30:29 am
    • France
I'm stupid, so I don't get what you're trying to say.

Are you saying "you're a moron, therefore you work in a fast food", or are you saying "you work in a fast food, therefore you're a moron" ? Or maybe both ? Please enlighten me with your knowledge, oh great master of discipline and creativity.
#98  September 08, 2014, 08:41:00 am
  • Subscribe to my channel please
    • United Arab Emirates
    • JAMJHalahbabi@hotmail.com
I don't blame them for raging for less wages but what I can see is that if some companies who can motivate workers by increasing their wages in sort of way they might be a solution, we can see all the famous fast food restaurants are making like billions of dollars at least they should give their hard workers something that's my opinion about the whole situation and I think if these big major companies at least did this this might be a chance for people to have a better life.

Project EF-12 Available Characters in my Forum
http://uaeforeverything.proboards.com/thread/59/available-characters
Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 08:46:02 am by MugenFanFiction123
#99  September 08, 2014, 01:49:35 pm
in the workplace it does not matter how "good" youa re so iq and preparation are secondary, what matter is how effective youa re at doing your work

There's that too.

Still stand by my general view (clearly not the majority in this) but looking back, definitely not my best choice of words (rather baseless to assume everyone's a certain way). Surprised it took that long to get an unfavorable reaction tbh. :P

That said:
opposing viewpoint
states working "moron job" for opposing viewpoint.

I don't think that's the best barometer for determining what someone does for a living. Come on, really?
Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 02:12:49 pm by Niitris

GLB

#100  September 08, 2014, 11:40:28 pm
    • network.mugenguild.com/glb/

I know we're past this, but i felt the need to comment on this. I found it offensive since I currently work in fast food. Though we prefer the term quick service in my store, lol.

I can partially agree with you, certain fast food jobs really don't require any sort of knowledge, it mostly tests your emotions and physical capabilities. But there's definitely parts of these jobs that aren't "moron jobs." I'd like to see you try and make a weekly schedule for about 45 people when 25-36 of them are high school kids asking off for prom/school events and the other half are senior employees that expect to have a consistent 40 hours a week. Something very simple like that is not only incredibly difficult and stressful, but you can never please everyone and there's always a handful of angry people at you, leading a team isn't anything easy either, picking up everyone's slack and taking the blame for things you had no clue about all for the sake of less argument. Filling truck orders, keeping within the budget while still trying to make sure everything in the store is stocked to its full capacity, and dealing with a plethora of assholes in between. There's plenty of  mind testing jobs within fast food, I wouldn't generalize all fast food places based on the places you've attended to form your opinion.

It may not be hard to get the job, and it may require a lot less credentials than the average job but at least it's a job, and that doesn't make it any less hard-work than any other jobs. I'm sure there's plenty of people sitting at desks that aren't qualified for it at all.

Beyond that, I'd like to think that there is no such thing as a "moron job." At least those older workers in fast food are making an effort to do something, hell, there's people that age just siting at home still depending on someone else to pay for everything for them. I have respect for anyone that has a job whatever it may be, money's money and they're doing what they have to do. The moron's to me are the ones sitting at home doing nothing. Plus, you've got to start somewhere, you gotta respect a teenager that actually goes out and gets a job to get what they need rather than going to mom & dad. That's about 70% of peoples first job.

As far as the raises go, I don't make anything even close to 15 an hour, and I'd like to think I do a lot more than the average fast food employee. But I also worked my way up from a whopping 7.75 to almost 3 dollars more in the span of 3 months. If you're putting in the effort and it's noticed, I think a raise within that store specifically should be considered. Bumping the minimum wage up to that much would be nice but it's a terrible idea to me. I'd love to make more money, but I can earn it.
Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 11:51:00 pm by GLB
#101  September 08, 2014, 11:51:31 pm
On your whole first big paragraph, I'd assume he was only thinking about the lower ranking people, the ones at the stoves, the ones at the counter, and the ones cleaning up. Not the ones managing the place or the ones with any responsibility.
I don't think that's the best barometer for determining what someone does for a living. Come on, really?
Don't worry, he's just stupid.
I bet he works at a fast food.