YesNoOk

Pupa: Public Beta-Test! (Read 33744 times)

Started by Jango, April 28, 2013, 12:35:19 pm
Share this topic:
Pupa: Public Beta-Test!
#1  April 28, 2013, 12:35:19 pm
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
OUTDATED POST, DOWNLOAD THE PUBLIC BETA TODAY!

The Whole Character.
Patch when/if I update so that you don't have to keep redownloading the whole character. Only download this if you already have the main download and you see an update happen in the thread.

What's this about a poll I did years ago over what ROTD char I was gonna convert next? I have no idea what you're talking about! (ignore the broken images)

I'm sure (some of) you are happy that I am at least a man of my word, and am in the process of making Pupa as I promised y'all years ago. So, what are things to expect this time? Well...

• She will NOT use the same system I used for Mr. Jones. There are multiple reasons for this. The first is that I fucked up a lot how to handle some system movements properly (but I get points because no one noticed it until now). The second is that I have no idea what made me think giving him SFA2 Custom Combo was a good idea. And the third is that I will be trying out some new aesthetics that will be used in a future project.
  • I am going to be as accurate to the game as possible. I made a dumb mistake in Mr. Jones by using KOF formulas to determine vels. The truth of the matter is that ROTD vels are actually a lot simpler than KOF (ie: add -0.25 every tick) so I was working extra hard to do shit that wasn't accurate at all. However, like Mr. Jones, I will take a few creative liberties here and there. Here are the proposed changes
    • As before, slackening the combo system a bit. Pupa's naturally a lot more combo-friendly than Jones, though, so this won't be too big of a deal.
    • I will be removing the super versions of Quiexada. If you didn't play ROTD, Queixada behaves a little like Mike Bison's turn punch or KOFXIII Raiden's dropkicks. However, Quiexada would deduct one super meter for charging about 10 seconds, and two for holding for 30 seconds, and treat both versions like a super. Since, in my opinion, depriving yourself of Pupa's Heavy Kicks is hard enough without having to worry about draining super and MISSING, I am just going to remove that requirement. In other words, you will get the benefits of the super versions without having to spend super meter to get them.
    • I will replace Custom Combo with... SOMETHING. Still trying to figure out what, though.
  • The CARL WINSLOW OF DOOM will unfortunately not be making a return appearance. I have a few other ideas in mind, but they won't be as obtrusive and game-breaking as Carl.
  • I was originally gonna color-separate her wrench (in the game, it shares colors with her shirt), but I got lazy and didn't. But if someone wants to do the separation, I put in three colors in all of her palettes to correspond to a possible wrench coloring if anyone does it.

As of this moment, I've finished basic movements and all but two of her basic attacks. If there are any suggestions, feel free to mention them!

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 12:16:00 pm by Jango Pyrope
Re: Pupa the Pooper Scooper
#2  April 28, 2013, 12:49:26 pm
    • France
    • Skype - elevesimon
There is a good smell in air... What could it... Oh I know, its the smell of a master piece.  :P

"During a time of struggle, K-ON's beautiful story provided the influence needed for me to become an ideal president. I am now a better man."
— Barack Obama, 44th president of the United States
#3  April 28, 2013, 01:03:41 pm
  • play more SNK games
  • I FUCKING LOVE PLATINUM!
    • South Africa
    • www.trinitymugen.net/
I'm assuming you're going to add the CD red screen combo thing, or are you gonna omit or something? Looking forward to her being released.
#4  April 28, 2013, 01:21:25 pm
  • Back to the Beginnings
    • https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ
===My discord servers===
Unlimited Force HQ: https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ
Mega Man Megamix Engine Help Server: https://discord.gg/Wjm9GYU

Touhou database (by Ryouchi):
http://mugenfreeforall.com/index.php?/topic/8257-touhou-project/
you are all small and can't grow manly sideburns
#5  April 28, 2013, 03:19:44 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala

queixada doesn't drain super meter anymore

...But it still sounds like a terrible gimmick.

Imo, you should either cut down the ridiculous charging time at the expense of power so both versions become usable special moves, or keep them like a supers but with a different command.
#6  April 28, 2013, 07:21:05 pm
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
@Websta: I'm not sure. I'm personally not a big fan of it, but it's an option.

@Trinitronity: It was basically a big pic of Carl Winslow that popped up, covered the screen, said a line of dialogue, and KO'ed the opponent. It only triggered for Kuromaru/Slime, Choiyer's Haruhi, and anything by Seravvy. I'd like to think I'm slightly more professional than when I made Mr. Jones, and Carl was more an in-joke than anything, so I'm removing it. I still wanna do something if she fights Kuromaru/Slime tho. Don't want my poor Pooper to get violated :(

@Nagai's B^U: At the moment, I want to give the move the same utility as Raiden's dropkicks. So yeah, I will be lowering charge times, and will probably add some extra buffs, like some invulnerability on startup and making it easier to combo into or out of. Dunno, will see what my options are.
#7  April 28, 2013, 08:01:53 pm
  • Back to the Beginnings
    • https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ
@Trinitronity: It was basically a big pic of Carl Winslow that popped up, covered the screen, said a line of dialogue, and KO'ed the opponent. It only triggered for Kuromaru/Slime, Choiyer's Haruhi, and anything by Seravvy. I'd like to think I'm slightly more professional than when I made Mr. Jones, and Carl was more an in-joke than anything, so I'm removing it. I still wanna do something if she fights Kuromaru/Slime tho. Don't want my poor Pooper to get violated :(
That sounds like fun.
However, why did the Carl Winslow of DOOM thing also triggered if fought against someone by Seravy?
===My discord servers===
Unlimited Force HQ: https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ
Mega Man Megamix Engine Help Server: https://discord.gg/Wjm9GYU

Touhou database (by Ryouchi):
http://mugenfreeforall.com/index.php?/topic/8257-touhou-project/
you are all small and can't grow manly sideburns
#8  April 28, 2013, 08:28:37 pm
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
I forget my exact reason, but I think it was along the lines of it being almost impossible to fight any of his characters in global MUGEN unless you were also playing as one of his characters. I haven't played any of his chars lately so I dunno if the circumstances have changed since, but in hindsight that's still a dumb reason to trigger an instant K.O.

Posted: April 28, 2013, 08:33:07 pm
Also, two things I forgot to make clear:

- Pupa will be developed for 1.0 only. Sorry if you like Winmugen, it's just a lot more flexible to develop for, and it's good to not have to worry about random engine crashes.
- After I make Pupa, I will update Mr. Jones to be in the system.
#9  April 28, 2013, 08:33:51 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
I still wanna do something if she fights Kuromaru/Slime tho. Don't want my poor Pooper to get violated :(

I think Insanius could help you with this with the gangbank thing he made, but it's been a while and it's possible it's been cracked by now.
#10  April 29, 2013, 04:59:22 am
  • tired
    • Skype - Istillhasnoname
You should replace Custom Combo with MAX mode or something like that.
Is finding MUGEN to be more enjoyable to play when you're not wearing clothes an underrated opinion?
#11  April 29, 2013, 07:15:01 am
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
I still wanna do something if she fights Kuromaru/Slime tho. Don't want my poor Pooper to get violated :(

I think Insanius could help you with this with the gangbank thing he made, but it's been a while and it's possible it's been cracked by now.
Eh, not a big fan of GANKBANK. Outside of the joke being really fucking old, there are compatibility problems with other charas (ie: it'll trigger during one Demitri's Midnight Bliss), and I'm not interested in looking up every single hentai character that exists to personally stop it. Something should still be done though. Also it's a Trinitymugen thing and I really don't want to have that.

You should replace Custom Combo with MAX mode or something like that.
How? At most, her supers drain two bars, so I can't do the "automatically do the strongest version of her super" thing. The strength thing looks intriguing, but since she already does a lot of damage (ROTD damage values are pretty darn high), the last thing she needs is to do more damage. Which brings up something I should probably mention.

ROTD's damage dampening system is pretty unusual in that rather than being based on the number of hits you do in a combo, it's based on how much life your opponent has. If your opponent has half of his health left, your attacks get nerfed to 75% damage IIRC, and then to 62.5% after you get to a quarter. Like I said, I forget the exact percentage it uses, but it is based on your opponent's health. I will implement this obviously, but there's a possibility that people prefer a more standard damage dampener?
#12  April 29, 2013, 07:29:23 am
  • I am hilarious
  • and you will quote everything I say
    • USA
Something'll probably work. Something Brazil related maybe? IDK I don't have any ideas.

#13  April 29, 2013, 07:53:09 am
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
How am I being obnoxious? I just want to do my own thing!

GOH

#14  April 29, 2013, 12:20:14 pm
  • Pure radge
    • Portugal
Whenever you're willing to stop being incredibly obnoxious about the fact that you don't like TM I'll be waiting.
I don't think you know what obnoxious means. Also nobody cares about you, so you better pull a chair and sit your ass down while you wait.
#15  April 30, 2013, 03:40:10 am
  • tired
    • Skype - Istillhasnoname
How? At most, her supers drain two bars, so I can't do the "automatically do the strongest version of her super" thing. The strength thing looks intriguing, but since she already does a lot of damage (ROTD damage values are pretty darn high), the last thing she needs is to do more damage.
Maybe try 2002-style MAX mode but that might not work with her moves. There goes all of my ideas. :gonk:
Is finding MUGEN to be more enjoyable to play when you're not wearing clothes an underrated opinion?
#16  April 30, 2013, 03:43:10 am
Eh, not a big fan of GANKBANK. Outside of the joke being really fucking old, there are compatibility problems with other charas (ie: it'll trigger during one Demitri's Midnight Bliss), and I'm not interested in looking up every single hentai character that exists to personally stop it. Something should still be done though. Also it's a Trinitymugen thing and I really don't want to have that.
doesn't slime/kuromaru look for specific hentai sprites and use gethits if they're not there? why don't you add the hentai sprites except theyre stupid things like pictures of hulk hogan aligned specifically so it looks like slime is fucking the huckster.
#17  April 30, 2013, 03:49:01 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
i never understood how coders get so scared of those things instead of actually doing funny stuff with them, like having the character turn into other characters or have the character on the corner enjoying an icecream while the slime or whatever has sex with a pillow
#18  April 30, 2013, 04:05:10 am
  • Most Dangerous Mugen
    • USA
    • caddie.smeenet.org
WONDA-FOO

You know how badly I'm waiting for this. ;D
#19  April 30, 2013, 04:12:35 am
have slime fuck duck king instead
#20  April 30, 2013, 06:42:49 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
while pupa watches awkwardly from the sidelines.