YesNoOk

What is not a "True fighting game" for you? (Read 18859 times)

Started by luis2345, February 05, 2014, 08:34:51 am
Share this topic:
What is not a "True fighting game" for you?
#1  February 05, 2014, 08:34:51 am
Ever heard that phrase before? "True fighting game"?

What is not a "true fighting game" for you?

Long text incoming:
If i don't count the obvious ones like Shaq fu or any unplayable non-competitive games.
I think every fighting games is a true fighting game as long as they have all the elements of competitive play.
Some games may be easier or "less complex" to play but that doesn't mean that makes them easier to master.

I used to be that kind of people who used to batch on people who played Smash bros competitively (or casually), smash is mostly known as the laughing stock of fighting games since it lacks most elements, but i was wrong, they don't lack the elements, they have them, in their own way.

The footsies,the mind games, everything is there, understanding other games helped me to increase my gameplay level at KOF, i play KOF in a competitive level at GGPO and mexican tournaments for 8 years now and i have seen beasts all over the place, i have a lot of respect for high level play , including the high level play for other "easier" games that are essentially more friendly to play for beginners but usually the veteran fighting game players do not get attracted to that kind of games, but what happens when some do? you will find out even these games can be taken really further (Which sounds really obvious to begin with).

This may sound crazy and  most people will feel skeptical about this, but even the Touhou fighters have it's really good charm, ever had a match with top tier players in any of the touhou fighters? man, they are monsters, that's when you realize that even these games that are often called "not true fighting games" have all the elements from the competitive scene of bigger name fighting games like KOF or Street fighter 3rd strike.
I took a break from kof and started playing other games that people often say that "they take no skill" and one of them was touhou hisoutensoku, that game, you have chibi characters (That bothers me quite a bit honestly, i am not into kawaii desu stuff),i was very skeptical about the spellcards system "What is this? one button supers? is this some magical girls game?", where you can combo just pressing AAAA or A>B>C, at first glance you would say "Ah that takes no skill, a lot of damage with no skill" but that's not actually true, i rarely see "AAAA" combos that much anymore in competitive play, the opponent must be really stupid to get caught in such simple stuff. That game is really rushdown oriented, it's really aggressive and rude ( Very ironical judging from how that game looks, but trust me, you need to check it out by yourself) so if you are mainly an street fighter player you will probably not like that game, it's fast paced but not as much as melty blood, i would say it's just as fast paced as KOF is. and that's the reason why i loved the gameplay (from the competitive play point of view) of it even if it is a way more easier to play game than king of fighters.

About a year ago some fighting game elitist dude was like "Go play true fighting games noob, go play kof, i would moop the floor with you" just because i posted a combo video of the touhou game, we ended up playing against each other at King of fighters 98 and king of fighters 2002 on supercade, the guy was "decent" and really overconfident and cocky but in the end he couldn't stand a chance, he got caught off guard by judging people like that, didn't take it personal myself but it's quite an interesting story.
i don't consider myself a pro because that would sound really cocky, i am just an above average player at KOF and since i got to this level i learned to give "party fighting games" a chance, i would gladly accept any matches for any of those 2 games just to prove my point a little further, but that's is just my opinion.

http://www.mugen-infantry.net/forum/index.php?topic=64575
By Matrimelee
Luis2345 Video thread
AI\'s : Cassandra,Fliz,Angel,Kung fu Man,Ai,Yuri,Adon
Re: What is not a "True fighting game" for you?
#2  February 05, 2014, 08:42:31 am
  • the strongest motherfucker on the planet
    • UK
    • meldo.neocities.org
#3  February 05, 2014, 08:52:20 am
How is Skullgirls not a "true fighting game?"

Not exactly fond of this topic btw, so don't expect a response from me.

MDI

#4  February 05, 2014, 09:04:38 am
    • mugen.yolasite.com/stages.php
Be warned of TLDR posts.

Anyway, you seem to be going in the direction of "if I don't like a game or if it isn't competitive enough, it isn't a real fighting game." Which is pretty stupid. The only time I find a game categorized as a fighting game to not be one would be in the case of party brawler type games such as Smash Bros, Dreammix TV World Fighters, etc. But really, most fighting game fans tend to think that way, regardless if they like the mentioned games or not.

go play kof, i would moop the floor with you"

How dare he moop you!

ey
#5  February 05, 2014, 09:08:20 am
  • Staying Alive
    • Panama
Super Smash Bros Brawl #Kappa
Chilling
#6  February 05, 2014, 09:22:19 am
PSASBR is not a real fighting game.

Smash Bros is odd. I haven't had enough experience with it to judge it enough but I played the original a fair bit. Enjoyable but more 'fun' than 'challenging', not what I look for out of a fighter but not bad in any way... We'll just go with 'different from what I'm used to' and leave it at that.

Idk beyond that.
#7  February 05, 2014, 09:40:35 am
  • Fuck You.
marvel

/thread
i cant count the reasons i should stay

one by one they all just fade away...

http://nero-blanco.deviantart.com/
#8  February 05, 2014, 09:52:25 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
#9  February 05, 2014, 10:18:51 am
  • ↑←↑
  • Dream-Colored Chaser
    • Bosnia and Herzegovina
Naruto games.
And my extreme disliking of MvC keeps telling me to write it,but im fighting it
OP is pretty stupid too.
#10  February 05, 2014, 10:38:57 am
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
#11  February 05, 2014, 01:31:41 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Final Fantasy IX.

Seriously I don't know how that one is even up for debate.
#12  February 05, 2014, 01:48:20 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
Rise of the Robots and Street Fighter (1) and Fatal Fury (1)

I mean what the hell..you can only choose 1 (RotR)  2 (Ryu or Ken) 3 (Terry, Andy Joe) in those games..i mean

uh well.
#13  February 05, 2014, 01:55:06 pm
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
Argh, these kinds of threads are stupid.

Always devolve into flame wars and stuff.
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!
#14  February 05, 2014, 03:38:53 pm
[game i dont like] is not a true fighting game, because it stinks! haha!
#15  February 05, 2014, 04:04:33 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Shit there are so many wrong things with this topic i dont know where to start

Lets preface this with saying anyone who accuses something thats obviously a real fighting game of not being a real fighting game because they dislike it are idiots. This includes everyone who mentioned Marvel and Skullgirls. Heres the reality. Youre just being a fuckin hipster when you say that shit.

Secondly if Smash is considered a fighter for the reason it is played competitively, I dont see why PSASBR or Shaq Fu dont count. Both can be played and have been played "competitevely." Smash proves that no matter how unconventional the game, if its pvp a meta can be developed and comp is possible. By this logic I dont see how less popular and deep games arent considered real. Hell even Jackie Chans Fists of Fire has a pretty involved community
#16  February 05, 2014, 04:10:44 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
No fighting game is a true fighting game without tripping.
"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."

"Okay, okay. So you put a Nazi on the Moon. Fuck you, Moon."
#17  February 05, 2014, 04:28:58 pm
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
What exactly defines a fighting game, anyway?
#18  February 05, 2014, 04:34:41 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
A fighting game is a type of video game where the player controls an on-screen character and engages in close combat with an opponent. These characters tend to be of equal power and fight matches consisting of several rounds, which take place in an arena. Players must master techniques such as blocking, counter-attacking, and chaining together sequences of attacks known as "combos". Since the early 1990s, most fighting games allow the player to execute special attacks by performing specific button combinations. The genre is related to but distinct from beat 'em ups, which involve large numbers of antagonists.
"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."

"Okay, okay. So you put a Nazi on the Moon. Fuck you, Moon."
#19  February 05, 2014, 05:17:46 pm
    • Peru
I'm trying really hard to remember a game labeled as a FG that I dont really consider fitting for the genre but I can't find even one.
I think all the fuss is about if the game can be played competitively or not (which I find stupid).
#20  February 05, 2014, 06:03:39 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
the op post was good I liekd it, except for the part about what is a real fighting game which is what the topic is about, lol. the wikipedia definition pasted above is good, which means that a lot fo games are fighting games, so yeah; the ones I would not consider fighting games are games that focus on a very specific sport, like wrestling and fencing (olimpics style, not samsho style).