YesNoOk

Characters (Read 111609 times)

Started by FeLo_Llop, April 02, 2014, 10:53:23 am
Re: Characters
#61  April 13, 2014, 08:04:33 pm
    • Netherlands
    • network.mugenguild.com/balthazar/index.html
Though the seperation itself is nice, I think seperating the left/right arms is going overboard (and you'll have issues when mirroring the sprites) and you pretty much killed the contrast of the colors. Still, we can use this at least as a reference point so it's not a complete waste ;).

ps. FeLo I LOVE that SF2 Movie outfit on E.Honda  :rolleyes5:.
That conversion is amazing, and it works really well. And only 3/4 minutes for a sprite? Wow!
Maybe you could get commissioned to do some of those conversions for a whole character! I'm down for it ;)!
#62  April 14, 2014, 02:06:41 am
    • Venezuela
    • Blacksight22@Yahoo.Com.Ve
    • Skype - sebastian.osio

#63  April 14, 2014, 02:44:05 am
  • ^First attempt ain't so bad......
    • buckus.mugen-infantry.net/
Ok, so I have something for the spriters. Since I'm a lazy bum and don't feel like putting the time into making outlines for chars, what about something about this:

What happened is, I took rips from Abel, draw over parts with a single color with transparency, resize and reduce color (skin/clothes are 5 tones, hair is 4, belt/black leg part is 1). Tested with a few and the results aren't too terrible. I plan on building the beta sff/air files with these. Question is: can spriters work with something like this? Don't know how difficult it'd be, but details are still recognizable (to me at least), sizing is close (Abel is 6ft, 6, Ryu is 5ft, 9) and in general a good base to work with. Whacha think?
#64  April 14, 2014, 03:02:13 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
I'm still iffy about using sprites from SFA :P
Getting any SFIII-derived characters to mesh well with the others is gonna be the much harder task, I think. SFA chars only need their normal 83% reduction to fit in pretty well with CvS chars, but SFIII will need palette changes (and possibly reshading? IDK for sure though), more complicated resizing, and reducing their animation frames. It's doable but I think even so they'll stick out a bit more than the SFA ones!
#65  April 14, 2014, 09:56:07 am
    • Netherlands
Why are you quoting that old answer of me, I was already pretty much sold on the edit FeLo did of E.Honda!

That Abel looks...alright. Mostly, except for the head, that still looks very '3d-ish' to me.
And since it's the SF4 model, notice how his arms are like two times bigger then Sean/Ryu's?
They were damn steroid addicts in SF4, they looked horrible, horrible!!
#66  April 14, 2014, 11:15:21 am
  • Koi.
    • USA
    • Skype - Wizzy.WhipitWonderful
    • wizzywhipitwonderful.webs.com
They were damn steroid addicts in SF4, they looked horrible, horrible!!

OFFTOPIC:
Glad I wasn't the only one to feel like that. There's no way Ryu and Ken were 150-160 lbs,
being built like that! They both should've been at least 180lbs
Slow and steady wins the race, but there is a darkness... growing inside of me...

And if you provoke it...

I will slay you all.

Donate Here
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=B92JC32FZ5CME
#67  April 14, 2014, 03:49:37 pm
  • ^First attempt ain't so bad......
    • buckus.mugen-infantry.net/
My goal is to make a beta sff that's salvageable for spriters to work with. If the resized model works for you guys, it works for me.

Here's other quick results of outlining:

First one is reduced color model, second is quick grey outline and third is quick colored outline.
#68  April 14, 2014, 08:23:00 pm
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Why are you quoting that old answer of me, I was already pretty much sold on the edit FeLo did of E.Honda!
I wanted to get the ball rolling on a discussion about fixing up SFIII sprites in a similar way because they need it more than SFA chars! (well, not like Felo's method I guess but instead a few steps one could take in combination with a more drastic method that requires spritework)
#69  April 15, 2014, 02:09:25 am
  • The Mad Editor
    • Philippines
Hmmm.. Is there a chance that a certain Saikyo-ryu practitioner might show in this game?
#70  April 15, 2014, 02:24:24 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Buckus: I'm not on the level of Balthazar and others but I think the colored outline is really good for that! Maybe you just need to tweak some outlines a bit so he won't be as bulky when you're tracing the "sprites"?

Vinceson: If the project can keep momentum and progress the goal is to slowly convert all characters so yes indeed he does have a chance!
#71  April 15, 2014, 03:21:38 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Sean is down to help out. He sent this message. Figured it was worth seeing if there is any interest here.

Sean Altly said:
I thought about maybe doing one of those donation pools and seeing if a bunch of people would want to throw in on a full sprite set for a SF1 character for the game, like Joe or Retsu. I've kind of always been interested in spriting one of them but haven't had the time due to commissions and work. Just out of curiosity, how much interest do you think there would be in that?
#72  April 15, 2014, 09:30:24 am
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!
I also thought about Geki, Retsu, Lee r Joe(I'm kinda meh about Mike :/ ).
I swear there was something cool here!!
#73  April 15, 2014, 09:43:12 am
    • Netherlands
Yeah Mike = Boxer so we really don't want a new spriteset for him. We're already using SFA Birdie, right? We're not making a SF1 Birdie.
Joe is such a lame and generic design, he probably needs the most brainstorming done, coming up with a good moveset and style.
He's a kickboxer, right? There's not really a kickboxer in SF (besides Muai Thai guys Sagat and Adon, but we can come up with cool stuff for Joe I'm sure!)
#74  April 15, 2014, 10:22:11 am
  • Deliverater
  • Who's that guy? A-L-T-L-Y
    • USA
    • www.mugenguild.com/seanaltly
I had a design idea for Joe, where he was wearing the red pants and white shoes, but he also had taped hands (standard for a kick-boxer) and an unbuttoned black or grey shirt with a "Joe" name tag on it, like a mechanic or janitor would have. Also, in going with the trend set by Birdie and Adon, his hair would be exaggerated, with one or more large spikes sticking out in front, kind of like my character Tristan's hair (it looks similar to Yang's hair but is blonde of course). His moveset in SF1 is so generic that as long as it fits the "kickboxer/street fighter" mold, any moveset would work for him, so it would allow for a lot of creative freedom.

Download Last Bout now!
#75  April 15, 2014, 10:37:28 am
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!
I thought something like Ramon from KoF(even he's wrestler, some moves of him would fit Joe IMHO). Also, Tekken's Bryan is a kickboxer too. Shen Woo would be a good choice for punches too. Also, not sure about the shirt.

- Balthazar: nope, not making a SF1 Birdie. And no, Mike is not Boxer from SF2. Mike was once the boxing champion and Bison/Balrog never been, he was banned because of his brutality.
I swear there was something cool here!!
#76  April 15, 2014, 10:52:54 am
#77  April 15, 2014, 11:49:58 am
  • Deliverater
  • Who's that guy? A-L-T-L-Y
    • USA
    • www.mugenguild.com/seanaltly
I felt like the shirt made sense. If you look at the way Adon, Birdie, and Joe were updated for later games, it was never just a straight respriting or anything. Their designs got extra details, flourishes, and exaggerations. Something about the unbuttoned mechanic's shirt feels right to me for Joe.

Download Last Bout now!
#78  April 15, 2014, 11:56:25 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
the exagerated hair i feel would make sense, make him more unique, also wrapped up hands and stuff, but the shirt im not sold on. I like the idea of arm tatoos for him or something like that, makes him more urban.
#79  April 15, 2014, 12:03:26 pm
    • Netherlands
I feel like the shirt will make him look too generic, like a thug you'd fight in Streets of Rage.
Some samples, different design choices will probably be good before we decide on it and send out money your way :P
#80  April 15, 2014, 03:52:04 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Hey guys, Ink just released this
http://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/q-cvsish-spritesheet-incomplete-158857.msg1945071.html;topicseen#msg1945071
Maybe someone can complete it
Perhaps this didn't get enough attention, so I'm quoting it.
Are we going to add Q too? I think we should.
We should link the thread in the 1st post. We can link the resources we will use for future characters there.
Q is on the table along with all the SF cast