YesNoOk

Doctor Who Thread (Read 557503 times)

Started by Nucka, January 08, 2010, 03:54:37 am
Share this topic:
Re: Doctor Who Thread
#301  October 06, 2015, 08:28:50 am
  • I am become Death, Destroyer of Tiers
    • UK
In other news, the War Doctor is back!  In audio form!  Big Finish just announced that John Hurt is on board for a new series of audio dramas starring the War Doctor and set during the Great Time War.

Oh fuck yeah! I love me some John Hurt and he is definitely in good hands with the Big Finish boys. (That reminds me, i really must buy Dark Eyes)

And we are finally be getting a glimpse into the Time War (as in an actual look and not just the last day)
#302  October 06, 2015, 02:46:12 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
I was also rolling with the cue cards! That was great!
3 out of 3 gems this season so far ^_^
#303  October 12, 2015, 01:50:07 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
I take it by the lack of responses this last episode sorta fell flat for everyone else here too.

I think it tried too hard on the initial hook/premise before the opening sequence than to tell a better story.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

The Fisher King was really cool looking though!
#304  October 12, 2015, 02:00:15 am
I didn't think it fell flat, but it was expected. The hologram ghost was the one good thing, but everybody knew the Doctor wouldn't die and he was the one in the coffin before the end of the previous episode. The cold opening with the Beethoven paradox was fine, but it's nothing surprising. It was well introduced, though, and the guitar bit into the opening was great.
It was a good episode, and I like the directing and pacing and the attitude of the characters a lot better than most of the Smith seasons, but... we all knew where it was going. It's not a bad thing, they can't really do every single one of the episodes be amazing, the others so far have been great, but this one just wasn't exceptional. It just wasn't a "the Moon is a freaking egg" thing or a "the Doctor makes himself the target of the unstoppable killing machine just so he can see it and study it before it has the time to kill him" thing.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 02:05:31 am by DKDC
#305  October 12, 2015, 03:12:12 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
True. Matt Smith's eps tended to lack personality. Something this Dr isn't having issues with!
And you're right. I got greedy from 3 stellar eps. It wasn't bad. I guess I'd enjoyed the last 3 eps too much and overhyped this one lol
Still much better than most from last season.
#306  October 15, 2015, 07:38:22 am
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/

This is glorious enough for this thread :thumbsup: (also, look at the pants pattern!!)

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#307  October 18, 2015, 12:58:17 am
OOOOOOOHHHHH
HOLY SHIT
they did it.

If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 01:01:47 am by DKDC
#308  October 18, 2015, 03:57:45 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
I KNOW.  I was fanboying so hard when the big reveal dropped.

I was kind of hoping Ashildr would have joined up as a companion by the end of the episode.  She reminds me so much of Leela and Jaime McCrimmon, my two all-time favorite companions.  Your Claras and your Marthas are nice to be the sensitive human side and bring the Doctor down to earth, but the Doctor should always have an Ace or a Captain Jack around who can kick an ass or two when they need to. 

Also:  Just when I thought that Capaldi could not be channeling the 3rd Doctor any harder, they go ahead and have him actually say "Reverse the polarity of the neutron flow."  Beautiful.
Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 02:39:02 pm by Person Man
#309  October 18, 2015, 04:59:24 pm
Yeah, immediately followed by "... Hope that means something, it sounds great !"
#310  October 19, 2015, 01:59:29 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Yeah just finished it! Great ep! I was going into it reluctantly because of the vikings. I love Capaldi so freakin much! I don't know if I like him or Tennant more at this point.

The end was so much fun. I was wondering if he'd start breaking rules again too.

#311  October 19, 2015, 02:06:53 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
#312  October 19, 2015, 02:25:11 am
Yeah, the talks about his fear of losing Clara felt cringy mostly because Clara herself is really overstaying her welcome by a long shot, but then again, this is coming after some major breakdowns from losing Rose, Amy and so on, so it's kind of a trend. Clara being the Doctor's best advertising company about how awesome he is and how matter-of-fact it is that he'll win is also bothering me, but at this point it was just part of my being bored of her character (then again I admit it's nice to have a companion that isn't despairing half of the time). I know she's leaving soon, but I didn't think it was foreshadowing a big crash. If anything, after the Doctor's rant, I'm expecting Clara's departure to be smooth and natural and kind, like "okay, it's high time we both move on for good", I don't really want to sit through more of the usual heartbroken wimpers for the Doctor... But maybe that's because I would really despise it if it tried to make me feel bad for her. I mean, we already went through that in the couple of special episodes that introduced her to Eleven, after all. Just let her go, man.

Definitely loving Capaldi more than Tennant, but that's only because Tennant had a really bad patch - the Water on Mars turning point of playing God > getting kneed in the balls for it > getting severely depressed gave Ten an image of a loser that stuck for a while. Capaldi feels like he'd just keep blazing through it saying fuck y'all and I love that.
Still really love Tennant nonetheless, of course.
Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 02:35:07 am by DKDC
#313  October 19, 2015, 02:29:44 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
I mean, we already went through that in the couple of special episodes that introduced her to Eleven.
And those versions of her were FAR more interesting to boot :P

This version just feels dumber than the 1st 2 for some reason.
#314  October 24, 2015, 11:34:42 pm
This version just feels dumber than the 1st 2 for some reason.
Nah, I think it's only an impression because we've seen that one longer.

Not particularly interesting, lots of talking about big concepts - mostly stuff we saw coming. Eh, it's clearly a pivotal point in the story to lay ground work for the rest of the arc, so whatever.
..... I do not want to get my hopes up about that name drop. No no no, you won't fool me, the let down would be too big. Even with the "you'll run into him eventually" or whatever the wording was (can't make out his exact words). He's busy in another series (which isn't very good) and it seems he'll stay there for a while longer.
More foreshadowing about Clara ! So innovative.
Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 11:39:56 pm by DKDC
#315  October 26, 2015, 07:00:35 pm
    • UK
#316  October 28, 2015, 05:57:39 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
#317  November 01, 2015, 01:53:10 am
... Okay what. Has Doctor Who been politically charged like that before ? I see there are a lot of callbacks to the old series, I assume stuff like the Brigadier and such.
#318  November 01, 2015, 12:54:51 pm
    • UK
... Okay what. Has Doctor Who been politically charged like that before ?

Aside from the Happiness Patrol from the 7th Doctor era, no.
That or it hasn't been as blatant before now.

I see there are a lot of callbacks to the old series, I assume stuff like the Brigadier and such.

That's been happening a lot this series. I approve.

Anyhoo, something else i noticed is the word "hybrid"keeps popping up. What could it mean?
#319  November 01, 2015, 05:00:48 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
I was hoping this one wouldn't be a 2 parter as it progressed. I really didn't care for this one much. Not enough Doctor and for some reason the Unit characters always feel like a different show. One I wouldn't care for apparently.

With most of the unit cast supposedly out of the way though maybe we can see the Doctor really shine again next ep.

All the hybrid talk is probably building up to the Hybrid Davros says the Doctor made in the season premier. They have a ton of options for a crazy season finale this time!
#320  November 02, 2015, 07:28:24 pm
    • UK
After rewatching and thinking about it, I've decided that i hate this episode

Spoiler: Ranting and spoilers inside (click to see content)