YesNoOk

I cannot take the phrase "leecher" seriously... (Read 36892 times)

Started by Siebzehn, August 28, 2007, 05:17:44 am
Share this topic:
I cannot take the phrase "leecher" seriously...
#1  August 28, 2007, 05:17:44 am
  • Three times thicker font than a normal user.
(((I posted this in two other forums, and I might as well post it here as well (with some edits). Also, it won't be in blue text unfortunately.)))

I hate how malleable the term "leecher" is. Everywhere I go, everyone has an altered meaning. Warehousing has gotten negative connotations as well, but at least *what it is* is more set in stone than "leecher". I can say "warehousers upload stuff they're not supposed to" or "warehousers makes finding characters easy" and almost everyone's fine with that, depending on point of view.

As we all know, the base definition for "leecher" is downloading characters and not "giving anything back". What *is* giving back? This is my first qualm with the term "leecher". People have different views on "giving back". Some consider it as simply as posting on a board and not sticking in the request area. Others believe it's having to make something. I've seen a couple of new guys that were kinda panicked when they basically said "I don't want to be a leecher but I don't know how to make a character". I feel kind of sorry for them, thinking it's some kind of requirement or else people will think badly of you.

I've seen a few definitions that fails to consider the "players". Many seems to think you're either a member of the community, or greedy bastards, and people that just want to play Mugen are grouped with the "greedy bastards". I once told how a few of my friends were simply "players", and someone denounced them as leechers because all they did was download and not "give back". In all honesty, not everyone can or want to hang out in forums.

I've seen a few definitions that encompasses everyone who downloads anything. Way too broad for my tastes. If that was the case, then there really doesn't need to be a term for "leeching", does it?

I've seen a few where if you download characters only *while* being an asshole in the process, you're a "leecher". Personally, I'm sticking with this one. It doesn't include the simple "players" of Mugen, and is at least more in tune with what the term is based off of than some of the definitions.

I've seen too often the "Infinity member = leecher" remarks. I'm from Infinity, but It can't quite count for me like the others because I joined Infinity and Infantry on the same day, within minutes of each other.  In any case, Infinity not being a warehouse is another rant altogether, and while I've seen a number of instances of when people defended Infinity, I've seen nothing of anyone mentioning how many different versions of "leeching" there are, hence, this rant.

I've seen a few where it somehow includes downloading from warehouses. The act of downloading from warehouses and the act of downloading from a legit site is the same (in a sense. I can't say *exactly* the same), so why get automatically branded a leecher for the simple fact that you downloaded from a warehouse? I could say I downloaded a bunch of characters thanks to a database, and I wouldn't get much, if any, leech comments. Say if I downloaded one from a warehouse, and I'd get hazed. Considering how often the "base" form of leeching is used, I don't think someone should change its definition just to insult someone. Sure, it's done in real life, but I feel it's unnecessary with the term "leech".

I've even seen ones where warehouser = leechers. The act of warehousing is very much different from the act of "leeching". Sure, some leechers are also warehousers. There could be a large number of cops that eat donuts. That doesn't mean cops = donut eaters.

Why are their so many different definitions? I mean, opinion is one thing, but the term, considering its use, should have a more refined definition. If I were to ask "what constitutes driving a car", what would you say if the responses included buses, horses, and sexual innuendo?

I once said at Infantry how the extremists who do say "GIVE BACK OR YOU'RE A LEECHER" are, in a way, leechers themselves. Think about it:

Leecher: Gimmie your stuff, you asshole!

Extremist: Give us stuff, you leecher!

So, what do we have here? Two groups that are constantly begging each other for stuff, while being dicks about it. It's just that the extremists are more organized and have more. Yes, those two were general and vague; not fully encompassing what each stands for, but there's already so much of that already.

But, anyway, I don't like how changeable the term "leecher" is, nor do I like seeing it thrown around like candy, nor do I like how *all* "leechers" are treated like scum by some people.

And I guess that's it.
Imagine a zanguief runing to attack ryu, ryu does a quick+kind of weak fast punch and hit the chest of zanguief, will this punch be enough to zanguief say/think \"oh no, this punch hurted a little, I better stop the attack and put my hand on my chest to help contain the pain while ignoring if ryu is going to make other attacks now"

Cenobite 53 said:
If someone isn't able to get girls laid, why buying this exorcist needing piece of retardet piece of bullshit an not wisiting his local red light district. For that money he could  :hump: tons of hookers.
Re: I cannot take the phrase "leecher" seriously...
#2  August 28, 2007, 05:20:10 am

Leechers WIN Creators lose WOOOOOOOOOT!
#3  August 28, 2007, 05:21:33 am
  • My college nickname was bi pod
Welcome to Alu's world !! :D

#4  August 28, 2007, 05:23:02 am
  • If only I had my rainbow star back -_-
    • www.myspace.com/honest_luke
It's true that if you own a PS3 then all arguments made by those who don't have one are invalid.
#5  August 28, 2007, 05:26:50 am
#6  August 28, 2007, 05:34:19 am
Without creators we got all the characters and more. Even the rpivates :)
#7  August 28, 2007, 05:37:03 am
Without creators there will be no new content. Also, how would you get privates if a creator never hands them out?
Imagine a zanguief runing to attack ryu, ryu does a quick+kind of weak fast punch and hit the chest of zanguief, will this punch be enough to zanguief say/think \"oh no, this punch hurted a little, I better stop the attack and put my hand on my chest to help contain the pain while ignoring if ryu is going to make other attacks now"

Cenobite 53 said:
If someone isn't able to get girls laid, why buying this exorcist needing piece of retardet piece of bullshit an not wisiting his local red light district. For that money he could  :hump: tons of hookers.
#8  August 28, 2007, 05:40:14 am
#9  August 28, 2007, 05:54:13 am
  • Master of the palm and foot.
    • randomselect.piiym-net.com/
I don't know about you but I personally don't want some stranger handling my privates thank you very much.
#10  August 28, 2007, 06:02:49 am

Cenobite 53 said:
#11  August 28, 2007, 06:05:54 am
    • interrage.deviantart.com/
lol
Joe Mayama
#12  August 28, 2007, 06:06:25 am

blunted

#13  August 28, 2007, 06:16:49 am

:afro:
Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 06:40:25 am by blunted
#14  August 28, 2007, 06:55:30 am
#15  August 28, 2007, 06:55:47 am
  • I'm a regular hypnotist!
#16  August 28, 2007, 08:53:01 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
I find the fairest definition to be the people who not only take but whine about what they can't have. Even when the reasons for them not having it are 100% reasonable like it hasn't been FINISHED yet so the person making it hasn't released it.

Your average mugen lurker will say OK and bugger off and wait. Leechers kick up shit.

Without creators we got all the characters and more. Even the rpivates Smiley
^ Leecher phrase.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.

dreadlord2

#17  August 28, 2007, 10:47:15 am
#18  August 28, 2007, 01:20:00 pm
  • "You'll hang for this!"
So many fucking idiots here now...

LOL A PICTURE OF A LEECH CLEVER
Fuck you.

I believe a leecher is someone who only takes characters and actively opposes creators. Even though it defies logic.
No creators = NOTHING CREATED FOR MUGEN = NOTHING TO PLAY

Dumbasses.
#19  August 28, 2007, 04:57:15 pm
I believe a leecher is someone who only takes characters and actively opposes creators. Even though it defies logic.
No creators = NOTHING CREATED FOR MUGEN = NOTHING TO PLAY

Dumbasses.

There will still be stuff to play. It's just that if all creators left now, then 5 years passed, the "leechers" will still be trading/warehousing 5+ year old creations (provided the person doesn't hoard every character he or she finds and not trade).

Imagine a child getting their parents killed somehow for more freedom, then realize the parents actually bought them stuff. Freedom can be achieved; freedom of not having anything. Sure, you can still wear your old clothes, but soon, they become too tattered, and you grow out of them. You may steal some clothes, but don't think a successful theft will happen often. Maybe you could get a job or something, but can't because you don't know enough, and that you'll be just like your dead parents even if you managed to hold a job. Soon, you'll slowly just fade away, starving. Old food cannot sustain people for long periods of time. And on your last, dying breath, you think to yourself, with a massive regret behind it...

"WHAT THE FUCK WAS I THINKING!?"

Then you die.

Cenobite 53 said:
#20  August 28, 2007, 06:00:32 pm
  • Angry Molesting Tree
  • Auf gehts ab gehts 3 Tage wach
    • Germany
    • cenobite53.mugengermany.com/
look at my sprite rips  HERE
look at my TMNT Project HERE
My Contribution to mugen: Stages: 897 | Chars: 8 | Fullgames: 1 | Spritesheets: 85