YesNoOk

Yun&Yang DUO - Major Update 10/22/15 (Read 24887 times)

Started by Odb718, October 11, 2014, 12:24:26 pm
Share this topic:
Yun&Yang DUO - Major Update 10/22/15
New #1  October 11, 2014, 12:24:26 pm
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
You can play as Yang by himself for the entire round, or you can switch him in or out. Right now I only have it so Yang is the main character.
The pics in the spoilers show a little bit about this character's traits. If only one character gets hit it's normal damage. If both characters get hit it's double damage. Both characters can take the final death blow. If Yang dies, Yun throws his hat down.

I started this project out of curiosity. My friends and I would play the toughest of the toughest characters vs each other, 2v2. When we'd play with Yun or Yang they just didnt seem like they had enough answers for each character. We sort of agreed that if you could play both at the same time then it'd be a much better match. So, I tried to see if I could make it happen.

Well, it worked!

Dick Buckus made Yang
LaQuak made Master Yun
All credit for individual characters to them!!
They were the best Yang and Yun characters so I used them as my base. Without their awesome work, this character wouldnt have ever been made.

Yun CANNOT be thrown. Because I use Yun's sprites starting at 20000, the common 5000 reactions switch to Yang when he's thrown. Yun, however can throw opponents. Yang can be thrown like normal. You can see `gief bouncing his head off the floor in the pics below.
P2 can walk through Yun if he's "in the background" and cannot if he's active.

Switch Yun in and out by pressing Z+C

A few bugs I'm not really sure how to take care of easily are the fact that Yun will transport behind Yang when you switch him in depending on how P1, P2, and Yun are facing.
Yun doesnt appear for a few tics in the second round. I'm not sure why.
I think Ive seen some bad hitsparks from Yun but I cant ever figure out which state it was in to try to duplicate it.

Download It here >> SendSpace or at Host-A  <<<UPDATED AS OF 10/22/2015

6 Pics to show just a little of what's going on
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Here's an EARLY build video of the two in action. Almost all of the problems in the video have been squashed in this release.
Again, that video is just showing a little bit of what/where the character is now. Yun no longer switches to Yang actions or sprites... hopefully

I kinda sorta maybe perhaps have plans of doing a second duo. My friends and I thought up 4 or 5 sets that would be good. I might pick one of them to work on soon.
vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv
Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 09:45:30 am by Odb718
Re: Yun&Yang DUO - Custom 2 at a Time Character
#2  October 11, 2014, 01:11:23 pm
Yun no longer switches to Yang actions or sprites... hopefully

He does.
- y+b (focus attack)
- throws (with two punches or two kicks)
- roll/dodge

Yun's forward punch throw is very buggy, two random effects appear, not only those in the screenshots below (full-screen) and the enemy (Yang) can't recover/move (and he's also switched to Yun's liedown sprite):

Most of the times, Yun's attacks don't have hitsparks and hitsounds.

If Yun is not close to Yang (p1) and he's behind Yang or the enemy (p2), when I call him to be active he sort of teleports close to Yang (p1).

There are also bugs if I keep repeating that command while jumping around the enemy and switching sides.
Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 12:04:37 am by Alex Sinigaglia
#3  October 13, 2014, 05:59:47 am
    • USA
    • sites.google.com/site/demonkaimugen
Needs some work but man this is a bad ass start off on a Duo character tag team concept. Awesome attempt on coding this kind of creation man :thumbsup:
#4  October 13, 2014, 10:35:20 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
Yun no longer switches to Yang actions or sprites... hopefully

He does.
- y+b (focus attack)
- throws (with two punches or two kicks)
- roll/dodge

Yun's forward punch throw is very buggy, two random effects appear, not only those in the screenshots below (full-screen) and the enemy (Yang) can't recover/move (and he's also switched to Yun's liedown sprite):
Most of the times, Yun's attacks don't have hitsparks and hitsounds.

If Yun is not close to Yang (p1) and he's behind Yang or the enemy (p2), when I call him to be active he sort of teleports close to Yang (p1).

There are also bugs if I keep repeating that command while jumping around the enemy and switching sides.

Seriously what the heck. I cant get any of these errors... so I'm thinking I uploaded a bad version. I think mainly it's with the CMD file. It was one of the last things I edited. I wish you had debug on so I could read what states they are.
The roll isnt the B,B, version right? Yun stays Yun when I do it.

The jumping around bug has been squashed but it's now cause a different bug. The bug is only visual, but it still needs to be squashed.
I know about the lack of hitsparks/sounds.

I'm headed to bed asap. I'll upload the better build I have of it tomorrow some time. I'll try to kill some more bugs and then upload it.

Other than those errors, I was thinking maybe the taunt or something else could allow for separation between the two characters.
It's hard to get them apart once they're together. Maybe unique commands where 1 char wont do anything and the other one will?
A few of the specials will create some distance but I'd like to keep the ability to guard active. Any ideas guys?
#5  October 13, 2014, 12:54:26 pm
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
I lied. Couldnt go to bed, so I've updated the character. Hopefully those errors are no longer present.

I've fixed the sound issues... or almost all of them. Never can be too sure about these things
The crazy hitspark stuck on the screen issue is gone... for all of the moves I got off.
The P2 float away on the double palm combo is gone. It was because of a 5030/25030 issue.
This is a crazy character so I expect the bug smashing to be on going.

----
Ive found at least one more serious bug. If you win while Yun is active and in the air, he stands in the air and does the win pose. Should be an easy fix.
I've seen Yun pop back to a Yang image. I think he was getting hit. That will take a lot more testing to track down.
Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 07:15:41 am by Odb718
#6  October 13, 2014, 02:16:14 pm
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
Interesting concept, but it feels very cheap at the moment. It feels a little like having SFZ3 custom combo turned on without any repercussions. Maybe some sort of gradual super drain to balance things out?

Also if you keep jamming Z+C over and over, you make clones of Yun that do disappear after the anim is over but it looks really weird. It also generates a bunch of debug messages about a missing parentvarset, and if you keep it up enough, eventually Z+C is disabled for the rest of the match and you get a continuous debug flood referring to said missing parentvarset.
Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 02:19:40 pm by Jango Hakamichi
#7  October 13, 2014, 02:51:56 pm
- I was going to show some screenshots about it, but in your video there's the same mistake: Yang and Yun have different hitsparks;
 - speaking of which, standing light punch hitspark is misplaced;
  - also it seems Yang's hitsparks got smaller after the update; nothing wrong, but it's odd that in your old version they were bigger and in this one they're smaller;

- and Yun uses parry sounds when the enemy guards his special attacks (not supers);

- I just noticed Yang's Zero Counters are inverted (you use the kick/s button/s to do the one with the punches and viceversa);

More feedback (with videos):
- ok, you're not supposed to press F4, but this is what happens with it:
http://vid1066.photobucket.com/albums/u402/GodofDeath94/YunYang1.mp4
and then you can use Yun too (as if you called him with z+c)
- what Jango and I said before:
http://vid1066.photobucket.com/albums/u402/GodofDeath94/YunYang2.mp4

Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 03:16:51 pm by Alex Sinigaglia
#8  October 13, 2014, 06:58:16 pm
  • Video Game Veteran
  • Can you do it? SUREYOUCAN!
    • USA
    • gcnmario.free.fr
If you keep pressing Y+C, you can get more than one Yun to appear on screen for a brief moment. ;)

"You must defeat my flaming
dragon punch to stand a chance."
#9  October 13, 2014, 11:53:31 pm
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
I'm not exactly sure why it takes a moment for Yun to reappear after round 1. I try about 3 different ways to make him show up instantly, but it takes like half a second. I think that's why the F4 problem appears.
The "F4 problem" also happens if you wait a moment at the beginning of round 1 and start it earlier than normal. Yun will automatically be active for some reason.
A while back I asked in the dev help section about why it was taking so long for statedef -2 to activate in round 2, but no response. I'll really have to look into how other characters do it. I know Shin Gouki has M. Bison laying on the ground for every round and it doesnt appear to pop into place. Even if it's a temporary explode to cover the mistake it should work.
Interesting concept, but it feels very cheap at the moment. It feels a little like having SFZ3 custom combo turned on without any repercussions. Maybe some sort of gradual super drain to balance things out?
I was thinking the same thing originally. I'm also thinking of maybe making Yang switch out totally. Then when you activate a level 3 you get the MvC1 Crossover Ultra. As he is now, the fact that if you do damage to both the overall health goes down seems to be fair. If Ryu hits with the ultra fireball Yun&Yang are over half dead. It's a major benefit and a major weakness. While playing against my friends, If Ryu was surrounded by the two, he could do the ultra hurricane kick. Because block is away from center, only one character could block it. If you held left, Yun would block and Yang would get sucked in, or vice versa. Obviously setting up an autoblock would be waaay too cheap. There's a lot of ways for Yun and Yang to get messed up bad because of the block from center problem.
I also think if you play 2v2 a lot you'll be able to take on Yun&Yang by yourself. That's part of how we came up with the idea.

- I just noticed Yang's Zero Counters are inverted (you use the kick/s button/s to do the one with the punches and viceversa);

I dont believe I changed that. I may have, but I think I left the actual commands alone unless there was a problem between the two characters.

The hitsparks are done kind of on purpose. I think being able to tell which character has connected will be a slight advantage for the player. Also, when the two characters connect at the same time, if the hitsparks are the same it gets muddled together and doesnt look as good.

For now, the spamming Z+C problem... just dont do it?? lol...
But seriously, I have some ideas on how to stop it but it might take a lot of rewriting the switch code. Hopefully I can do it with a couple of trigger controls. It's the first thing I plan on fixing next.
After I posted the update last night I fixed the standing in the air problem with 3 or 4 lines of code. Some other small tweaks here and there. If work isnt that busy tonight I should have a pretty solid release for Yun&Yang around 1am EST.

Thanks for all the feedback guys! The more solid I make Yun&Yang, the better the next Duo will be
#10  October 15, 2014, 01:13:20 am
  • Nori
    • somecomputersomewhere@yahoo.com
Thanks for all the feedback guys! The more solid I make Yun&Yang, the better the next Duo will be

Fucking awesome concept man! Stoked to hear you plan to do more Duo's!  Really nice idea.
#11  October 18, 2014, 12:00:40 pm
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
You can no longer spam the swap in command. I havent seen any error/flood with the set up I have now.
I didnt want to use yet another variable, but after a few days of trying a number of ways, I'm taking the easy way out. I'm going to try to drop the variable in the future. I figure there are some characters out there that use ALL of the variables allowed, so it'd be better for compatibility if I use less.

If you want to be able to switch a little faster look for Var(55) and set the 60 to something smaller. This may cause problems.

I've forgotten the few smaller updates I did to Yun&Yang. I think it was just small bug squishing. One was pretty good. I was thinking about updating the release for it. Now I cant think what it was.
It's 6am and I havent been to bed yet...

----
Removed dead links.
Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 06:20:27 pm by Odb718
New #12  October 22, 2015, 07:50:28 pm
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
I've updated the duo. It's a small update but a very important one.
The problem with Yun disappearing when you skip the intro has been squashed. I've also managed to stop active Yun from spawning in the intros. I'm not even sure how this was possible. After the fixes I've done I havent seen the problem. It may occur once in a long while. Like I said, I'm not even sure how it was possible to begin with.

I've also updated Yang's hitsparks so that they work better with Yun. If both characters connect with an attack, both hitsparks will be visible. I also fixed a hitspark positioning error in Yun.

With that, I didnt want to start the second Duo until I got the major bugs out of switching in and out. Now that the intro is smoothed out, I may start work on the next character. I was thinking about a Guile&Charlie Duo.

----
The last major bug is when you switch in, Yun's location will POP behind Yang. I have an idea on how to finally fix this.
Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 08:08:36 pm by Odb718