YesNoOk

Jango Reviews: COTM 05/17 (Read 31055 times)

Started by Jango, June 18, 2017, 11:22:39 am
Share this topic:
Re: Jango Reviews: COTM 05/17
#21  June 22, 2017, 07:46:42 am
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
So I had this big post typed up on characters with individual merits, but my browser erased it and I got pissed so here's the image I was gonna post at the very end of it when discussing Kuramoto.

Will rewrite the post later, prolly tomorrow.

lui

#22  June 22, 2017, 11:55:59 am
    • USA
Ok so about Sauron... There are quite a lot of oddities about this character that put a dent in the rating I would give-

this isn't your thread? Why are you bringing up this whole wall of text. Go make your own or something
#23  June 22, 2017, 11:59:23 am
  • 6A6A6A6A6A6A6A6A6A
    • USA
Yikes, see what I get for not playing? :-P It does have a bit of that glowing-ish stuff around it though, although you can't really accurately rip that.

It might be worthwhile, if you're interested, to do some blurring and stuff on those effects. Melty Blood seldom uses sharp sprites for energy-ish attacks (well stuff that isn't a solid object), so it might fit the style more if you do that. PotS wrote a tutorial on how he made his effects on this board, so it might be a good idea to check it out if you haven't already.

Good job, again!

Yeah, that is a big problem with all BB characters and it is one of the reasons why there are not many good BB characters in MUGEN. A lot of effects use additional particle effects and while it is ok on PS3 and such, it would get ridiculous in MUGEN. Just look at Nu-13 .

I know how it is done and I have already used it for Susanoo's body glow (seen during the energy beam part of the Strike of the Possessed God) and Izanami's Yasakani no Magatama, but I am not sure if I should do it. There are proper "blurred" effects in the game, including some of Susanoo's (his sword and the energy around his fist during Inevitable Calamity are the first things that come to mind), but these are not among them. "Solid" effects look solid outside of gameplay too (e.g. Terumi's snakes on his CF character select art). Maybe they are meant to look like solid objects.

And thanks. These reviews are nice by the way. Is this the first time you have done these and will there be more for future COTMs?
Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 12:13:21 pm by Takehaya Susanoo
#24  June 22, 2017, 12:52:12 pm
    • Netherlands
Yeah... Now that you think of it... I could start my own thread. I just wanted to point out some stuff about Sauron, and it happened to be quite a lot. I also like reviewing characters, by the way. I don't think I have enough time to also make a review thread for the next CoTM though. But what did I exactly do wrong? Did you even read one of my previous posts explaining a few missed details?

Also, after reading the review about Sauron some things came up in my mind. As soon as I accessed a computer, I wanted to post that but at that time. MFG was down. I tried to post this but I kept getting errors so that explains that.

EDIT: Didn't realize what I posted got posted multiple times. MFG was acting strangely at that time. I was itching to post that to get it out of my mind but every time I tried I got an error, so it unintentionally became a flood of posts. Walruslui, I just wanted to point out some things to look at for future reviews.
Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 03:23:22 pm by Superteletubbies64
#25  June 22, 2017, 03:33:18 pm
  • Sr. Black Person
  • Mess with the chuchu you get the pewpew
    • USA
    • Kamekaze.world
The goal of custom mode was to give very minimal changes that make the character feel more usable in the modern age of fighters without making them completely lose their sense of the game they were from. In fact it's mostly just rebalanced with lower damage and a very tiny amount of juggle potential. I had to actually sprite that frame you used in the cap and yes the supers were meant to be very minimalistic ala ST. The biggest difference being that the animations were slightly altered to help cover their obvious weaknesses of being really slow 99% of the time and altering frame data so that moves aren't +8 or -18 for no reason. Damage modifiers are because some people want low damage in everything or normal damage in everything etc etc. There's nothing wrong with giving people options to suit their hearts desire imo.

I had no intent of giving them the block buster treatment I give some of my other works because it's meant to be very pick up and play without much learning required. The intended demographic got exactly what they expected/wanted out of it and ultimately besides me being happy with it is all I care about.
Want to feel useful for a useless show? click here
119/150 Chars, I'm not dead yet....the true surprise is in my thread.
Hahahah fuck you photobucket.
Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 03:38:27 pm by Kamekaze
#26  June 22, 2017, 04:34:11 pm
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
@Superteletubbies64: I figured it was either a bug or you were copy-pasting a template for a character review. But yeah, it's good that you started your own thread. While I believe I mentioned how the reviews aren't very deep in the first post, I will keep your feedback in mind.

@Kamekaze: Honestly, if you're happy, that's awesome, and nothing I say should detract from that. I'm just speaking from my personal point of view. I may dislike things no one would care about, and may like things other people would see as bad. The goal was basically to give awareness of the characters for COTM, since most people probably won't download every COTM entry before voting. Think more like Joel's MST3K run VS Mike's. While Mike is more focused on making fun of stuff (and still does on Rifftrax), Joel's kinda more like "hey look at this weird thing I found that you probably never thought to watch, let's watch it." I aim to do the latter.

@Takehaya Susanoo: Ah, I see. Might be a fun thing to try out, but I see what you're getting at. As far as doing more reviews, might be fun. Dunno yet lol. I've gotten requests to review people's characters so I might at least do those.
#27  June 22, 2017, 04:40:55 pm
  • Thanks and God bless
    • USA
    • ricepigeon.neocities.org
I'm liking this idea, and yes, I agree there should be more of these, not just from Jango but others as well; helps people make a more informed decision and makes CotM feel more like an actual CotM competition and less of a popularity contest. (especially in the case of Kuramoto, I can't see how "that one guy"'s nomination was informed at all when the character doesn't even work).

Btw, since you were wondering about the Hugo thing with Chen, it was actually supposed to be a reference to one of her source attacks "Red Oni Blue Oni" and was supposed to have a blue counterpart accompanying it, but couldn't figure out how to implement in a way that would look and feel right so I just left it out. The Hugo sprites were already in the original character the sprites came from so I just reused them.
Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 07:19:54 pm by Ricepigeon
#28  June 22, 2017, 06:21:38 pm
  • Sr. Black Person
  • Mess with the chuchu you get the pewpew
    • USA
    • Kamekaze.world
I get that and I wasn't attacking you or anything of the nature. Just a light rebuttal of your critique lol.
Want to feel useful for a useless show? click here
119/150 Chars, I'm not dead yet....the true surprise is in my thread.
Hahahah fuck you photobucket.
#29  June 22, 2017, 11:27:41 pm
  • Helpful Hermit
    • USA
I'm liking this idea, and yes, I agree there should be more of these, not just from Jango but others as well; helps people make a more informed decision and makes CotM feel more like an actual CotM competition and less of a popularity contest.
As long as it doesn't turn into the Doki Doki Mugen or a majority of the Random Select style of reviews (which were pretty negative overall [though DDM's reviews were sound, they did hand pick characters that seemed like they had a lot of problems in the first place]) I'm alright with that.
If you require my assistance, please feel free to contact me on Discord: 2DMirage#5299
Commissions/Requests are closed. Please do not ask.
#30  June 22, 2017, 11:44:50 pm
  • I am hilarious
  • and you will quote everything I say
    • USA
Yeah, I remember an archive of old DDM reviews I got linked to years ago and the only ones that were positive were 3ha's Mio/Sentinel and Dark Chun-Li which wasn't even public at the time. At least, from what I can remember.

Every other one was mostly shredding the char and the creator hard but at the same time a fair amount of those characters were pretty bad from the sound of it.
#31  June 22, 2017, 11:50:26 pm
  • Estoy siempre listo para un desafĂ­o.
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
Keep em coming, add a lil bit more of comedy if you can
It makes the articles enjoyable
#32  June 22, 2017, 11:51:17 pm
    • Netherlands
#33  June 22, 2017, 11:54:30 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
As long as it doesn't turn into the Doki Doki Mugen or a majority of the Random Select style of reviews (which were pretty negative overall [though DDM's reviews were sound, they did hand pick characters that seemed like they had a lot of problems in the first place]) I'm alright with that.

I mean, if he plans to do it for CotM nominations then that depends on the nominations themselves. So if they all happen to be bad characters, well.... he didn't pick them.
#34  June 23, 2017, 12:07:46 am
Yeah, I remember an archive of old DDM reviews I got linked to years ago and the only ones that were positive were 3ha's Mio/Sentinel and Dark Chun-Li which wasn't even public at the time. At least, from what I can remember.
jackie chan got a good review

mysteriously jackie chan was also made by two people that also wrote reviews for ddm
#35  June 23, 2017, 12:25:24 am
  • Helpful Hermit
    • USA
I mean, if he plans to do it for CotM nominations then that depends on the nominations themselves. So if they all happen to be bad characters, well.... he didn't pick them.
Well, there's critiquing and insulting. And while Jango adds in humor, the reviews he's done here are nothing over-flattering or majorly insulting and reliably give an idea of what the character is like. I'm just afraid it'll spiral into a bashfest over time if not managed properly.
If you require my assistance, please feel free to contact me on Discord: 2DMirage#5299
#36  June 23, 2017, 02:13:00 am
  • For honor!
Well he's not telling the authors to kill themselves so I'm not worrying about him becoming doki doki mugen yet
Iroha stripped for me
#37  June 23, 2017, 02:24:46 am
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
I wouldn't mind reviewing for next COTM, although I think there are a few kinks I could probably iron out next time.
  • Marathoning 20 19 characters all in a short span of time, multiple times was pretty exhausting. I don't really know how to address this, though. I could start drafting reviews the moment they are confirmed nominees, but I know a lot of creators do bugfixes and other adjustments before voting (and sometimes during voting, which is why every character I tested was downloaded the day voting started). I guess I could still do that, and just keep notes and make adjustments when voting starts.
  • I might get rid of the number score. I honestly wasn't thinking too much about ranking the characters by score, and numbers might give the wrong idea. For the record, 5 was a "so-so" rating when I was doing it, but I know lots of people see 6 and below as failing. I could always do letter grades, since there's less room for confusion there.
  • This wasn't really related to the review process, but I think next time I'll try to have a screenpack that's more a minor edit of the default. I just copy-pasted everything in the last COTM pack and made minor adjustments, but it's kind of a weird screenpack to test stuff with.

Regarding humor, I like joking around but I don't want to force anything, because then I have to plan out jokes and then it feels staged and artificial. Plus I find the funniest stuff is what I stumble on rather than try to find humor in.

As far as avoiding bashfests, I think I managed to do okay for now, and the creators that responded were very respectful and understanding (although I shouldn't jinx it lol). I used to do bash reviews and they're just not as fun because you have to look for ways to make stuff look bad or stupid. You might get a chuckle within your circle of friends, but I think the response here was much better: opening dialogue with the creators.
#38  June 23, 2017, 09:35:17 pm
I actually do not care if you tear down a char I like, be honest, that's it, thats what makes these reviews nice to read.
#39  June 23, 2017, 10:49:52 pm
  • Helpful Hermit
    • USA
For the record, I didn't want to make it seem like I was singling Jango out on anything I'd mentioned. I was talking more about if we started having more than a few people doing the reviews and would require more organization which could then lead to, potentially, more biased and aggressive reviews, or rather, "reviews".
#40  June 23, 2017, 10:53:15 pm
I understand it you don't want things getting out of hand and losing focus of it's original purpose.
That's a good thing to bring up because of how easily it can happen good on you for bringing it up.
As for the reviews I liked them they were short and sweet and helped give a somewhat better understanding of what may need to be changed or fixed in the characters.
I'd like to see them continue. As long as Jango is up for it of course.