YesNoOk

Mugen: A Leecher's Ramblings (My Opinions on Leeching and the changes made) (Read 9327 times)

Started by Koldskool, September 03, 2007, 11:39:21 pm
Share this topic:
Mugen: A Leecher's Ramblings (My Opinions on Leeching and the changes made)
#1  September 03, 2007, 11:39:21 pm
  • MFG's Slowest Character Editor
    • USA
While I'm almost certain that no one knows it, I have been a member of this forum for over three years.  But, I've mainly been on the sidelines, watching the community collapse on top of itself, and now it seems to be slowly building itself back up.  I first discovered the engine in April of 2001, and being a long time fan of 2-D fighters, I was overjoyed.  At last, I could see Ryu fight Lui Kang, or Mario fight MegaMan.  So, I started snatching up every character I could.  At the time, warehouses were abundant and not afraid to host the creations of others.  But, many creators were disgusted by this and made their opinions well known. This lead to the anti-warehousing movement.  Many characters became nearly impossible to find.  Shortly thereafter, some forums added a "requests" section.  But, many people abused this feature.  Then, even making requests became forbidden.  Many people who only wanted to enjoy Mugen as a game were labeled as "leechers" and were often insulted for asking for characters.  After seeing this, I was too intimidated to post anything in any of the forums.  I just quietly watched and waited.  I ended up waiting for three years.  Although I actually did release something a while back (a set of palettes for Chloe's Lynn Baker) I still consider myself a leecher because I mainly intend to just enjoy the game.  Granted, many leechers are deserving of the title, since they would rather post a request than actually try to find the content that they want.  But, some, like myself, are people that search like crazy (for years in one case in particular) for what they want because they are afraid of being verbally castrated for asking someone else for it.  If someone is new to the community, and they want something that is no longer available for some reason, do they really deserve to be insulted?  The resent change here at the Guild is only the first step toward rebuilding the community, it's the people that have to make the change work.  I truly hope that Mugen becomes a community once again, but it isn't going to be a walk in the park.

This is just my opinion, but I hope that some of the other members agree with me.
Re: Mugen: A Leecher's Ramblings (My Opinions on Leeching and the changes made)
#2  September 03, 2007, 11:46:45 pm
I think that if a creator doesnt want people to have his stuff, then people should have at least respect that request. Other than that, theres nothing wrong with people requesting a character. It's people that request every verson of Ken or that want all chars that really get on my nerves.
#3  September 03, 2007, 11:56:34 pm
    • USA
That is completely understandable, but, if the character has already been released, it shouldn't be an issue.  If a character is "private" then by definition, no one should even know about it.

I didn't mention this in the original post, but I want everyone here to know that I DO NOT support creation stealing (modifying another creator's contribution and then releasing it as your own).  However, I FULLY support open source.  Many people learn how to create Mugen content by modifying the creations of others, myself included.  I just don't release it.
#4  September 03, 2007, 11:57:41 pm
    • Germany
dude. line breaks and punctuation are your and other people's eyes' friends.
#5  September 03, 2007, 11:59:37 pm
    • USA
#6  September 04, 2007, 12:03:26 am
    • Germany
yeah but rambling is hard enough to read on its own (there's been quite a bit of that around here lately :P), like that it's almost unbearable.

...your sig is oversized, btw.
#7  September 04, 2007, 12:05:43 am
  • You know it!
    • viewtiful9.blog124.fc2.com/
Before the new rules.
Leechers came here requesting for characters w/o creator status, outside of the request section.
They got flamed for not reading the rules.
WOO! WOO! WOO!
PSN / XBLA - ViewtifulSuxx
#8  September 04, 2007, 12:06:20 am
    • Germany
...your point being?
#9  September 04, 2007, 12:10:34 am
  • You know it!
    • viewtiful9.blog124.fc2.com/
WOO! WOO! WOO!
PSN / XBLA - ViewtifulSuxx
#10  September 04, 2007, 12:12:22 am
    • USA
Before the new rules.
Leechers came here requesting for characters w/o creator status, outside of the request section.
They got flamed for not reading the rules.
They fall under the "deserving of the title" catagory.
#11  September 04, 2007, 12:28:40 am
Very simple - force of habit.
I've been in the community for 7 years and I have seen a bunch of what triggered all of this - and I do remember what led to what, unlike some high-ranking members of this forum who thought that doing the same thing as 5 years ago was going to lead anywhere else than the disaster it already created before.

One guy came and said something wrong, people were nice. Ten guys came and said the same thing wrong, people started being a little more straightforward. Ten times that amount of guys said the exact same thing, and people got bored of answering the same thing over and again. Now, even one person comes in with that same wrong thing, he gets bashed immediately. Force of habit, while it's not good, it's perfectly natural that those things would happen after 7 years of that.

There are, however, those who just came out of nowhere and joined in the bashing when it really wasn't their place. Those ones are doing it without any reasonable excuse, and the same higher-ranking members I mentionned put all of them in the same bag, in the same "gang".
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#12  September 04, 2007, 01:31:00 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
When did this happen 5 years ago? Er where?
#13  September 04, 2007, 01:38:33 am
  • Nothing ever ends
    • Portugal
    • www.justnopoint.com/loona

If memory serves me right back then there was still an ezboard Dev... Chaotic as it may have been there were alternatives with no-request restrictions for those who wanted a more quiet hangout.
#14  September 04, 2007, 01:42:01 am
    • USA
Baiken, you make a good point.  "Force of habit" is the main reason I've been a silent presence here at the guild.

I've now made more posts in this topic than I have in the entire forum since September of '03 when I joined.  :sugoi:
#15  September 04, 2007, 01:55:51 am
  • In after lock
    • mugenguild.com/~messatsu/index.html
I didn't mention this in the original post, but I want everyone here to know that I DO NOT support creation stealing (modifying another creator's contribution and then releasing it as your own).  However, I FULLY support open source.  Many people learn how to create Mugen content by modifying the creations of others, myself included.  I just don't release it.
That form of "open source" was ready for you to use since Elecbyte's first engine up to today.  Now you're "allowed" to release stuff you've only modified.

Many people risk their lives everyday by having Mugen.
#16  September 04, 2007, 02:00:59 am
    • Germany
"it's a habit I can't help it"? I wouldn't call that a good point. it's somewhere between "stubborn" and "childish", but nowhere near "good".
#17  September 04, 2007, 02:03:54 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/

If memory serves me right back then there was still an ezboard Dev... Chaotic as it may have been there were alternatives with no-request restrictions for those who wanted a more quiet hangout.

Ah, I barely went there. Mostly just went to Guild, for... my whole mugen life?  I started going to Dev after the banning sprees calmed down. But by then Dev was dead =(
#18  September 04, 2007, 02:06:58 am
  • Coming Soon?
people here still treat creations and creator's like crap for not getting expressed written permission to modify a character.  Force of habit may be a shitty excuse but for now it is viable in a sense.  You can't change the minds of people as easily as a forum layout.  I just hope that those who truly put something into their modifications and don't just do a sprite swap will soon get the recognition they deserve in this now open community.
Latest Yoshi alpha ready for feedback Aug 15th check here for details...
#19  September 04, 2007, 02:12:41 am
  • Frozen in Time
  • The siege continues...
    • USA
    • www.eternal-anomaly.com
It's useless to dwell in the past, but sometimes I wonder how my general outlook would've developed, had I joined the Mugen community in the TestP days.  Unfortunately, that's a dream, which will remain perpetually out of reach.

Anyhow...

Although I still harbor mixed emotions towards certain policies, I've given up on fighting.  As I once said on the Mugen History forum, when it comes to a hobby, there's simply no room for argument.  Civility is great, so the change to this board is nothing short of refreshing.
Latest Release: Here / Current Projects: The Penguin & Stage Rectifications (2nd Set)
#20  September 04, 2007, 02:20:55 am
    • Germany