YesNoOk

Creation of Brutal Mugen AI (Read 4566 times)

Started by Amphion, May 13, 2018, 06:36:36 pm
Share this topic:
Creation of Brutal Mugen AI
#1  May 13, 2018, 06:36:36 pm
    • USA
I've been dabbling around the code of Mugen characters for awhile now. I think I've got the grasp of what everything is and means now. Although there are still a few tricks I don't know about (or have to look up to remind myself that they exist). I can still say that I've gotten the Fundamentals down. However my current progress isn't the point of this post.

Right now I can make pretty basic AI. However, I am trying to figure out how to make "Brutal" AI. There are other more intelligent and experimental AI that I would like to start messing around with. But before I can do any of that I've got to figure out how to make a character intimidating or even frustrating to fight against.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Can some of the more experienced creators pretty much tell me what I need to do to make this happen?

Thanks in advance
Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 06:40:06 pm by Amphion
Re: Creation of Brutal Mugen AI
#2  May 13, 2018, 08:46:16 pm
  • Hedgehog Whisperer
  • Red Bull addict
    • Spain
    • xgargoyle.mgbr.net
The AI will react to the patterns that have been coded. If the AI is precise and flawless, it will be intimidating at first, but after some practice it is really easy to spot the AI pattern, and therefore the AI is totally beaten by the human players.
XGargoyle: Battle posing since 1979
http://xgargoyle.mgbr.net
http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=e71c0d43fe35093a  <-- Please click that link
http://paypal.me/XGargoyle  <-- Donations welcome!
#3  May 13, 2018, 08:51:53 pm
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
To make AI really tough goes to blocking everything. The attacks are what wins fights, so obviously not blocking is what loses. If you want your AI to win, block everything. Learn to avoid and counter things.
Your question is so completely general there's no great answer for you. If your character is set up to zone, the AI is different then a character that focuses on grabs and throws.
I believe there are some good examples of how to spot projectiles in tips n tricks and in code library. That's a major key in good AI.
vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv
#4  May 13, 2018, 10:25:53 pm
    • USA
To make AI really tough goes to blocking everything. The attacks are what wins fights, so obviously not blocking is what loses. If you want your AI to win, block everything. Learn to avoid and counter things.
Your question is so completely general there's no great answer for you. If your character is set up to zone, the AI is different then a character that focuses on grabs and throws.
I believe there are some good examples of how to spot projectiles in tips n tricks and in code library. That's a major key in good AI.

Okay, well fortunately I've got a roll and some dodge mechanics to work with. In the future I'll try and make certain AI more likely to evade attacks.

Sorry for asking such a General Question. But every other video source only tells you how to make AI that is easy to fight. No one seems to really give you a guide on what is needed to make the AI tougher. Which is one of the reasons I posted here. Making AI that advanced can't be beginner level stuff.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 10:31:43 pm by Amphion
#5  May 15, 2018, 01:35:52 am
    • USA
    • twitter.com/inktrebuchet
Brutal AI has it's place I guess but it's a lot more fun if the AI is human like. Which can be easy or hard but it shouldn't be predictable. XGargoyle touched on this in the first replies.

I made a thread forever ago that asks and answers a lot of questions about MUGEN AI. It's definitely worth checking out. http://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/ai-discussion-178137.0.html

What I have learned (for myself anyways) is that It's a lot easier to give a character amazing AI if you yourself have good strategies when playing. I myself am not amazing at fighting games so I have spent a ton of time study strategies and trying to apply them to AI I'm experimenting with and also how I play.

One thing that might not seem obvious, MUGEN has built in AI. When the cpu is playing the character will walk and jump pretty much at random. I personally prefer to code the walk and jump reasoning myself. Jumping randomly is not an advanced strategy...

Making your character AI able to combo is an easy way to give your character more control during a match.

Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 01:39:46 am by ink