YesNoOk

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Revised (Read 22562 times)

Started by Tyadran, November 04, 2017, 07:48:08 am
Share this topic:
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Revised
New #1  November 04, 2017, 07:48:08 am
    • USA
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Revised
v0.2 update

v0.2 combo/character trailer

I've been silent about this project for a while due to college, but I'm finally back with an update. I've made a number of modifications, but the biggest one is the addition of a new character. It'll be spoiled in the changelog so watch the new trailer first if you want it revealed the way I intended.

Changelog:
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Old OP:

These characters are not intended to be used with other characters or MUGEN builds outside of this project, and are not guaranteed to work with anything not included in MMPRR itself.
AI isn't finished yet. Don't expect it to really challenge you.

General Buttons/Mechanics:

Further notable mechanics:

Comprehensive list of special moves:
(This image is also included in the game download for reference)

Buttons with dark trails (like Blue Ranger's Multithrust Extend) indicate held inputs.

I am the only one working on this game right now, but I would like to find:
  • Someone experienced with MUGEN AI to work with me on building AI for each character
  • A sprite artist who can approximate the style of the original sprites to add some missing/new characters
If you fit either of these categories, please comment or message me so we can discuss in more detail.

If you download and play this, please leave a comment with your impressions! I would really appreciate as much feedback as I can get. It's hard to find a balance between staying true to the source material and making a better game, so be assured that all comments will be carefully considered. Also report bugs, obviously, so I can fix them.
Additionally, any suggestions for improving this post (and download file, I'm not sure what all is usually included) would be helpful, since I'm not sure how to structure this post to be most useful and informative.

Thank you for your time, and I hope you'll give this game a try! I hope you'll enjoy it.

Download link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1X3QlQksFIHj4AA9oyyibboCTFwt1KFmA/view?usp=sharing

~Tya
Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 04:05:39 am by Tyadran
Re: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Revised
#2  November 04, 2017, 02:32:53 pm
Great project there man. I enjoyed The original Games and I was planning to rip the sprites myself some day. Which other Characters are planned for this Game? Good luck with this.
#3  November 04, 2017, 04:36:20 pm
    • USA
Great project there man. I enjoyed The original Games and I was planning to rip the sprites myself some day. Which other Characters are planned for this Game? Good luck with this.

I'm planning to do all of the characters from both the TV and Movie games, as well as some other characters provided I can find help with sprites. Ivan Ooze is the first one, considering he already has some sprites in the Movie game, along with Lord Zedd. There are some others too, but I'd rather leave them under wraps until they're actually completed.

Would it be useful to upload all the ripped sprites somewhere? Since I'll be ripping every character I can make them available if there's interest.
#4  November 04, 2017, 05:14:01 pm
  • A living Mugen dinossaur :)
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
    • www.brazilmugenteam.com
Very nice idea! Some feedback:
- The sparks could be better. There are a lot of 16bit good sprites out there.
- Maybe move the lifebar to the bottom, moving the floor upward. So you can fill the screen a tad more - its kinda empty.

Keep the good work.
#5  November 04, 2017, 05:17:28 pm
    • USA
Very nice idea! Some feedback:
- The sparks could be better. There are a lot of 16bit good sprites out there.
- Maybe move the lifebar to the bottom, moving the floor upward. So you can fill the screen a tad more - its kinda empty.

Keep the good work.

The sparks are one of the things I'm on the fence about. I'm using the sparks from the original game, which were exactly the way you see them now. I'll look into some other options though, and see what I think about them.
If you can explain or link me to an explanation on how to move the floor upwards, that would be super helpful. I'm very aware with how empty the screen looks but I couldn't figure out how to change that.
#6  November 05, 2017, 04:25:49 pm
  • A living Mugen dinossaur :)
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
    • www.brazilmugenteam.com
#7  November 05, 2017, 04:36:13 pm
    • USA
I'll look into the background stuff, thanks.
Ah, I hadn't seen the comment yet. Yes, I'm using the Game Gear sprites. I'm ripping them myself with the prototype ROMs.
#8  November 05, 2017, 05:41:06 pm
Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 05:46:14 pm by Omega
#9  November 05, 2017, 07:56:39 pm
    • USA
I'll give those hitsparks a try and see how I like them.

Here's the spritesheet for Red/Blue/Black/Yellow Ranger. They all share one big set of sprites and are just palette swaps of it. Because showing all of their animations would just make a lot of duplicates of the same sprites (since a lot of sprites get reused out of order in their movesets), they're presented in the order that they appear in the Sprite Test mode. These are the sprites from the Movie game, which include a lot of animations not present in the TV game (the frames used for supers and unique attacks near the end of the sheet).
Projectiles are also missing from this spritesheet because they aren't part of the character sprites - they seem to be in some universal shared spriteset. I'll put together all the projectiles in the game probably once I've ripped the rest of the characters.
However, I don't think I'll release any more spritesheets in this format. It's way too time consuming. I'm willing to upload a .zip file or something with all the individual images, though, which is more useful for MUGEN purposes anyway.
Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 08:01:58 pm by Tyadran
#10  November 07, 2017, 12:13:33 am
I see what you mean. I'll definitely wait for your Green and White Ranger Sprite rips.

About the game: any stage plans outside those two Game Gear titles or do you plan to use material from the Game Gear games?
#11  November 07, 2017, 12:18:20 am
    • USA
Right now extra stages are only planned for three guest characters I'd like to introduce, being Kamen Rider Ichigo, Akaranger from the original Super Sentai, and then one last character I'm keeping secret for now. Aside from that, any additional characters would be from Mighty Morphin and would not be adding new stages (with the exception of Ivan Ooze, with the destroyed Zordon stage used in a cutscene from the movie game).
The Zordon stage already is technically extra since it's only used as a character select in the original.

EDIT: But all of these plans rely on me finding a reasonably-proceed sprite artist.
#12  November 07, 2017, 12:26:46 am
Mugen allows scaling for characters but, I don't know if you have anything in mind for the AkaRanger and Kamen Rider sprites. I am a huge fan of both Super Sentai and Kamen Rider Series. My interest for this game is now bigger. PM me if any help is needed. Good lucj with this man.
#13  November 07, 2017, 12:29:59 am
    • USA
I know I can scale sprites, but I'd like to have original sprites made specifically to match this style.
 I'll definitely PM you soon to run some ideas by you, as I am mostly unfamiliar with Akaranger and Ichigo and could use help fleshing them out.
#14  November 07, 2017, 02:48:20 pm
Sounds good. I'll wait for your pm then. Good luck.
#15  May 04, 2018, 09:09:59 am
    • USA
It's been a while (busy with college), but I've returned with v0.2. The OP has been updated with the new version's download link and video.
I'm hoping to have some more time to work on this soon with classes out of the way, so expect to see more from me. I already have all of the Megazord sprites ripped but I'm leaning towards going ahead and doing some of the villains first since the Megazords will be a bit tougher to balance.