YesNoOk

My comissions experience (Read 1733 times)

Started by ROLEINMUGEN, September 22, 2019, 08:04:47 pm
Share this topic:
My comissions experience
#1  September 22, 2019, 08:04:47 pm
  • A rapadura é doce mas não é mole não
    • Israel
Hi guys.

Just sharing my experience with comissions in a few words; for people who is thinking about asking for it. (because I wished I read a post like that before hiring someone to make me chars and graphs).

Don`t waste your time, energy and money hiring people to do chars or graphics for you. You will most likely get frustrated. I tried for years and in the end I was fooled...  Just not worth it.

People be smarter than me, don`t hire comissions unless you really know the guy you are hiring...

Re: My comissions experience
#2  September 22, 2019, 08:20:13 pm
    • Argentina
Many times I was asked to make characters and / or sprites of "X" character but never accept or even if they were commissions, since I take my time to do what I like, I prefer to take it more as a hobby (since I do not have all the day to use the pc and there are days when I have plenty of time but I do not feel like doing anything xD) also if I accept commissions I would be limited to a deadline and may not pay me xD
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

HQ

#3  September 22, 2019, 10:52:15 pm
Hi guys.

Just sharing my experience with comissions in a few words; for people who is thinking about asking for it. (because I wished I read a post like that before hiring someone to make me chars and graphs).

Don`t waste your time, energy and money hiring people to do chars or graphics for you. You will most likely get frustrated. I tried for years and in the end I was fooled...  Just not worth it.

People be smarter than me, don`t hire comissions unless you really know the guy you are hiring...

Sorry to hear for you.

Since I've been living from art/ animation/ pixel commissions for a few years now, I'd suggest to you that you don't throw every person offering commission in the same pot. In your case, you might have chosen the wrong people; people that were not professional. Having hired a ton of different artists for tasks myself, I know that you should easily be able to distinct professionals from others, alone by the communications, deadline keeping & overall work ethic.

#4  September 23, 2019, 12:29:18 am
  • Democracy is non-negotiable.
  • coding nearly done, supers and AI left.
    • USA
    • www.patreon.com/melcore?fan_landing=true&view_as=public
I have had a lot of success with commissions from people in this very community.
Thedge
Metal warrior
c00p
All of them were great and easy to work with, even with some language barriers.
I am still working with two of the ones mentioned.
I have had less success with others and have lost a little bit of money this way.
But i can tell you it is not a waste of time. Might take long but was not a waste.
Sorry you had a struggle man.

#5  September 23, 2019, 01:48:57 am
Its been awhile since ive had a char commissioned, a few the majority of them went very well....but....its one incident that went sour....lesson learned though, try to learn what you can do, and only deal with people that's trustworthy.
#6  September 23, 2019, 03:39:56 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
I have hired spriters here before and they've done a great job like Chamat, Metalwarrior and MotorRoach. I did hire 2 other spriters from an anime forum that I had trouble with. One didn't share my vision and lack discipline. And another didn't even pay me back for a failed sprite that he thought he had the skills to do.
sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
#7  September 23, 2019, 08:59:44 pm
  • A rapadura é doce mas não é mole não
    • Israel
Maybe we should list the reliable and non reliable creators... This would be fair for the hiring people and for the real hard workers...
#8  October 17, 2019, 03:10:56 am
  • Tesla
  • Buy a Tesla
    • UK
As someone who has frequently hired people to make characters for MUGEN, I'm sorry to hear that you've been jipped. Its a hard life trying to get commissions done properly, but the way I look at it is this, there's always that chance you might find someone willing to do the "right" thing as you can call it. Personally, when it comes to commissions, I try my best to see what they've done before, that way I don't hire someone that throws crap at a wall and hopes it sticks.

Sadly though, not many people do commissions anymore, which is quite unfortunate for someone like me. Like yeah, I get the idea that people want others to do the work themselves, but lets be honest... not everyone is talented enough to do that. I've been working on a single character for over 4 years now and still can't even make him playable because all I keep producing is a crapload of errors. Like, I'm not that bright when it comes to coding and understanding it, so I doubt he'll ever exist. Hence why I commission people, sometimes its easier to hire people, you just got to know who and tell them straight up "look, I'm not asking for your best possible work, I just want something that is worthy of playing and won't break when I load it up." Too many people that ask for commissions, seem to ask for the most extravagant crap they can imagine, and I'm just like "man, I just want to be able to play this character, it doesn't have to be fancy, it doesn't need all these special effect and such, just make it so its decent".
♪ This is Major Tom to Ground Control ♪