YesNoOk

What 'POTS style' means? (Read 25670 times)

Started by Dr.Chapatín, May 01, 2015, 08:52:16 pm
Share this topic:
What 'POTS style' means?
#1  May 01, 2015, 08:52:16 pm
  • Ya me dio cosa...
    • Mexico
Every time someone starts a thread with some words I get stuck... I dont know what that really means...
What I know about POST is the character Rare-Akuma and your bonus games.
Is it some kind of using 'custom gameplay style' or 'custom spark effects' ?

Sorry my ignorance...
Re: What 'POTS style' means?
#2  May 01, 2015, 08:56:18 pm
  • For honor!
Simply characters that use system graphics and mechanics from non-joke/bonus game characters made by Phantom of the Server.
Iroha stripped for me
#3  May 01, 2015, 08:56:57 pm
    • USA
Basically, Phantom of the Server customized his own gameplay by merging several factors from the Capcom Vs SNK series, Street fighter Alpha, and King of Fighter game mechanics. He also allowed his works to be used as open source, thus several authors have been using his codes/gameplay. Many Users through out several forums just refer to his and the several other authors' gameplay as POTS Style.
Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 09:39:40 pm by Blaz
#4  May 01, 2015, 08:59:28 pm
We all just refer to his and the several other authors' gameplay as POTS Style.
I don't.
I call PotS style only the creations made by PotS, not the others.

Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 09:10:48 pm by Alex Sinigaglia
#5  May 01, 2015, 09:32:39 pm
    • USA
#6  May 01, 2015, 10:00:04 pm
  • Idea!
    • USA
I just call it pseudo-CvS style XP
#7  May 01, 2015, 10:54:15 pm
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Even though "PotS style" can and is sometimes used to denote stuff that's wouldn't exactly gel well with PotS' s own work, it's still a very useful term to denote a certain style or rather group of styles that all descend in some way from PotS's characters.
#8  May 02, 2015, 06:42:55 am
  • Non est hoc propter hoc sed propter est hoc
    • USA
    • doubletrend-zeta.neocities.org/
I wish people would just called it "graphically POTS influenced" because being "POTS style" requires some sort of data from the aforementioned games and it doesn't seem like most have any of that...

I mean it was like all those iffy MvC styled characters we got 7-8 years ago where it was MvC in name and aesthetics only.
#9  May 02, 2015, 07:57:32 am
  • play more SNK games
  • I FUCKING LOVE PLATINUM!
    • South Africa
    • www.trinitymugen.net/
7-8 years ago? Aren't people still doing that?
#10  May 02, 2015, 08:11:44 am
  • EL FUCKO GRANDE
  • I'm back, nerds
    • Canada
Not as rampantly.

lui

#11  May 02, 2015, 08:18:57 am
    • USA
7-8 years ago? Aren't people still doing that?

nope, in mmv its called "avx" style now .-.
which is basically a more buggy version of mvc. like. really buggy.
#12  May 02, 2015, 07:16:24 pm
  • For honor!
I just call the others "POTS Graphics"
Iroha stripped for me
#13  May 02, 2015, 08:56:42 pm
  • Gaming Content Creator
  • Nobody Exists
    • Bangladesh
    • aumiokhan@yahoo.com
Those are custom characters (Pots's chars too) whose gameplay is make by character creations not from any real game.
Sig 1: I am nobody... Neither you... We won't be any matter just after a few years later when we die. Enjoy the happiness and sadness for now.

Sig 2: When someone or, a bunch of people makes fun of you. The total time they invested in making fun of you, is the time they couldn't manage to stay focused on their work or, development. If you care about them, let them know. If you don't, then don't bother. Stay focused on your own business.

Sig 3: You did a mistake and then you simply admit it after realizing your fault. This is one of the coolest things ever you can do in your lifetime.
#14  May 03, 2015, 12:59:32 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
For the majority of his imitators, yes, for Phantom himself, no. Absolutely no.

Phantom.of.the.Server got his data from actual games. He actually studied the systems. This is a problem that many of his imitators do not seem to get.
#15  May 03, 2015, 01:06:06 am
#16  May 03, 2015, 01:16:24 am
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
For me it's basically "CVS+Custom" style, it all starts with his Ryu and then he adopted this self-taught style in his next chars, mostly by Capcom or developed by this company (like KOF/SNK chars from CVS1-2). And it's not just the gameplay, also the sparks, Super BG and other stuff are mostly custom or modified from other Capcom games. The only exceptions are the pre-Ryu and joke/bonus chars. In the moment was so innovative that the people like it a lot and finally became a fad, it was the same fans of his work who called "POTS style"

What still bugged me is his abusive AI in a good part of his chars and his complicate code (at least for me), but in general people like it and as long as the people still like to play and make this kind of chars, the "POTS style" won't dissapear in a while

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#17  May 03, 2015, 01:31:59 am
  • tired
    • Skype - Istillhasnoname
Is finding MUGEN to be more enjoyable to play when you're not wearing clothes an underrated opinion?
#18  May 03, 2015, 01:54:45 am
Even though "PotS style" can and is sometimes used to denote stuff that's wouldn't exactly gel well with PotS' s own work, it's still a very useful term to denote a certain style or rather group of styles that all descend in some way from PotS's characters.

This pretty much. Basically a "catch-all" term for any character heavily influenced by the CvS2 sub-systems (quality notwithstanding), particularly in the arrangement PotS made, hence PotS style.

Not too keen on the style (mainly 'cause I'm not big on CvS2) but being a forum centering around a 2D fighting game engine, natural that more than a few people would like it.
Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 02:00:45 am by Niitris
#19  May 03, 2015, 02:50:38 am
  • Idea!
    • USA
Why not CV-esque?
#20  May 03, 2015, 03:00:25 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Well, why not PotS style? It's direct and to the point, and it doesn't dance around who inspired it. :-\