Started by Sepp, August 30, 2007, 10:06:23 am
Request section
#1  August 30, 2007, 10:06:23 am
  • can see your halo
    • Germany
    • Skype - panchasell
    • www.mugenguild.com/
Ideas.

• Skank88: one request a day for all members... Sepp: Max # of posts per user per hour or something
  • Mysterious Bob: The request board needs to be moderated.
  • Ichierzen: Create a separate request forum, hidden from regular members, where contributors and up can request characters from each other, and let the idiots currently browsing and spamming the request forum keep their crappy forum.
  • L.o.t.F.: Each member can only have one thread at the requests. And in that thread, he'd make all his requests. Just No Point (and Ash): If we go with the 1 topic per user for Requests we can always allow the topic starter to have moderation powers over his own topic. That can help prevent spam. Don't like the replies being given? Delete them!
  • Messatsu: How about a karma when you send someone something.  You start with so much and can't post anymore if you don't answer a request?
  • Sepp: A "lock board" button
  • Sepp: Fixed intervalls when the board is open and closed; e.g. two hours open, one hours closed, repeat.

Filtered:

• Skank88: one request a day for all members... Sepp: Max # of posts per user per hour or something similar ideas, same problem: time-based modifications are a bitch, and how do you determine "request per day?" does one post equal one request? can't know. max # of posts, no matter in which way it's limited, has similar problems. punishes people who just go there to try and help.
  • Ichierzen: Create a separate request forum, hidden from regular members, where contributors and up can request characters from each other, and let the idiots currently browsing and spamming the request forum keep their crappy forum. This sounds really really tempting in a way but [E] has it right: "there will be no separate request forum based on user level." Or we drift back into directions of "you're worthless you don't have a membergroup."
  • Messatsu: How about a karma when you send someone something.  You start with so much and can't post anymore if you don't answer a request? Absolutely not. The karma system inbuilt in SMF is fundamentally flawed and you could probalby do some interesting things with karma (Loona posted some suggestions as well), but it would all have to be sophistically modded and that's just the technical side... no no no.
  • Sepp: Fixed intervalls when the board is open and closed; e.g. two hours open, one hours closed, repeat. That's just stupid, don't think we even need to discuss cons. It was a late-night idea. XD

Left:

• Mysterious Bob: The request board needs to be moderated.
  • L.o.t.F.: Each member can only have one thread at the requests. And in that thread, he'd make all his requests. Just No Point (and Ash): If we go with the 1 topic per user for Requests we can always allow the topic starter to have moderation powers over his own topic. That can help prevent spam. Don't like the replies being given? Delete them!
  • Sepp: A "lock board" button

1) Assigned moderators if we can find them and think they would fit; which might be hard to do . . . but mods are always a bonus, though that alone cannot fix everything... and we do not want theoretical mods there to be held "responsible" etc

2) awesome; I will take a look at the permissions after I'm done with this post, so that users will be able to moderate their own topics in the request section. The rest would have to be a SMF mod for Valodim.

3) Additionally, a "lock board" button, as another SMF mod. Changes to "unlock board" once locked, button usable by staff and request mods if we assign any. Pretty easy mod to write, I hope. And it can help when posting gets out of hand. If you lock the board, go through it and deal with everything, then unlock it again.

With these three (1 is kind of optional, it's mainly 2 that should help a lot), I think the existing problems can be reduced without constant efforts on part of any one person, while retaining the "un-restrictions" of the section.

Any other things I read or can come up with either require very sohpisticated technical modifications, or constant, tireless observation, or restrict the board in ways we don't want it to be restricted. Right?
"Several times now, Achamian thought he had glimpsed golden haloes about Kellhus's hands. He found himself envying those, such as Proyas, who claimed to see them all the time."
--R. Scott Bakker
The Thousandfold Thought (2006)
Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 10:17:58 am by Sepp
Re: Request section
#2  August 30, 2007, 10:12:26 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
Self moderation isn't really working there is it.

L.o.t.F.: Each member can only have one thread at the requests. And in that thread, he'd make all his requests. Just No Point: If we go with the 1 topic per user for Requests we can always allow the topic starter to have moderation powers over his own topic. That can help prevent spam. Don't like the replies being given? Delete them!

I like this one. In addition. Double posting should be completely illegal.

Random query: Any of the word filters still in effect. Testing "Nightmare ssj3"

Edit: nope, renable to "bastardised version of flowagirls broli" please  :P

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 10:14:33 am by Cyanide
#3  August 30, 2007, 10:24:34 am
  • can see your halo
    • Germany
    • Skype - panchasell
    • www.mugenguild.com/
If I did that right, users should now be able to delete posts from their own topics in the request section.

In addition. Double posting should be completely illegal.

Not worth the effort and it shouldn't be completely illegal... there are cases when it's OK. Goes into the wrong direction of a restriction in my opinion.

Random query: Any of the word filters still in effect. Testing "Nightmare ssj3"

Edit: nope, renable to "bastardised version of flowagirls broli" please  :P

. . . no! How are you supposed to talk about stolen, evil, crappy ... well, whatever, how are you supposed to talk and inform people about things when you get censored? And where do you stop? Censor Nightmare Broli? That's hardly the only such character...

Nooo! ^_^

3) Or if you release something like this strangely popular Nightmare Broli (yeah, we also don't disallow links to "stolen" content)--you will be laughed at, not because you took lots of stuff from other chars and put it together as if you made the entire thing, but mainly because you did so very badly: this Broli is a terrible character by most people's standards. You don't miss anything by not downloading it, and I recommend you not waste your time by doing so--but if you want to, that's your choice. We're not your mothers or the Internet police, we believe in information and choice. A choice in this example case? Download and enjoy the original instead, the one and only Broli by The Necromancer.

To enable such informed decisions for everybody it is necessary that whenever "stolen" things are on topic, it should be noted what's up. By "noted" I do mean "noted," friendly facts, and not screaming bloody murder, "suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuux this is §%&"§$!"§ stolen crap!!!!!!!"

In that way users will be informed of the situation, can make their own choices according to their own conscience, and as for "Give respect to the original authors!! Don't allow links or anything!". . . suppose, to get back to the Broli example, that you're the original MUGEN creator of Broli, see it like this:

Those visitors who just read up there that Nightmare Broli is really badly put together from different sources and still insist on downloading and calling it the greatest character of all time... well, who cares about what such people think anyway? They obviously have little idea, and a lot to learn. Is it worth getting worked up over them? We think not.
"Several times now, Achamian thought he had glimpsed golden haloes about Kellhus's hands. He found himself envying those, such as Proyas, who claimed to see them all the time."
--R. Scott Bakker
#4  August 30, 2007, 10:26:33 am
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/
Mysterious Bob: The request board needs to be moderated.
Been there, done that, it's too much of a headache for the poor soul assigned to moderate it, unless he/she volunteers :D. GMods can do their best to get rid of whatever's reported, but anything beyond that is as I said IMO.

L.o.t.F.: Each member can only have one thread at the requests. And in that thread, he'd make all his requests.
+1, but with no moderating powers or else they'd be able to delete the old thread whenever they wanted a new one. That means no locking option either, I rather have someone posting a common request in an old thread than starting a new one for that matter.

Random suggestion, make the whole request board into a single topic, it'd be such a mess people'd be discouraged from using it. :lugoi:

Btw, is getting rid of that section an option for the future if it becomes too much of a hassle? Just asking because you don't mention it, and requests are of no importance to the forum.
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.
#5  August 30, 2007, 11:11:22 am
    • Germany
time-based modifications are a bitch

you got that one wrong. time-based modifications are a bitch, but only if it is some kind of timed event, not a condition of time. "user posted in this board less than half an hour ago?" is not a problem - which brings me to

Not worth the effort and it shouldn't be completely illegal... there are cases when it's OK. Goes into the wrong direction of a restriction in my opinion.

I could redirect the post dialogue if the last post in the thread belongs to the user who wants to post and is not older than, say, 7 days. on the other hand, double posting is hardly a problem.

Btw, is getting rid of that section an option for the future if it becomes too much of a hassle? Just asking because you don't mention it, and requests are of no importance to the forum.

wouldn't exclude the possibility per se.

L.o.t.F.: Each member can only have one thread at the requests. And in that thread, he'd make all his requests. Just No Point (and Ash): If we go with the 1 topic per user for Requests we can always allow the topic starter to have moderation powers over his own topic. That can help prevent spam. Don't like the replies being given? Delete them!

still think it's a good idea, and feasible.
#6  August 30, 2007, 11:14:39 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
I don't like the idea of allowing idiots to bump their thread constantly. Everyone should have an even chance to recieve what they want. Not just those who are vocal and spammy.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#7  August 30, 2007, 11:28:37 am
    • Germany
I don't like the idea of allowing idiots to bump their thread constantly. Everyone should have an even chance to recieve what they want. Not just those who are vocal and spammy.

if that happens we can still implement that mod mentioned above to prevent bumping within X days
#8  August 30, 2007, 05:12:46 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
locking the request board on even on uvenen hours would work wonders with assigned moderators, as a mod can skim through the request board when it is locked. the problem is who is going to want that job ?
#9  August 30, 2007, 06:02:01 pm
    • Germany
...what would be the use of that, any what would be the advantage if noone could post during that time? :thinking:
#10  August 30, 2007, 06:36:55 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
make the dedicated mod's job easier, but i would rather have request as it is. let the requester mod his own topic.
#11  September 01, 2007, 02:34:15 am
  • The Unknown and Rarely Posting Global Mod
L.o.t.F.: Each member can only have one thread at the requests. And in that thread, he'd make all his requests. Just No Point: If we go with the 1 topic per user for Requests we can always allow the topic starter to have moderation powers over his own topic. That can help prevent spam. Don't like the replies being given? Delete them!

I like that idea. it goes well with the self/community regulated position of the Guild. The only conceivable problems I see would be people either copy and pasting whole Select files they find, and just going "I request these", or people who would constantly double-post in an attempt to make sure that their requests in the public eye. Granted, I would hope that people would be able to have the self-restriction to do so, but I fear that some spammers may just ruin genuine requests for people.

Maybe implement one or two moderators to help keep the board in check, but they would only be necessary if we did implement this and  it did become the apocalyptic nightmare of a board that most people make it out to be now.

#12  September 07, 2007, 02:55:32 pm
    • Germany
I implemented the one-thread-per-ppl idea.

...also wiped it clean :P
#13  September 07, 2007, 03:05:25 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Is there anyway to make it so that the person that is logged in has their thread on top? And/or also use the buddy system to make threads be closer to the top?

Probably pretty complicated to do that stuff though...
#14  September 07, 2007, 03:06:24 pm
    • Germany
right. not worth it, at least the buddy list thing. I might see about the own thread, but later :P
#15  September 07, 2007, 06:28:37 pm
  • can see your halo
    • Germany
    • Skype - panchasell
    • www.mugenguild.com/
--R. Scott Bakker
#16  September 07, 2007, 06:30:17 pm
    • Germany
do they have write access here?
#17  September 07, 2007, 07:00:22 pm
  • can see your halo
    • Germany
    • Skype - panchasell
    • www.mugenguild.com/
Don't think so, didn't touch the permissions.

Let's see how long that idea lasts first? xD
--R. Scott Bakker
#18  September 07, 2007, 07:13:47 pm
    • Germany
sure