YesNoOk

inadequate research fighting game genre, (Read 12275 times)

Started by snake321, October 05, 2014, 06:23:50 pm
Share this topic:
inadequate research fighting game genre,
#1  October 05, 2014, 06:23:50 pm

fighting game inaccuracies, like for one, how come there are more asian-americans than hispanic americans, when it comes to fighting games, but in real life there are more hispanics in america than there are even blacks. Another thing is cultural inaccuracies, say take for example Eric Windsor of Fightin' Spirit is supposed to be some biker outlaw or whatever but he's wearing tennie shoes, instead of boots....... Or Steve Fox, his mother was Nina Williams, Irish, but Steve is British. No mention of who his father was, but we do know he was on the run from the Mafia because he refused to throw a fight where they had money on him to take a dive (but he didn't take the dive), and Nina's father (steve's grandfather) was apparently involved in the Irish mafia. Maybe that can be chalked up to things being left to explore.
Re: inadequate research fighting game genre,
#2  October 05, 2014, 06:45:26 pm
  • Hedgehog Whisperer
  • Red Bull addict
    • Spain
    • xgargoyle.mgbr.net

XGargoyle: Battle posing since 1979
http://xgargoyle.mgbr.net
http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=e71c0d43fe35093a  <-- Please click that link
http://paypal.me/XGargoyle  <-- Donations welcome!
#3  October 05, 2014, 06:50:57 pm
epic meme reply. all my upvotes
#4  October 05, 2014, 08:30:27 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Gonna have to side with XG in this one.
#5  October 05, 2014, 09:45:52 pm
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
The lack of linebreaks and improper use of commas make your already-difficult-to-read post even more difficult to understand.

To answer your question: Because it's fiction.
#6  October 05, 2014, 09:48:43 pm
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
I still don't understand the question.

Is it a question?
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#7  October 05, 2014, 10:16:31 pm
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
...I'm not entirely sure. Maybe? I mean the lack of proper punctuation doesn't help:
how come there are more asian-americans than hispanic americans, when it comes to fighting games, but in real life there are more hispanics in america than there are even blacks.
It's like reading one of Rufus' winquotes.
#8  October 05, 2014, 10:48:11 pm
  • ロッキングガール
  • 「目指すはクールでロックなアイドル!」
    • twitter.com/c001357
ken wears a gi but hes american. explain yourselves capcom
#9  October 05, 2014, 11:11:51 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
Gis are not restricted to specific countries :P

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#10  October 05, 2014, 11:14:14 pm
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!
Steve Fox, his mother was Nina Williams, Irish, but Steve is British.

So what? Canon wise, Nina's(& Anna's) mother is a British aikido fighter. Nationality has NOTHING to see in the videogames. If that, Kokoro(Japanese) being the half sister of Helena(French) in DoA would turn you crazy because you can't think on it.

Then we have:

No mention of who his father was, but we do know he was on the run from the Mafia because he refused to throw a fight where they had money on him to take a dive (but he didn't take the dive), and Nina's father (steve's grandfather) was apparently involved in the Irish mafia.

No one knows who's Steve's father. That's the only TRUED thing here. Everything ELSE is your supposition. Richard Wiliams(Nina's father) WAS NOT AN IRISH MAFIA GUY. He was an assassin, SUPPOSEDLY a member of the IRA.

Also, it seems that Nina's name is an acronym of No Irish Needs Apply, a phrase that was sometimes found in employment ads, due to Anti-Irish sentiment. Ironically, Nina herself is Irish, but doesn't have an Irish accent.

Check the tekken wiki:
http://tekken.wikia.com/wiki/Mrs._Williams    Nina's mother
http://tekken.wikia.com/wiki/Nina_Williams   Errr...yes, Nina's profile :P
I swear there was something cool here!!
#11  October 05, 2014, 11:29:58 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Saying nina name was given to her because of the acronym is almost like saying that bucky's name is racist. D:
#12  October 06, 2014, 03:03:53 am

No everyone misunderstood, it was just a sort of a fan fiction sort of thing, pointing out holes in the story lines and char inaccuracies. I could probably come up with a lot more. F.ex. Alex is a bare chested delta force operative, but we don't see any blood pins. Special forces usually are required to get their blood pins pounded into their chests. Technically you can say the same for Jax too, he's a marine... I'm not writing like it's some major surprise or anything, this is just a threat to share inaccuracies.... Hell I'm not even saying these inaccuracies even ruin the game or even the char necessarily (it all depends on *how* big the error is).

Also I could be wrong, but I could swear it said in Nina's bio in the original game, in the booklet that came with it, I could swear it said her father was like a captain or something in the Irish mafia and that was where she was trained to be an assassin. Mafias do have trained assassins. In fact there is a somewhat militant component behind most organized crime syndicates and gangs. Many of them are even former military. I wouldn't blindly assume that all gangs are untrained thugs who don't know what to do with their guns.  Granted they shouldn't be trusted with guns, but the more organized gangs usually know how to handle weapons.

As for posting in the wrong section, my bad.
Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 03:33:35 am by snake321
#13  October 06, 2014, 05:58:44 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
#14  October 06, 2014, 06:05:48 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#15  October 06, 2014, 03:57:32 pm

Anyone can wear a gi, that's almost like saying Bruce Irving can't practice Muay Thai because he's not from Thailand. I see no error there..... Technically too yeah, people don't age but I don't recognize that as an error, it's just how fiction is.... Batman and Superman never aged either and theyr both almost 100 yrs old now (or close to it). But nobody will like seeing them as old men with canes, false teeth, and colostomy bags.
#16  October 06, 2014, 04:07:47 pm
  • チョンリサ
    • Canada
you can't mixup a blind man, and you can't out think a brick ~skisonic
Street fighting is all about analysis, prediction, and reaction. That's it.

#17  October 06, 2014, 11:46:54 pm
  • You Can't Handle The Truth!
    • www.youtube.com/user/DevilRaptorB
yep, that's fun; nobody ages in kof, so vanessa regrets waiting until she was on her 30s to join :(

they used to age, but SNK decided it had enough , too lazy to create a new generation and decided to make all characters ageless , other companeys also fallowed this formula like Namco with tekken , starting with 4 characters became immortals .

also going back to the main topic , the reason why there are less  hispanic americans then asian-americans  in Japan finction story is........., well , most well say that the Japanese has less encounter with them in Real life , or they simply go with what they see in media , a lot of the stories they tend to work on ether take place in a fantasy world where Nationality is simply irrelevant , or just take place in Japan with just Japanese .

by the way, don't forget street fighter , Cammy is british and is said to be a clone of someone who is Russian , and SFA3 took it to a whole diffrent level by saying that she is a copy of bison who no one knows where his from, who just happen that the good part of his soul became a women from Italy (Rose)
#18  October 06, 2014, 11:59:23 pm
Hey remember when nationality and your primary language were determined by the place where you're born and raised and not necessarily about your parentage / DNA
Yeah
It's still a thing that exists
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#19  October 07, 2014, 12:01:39 am
they used to age, but SNK decided it had enough , too lazy to create a new generation and decided to make all characters ageless , other companeys also fallowed this formula like Namco with tekken
this isn't a "formula" invented by snk, most videogame characters just don't age
#20  October 08, 2014, 11:15:14 pm
  • MUGEN IS MY LIFE /I promise from not to derail.
He's right about but I rather see a bit inconsistency in various storylines due to agelessness...mostly in KOF  etc
Esaka rules Beat that.... Or Just Get outta my way