YesNoOk

[Theme Thread] DBZ:EB Sprite thread (Read 185534 times)

Started by HadeS, June 29, 2015, 10:46:53 pm
[Theme Thread] DBZ:EB Sprite thread
#1  June 29, 2015, 10:46:53 pm
    • Argentina
Post any and all DBZ: Extreme Butoden sprite/sprite edits/original sprites in this thread. It/They must be in DBZ:EB style.

I think this sprite style is interesting, aside of the problem we all know about the animations. So, I asked Alex if I could create a topic designated to this kind of style. He told me that it was ok, so, as you can see, the mentioned topic. Feel free to post any of those sprites (or palettes, this is for you Karasai) you edited/made/whatever, so we can make this thread more and more interesting. :)
Examples:

Let's start with the anim Alex fixed for me (Thanks again ;)):

And I recently finished a new anim for SSJ Bardock, it's a back dash this time. I'm trying to learn to animate. Since these sprites were released, I got more interested in this kind of things. Like I said, I'm still learning but of course, c&c are always welcome. :)

I took back dash from Vegeta by Balthazar as reference, they were 2 frames but those silly things from Bardock's armour needed to be slowy moved, so, they're 4 frames. In my opinion, his hair is ok like that since it's a back dash and it's something fast.

@HQ: You should post the anims you posted the other day in the Extreme Butoden thread. They're interesting to be seen again.
@Alex Sinigaglia: Thanks for letting me create this thread, dude. ;)

Feel free to bump this topic (even if it gets old) with new sprites if you want. :)
Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 12:41:50 pm by AlexSin
Re: [Theme Thread] DBZ:EB Sprite thread
#2  June 29, 2015, 10:50:51 pm
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
Stupid question coming up, but if I want to make my own theme thread what do I need to do?

And just to stay on topic, I like that Bardock back dash. :)
This is a generic forum signature.
#3  June 29, 2015, 10:52:59 pm
    • Argentina
Having a style in mind you'd like to show and think people might be interested? That's how I created this one, Hatter. ^

Thank you :)
#4  June 30, 2015, 05:46:46 pm
HadeS, it's fine to move parts, but then make sure to re-draw them (preferably in a separate layer), I'm talking about the waist armor pads (I don't know how they're called). The hair is ok, the arm and shoulder shading could also not move in my opinion.

I made an in-between frame for this punch:
vs
It's the second frame of the animation on the left. The animation flows better, but the frame doesn't look right when watched alone:
Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 05:53:45 pm by Alex Sinigaglia
#5  June 30, 2015, 06:13:11 pm
    • Argentina
Thank you for the feedback, Alex. I tried to keep the same shading, so I wasn't messing them up. His shading on his arm and shoulder, I thought it was ok to do it since when we all move, the shade isn't always the same, even if it's "subtle".

The frame you added makes it look great. I think it still needs something but it's good :)

HQ

#6  June 30, 2015, 08:19:59 pm

-->
I took a quick stab at this 4 frame animation. Seeing how easy and fast these fixes are made, I really wonder why they didn't go for a few more frames there (if the spriter is doing the animation, it literally costs him only a few minutes to push these pixels around to create a "new" frame that makes the animation way smoother)

Also guys, use this as a small "tutorial" to add more frames inbetween to make these sprites mugen character worth material.

I think I edited some small pixel error in the stance

Here I edited two frames so it looks more smooth: (the legs switch has a weird axis on the rips, maybe Roshi does a stepforward in the game to create a smooth transistion there - I just placed them the way they were ripped here)

#7  June 30, 2015, 10:43:26 pm
    • USA
I made Goku shiny!

The sprite sheet didnt have any kind of....power down frames (possibly done with ingame effects) so I added some frames
#8  June 30, 2015, 10:47:00 pm
    • Argentina
@HQ: Thank you for posting your animations here too :D

@Karasai: I like what you did there. I did something simple for my Bardock but yours looks quite interesting too :D
#9  June 30, 2015, 10:56:20 pm
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
Damn HQ, those edits are sweet. I can already see the difference. Also loving Karasai's submissions. :D
#10  July 03, 2015, 01:08:51 am
  • Just a spriter/gamer
    • UK
    • quesab08@gmail.com
So I tried my hand at playing around with the Extreme Butouden sprites. Im still pretty new to the style and I don't have much experience with large sprites either, but heres what I managed to come up with

I want to try more of these, but it seems that anyone that I can think of has already been sprited in the style, so Ill be trying outfits. If you have any in mind that would be great
#11  July 03, 2015, 08:02:17 am
    • USA
That looks really good! Only problem I see with the sprite is the sleeve.

I tried out some palette separation, Frieza gave me too much of a headache

#12  July 03, 2015, 02:05:37 pm
    • Argentina
I love that Gohan! The Great Saiyaman is my favourite!
#13  July 05, 2015, 07:04:45 am
  • Helpful Hermit
    • USA
Semi-related. Just thought I'd toss my concept out for aura effects.

If you require my assistance, please feel free to contact me on Discord: 2DMirage#5299
Commissions/Requests are closed. Please do not ask.
#14  July 05, 2015, 03:32:22 pm
    • Argentina
Everything is welcome when it's related to DBZ:EB. So, thank you for sharing and I love that aura, I can imagine how it'd be animated. Are you planning to do that, Hoshi?
#15  July 05, 2015, 07:48:52 pm
  • Helpful Hermit
    • USA
Well I plan on swapping FlowaGirl's Broli's sprites out for his EB sprites, so anything I find on here I might use. But yeah, I'll be using these effects I'm making for his sprite set. I've already animated it with the program I have, though I use three separate programs for the effects.
If you require my assistance, please feel free to contact me on Discord: 2DMirage#5299
#16  July 05, 2015, 10:26:50 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
An update of Flowagirl's Broly with EB sprites will be very refreshing and a must-have.
Hope you manage to get all the sprites and anims you want. :)
#17  July 06, 2015, 05:40:27 am
  • Helpful Hermit
    • USA
There's not quite exactly what I'd need to do a straight swap. I'd either need to modify existing sprites, or replace them entirely with alternate attacks, which might be fun also.
#18  July 06, 2015, 05:52:53 am
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
Can Photoshop produce these kinds of effects or do I need specialized programs to make that sweet looking aura you did for Broly? Because I can't help but say GODDAMN THAT LOOKS BOOTIFUL> ;D
#19  July 06, 2015, 06:33:00 am
  • Helpful Hermit
    • USA
Can Photoshop produce these kinds of effects or do I need specialized programs to make that sweet looking aura you did for Broly? Because I can't help but say GODDAMN THAT LOOKS BOOTIFUL> ;D
I use three progams: Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, and TimelineFX.

TimelineFX for the simple effect.
Photoshop for resizing/other effects.
Paint Shop Pro for radial/motion blurring(it's function is miles better than Photoshop's)
Then back into Photoshop if I need to recolor them.
#20  July 07, 2015, 03:33:29 am
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
Don't forget a very important detail while spriting in this style:

You have to make sure your sprite is at least one head taller than a person of its body type would in a traditional fg, thus ensuing it'll never look quite right in mugen.