YesNoOk

games making women and men equal ? (Read 8075 times)

Started by Bastard Mami, October 16, 2007, 05:10:48 pm
Share this topic:
games making women and men equal ?
#1  October 16, 2007, 05:10:48 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Re: games making women and men equal ?
#2  October 16, 2007, 05:46:04 pm
  • .....?
I must not be playing enough games, my math skills suck.
Im low tier.
#3  October 16, 2007, 06:08:42 pm
  • Master Of The Fist
women fail at everything apart from one thing  ;)
#4  October 16, 2007, 06:50:18 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
fags disagree with you
#5  October 16, 2007, 07:46:24 pm
  • Bounty Hunting.....FOR PROFIT!
Anyone who has taken a college level psychology course would tell you that this is just CORRELATIONAL data and not CAUSATIONAL.

It's not like you are going to be able to read a difficult map any better if you played gta or not.

Also so you'd know there are alot of psychological studies that are biased.
#6  October 16, 2007, 07:54:47 pm
    • Germany
It's not like you are going to be able to read a difficult map any better if you played gta or not.

...why not?
#7  October 16, 2007, 08:06:07 pm
All they are saying is that playing a game COULD help you read difficult maps and not SHOULD help you read difficult maps.

Don't get me wrong, you theoretically could do well reading maps if you read a ton of them but it is no gurantee that you will be able to obtain the skills to read them.

Pretty much what I am saying is that it helps, but it doesn't mean that you will.

And when it comes with the sexes, we would more or less be equal by today's standards. But the real difference lies on the situations.

I laugh all the time when people say "it's hard being a guy/girl."
#8  October 16, 2007, 10:21:16 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
well, being a guy/girl must be hard.
#9  October 17, 2007, 12:15:47 am
well, being a guy/girl must be hard.

lol when I said guy/girl I meant guy or girl.

In my eyes women and men have always been equal. Pretty much the only difference I can see is merely anatomical.

Now in relevance of how hard it is to be a man or a woman; I laugh because they do not understand that there is a world beyond what they are considering.

#10  October 17, 2007, 12:28:52 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
what is hard is being an adult. either woman or man are going to have gender specific problems, due to the culture. then again it would not be rare of having unfair cultures, but hopefully that is not the norm.
#11  October 17, 2007, 12:59:16 am
  • Tends to lose track of things a lot. :/
    • www.mugenguild.com/~winane/
women fail at everything apart from one thing  ;)
That was merely intended as flamebait, right?  I'll not bite, gb2/b/.

Anyone who has taken a college level psychology course would tell you that this is just CORRELATIONAL data and not CAUSATIONAL.
Actually, unlike countless others, this particular study did find a causational relationship.  Read the abstract before jumping to conclusions.  It wasn't just your usual study finding some correlational relationship along the lines of "girls who opt to play videogames tend to be better at spatial perception".

As for bias, there's no way for us to determine whether that significantly influenced the results in this particular study.

But I believe I have found that, when driving a car, my spatial perception and awareness are subjectively improved if I've played a good bullet hell shmup shortly before driving.

In my eyes women and men have always been equal. Pretty much the only difference I can see is merely anatomical.
No.  While there is no (legal) way to be certain, the sense I've gotten is that, if you were to magically eliminate the effects of learning, life experience, cultural influences, yada yada, and were to only look at people's innate default psychological traits, then, I suspect that the range of variation in regards to each trait would be approximately the same, but the distribution would still be quite different.  And I believe analysis from an (admittedly inherently speculative/theoretical) evolutionary psychology perspective would support that conclusion, as different psychological traits would have been unequally advantageous to each gender over the long course of our species' evolution.
(Of course, I shouldn't need to point out that it would be a hugely enormous fallacy to derive from this the conclusion that each gender should not be granted essentially equal rights and status.)
Still quite busy.

(Yes, I intend to deal with that stuff eventually, but kinda can't just yet, sorry. :/ )
#12  October 17, 2007, 02:09:39 am
But I believe I have found that, when driving a car, my spatial perception and awareness are subjectively improved if I've played a good bullet hell shmup shortly before driving.
Well that's pretty straightforward, as it's related to having the brain "changes" reference. Stay for a while on the speedway, then just when you get in town, you feel for a short time like you're being slow, simply because the brain adjusted to "the base speed is XXXmp/h" and needs to adjust back to "base speed = XXmp/h". Or same again when your pupil is dilated at nighttime... Or Einstein's relativity altogether.
Hm, but that's not quite the same as learning on the long run to associate a "map" to a "position".
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#13  October 17, 2007, 02:42:00 am
  • üks kurb olend
    • Finland
conscious dreamers can be treasurer to their own currency
im a conscious dreamer
therefore i can be treasurer to my own currency

i can be the mind controller
#14  October 17, 2007, 04:09:32 am
  • Master Of The Fist
lmao, anyway am just letting my honeys know that i appreciate what women are good at  :sugoi:

i love women especially the way they smelll.
#15  October 17, 2007, 07:49:53 am
  • チョンリサ
    • Canada
you can't mixup a blind man, and you can't out think a brick ~skisonic
Street fighting is all about analysis, prediction, and reaction. That's it.

Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 07:53:06 am by TempesT
#16  October 17, 2007, 07:55:22 am
  • Notorious Procrastinator
  • Proudly banned from /r/mugen
    • USA
There's video proof disproving Spirit_Moon's assumption.  :-X
Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 07:58:42 am by VinnyJ
#17  October 17, 2007, 02:29:47 pm
what is hard is being an adult. either woman or man are going to have gender specific problems, due to the culture. then again it would not be rare of having unfair cultures, but hopefully that is not the norm.

I sure as hell agree with you there Poison. I guess society in general is so primal and childish in nature that people these days have no sense of what is right.

For example take some of the sexist assed comments made in this thread. I'm not a woman but I'm one of the fraction of males out there that actually listens to what women say.

And winane, you're right I did jump to a conclusion there. But given that I don't care to read everything in the article (I could care less. It's just another study.) I could only assume that since it was generated under controlled conditions that I cannot reguard it as emperical off the bat. Hell if I am lazy I'm not going to lie. I just choose not to believe in anything being causational without seeing the accredited proof for myself first. And no need to post the url of exactly where it is I'll go check.

#18  October 20, 2007, 04:40:58 pm
  • corner push pusher
I'm not going to waste my time posting a serious reply to this "study." It doesn't deserve one. All I can say is that this is complete and utter bullshit. The depiction of what gender you are has nothing to do in how you obtain, develop, and use your skills (whatever they may be). G-damn stigma....

:yes: I can't stress that comment enough.

I sure as hell agree with you there Poison. I guess society in general is so primal and childish in nature that people these days have no sense of what is right.

Maybe it has something to do with the abstract craziness and a TREMENDOUS amount of ignorance and gullibility in both young and old generations being tolerated.

I'm not a woman but I'm one of the fraction of males out there that actually listens to what women say.

About as rare as finding a black american female as a lead programmer for a game company (or better yet, a black female here in the guild).  :-X
#19  October 20, 2007, 04:59:55 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
tempest is black.
#20  October 20, 2007, 05:30:32 pm
  • corner push pusher
#21  October 20, 2007, 07:45:15 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
#22  October 20, 2007, 08:35:18 pm
  • mm music
    • mugenxero.deviantart.com
There certainly are rocking female gamers, *Rabbitecake, Amirite?*though the amount of women exposed to gaming is less, ergo less rocking female gamers. The bit about equality, I agree that men and women have had different problems varying from culture to culture, but I'd say that people of the female persuasion have had it in bulk worse than males.

I have many names, 
                            Chrisis X is my current sig :P

mugenxero.deviantart.com = Me
#23  October 21, 2007, 01:10:31 am
    • Germany
tempest is black.

Don't know who that is. I assume she's a guild member....guess I stand corrected :bushgoi:

Ooohhh burn :lugoi:

I'm not going to waste my time posting a serious reply to this "study." It doesn't deserve one. All I can say is that this is complete and utter bullshit. The depiction of what gender you are has nothing to do in how you obtain, develop, and use your skills (whatever they may be). G-damn stigma....

I disagree. There are differences in both anatomy and psychology, both more or less innate and/or due to society.

Here's an example:

Think you're a manager and you have to hire new personnel, a career starter type job. You have different candidates, enough in number to consider the skillset of male and female candidates completely equal for the job. Which leaves one difference no matter how you look at it - if you hire a female candidate, there is a probability that she will become pregnant and unproductive for a good time or completely leaves. Hiring a substitute or even a replacement is difficult and requires work, and chances are (depending on your local laws) you can't even fire her because she is protected during her pregnancy and X months after birth.

So in this situation, if both genders are available as candidates (which is usually the case), you can't grudge any personnel manager if he chooses male over female employees, this has always been and will always be the case, which makes it harder for women to start a career.

People shouldn't try to abandon the differences or deny them, but learn to work with them. Gravity and Rain are nuisances sometimes, too - but we don't try to abandon them, do we? :P
#24  October 21, 2007, 01:29:30 am
  • チョンリサ
    • Canada

#25  October 21, 2007, 01:31:31 am
    • Germany
So that defensive attitude means you would consider a black self inferior to your current one? That's racism, Miss.
#26  October 21, 2007, 01:33:04 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
So that defensive attitude means you would consider a black self inferior to your current one? That's racism, Miss.

Oh you.

Funny, can hardly recognize most of the people around, there are people with six stars who I have never even seen... have I been away that long...?
#27  October 21, 2007, 01:33:15 am
  • チョンリサ
    • Canada
Uhhhmmm....eggs?

I'm not sure what you mean exactly, if you mean that I see black women inferior to me? Then that is totally not the case. Maybe in gaming ability, but not as a human.

#28  October 21, 2007, 01:39:14 am
    • Germany
Uhhhmmm....eggs?

...chewbacca defense?

I'm not sure what you mean exactly, if you mean that I see black women inferior to me? Then that is totally not the case. Maybe in gaming ability, but not as a human.

:laugh:

Funny, can hardly recognize most of the people around, there are people with six stars who I have never even seen... have I been away that long...?

No, but stars are easier to get.
#29  October 21, 2007, 04:44:52 am
  • duwa duwa
i always thought and hate gamer girls who are fat  suck at ddr/ds games. and have cat ears on their head >:(
then tempest came along... then i saw nightmare, then i saw these two Hawaiian  girls who destroy people in mvc2...s o yea some girls are ok while the rest have cat ears >:(

like cars in reverse ,  ya better back up

Bea

#30  October 22, 2007, 12:44:14 pm
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org
Having being on both "sides" of the discussion at matter, I can easily say that playing videogames never helped my poor spatial perception in either condition.

During the time I was unsure (ie. I still thought I could live as a boy), my spatial perception was awful. And I played lots of video games.
Now that I'm sure and my brain is under the rule of feminine hormones, my spatial perception is still as bad as it was before. And I keep playing lots of games. :P

Heck, I even get lost in 3d maps if the place textures and objects are too similar.  :P

So, sorry, but I have good reasons to think that such study results are flawed.
Princess Adora: "My friend saw She-Ra take her dress off in the shower. She said she has an 8 pack. She said She-Ra is shredded."

SF2NES is dead. Long live SF2NES.
Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 12:58:22 pm by Bia
#31  October 22, 2007, 01:11:19 pm
    • Philippines
    • https://web.archive.org/web/20181226221429/http://moogen.piiym.net/
#32  October 23, 2007, 05:57:09 am
  • チョンリサ
    • Canada
Shaddap Mgenz

#33  October 23, 2007, 12:42:35 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/

No, but stars are easier to get.
And I want back the old system, or even make it :
100 = 2 stars
500 = 3 stars
1000 = 4 stars
5000 = 5 stars
10000 = 6 stars
50000 = 6 black stars. :ninja:

So, sorry, but I have good reasons to think that such study results are flawed.
This study doesn't apply to every single woman, it would be too simple. Not all women have bad space perception, and video games cannot help all women on Earth.
Hey, how about the "general assumption" that women are not very good at computing, especially when in comes to fields such as C/C++/C#, Java, etc. but you're here to show this is not always true, aren't you ? :P
#34  October 23, 2007, 12:44:24 pm
    • Philippines
    • https://web.archive.org/web/20181226221429/http://moogen.piiym.net/
#35  October 23, 2007, 01:16:19 pm
  • チョンリサ
    • Canada
Actually that was a typo that I didnt notice. But it works either way.

#36  October 23, 2007, 05:58:00 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Hey, how about the "general assumption" that women are not very good at computing, especially when in comes to fields such as C/C++/C#, Java, etc. but you're here to show this is not always true, aren't you ? :P

she is cheating ...