YesNoOk

Kingdom Hearts General Thread (Read 179756 times)

Started by Formerly Hoshi, October 15, 2013, 08:38:41 am
Share this topic:
Re: Kingdom Hearts General Thread
#121  November 04, 2016, 01:06:32 am
I've tried to get into 1 like 3 times now and failed. I can deal with the normal gameplay despite it being bad, but the gummi ship crap has killed me every time. I've learned enough about the story, mainly through watching 358/2 Days cutscenes from 1.5 and crying like a bitch, that I am interested enough to push my way through it though. At some point. Probably.
#122  November 04, 2016, 03:15:35 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Having somewhat recently gotten a PS3, played through all of 1.5 and even more recently just beat II Final Mix, as near perfect as II's gameplay can be, I echo there's some serious attachment I have to the first game.

There's a smoothness to the flow of combat that II's higher speeds and more irratic actions just don't mimic quite as well.  There's something I just love about tech points through not just defending but reflecting attacks by taking risks.  There's more to the individual Disney worlds, which II counters with more worlds and more diverse choices like Tron of all places to learn I'd love to explore, but the original game is the only one to get The Little Mermaid down right.  Outside gameplay, the story's more compact and feels complete when you defeat Ansem and close the titular Kingdom Hearts, rather than...opening another door called Kingdom Hearts, but not the exact same one you closed before but also not the heart-shaped moon also borrowing the same name, to go fight an unfeeling copy of the last boss.  Both are emotional in their own ways, but I cared more for the characters throughout in the first adventure.  The second's all covered in mystery and confusion with names and faces stolen left and right, that you don't really connect until after it all plays out.  I'd venture that Chain of Memories was more emotional in the end, actually, but then CoM wasn't a happy tale to begin with, was it?

That all said, leveling up from simple beginnings in II to being able to endlessly fly everywhere is bliss, the original's sense of flying doesn't compare.  II was the best progression the series could ask for in gameplay.
#123  November 04, 2016, 03:50:10 am
  • (´ー`)ノ
#124  November 04, 2016, 04:04:51 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
As a burly beefy gentleman I have no problems admitting I openly shed tears the moment Simple and Clean started playing during the final scene of Kingdom Hearts 1
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#125  November 04, 2016, 04:05:32 am
    • USA
Sora dying for a bit in the first game,  The moment Simple and Clean starts when Destiny Islands breaks off from the Heartless world in the first game's ending,  Kairi drawing a response to Sora's doodle of giving her a fruit in that same ending.  Xion accepting her fading from all existance and Roxas' confusion over it all, Sora returning Kairi's seashell charm as she helps him up.  Just to name a few.

It's not exactly Steven Universe but it has its share of moments.
#126  November 04, 2016, 04:53:53 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
To be perfectly fair though there are a LOT of moments in this series that are clearly intended to be heavy and emotional that are completely sandbagged by the fact that Donald Damn Duck is standing two feet off to the side yukking it up.
#127  November 04, 2016, 06:44:59 am
  • (´ー`)ノ
Or the terrible dialogue and writing.

The Simple and Clean moment in KH1 worked well since it was done fairly well as it had great visuals, and it had no dumb dialogue to drag it down, just a good reaction from Kairi seeing Sora's drawing and the music playing, it's really nice, I wish I could say other emotional moments in the series were done that well but sadly a lot of them really get ruined because of the dialogue.
Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 06:51:51 am by Impact Font

lui

#128  November 04, 2016, 07:00:58 am
    • USA
they sound much better in japanese, though the dialogue is still hokey as hell, it isn't as bad as sora's lame voice actor
#129  November 04, 2016, 02:24:50 pm
    • Philippines
    • https://web.archive.org/web/20181226221429/http://moogen.piiym.net/
Well you're certainly the first person I've seen who actually thinks Haley as Sora is lame. He's a great voice actor (especially his performance as Vanitas) it's just Sora's not the kind of character that is meant for powerful emotional scenes unless it's a voiceless cutscene like the KH1 ending. He's like the Disney characters in a way.

lui

#130  November 04, 2016, 04:27:44 pm
    • USA
haley when he was younger did a good performance as him in KH1, but after that it just sounds like he's phoning it in once he gets a deeper voice imo he lacks any depth to the character and doesn't really impress with his performance as well as the other characters
#131  November 07, 2016, 08:03:05 pm
  • The Ultimate Shield
  • I WANT IT ALL!!!
haley when he was younger did a good performance as him in KH1, but after that it just sounds like he's phoning it in once he gets a deeper voice imo he lacks any depth to the character and doesn't really impress with his performance as well as the other characters

I feel like it's been the opposite, but to each their own.  I was very impressed with him in Dream Drop Distance personally, while KH1... was mostly painful.
GOH: bmc would tell birds that they're broken because they shouldn't air recover.
#132  November 07, 2016, 09:15:20 pm
  • I am become Death, Destroyer of Tiers
    • UK
KH1 and 2 were alright.
Re:Com and Re:Coded were kinda awkward as he was using the KH2 voice as KH1 Sora.

KH3D Sora was fucking abysmal. Actually fucking terrible. Although i blame Square Enix/Nomura for putting Sora in his KH1 body AGAIN. But still, i actually cringed everytime he spoke.

Vanitas is golden though.
#133  December 08, 2016, 09:54:12 pm
  • Professional Procrastinator
  • Roman Numerals and Decimals should never mix.
    • USA
New trailer.

Outfit customization is pretty interesting.
#134  December 08, 2016, 10:12:16 pm
  • I am become Death, Destroyer of Tiers
    • UK
-We Kalos now
-Haley is still using the fake ass young voice and i fucking hate it
-Why do the enemies have so much HP?
#135  December 08, 2016, 11:41:09 pm
  • (´ー`)ノ
It sounds fucking terrible yeah
#136  December 09, 2016, 01:39:25 am
  • ?
    • Canada
    • m_di_g@hotmail.com
I guess my headcanon for Sora's shitty english voice as of dream drop distance is that puberty is hitting Sora hard lmfao
#137  December 09, 2016, 02:08:22 am
  • Democracy is non-negotiable.
  • coding nearly done, supers and AI left.
    • USA
    • www.patreon.com/melcore?fan_landing=true&view_as=public
#138  December 09, 2016, 04:10:28 am
    • USA
I'll play devil's advocate, I don't hate the voice for all of the 3 seconds he used it in the trailer.  Not sure how used to it I will be when actually playing the full thing though.
#139  December 09, 2016, 03:37:34 pm
    • Philippines
    • https://web.archive.org/web/20181226221429/http://moogen.piiym.net/
It's actually much deeper than what he did in Re:Coded/DDD.
#140  June 11, 2017, 07:42:46 am
  • Professional Procrastinator
  • Roman Numerals and Decimals should never mix.
    • USA
New trailer
Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 08:07:29 am by Moon Girard