YesNoOk

Would you pay for a commercial mugen clone? ShugenDo (Read 2966 times)

Started by SakirSoft, August 20, 2018, 07:05:47 pm
Share this topic:

Poll

Would you pay for a commercial mugen clone?

Yes
9 (29%)
10$
4 (12.9%)
20$
3 (9.7%)
30$
3 (9.7%)
No
12 (38.7%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Would you pay for a commercial mugen clone? ShugenDo
#1  August 20, 2018, 07:05:47 pm
    • www.sakirsoft.com
It's a long time ago and maybe some of you remember me.
I am huge mugen fan myself and long time ago when elecbyte disappeared with no sign for winmugen, I decided to write a mugen clone named ShugenDo.

I got quite far back in the days but then elecbyte reappeared and I did not made sense to me to continue my effort.
Now I see we are in the same situation and I also see that mugen shows signs of its age.

From my point of view there is a lot of potential in having a beat em up engine like mugen
and also a lot of potential to improve it.

I would like to recreate ShugenDo with current state of the art technology, but before I go to much  into the details, I would like to know if there would be a commercial backing which would allow me to work on it full time. So that's why I did the pool.

To recap what ShugenDo was capable of here some videos.

Theser Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM9A80wk3mc

Platform Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8VGXFXDULg

XBOX Port
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beA8ee8NSig

PSP Port
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0b31nLYGcI

2 vs 2 with zoom before mugen had it :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPjVAJdBdXI

Best
SakirSoft

Here you can find ShugenDo
www.sakirsoft.com
Re: Would you pay for a commercial mugen clone? ShugenDo
#2  August 20, 2018, 07:16:26 pm
    • USA
    • twitter.com/inktrebuchet
I’m happy to see you back!

Would this be compatible with MUGEN files?
#3  August 20, 2018, 07:41:44 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
My bet is on no, considering how the current mugen clones are faring, so for my game engine I am making a tool to convert mugen content to the engine's format.

That adn making games using that engine is how I see it feasible to comercialize it.
#4  August 20, 2018, 07:50:18 pm
    • www.sakirsoft.com
Currently I am thinking about the following options.

Option 1: Full Mugen Support

This would imply that you could load any mugen character without any change and it would just work.
But this would also imply that the clone would be a 1:1 of mugen clone and would limit the effort.
Because I have also to implement bugs in ShugenDo to have the same behavior, which I did in the past.
This is not my favorit option, but having so much content out there already makes me thing about it.

Option 2: Partial file format support

In this option all the assets like images, animations, sounds , collsions boxes would be supported directly but we would have a different scripting engine. The scripting engine is the heart of every mugen character but also the most fragile part in mugen. It is hard to create complex characters, debugging and rapid development are not easy to handle. So in this case it would be a mixture of loading content 1:1 but having a different scripting system which would enable better features. This would also imply that the characters have to be rewritten, which I see as a huge burden but the amount of content.

Option 3: Convert content to new custom format.

In this case the content like images, animations sound etc, would have to be converted and it could be used as a base to recreate the characters. This would also imply a huge cost to convert to the new engine. But then the character could be written with advanced tooling support and with having the new engine in mind.

www.sakirsoft.com
#5  August 20, 2018, 07:54:23 pm
    • www.sakirsoft.com
My bet is on no, considering how the current mugen clones are faring, so for my game engine I am making a tool to convert mugen content to the engine's format.

That adn making games using that engine is how I see it feasible to comercialize it.

Yeah lets see, I am curious. Your suggestion goes into option 2-3 in my previous post.
Without commercial backing I don`t see any success in doing a clone/new beatem up engine.
www.sakirsoft.com
#6  August 20, 2018, 08:00:20 pm
    • www.sakirsoft.com

Btw whats the status of your engine? Any picture or videos?
www.sakirsoft.com
#7  August 20, 2018, 09:39:08 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
I have not put up videos or pictures yet.

it was intended to be an internal game engine for full game development, with the ide, etc.. being added as the games progressed; but the company died. A lot of objects can be scripted, it supports netplay and is based on the monogame library. the ide right now is pretty crappy as most of the editing can be done with public tools; the script, configuration and animation files are json files, sprites are png sheets, etc...

There is more info in this thread.

http://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/fighters-generator-previosuly-nekoconeko-new-fighting-game-engine-182241.0.html
#8  August 21, 2018, 12:57:55 am
this is impressive!!! awesome.....

animated portraits
color selection
animated stage selection....

very good! what shame the project is stopped for many years.....

with a filter option like on openbor implemented it will be perfect.

#9  August 21, 2018, 04:34:22 am
  • MvC Adict!!
    • Argentina
    • marvelvscapcomextreme.000webhostapp.com
Keep it up the good work, I´m anxious to see where you could go with this project, if you can clone or get better mugen 1.1 it´s a HUGE step.
Marvel vs Capcom Extreme (find the MvC2 characters project right here too!):
marvelvscapcomextreme.000webhostapp.com

Follow the project on:
www.instagram.com/marvelvscapcomextreme/
www.youtube.com/c/MarvelvsCapcomExtreme
www.player.me/marvelvscapcomextreme/

I recieved messages of users that want to donate from paypal or patreon, if you consider that this is a nice and very dedicated project, you can donate any amount that you want right here:
www.paypal.me/marianoemeschini
#10  August 21, 2018, 01:00:39 pm
    • djjosehisterico@gmail.com
Hey Sahin! good to see you again! I show the videos and you used the old version of shugendo, do you have plans to update this version or you work with the last engine that you work? See you.
#11  August 22, 2018, 01:23:57 am
  • I like Ai's
Psh, I'm willing to pay something a month...MUGEN has been apart of my life for about 10+ years and I ain't stopping anytime soon. I noticed it has died quite a lot over the years...innovation is long due
#12  August 22, 2018, 06:58:47 am
    • Brazil
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100074220240917
good luck in all
#13  August 29, 2018, 04:33:38 am
i followed some of what shugendo and what u did after that looking for a release xD
but imo if u wanna go commercial you shouldnt take "mugen" content into consideration because most of already created "mugen content" cant be selled anyway
is very little the ammout of original works and if you are gonna make an engine that is mugen like but has better capabilities due to being modern. is a total go to me
atleast small indie teams would like it. and a lot more if they can "sell" their creation afterwards, so paying for it would not be an issue