YesNoOk

Vortex Lifebar Custom Portrait Threadamajig (Read 20830 times)

Started by PlasmoidThunder, April 21, 2014, 02:06:40 pm
Share this topic:
Vortex Lifebar Custom Portrait Threadamajig
New #1  April 21, 2014, 02:06:40 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
So hey. You havin' trouble makin' portraits for these lifebars? Or perhaps you wanna share 'em for others to use? Then look no further, 'cause I'mma gonna stop talkin' like this 'n' show you how it's done.

There are two portraits for these lifebars: 9000,29 and 9000,30, which represent the P1/P2 portraits and the P3/P4/Turns portaits, respectively. Once you've made the 9000,29 portraits, the 9000,30 ones become much easier (you'll see why when we get to it).

Before we start, make sure you've got something like Photoshop, GIMP, Fireworks, etc. Basically anything that can open .psd files, has image layering, at least a sharpening tool and the ability to index an image. Yeah, that means MS Paint will have to be pushed aside for this one, sorry.

Prerequisites
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Portrait 9000,29

Portrait 9000,30

The Fighter Factory Trilogy

Fudging Annoying Questions
Q: My portraits are too small in-game, even though they're the correct size. Whyzis?
A: Chances are, the character has localcoords and the portraits need to be resized and repositioned accordingly. Nice example is The 100 Mega Shock!'s stuff, which use localcoords to scale all their big ol' sprites; for his characters, you'll need to upscale the portraits by 300%.

Q: Can I request portraits?
A: I guess so. Just don't flood this thread with requests please. I'm going to say 3 requests maximum.

Q: Can we show off our portraits here?
A: That would be the point of this thread, yes. Also of note, there's a portraits .zip file on my SkyDrive that I hope to update every so often. Everyone's portraits that they put on here will be put in there.

Q: Are you PlasmoidThunder?
A: That's not relevant, but yes.

Q: Can you make these lifebars for other resolutions?
A: I probably could. Doesn't mean I will.

Q: The select screen icon for my character has messed-up colours after inserting these portraits. Why?
A: I'm not actually sure, but I am familiar with this problem. I solved it by exporting the icon from Fighter Factory, deleting the icon from the sprite file and re-inserting it. The only characters this has happened on are those that don't have their select icon at the front of the sprite file, though moving the select icon with FF's Organiser tool doesn't seem to fix this.

Oh, and release thread, in case you missed it.
Also, Portraits.zip I mentioned.

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 02:15:16 pm by GarchompMatt