YesNoOk

DQ3 Priestess KFX port (Read 38463 times)

Started by NotAGoodName, March 27, 2018, 07:24:17 am
Share this topic:
DQ3 Priestess KFX port
#1  March 27, 2018, 07:24:17 am
    • USA

Because I am a nefarious person, I am in the process of porting this ancient KFX character to Mugen.  I'm using as much actual data from the original files as possible because why not?  Unfortunately, KFX does things differently from Mugen, so that's why I've posted this.

1) Framerate
KFX apparently runs at 25fps?  I'm currently using a table I've concocted to port frame durations to 60fps and I'm using velocity/2 to port KFX vels to Mugen.  So far, so good, based on sheer luck, but maybe I should just port it as if it's 30fps before I start getting too deep into this?  The two crouching kick slides are accurate, but they just happen to use durations that are the same as d*2 while moving.  Either way, my animations aren't moving the same speed as the KFX character editing software displays it, so...

2) Sounds and sparks
Character didn't come with any.  I'm using ROTD sounds and sparks that I've modified to not flicker because I don't like it.  I guess I could use CVS2?  I think these sprites suit the ROTD/Matrimelee style better, but whatever.  I'm not doing both.

3) Character data
I don't know how much health characters have in KFX.  Judging by the damage of attacks, it might be 100.  If my translated readme is any use, it might also be 144 because I have an attack doing 72 damage that is apparently intended to finish off an opponent at 50% health.  If anyone happens to know, it'd be helpful.

I totally guess and checked gravity.  Not sure if KFX uses any sort of friction system, so I'm just using what numbers I had available there.  I'm just bullshitting hitdef velocities for now because I haven't determined how KFX handles that.  I bet it's really simplified, though.  Haven't figured out normal canceling, but I know it's a thing.

If anyone has any other characters for KFX worth looking at, I'd like to take a gander.  I need all of the files.  Not just the char.bmp or a sprite sheet.
Re: DQ3 Priestess KFX port
#2  March 27, 2018, 03:38:45 pm
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
What's KFX?
#3  March 27, 2018, 04:07:54 pm
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
Knuckle Fighter X, I assume
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#4  March 27, 2018, 05:08:39 pm
  • Eat Shit.
    • USA
    • brokkenshoe@live.com
Yeah its Knuckle Fighter X. The game can run at 60 fps all you need to do is just press f5 once the intro ends. Characters in Knuckle Fighter usually use 1000 for health by default. the velocities for attack you just kind of do a lot of trial and error with honestly. Just do whatever feels right for those thats what ive done usually. Anyways, man its nice to see someone else doing some KFX besides myself and If you want more characters worth looking at i suppose message me I might have some for you.
#5  March 28, 2018, 07:15:19 am
    • USA
#6  March 28, 2018, 08:42:13 am
    • USA
Sweet! The priest was one of my favorite character classes from DQ3 along with Sage and Soldier. I'm assuming either of the two will be made next.
#7  March 28, 2018, 09:16:35 am
  • Eat Shit.
    • USA
    • brokkenshoe@live.com
Sage and Solider are non-existent in Knuckle Fighter Endless. 蒼い湿布 Only ever sprited the priestess and thats it.
#8  March 28, 2018, 04:57:10 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
I was going to comment on how I have a sprite set of priest, but then I remembered I edited the silly hat out of the sprites :P
#9  March 29, 2018, 04:14:22 pm
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
Well she will need some extra frames of animation.
#10  March 30, 2018, 11:41:33 am
    • USA
I don't need no stinkin' extra frames of animation.  Projhitanims are for the weak.  You'll get 4 frames for all of your hit states and you'll like it.

Retimed for 30 to 60fps.  Finished normals.  Worked out KFX normal canceling.  It's not complicated.  This character just makes it hard by only having 2.  Worked out hitvels, or at least found a method I like.  Added backhop.  Added teleport.  Created a taunt because reasons.  Added the first of a million projectile moves.

Double projectile move method is probably not accurate to the original, but the animation would look dumb throwing out a second fireball as late as possible.  This double strike sort of thing is much better.

This character will wind up being targeted at being a 2v2 support character.  She's rangey and has lots of projectiles to spam with, but that's about it.  There's some moves for healing which I'm not going to accurately port for obvious reasons.  Her only normal cancels are LK and HK.  LK,HK,HP should be a valid combo, but she's so slow and her knees so short ranged that it doesn't work.  That leaves you with HK,HP and whatever HK,specials wind up able to connect.  That silly command move is going to be a thing you spam for power, because there's no other reason to have it.
#11  April 04, 2018, 10:16:51 am
  • KnuckleFighter
    • Japan
    • www2u.biglobe.ne.jp/~oemix/
Excuse me.
This original creator hates reprint.
He has it stopped publishing due to that in the past.

Would you please contact him directly if I could.

It is his twitter account.
https://twitter.com/aoi_ship
#12  April 04, 2018, 04:16:03 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Yeah, I remember that, bnut has not he quit since several years ago anyway ?
#13  April 04, 2018, 05:42:28 pm
    • USA

Yes, I can use Google Translate and am aware that this is one of those guys that rage quits when people actually enjoy his work.  This character was released over 10 years ago.  I'm not contacting him.

In other news.  I'm probably almost done.  Need to finish two more DMs and work out the damage scale because 1:10 is way too high, even for a statue-esc projectile spammer.  I might even actually bother installing KFX to get some more ideas about how some these attacks are supposed to work.  The main one in particular is a throw attack that I'm not sure about.  Looks like characters supply their own hit states, but I don't see how KFX knows which one it uses (hardcoded?).

Making all of these helper projectiles is really tedious and I'm sure they will be buggy against some random character that I never use.