YesNoOk

Hip-Hop Discussion Thread (Read 90782 times)

Started by D'Evil, April 15, 2013, 07:23:55 pm
Share this topic:
Hip-Hop Discussion Thread
#1  April 15, 2013, 07:23:55 pm
  • "Draw Pilgrim" or something.
    • USA
Re: Hip-Hop Discussion Thread
#2  April 15, 2013, 07:30:00 pm
  • Estoy siempre listo para un desafío.
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
The genre is dead.
The music out today is not hip hop.
Oh god i wish 2pac, Big, and Pun were still around, where would hip hop be at then?
#3  April 15, 2013, 07:40:03 pm
  • The Only Easy Day was Yesterday
    • USA
    • www.facebook.com/truemicah
The genre isn't dead.  It's evolved just as Mugen all music has.
Notable artists:
- Shing02
- Old Kanye
- Knowmads
- Macklemore
- Black El x Durkin
- Blue Scholars
- Dumbfoundead
- Shad the Old Prince
There are many more but I don't feel like naming them because I'm lazy and tired.
#4  April 15, 2013, 07:45:16 pm
    • USA
lol @ dusthead elitists such as yourself. 90s rap is held to such a high standard it's ridiculous, and quite frankly you come across as a typical Youtube commentator. When you have guys like Kendrick Lamar, Big KRIT, Joey Bada$$, Tyler The Creator, Ab Soul, Asher Roth, Earl Sweatshirt, Domo Genesis, Curren$y, Death Grips, Flatbush Zombies, Sadistik, Pusha T, J. Cole, Cudi, A$AP Rocky, Danny Brown, Action Bronson, along with many other young stars & veterans like Eminem, Brother Ali, Kanye West, Aesop Rock, Jay-Z, Nas, Illogic, Ghostface Killah(Hell the majority of Wu is still around) releasing shit you have nothing to back up such a ridiculous claim.

Also Pac=ridiculously overrated, from a lyrical/flow/just about everything standpoint he was nothing incredible.

And as a closing statement I find it absolutely ridiculous that you have the audacity to say than an entire genre of music has completely declined when you clearly have put forth no effort to find good artists in the genre today.
Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 07:53:09 pm by D'Evil
#5  April 15, 2013, 07:56:09 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
lol @ dusthead elitists such as yourself. 90s rap is held to such a high standard it's ridiculous, and quite frankly you come across as a typical Youtube commentator. When you have guys like Kendrick Lamar, Big KRIT, Joey Bada$$, Tyler The Creator, Ab Soul, Death Grips, Flatbush Zombies, Sadistik, Pusha T, Cudi, A$AP Rocky, Danny Brown, Action Bronson, & veterans like Eminem, Brother Ali, Kanye West, Aesop Rock, Nas, Ghostface Killah(Hell the majority of Wu is still around) releasing shit you have nothing to back up such a ridiculous claim.

Also Pac=ridiculously overrated, from a lyrical/flow/just about everything standpoint he was nothing incredible.

Im old, i grew up with the 80,s and 90,s hip hop.
I dont consider the crunk music out today Hip Hop, thats a different genre in its own.
What i ment when i said its dying is that mainstream wise they dead.
Underground yeah its still poppin, but whats the majority of the music out on TV and on radio?
Bullshit about poppin mollys and all gold everything.
#6  April 15, 2013, 08:02:57 pm
    • USA
You've got to dig deep to find gold Memo, Lol.
Ignore the maistream and go search for music on your own.  You won't be disappointed by the new guys out today. :P
Who do you listen to?

I've never listened to Big Kritt but I'll definitely be checking em out. :)
#7  April 15, 2013, 08:04:41 pm
    • USA
I dont consider the crunk music out today Hip Hop, thats a different genre in its own.
Underground yeah its still poppin, but whats the majority of the music out on TV and on radio?

Lol at this when the majority of the artists I mentioned aren't underground. There are about 5 people in the entire list I made that fit that label.

Also to say that a genre is dead is essentially slandering the entire genre, including both the mainstream and "underground".

I've never listened to Big Kritt but I'll definitely be checking em out. :)
Hope you enjoy, his style has a very soulful and southern flavor to it, if that's your thing you'll probably really enjoy it. It's great regardless imo.
Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 08:09:57 pm by D'Evil
#8  April 15, 2013, 08:05:20 pm
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
Maybe he's not as good as the guys you mentioned but I've been listening to a lot of Childish Gambino lately.  Some people would say he's corny as fuck but I don't care, every time I listen to him I find new clever word twists n shit in his songs, makes them have replay value in addition to being good music. 
#9  April 15, 2013, 08:12:15 pm
    • USA
Gambino is someone I've been meaning to give a listen to but haven't got to yet. I've heard as you have that he's corny but at the same time I hear he has a really "nerdy", punchline oriented style and that appeals to me tbh.
#10  April 15, 2013, 08:20:40 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
[quote author=MEMo_fng link=topic=149837.msg1748715#msg1748715 da

Lol at this when the majority of the artists I mentioned aren't underground. There are about 5 people in the entire list I made that fit that label.

Also to say that a genre is dead is essentially slandering the entire genre, including both the mainstream and "underground".
[/quote]

Out of your list, Pusha T, Tyler the Creator, Brother Ali, Illogic, Eminem,and Kendrick  they dope yeah i admit it.
Wu=Dead
Nas=Dead
Jay z= he bout to be at the pearly gates soon too.
Kanye=He gonna be dead if he dont stop doing his wierd shit where he be rockin skirts.
Cudi=i loved his last CD but where he at now?
Asap=same thing about Kanye

To TRUEMicha i still be listen to the old school, i love that old story telling,
that shit you could close your eyes too and imagine everything playing out in your head like a movie.

These boys right here the Black Knights, i like music like this. This to me is hip hop true story telling.

#11  April 15, 2013, 08:26:04 pm
  • Legend now but still learning
    • USA
    • http://cvsnb.deviantart.com/
i fucking hate mainstream Crap,Everything became Quantity then Quality,Funny thing is, Coming from a black male.Its funny other races beside blacks know what is real hip hop is compare to my own Kind. Straight facts, I heard white folks,Asian,Spanish even damn Indians knows great hip-hop artist's like "Tribe call quest,mos def, black though ,De la soul,Nas,Redman,Method man and more" 90s hiphop was the best era and 80s. Rap is what you do,Emceeing is what you live.

Kenderick was hot when he was doing His LP then he became shit when he start becoming all Mainstream but hey its whatever everyone have their opinion on what they like but no can say 80s and 90s hiphop Open the door for these untalented artists of today on what you called Crap-hop
#12  April 15, 2013, 08:27:47 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
Im with you on this one C.v.s.
#13  April 15, 2013, 08:29:28 pm
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
What has Kendrick done that you can honestly call shit, aside from his lackluster features on other peoples' songs.
#14  April 15, 2013, 08:42:35 pm
    • USA
His collab tracks are garbage when he collab with weird as feminine arist like drake,Wayne, two chainz and more.
That what i meant him going Mainstream. (falling out your Place just to appeal to Lame listener who wanna hear yah rap about typical everyday shit all rapper now a days rap about and not sounding to original"
#15  April 15, 2013, 08:45:44 pm
Kendrick is not becoming shit. GKMC fits in right along with the rest of his tapes/albums and the only stuff he's made that I don't like is C4 and some of his earlier work.

Rap is what you do,Emceeing is what you live.

You can't seriously expect every artist to do what they say in their raps. Just view music as music, though I grow tired of rappers flossin on every track like most of us give a damn.

Cudi's new album Indicud is not bad at all given you liked his style from the get-go, though I reaaaally liked MotM II: Mr. Rager.

You cannot be serious. I agree in that hip hop is definitely not dead but you have GOT to be kidding me.
#16  April 15, 2013, 08:50:13 pm
    • USA
i said his Mainstream work is Shit! damn why is no one is listening! and i already gave my reason.

Rap is what you do= you Just rap just to rap= soulja boy,Chief keef,Rick ross and more
EmCEEE IS WHAT YOU LIVE= TUPAC emcee about everything that went in his Life ,Even tho i hate lil wayne  he is also consider a emcee aswell but just a poor quality emcee.
#17  April 15, 2013, 08:54:23 pm
    • USA
A rapper is someone who focuses on producing high production tracks, puts in massive studio time, believes mass publication > lyrical quality/depth.
MC is someone who focuses on intense word play, puts in massive mic time, believes lyrical quality/depth >mass publication
#18  April 15, 2013, 08:55:50 pm
    • USA
Kanye=He gonna be dead if he dont stop doing his wierd shit where he be rockin skirts.

Congratulations, I now am incapable of taking your opinion seriously.

And Kendrick's "mainstream shit" is amazing. GKMC was the album of '12 tbh.
#19  April 15, 2013, 08:56:39 pm
    • USA
A rapper is someone who focuses on producing high production tracks, puts in massive studio time, believes mass publication > lyrical quality/depth.
MC is someone who focuses on intense word play, puts in massive mic time, believes lyrical quality/depth >mass publication

That also Part of the Example, you on point and here another good example
#20  April 15, 2013, 08:58:19 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com

Congratulations, I now am incapable of taking your opinion seriously.

And Kendrick's "mainstream shit" is amazing. GKMC was the album of '12 tbh.

Well you shouldnt of made this tread then if you can take others opinions, how old are you? where you around when real Hip Hop was poppin?